Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MK808 mini pc + Air Fly Mouse (cond from "Bargain Alerts")

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

As far as I know MK808B devices comes pre rooted. My device was rooted, all I needed to do was to enable settings in ES explored as suggested by Allyall.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

coldfire1x wrote: »
    As far as I know MK808B devices comes pre rooted. My device was rooted, all I needed to do was to enable settings in ES explored as suggested by Allyall.
    Using a NeoG4, and it doesn't come rooted. Am trying to root it now, but with no success :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

the_syco wrote: »
    Using a NeoG4, and it doesn't come rooted. Am trying to root it now, but with no success :(

Do you have the drivers installed on your PC for it? (If not, Download Moborobo and run that with the device attached, it should automatically detect and install them.)

Once the drivers are installed you can close Moborobo.

Download UNLOCKROOT Version 3.1.3 (Direct Link) from this link. Extract and install.

This is the file that is downloaded with their downloader/wrapper/installer, but without all the cráp.

Enable USB Debugging mode on your device. You can do this by going to Settings > Developer Options

IMPORTANT
    You only get ONE go with the free version, per install, so don't close it once it is running, or you'll be asked to register (pay) when you re-open it. If you accidentally do close it, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall it.
    (not really that much hassle, but...)

Once it is installed, and you are ready.. Connect the device, and run UnlockRoot Pro.
    Remember when rooting the stick, On some devices you need to have one end connected to the PC (Laptop), and the other end connected to the TV so that you can see any messages when they appear.

Don't touch anything, i.e. - Keep the tab "UnlockRoot Pro" open, NOT "UnlockRoot Phone"

Click "ROOT"
    Then you may want to use RootChecker to check everything is okay/rooted.

Install SuperSU (It may be already installed)
    Install BusyBox If you want. But it is a handy tool to have.

/edit
    Would "xbmc-12.1-Frodo-armeabi-v7a-RedPenguin-Rel2.apk" be the installer of the new version of librtmp.so ? Got it at http://www.mediafire.com/?x4cvp5hl4m9xr

I just saw that now, when i was reading over. (I also saw my post, i was typing at a million words per minute, because i was freaked after installing the generic rom, thought i had wrecked the stick. :))

Yep, i think that's it, anyone can compile a librtmp. But no need to at the moment, RedPenguin is doing a good job of updating it quite often, he has a thread on XBMC.org, that is always up to date. Newer than the one in the wiki.

Also, if your using IrishTV, it's always best to download it direct from googlecode. I didn't post the link, as i'm not sure what the story with posting it is, It's available on AerTV, RTE.ie TV3.ie etc. But it's a weird grey area for me..
    Anyway, it's easy to find the plugin video irishtv ...:pac: up to date.

Allyall wrote: »
    Do you have the drivers installed on your PC for it? (If not, Download Moborobo and run that with the device attached, it should automatically detect and install them.)

Once the drivers are installed you can close Moborobo.
    The odd thing is, Moborobo says the status of my phone as "rooted". I may well be, as I am able to install stuff via SDCARD, as opposed to the Google play. I've installed "Root Explorer", and can access the "Data" folder, but it's empty, and doesn't seem to show anything (which is why I don't think the device is really rooted).
    Click "ROOT"
    I'll check this later. Thanks Allyall

• Advertisement

Once it is installed, and you are ready.. Connect the device, and run UnlockRoot Pro.
    Remember when rooting the stick, On some devices you need to have one end connected to the PC (Laptop), and the other end connected to the TV so that you can see any messages when they appear.

Don't touch anything, i.e. - Keep the tab "UnlockRoot Pro" open, NOT "UnlockRoot Phone"

Click "ROOT"
    Ran root checker before, it said not rooted, when I ran UNLOCKROOT it said it was rooted, and did I want to re-root it. I clicked yes, and now root checker say it's rooted. Odd, to say the least!
    Anyway, it's easy to find the plugin video irishtv ...:pac: up to date.
    Found it on HEANET's FTP, so I'd say it's the legal side of the grey area. Also, as it's only really designed to work within Ireland, I'd say the plugin is legal.
    IrishHomer wrote: »
    Good news!!!!!!!!!!!

RTE just emailed my query about an android app that i sent them 5 weeks ago and they said Android app is due out in May :)
    From another thread, and if they do release one this month it'll be very good. I only want the RTE Player so my mom has a nice easy way to watch RTE player on "the big TV".

=-=

XBMC XAF Build; http://www.xbmcandroid.com
    New XBMC XAF build and new XBMC builds now out (only a few days old).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

You do get used to the remote. It's growing on me a lot.
    If the cursor seems out of wack, you can point it to the edge or corner of the screen easy enough and line it up. Turn off the mouse and flip it sideways, and use the arrows and return key.
    I'm getting fairly nifty at the thumb typing too.. :)

I have mine powered from Sky Box. If you power it from TV, then it's perfect, because it should power off and on with the TV. The only reason i don't do that, is because there is no USB port on my TV :(.

I was using XAF build, and i found it a bit buggy, (Early-ish on, so it might be much better now) sometimes it would black screen, other times the Video Quality was very poor, so i changed over to the March 5th Full Neon version. I have modified it a lot for mine, but as a result, i have also created some issues. I much prefer using the external players with it.
    On my sisters one, i changed it so that it Launches directly into XBMC, and from there she can run and download Android Apps from "Programs".
    So she can still check her email and download apps, but she doesn't actually see Android.

I didn't realise there was a new XAF version out. I'll definitely be downloading it.. :D Might eliminate a load of my bugs..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Some TVs will not output enough power on the tv to power a usb hub aswell as the stick. The stick should be ok if it's just that. Same as raspberry pis connected to the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Mines at home waiting for me!Anyone got any tips/tricks/advice for first time users?I'm reading here that firmware needs upgrading,how do I do that?

• Advertisement

toby2111 wrote: »
    Mines at home waiting for me!Anyone got any tips/tricks/advice for first time users?I'm reading here that firmware needs upgrading,how do I do that?

If its MK808B you will not need any firmware upgrade. It comes with the latest version. Unless you want to install custom rom.

Just remember to set the date setting to auto (I think its the first check box).

Yeh,its the MK808B with R11 mouse.I'll install XBMC on it then Navi-X,1channel,icefilms etc.Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I have made the same mistake. USB port on my tv wasn't giving enough power and I was thinking I got a faulty one. :pac:

Yeh,its the MK808B with R11 mouse.I'll install XBMC on it then Navi-X,1channel,icefilms etc.Any other recommendations?

It comes with flash pre-installed but you will need a compatible browser for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

As XBMC addons go check out Sports Devil.

XBMC XAF have those on it already...

XBMC XAF have those on it already...
    Do you have a link to download that?
    What's the best browser to use on these?

Do you have a link to download that?
    What's the best browser to use on these?
    I got it on http://www.xbmcandroid.com - follow the steps. Not sure what you mean by "browser to use on these"? If you mean the sticks, I use the default one (as it's handy) and Google Chrome (as somethings cause the default one to crash).

I think maybe XBMC has been watched by authorities for years, but the rate it gained new users in the last year, has made it a bullseye for many anti-counterfeit agencies.

Some files are stored across mutliple cloud/file hosting sites.
    (If you check the back of many repositories you'll see one Movie may be on 40 links, and another 100 backups.)

Anyway. Not looking good. With the Android devices being one of the biggest sellers from China, and XBMC being one of the biggest reasons..

There is a massive crackdown going on at the moment in China and across Europe.

From last week (One site had 140 million users)
    http://www.techinasia.com/china-movie-piracy-websites-shut-arrests/

http://www.chinaabout.net/largest-online-piracy-hd-portal-shut/

And rumours abound that they are 'chasing' three major ones (one is very prominent on XBMC, with a Swiss domain name. ;))

Last week it (The domain) disappeared for a day..
    It's currently having issues ongoing. Not looking good.

Admin are telling people NOT to use it.
    “Do NOT use ******* domain, it has been compromised,” warn the operators of *******.
    So, in summary – ******** should be considered a fake/clone until further notice – logging in there should be avoided....

....The ******* domain is now working again and appears to display the correct ******** site. However, on closer inspection it appears that ******* now redirects to a clone of ********, not the real site.

The Pirate Bay was removed from Google's front page in March, and last week they switched from Sweden to Iceland/Greenland because of the same rumours. They were right. Heavy action being taken by European authorities. They seem to be going all out.
    Greenland Domain is about to be seized.

More news..
    In what is being described as the biggest domain crackdown since US Homeland Security seized more than 70 domains in 2010, Italy has targeted more than two dozen BitTorrent, cyberlocker and other file-sharing sites. The Public Prosecutor of Rome has ordered the blocking of Rapidgator, Uploaded, BitShare, NowVideo, VideoPremium and many others, warning that he will progress the action internationally in order to properly seize their domains.

There is much much more going on, but way too much to put here. You get the jist.

BTGuard needed more then ever.

• Advertisement

Picture quality on mine isn't the best. I know it won't be digital quality but it's quite pixelated. Any way of improving it?

Picture quality on mine isn't the best. I know it won't be digital quality but it's quite pixelated. Any way of improving it?

What are you watching from?
    Also, have you downloaded MX Player?

You may find, if you are using the XAF version, that you might also want BS Player and possibly Wondershare. As without them, some streams are very dark.
    If you do get the other two players, I'm not sure if they are icluded in the Playercorefactory.xml in the latest version, If not, you can add them yourself easily enough.

What are you watching from?
    Also, have you downloaded MX Player?

Yeh, using XAF version and downloaded MX player. Not sure what you mean by "watching from"??

Sorry, I meant are you streaming it from the web or locally (A hard drive etc.) and if you were using XBMC.

Are all movies pixelated/poor quality?

Try changing the settings in MX Player, Open MX Player and go to Settings > Decoder and make sure all boxes under H/W+ decoder are unticked and the same with Software Decoder (S/W decoder). Then exit out of MX Player.

I'll try that tomorrow thanks.
    I was watching football on navi X earlier and picture quality wasn't great. The TV is in the kitchen while router is in sitting room so that may be why picture isn't great. I might get those powerline adapters but there's no ethernet connection on the stick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

The TV is in the kitchen while router is in sitting room so that may be why picture isn't great. I might get those powerline adapters but there's no ethernet connection on the stick.

Check your wifi signal with 'Wifi Analyzer', if you're getting around -70 or better then your signal is ok. You can get a wireless powerline adapter from TP-Link which also has a wired option, or you can get a USB to Lan adapter for a few Euro on ebay and just buy the wired adapters. The wireless one is handy though, you can always wire your MK into it and still use it as a wifi hotspot for other devices at the same time.

I've mentioned it before but it works out at the same price (£65 on Amazon) if you buy the wireless adapter on it's own and a twin pack of av200's wired as it would if you bought the starter kit of one wired and one wireless. That way you get an extra adapter for the same price.

Thanks blade,I'll try all those things after work.

Allyall-I had to untick one of the boxes in Settings of MX player,seems to have improved picture quality.I havent downloaded the other 2 players you recommended but may do as picture was slightly dark at times.

Blade-Ran wifi analyzer,getting between -70 and -80.My Galaxy s3 was getting -60 to -70 which is strange,maybe its more powerful.So,my signal is weak enough it seems.Might get those powerline adapters if it will improve speeds.

One thing I noticed was,in Icefilms it seemed to play stream through MX player but in Navi X,it seemed to be the normal,stock player.That doesn't seem right?

Yeah, that's right (normal).
    I prefer the normal version of XBMC over XAF. Only because the XAF build has issues with live streaming and quality. (Nothing that can't be fixed easily enough).

There are a couple of ways to enhance the WiFi on the Android Sticks, Particularly on the MK808B.
    Good trick here:

Many more if you google them.

• Advertisement

How can I fix the issues with live streaming in the XAF build?

Advertisement