Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,468 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

When they said on show Thursday that there'd be a big announcement I figured it might be something to do with the world cup, but it's GAA instead... Fairy nuf, GAA is big, but alas I am not a fan.

With OTB getting BOD I wonder are they feeling the heat? Or do they consider themselves in any competition now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Are they doing any world cup specials? Surely Ken is going to do more than the usual two shows, considering he's going all the way over for it?

(I understand The Guardian Football Weekly with James Richardson will be daily during the tournament. I've only started listening recently, I heartily recommend it to anyone who doesn't listen.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Are they doing any world cup specials? Surely Ken is going to do more than the usual two shows, considering he's going all the way over for it?

They haven't said anything about doing anything different for the world cup. I suspect Ken will be doing more writing than just his usual monday column though. His piece on England's lost decade during the week was brilliant.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/england-s-lost-decade-1.1813927?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The King Harold reference still cracks me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

am i the only one who can see this being the end of the second captains as a 5 man team. eoin and murph are taking over the 'take your point' slot which is kinda like 606 on 5live. RTE have no use for the other 3 at this point on the radio.

am i the only one who can see this being the end of the second captains as a 5 man team. eoin and murph are taking over the 'take your point' slot which is kinda like 606 on 5live. RTE have no use for the other 3 at this point on the radio.

Mark Horgan will be part of the radio show as well and the TV is going to be on 3 nights a week in the autumn. So...I think any talk of their demise is a bit premature. Who knows, RTE might have other plans for them on radio once the gaa season is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Mark Horgan will be part of the radio show as well and the TV is going to be on 3 nights a week in the autumn. So...I think any talk of their demise is a bit premature. Who knows, RTE might have other plans for them on radio once the gaa season is over.

ah.. completely missed the news of the tv show being on times a week.

Nothing's confirmed yet...

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/showbiz/5576870/Captains-5-are-Second-time-lucky-RTE-deal-is-extended.html

but it was the same journalist who broke the original story about them being in talks with RTE over a TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That was only mentioned in one report, in The Irish Sun a few months ago.

I would be sceptical about it until it is confirmed. It's hard to see how they would have enough material for three programmes a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

There is no need for Ken, who is a complete one trick pony soccer and soccer only. His ignorance of any other sports is incredible and when I hear him talking about other sports I fast forward.

Not to be totally negative Horgan is an excellent presenter in his own right

drogdub wrote: »
    There is no need for Ken, who is a complete one trick pony soccer and soccer only. His ignorance of any other sports is incredible and when I hear him talking about other sports I fast forward.

Quite a few more people listen to the football podcast than listen to the general sports one. Ken is their biggest draw. I bit surprised that RTE haven't figure this out yet, then again RTE does tend to move in mysterious ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

drogdub wrote: »

Not to be totally negative Horgan is an excellent presenter in his own right

Ken's the most entertaining part of SC for me.He's a soccer journalist so why would to know much or talk about other sports in depth?

Murph is the most dispensable imo.He's essentially a culchie version of Eoin (not nearly as good as him) with a crap 'trying too hard to be funny' sense of humor and a penchant for interrupting people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Calling Ken a "one trick pony" just because he only really knows about soccer is a bit harsh IMO. He's excellent at talking about soccer, that's all that matters. I'll often skim through the first show picking out segments to listen to, but I'll almost always listen to the entire Football Show. Granted that's also because soccer is the sport I'm most interested in, but Ken's a big draw too.

It will be interesting to see though, as time goes by, will they continue to do four shows a week when this new radio show starts and if a new series of the TV show begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Football podcast up early this morning as Ken is heading to the airport.

They announced they'll be doing two extra World Cup shows every week on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as well as the normal football shows on Monday and Thursday.

4 hours a week of WC coverage from Ken - very, very happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Meathlass wrote: »
    Football podcast up early this morning as Ken is heading to the airport.

They announced they'll be doing two extra World Cup shows every week on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as well as the normal football shows on Monday and Thursday.

4 hours a week of WC coverage from Ken - very, very happy :D

Jaysus between that and Football Weekly podcasting daily there won't be enough hours in the day to listen to everything. A good complaint I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Richie Sadlier's story about how the Ireland Under 20 team relieved their boredom in Nigeria was entertaining.

That's the kind of revelation you wouldn't get from Richie when Bill O'Herlihy is grilling him on RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Once again Richie was the highlight of the podcast,he's got a great ability to explain what he means simply without using soundbites.I don't think I've ever not enjoyed a segment with him.I even watch the RTÉ panel if he's on,and I'm not particularly interested in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I hope and fully expect SC pod to be better than football weeklys WC daily. They have basically just recapped the results, play a few national anthems and make some predictions. Very short pods with barely any discussion or analysis. Very disappointed in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Not sure if I heard him being interviewed on Second Captains, OTB or Football Weekly but Fernando Duarte's book "Shocking Brazil: Six Games That Shook the World Cup" is available for just 99p on Amazon at the minute.

Catching up on a backlog of podcasts now....still decent overall quality but starting to find the GAA coverage a bit lifeless/flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Anyone else having trouble with episodes taking longer to download on the iOS podcasts app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

eh, don't understand the Sadlier love at all.

He's grand when he can reproduce his pre-prepared answers on topics but if the conversation goes anywhere off topic he sounds lost and starts doing a Cork thing of answering a question with another question.

I can barely stand Emmet Malone's squeaky voice but when they wheel out Miguel Delaney and Dion Fanning I fast forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I think Richie Sadlier is very good,

The Gaa coverage and in particular the Hurling is very poor

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Agreed ref the hurling coverage it poor in general bar the usual easy targets ie davy fitz

So looks like the Second Captains brand is growing, they're now hiring new staff: http://secondcaptains.tumblr.com/post/89072933074/second-captains-are-hiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

If it wasn't for Benny Dunne and the other guests' brilliant tactical awareness and knowledge of the sport they often bring with them, their hurling coverage would be deteriorating in terms of the high standards they set for sports broadcasting. Of, course things would be different if Dublin won the All-Ireland hurling title last year, I know it's got nowt to do with with that but can't understand why they seem to focus so much on Gaelic football for nearly every show and yet pretend that hurling isn't even worth talking about that much

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I loved Ken's description of the opening ceremony saying it was like a drunk person who was after getting a belt on the head staggering around an amusement park.

adamski8 wrote: »
    I hope and fully expect SC pod to be better than football weeklys WC daily. They have basically just recapped the results, play a few national anthems and make some predictions. Very short pods with barely any discussion or analysis. Very disappointed in it.

Haven't heard any SC World Cup podcasts yet (still hurtling thru a backlog) but the Football Weekly ones have been disappointing so far....I think having them after the last game isn't a good idea....everyone seems half asleep...poor AC Jimbo doesn't even have time to come up with decent puns ffs!

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Haven't heard any SC World Cup podcasts yet (still hurtling thru a backlog) but the Football Weekly ones have been disappointing so far....I think having them after the last game isn't a good idea....everyone seems half asleep...poor AC Jimbo doesn't even have time to come up with decent puns ffs!

The SC ones have been decent, the only problem I'm having is the live link-up with Ken is struggling with the skype connection... But they also play pre-recorded interviews Ken has recorded which are good quality. I'm enjoying it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I loved Ken's description of the opening ceremony saying it was like a drunk person who was after getting a belt on the head staggering around an amusement park.

I was sitting at my desk in work struggling to control a fit of giggles at that description. :D

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    The SC ones have been decent, the only problem I'm having is the live link-up with Ken is struggling with the skype connection... But they also play pre-recorded interviews Ken has recorded which are good quality. I'm enjoying it.

Up to speed now with SC pretty much....top quality output from Brazil, have an image of a sunburnt and sweaty Ken in the stadiums a gigantic suitcase on his knees.

The sound quality and level of analysis is much better than Football Weekly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement