Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

in the headline for today's podcast, it says fairytale of dundalk. is this the first time, bar a couple of seconds talking to roddy collins about athlone town last year, that they will mention the league of ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Atrocious sound quality on Gerry Thornley's phone line - very hard to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Re: ways of listening to the show, I've completely given up on apple's laughable attempt of a podcast "app" called Podcasts. Stitcher app has poor sound quality, listening to the show via the stitcher app sounds more like an internet web stream rather than DAB radio-like sound quality. Instacast's Ui is so unuser-friendly which means I'm stuck with the Downcast app, not a huge range of free podcast apps to choose from if you're an iOS user tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Surprised the Monday episode didn't mention Sid Lowe's revelation on Football weekly about Ken's premature ejaculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Surprised the Monday episode didn't mention Sid Lowe's revelation on Football weekly about Ken's premature ejaculation.

They don't call him Ken Early for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Almost in tears listening to Ken dissect that Keane interview in his report on sport :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The interview with the Kenyan marathon winner was excellent. I love when they do interviews like this, it makes a nice change from the normal GAA/rugby/soccer coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Yeah got a few looks on the bus laughing at the keane interview bit, i sing for no one! Also love the John Delaney jingle!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

Don Givens???? must have been a slow day guest wise!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It sort of annoys me that the podcast titles no longer have "Second Captains: " or "Second Captains Football: " in them.

I know it's generally pretty obvious which is which, and I pretty much listen to them in order of release regardless, but still... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nicedryturf

Ken's description of the initial, misleading reports on last night's Roy Keane incident is hilarious:

"a 19th century faction fight... a man as big as a bear... chews up and spits out the autobiography at Keane's feet... Keane whips out his shillelagh from under his rags... suddenly everyone jumps in... bottles smashed over peoples heads... people whirling socks with stones in them... and there's a fiddle player who never stopped playing during the whole thing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ken's description of the initial, misleading reports on last night's Roy Keane incident is hilarious:

"a 19th century faction fight... a man as big as a bear... chews up and spits out the autobiography at Keane's feet... Keane whips out his shillelagh from under his rags... suddenly everyone jumps in... bottles smashed over peoples heads... people whirling socks with stones in them... and there's a fiddle player who never stopped playing during the whole thing!"

Came on to post about this, sheer genius!:D

Ken is a legend. I recall quite a few people complaining when him and Murph would go off on those mad tangents when they were on Newstalk and the same peoople were part of the "good rriddence" brigade when the old team left NT. Well now those people have the wit and wisdom of Colm Parkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Wasn't there also a man drinking straight from the beer tap?

Wasn't there also a man drinking straight from the beer tap?

Ha yeah I forgot that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

jaysus what would they do without Roy Keane?...he farts and do a segment on it. give it a rest lads, change the record. The media obsession includes yourselfs...f**king talking about his beard, this is Joe Duffy/Ray Darcy stuff.

Devoting 15 minutes of the main show to Roy Keane and soccer was a bit overkill. That entire thing could have been folded into the Report on Sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Came on to post about this, sheer genius!:D

Was never a fan of his pseudo intellectual musings. Pure rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Was never a fan of his pseudo intellectual musings. Pure rubbish

It wasn't pseudo or intellectual. It was just very funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ozexpat

jaysus what the hell is with the podcasts this week, bairly a mention of the actual ireland soccer match, constant diatribes on why the media wins the roy keane v media ongoing nonentity they are obsessed with.

rreeaaaalllllyyy time to stop talking about keane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭boccy23

Is it not just because the match was s***. There was very little other sport on. Ireland v's Georgia was the best!!

It's the usual story of having to fill time when they would be better off just having gone with 1 podcast this week.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    It wasn't pseudo or intellectual. It was just very funny.

Agreed. This is why I'm kind of glad the lads are doing the Podcast now - Ken can go off the deep end without people complaining how they are ruining radio... That said, I would love to see them back doing live radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Ken's also quite knowledgeable about events, even if it's hidden behind his unconventional approach to broadcasting.I doubt any of the sports radio presenter in Ireland knows as much about the FIFA corruption report he was talking about on today's podcast as Ken does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ken's picnic trip to Ibrox was very funny. Usually the podcast can be taken of left for me but I try to never miss Ken's pseudo/intellectual/gimmicked/however-you-want-to-criticise-it section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Ken's picnic trip to Ibrox was very funny. Usually the podcast can be taken of left for me but I try to never miss Ken's pseudo/intellectual/gimmicked/however-you-want-to-criticise-it section.

Ken is brilliant. Eoin is a good interviewer but he's quite an annoying analyst. Murph is the 'expert' on everything non-soccer related. He's far too rehearsed IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Ken is the poster boy for people who really don't like football all that much, but they like his delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Football podcasts are all the same IMO. You have serious Football Weekly types who are unlistenable (Sean Ingle, OptaJoe guy with the lisp etc) with a lethal dose of Barry Glendenning to hurt your soul. Ken is a great change of pace.

Ken is the poster boy for people who really don't like football all that much, but they like his delivery

I love football and I love listening to Ken. If you don't like his style, that's fair enough. God knows, there's plenty of other football shows to choose from (although, like Diabhal Beag, I find most of them unlistenable). I think you're somewhat correct insofar as I know people who have little or no interst in football but still download the podcast for Ken and Eoin. Thats not a bad thing as the 'poster boy' description seems to imply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I love football and I love listening to Ken. If you don't like his style, that's fair enough. God knows, there's plenty of other football shows to choose from (although, like Diabhal Beag, I find most of them unlistenable). I think you're somewhat correct insofar as I know people who have little or no interst in football but still download the podcast for Ken and Eoin. Thats not a bad thing as the 'poster boy' description seems to imply.

That's the genius of the show, I rarely if ever watch football, the only games I would watch are the odd Championship league games when all the crap teams have been knocked out, but I listen to the podcast every week. the boys are naturals and they make you want to listen, the show is entertaining and funny and cuts through the sky sports BS hype we hae listened too since the early 90's.

I would probably listen to them talking about anything, I reckon they could have a very successful prime time radio slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭bren2001

Slobbery wrote: »
    That's the genius of the show, I rarely if ever watch football, the only games I would watch are the odd Championship league games when all the crap teams have been knocked out, but I listen to the podcast every week. the boys are naturals and they make you want to listen, the show is entertaining and funny and cuts through the sky sports BS hype we hae listened too since the early 90's.

I would probably listen to them talking about anything, I reckon they could have a very successful prime time radio slot

They did. It was called Off the Ball. They fell out with management and made a few demands and left. Show still runs with new presenters, its still very good imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement