Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May flies

Options
  • 03-05-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi all :D ,

When will the may-fly start to hatch??? on the rivers i herd that they will be late is that true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

going to be late everywhere! we were dapping this time last yr!!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

In 2 weeks times give or take a few days. Maybe a bit sooner if we get a lot of hot weather in the next 5days. Mayfly comps will be a disaster which is good news for the trout

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭whelzer

Seen 6 Mayfly yesterday on the Nore - they are truely a great sight!, also Yellow Mays, Large Dark Olives, Iron Blues, a small brown sedge which I couldn't identify, as well as the usual small black stuff.

The fish weren't really on anything - most of the fish I caught were on DHEs size 16...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Saw one Mayfly on Corrib on Sunday but it looked rather lonely...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

was on lough ree sunday and not a sign, be another while yet, did get a nice 2 pound trout dapping though.

goss101 wrote: »
    was on lough ree sunday and not a sign, be another while yet, did get a nice 2 pound trout dapping though.

as a matter of interest......what were you dapping with - an artificial?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭goss101

yeah, got 3 rises and only hooked the one, didn't get out at the weekend so not sure if there's any sign of flies yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No flies on lough ree yet.

• Advertisement

Flies starting to be collected on Corrib at long last. There was a relatively small hatch around noon but god knows where they are now as the wind has increased substantially this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

No flies on lough ree yet.

Any sign of a hatch yet?

decdon wrote: »
    Any sign of a hatch yet?

Nope
    Too cold still.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Water temp still a shade low, that cold east wind put the whole season back three weeks.
    Bit of heat tomorrow and next week will buck them up.

fly are starting to hatch on ree, but very slow, this week coming is supposed to be very warm so hopefully it will kick on this week

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Good few shucks on the corrib today, must have been a decent hatch of them in the morning, a few around in the afternoon but fish not showing much interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Ok will the hatch be rivers be the same when the corrib mayflies are hatching?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Eriesniper wrote: »
    Ok will the hatch be rivers be the same when the corrib mayflies are hatching?

No necessarily, what rivers are you talking about ?
    The hatches vary due to local conditions. L. Derg for example traditionally is 2 weeks earlier than Corrib so rivers in that area should be the same.

On lough ree today.
    Few flies about nothing happening yet though
    One trout did take just beside the boat when I was tying up a team of flies. Frightened the bejaysus outa me.

Hahhaha! :D

• Advertisement

On lough ree today.
    Few flies about nothing happening yet though
    One trout did take just beside the boat when I was tying up a team of flies. Frightened the bejaysus outa me.
    :D:D:D will be up on sunday next and off all next week so hopefully the dapp will be well on by then, fished very poor on sunday last i heard,

bayliner wrote: »
    :D:D:D will be up on sunday next and off all next week so hopefully the dapp will be well on by then, fished very poor on sunday last i heard,

Probably won't be out again till Sunday myself man
    I tried to troll lures today but it was blowing a hurricane.
    There was lads trolling yesterday in the competitions I believe .

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Hi folks. Fishing lower corrib Saturday afternoon. Will be back with maufly updates. .

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭whelzer

Mayfly were being hammered yesterday on two rivers in Ulster - I'm sworn to secrecy so can't name them. Fished from 11:30 until 7pm and they were trickling off all afternoon - the best of it was when 3 seperate fish attacked a single mayfly and it still managed to get away!

Caught lots on a big Ducks Dun type fly (10 longshank) with a nymph/spider type fly also 10 longshank trailing 2 feet behing NZ style. I couldnt decide if fish were taking adults or emergers - tbh I don't think it mattered, if it moved they hit it! Probably 50/50 takes re adult/nymph.

Also quite interestingly - last night was the first time I've seen fish taking Yellow Mays with any serious "concentration". You'd always see the odd being taken but last night was different they gave them a fair battering. I'm putting it down to the Mayly and Yellow May hatches overlapping...who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

viper123 wrote: »
    Good few shucks on the corrib today, must have been a decent hatch of them in the morning, a few around in the afternoon but fish not showing much interest.

Monday was even worse, horrible windy day on the lake and very few mayflys about. Got a half dozen or so on buzzers and one trolling a small rapala.

Probably won't be out again till Sunday myself man
    I tried to troll lures today but it was blowing a hurricane.
    There was lads trolling yesterday in the competitions I believe .

yeah the fly/dapp comps arent on yet, but will be next sunday

so when do u think It will hatch? and how long will it stay on for?

Eriesniper wrote: »
    so when do u think It will hatch? and how long will it stay on for?

They're hatching now

Sh*T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Anybody seen any on ramor??

Advertisement