Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MK808 mini pc + Air Fly Mouse (cond from "Bargain Alerts")

Options
  • 01-05-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

The original thread in Bargain Alerts http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056906441 got closed, so I thought I'd continue it here :P

So, there was a few people deciding which USB to LAN device to get, and I just thought I'd say I got this device on adverts, and it worked grand. Using it via a powered USB hub (which also has the AirMouse wireless thing in it as well). So I'd say go for the cheapest option, and cross your fingers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Nice one, I was just about to do the same myself seeing the discussion was in full swing. I've posted to the old thread on Bargains directing people here.

Some of those really cheap USB to Lan devices on ebay have a few spare USB ports on them too, well handy. My wireless home plug is only about 3 inches away from the MK though, so I'm not sure I'd get any better connection wiring it in. I'm only on 4mbits connect now, maybe when we get fibre it'll make a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Blade wrote: »
    My wireless home plug is only about 3 inches away from the MK though, so I'm not sure I'd get any better connection wiring it in. I'm only on 4mbits connect now, maybe when we get fibre it'll make a difference!
    LIkewise. Had a Cisco AP right next to my NeoG4, but got the USB-LAN to ensure that nothing interfered (and because I could :P). Have another Wireless HomePlug nearby for other devices, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Good to see the new thread :)

Just a heads up, a friend has ordered the new quad core version MK908. It's on the way. When it arrives I will get my hands on it and post how it compares to MK808B.

At the moment I am quite happy with 808B, working out very well for me. Yet to try the USB to LAN. Although I dont have any issue with the wifi on the device as the router is very closed to it.

@the_syco - where did you get the powered USB hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Hi all, I've asked before but none the wiser, do I have to install the firmware patch to run Netflix? I tried to install Think it was a patched Netflix but would not install prob done it wrong, When I tried to put the unit into flash mode it kept showing error could not find Ron , any help as I,be just about giving up, thanks.'

coldfire1x wrote: »
    @the_syco - where did you get the powered USB hub?
    Meh shed :P It's one of these, and probably won't be all that costly today. The "Trust" brand are your generic computer plug-n-play things, so just look for one that works on XP without drivers, and you should be sucking diesel :)
    meathman0 wrote: »
    I tried to install Think it was a patched Netflix but would not install prob done it wrong
    What version of Android are you using?

• Advertisement

What version of Android are you using?[/quote]

Hi it's 4.2.2, pity it wasn't the 4.1

Hi it's 4.2.2, pity it wasn't the 4.1
    How long ago did you install it?

the_syco wrote: »
    How long ago did you install it?

Got it about 2 weeks ago from Geek Buying and it had the 4,2,2 on it, my brother got one from Amazon and it had the 4.1.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Got it about 2 weeks ago from Geek Buying and it had the 4,2,2 on it, my brother got one from Amazon and it had the 4.1.

I don't use Netflix so I can't confirm if it works, but according to the guys at Geekbuying for version 4.2.2 you should install this version of Netflix:
    http://www.freak-tab.de/finless/netflix_2_0_2.zip

Let us know how you get on!

I don't use Netflix so I can't confirm if it works, but according to the guys at Geekbuying for version 4.2.2 you should install this version of Netflix:
    http://www.freak-tab.de/finless/netflix_2_0_2.zip

Let us know how you get on!

Hi Blade, I tried to install this Netflix last week but keeps saying App not installed ,do you know if the patch on Geekbuying for hd has to be installed first?Thanks.,

• Advertisement

Hi Blade, I tried to install this Netflix last week but keeps saying App not installed ,do you know if the patch on Geekbuying for hd has to be installed first?Thanks.,

Sorry I don't know. I assume that the updates and patches were only for people who wanted to update from 4.1, but that the devices sent out later were already updated with fully working 4.2.2. Sorry I can't help with the Netflix as I don't use it. Someone else must know...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi there,sorry to ji-hack,
    do any of you use a wireless keyboard with a trackpad to control the 808 as I find the airmouse fine for most things but can be a little finicky trying to use spotify and such.
    Im thinking a full-size wireless keyboard would be the job..

Sorry I don't know. I assume that the updates and patches were only for people who wanted to update from 4.1, but that the devices sent out later were already updated with fully working 4.2.2. Sorry I can't help with the Netflix as I don't use it. Someone else must know...

No problem, as far as I know the 4.2.2 is a Beta version and the patch is for using the stick with HD, could be wrong, thanks anyway.

igorbiscan wrote: »
    do any of you use a wireless keyboard with a trackpad to control the 808 as I find the airmouse fine for most things but can be a little finicky trying to use spotify and such.
    Not a hi-jack at all; this is a multi-issue thread for these little devices. Some of the wireless keyboards that people got in one of the other threads had a trackpad on it, so you should be fine.

=-=

Has anyone had any issues with the RTE Player within XBMC?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not a hi-jack at all; this is a multi-issue thread for these little devices. Some of the wireless keyboards that people got in one of the other threads had a trackpad on it, so you should be fine.

=-=

Has anyone had any issues with the RTE Player within XBMC?

Buggy.
    Multilple issues.
    Try updating your librtmp file.
    Uninstall it and reinstall it (RTE player).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Allyall wrote: »
    Buggy.
    Multilple issues.
    Try updating your librtmp file.
    Uninstall it and reinstall it (RTE player).

How do you update your librtmp ?
    Trying to run Mossys 4od plugin and I think this is where it falls down.

Ste- wrote: »
    How do you update your librtmp ?
    Trying to run Mossys 4od plugin and I think this is where it falls down.
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Update_librtmp

This is what i use. I have had a couple of remotes, and i just reverting to this for comfortability etc..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard/dp/B005LDLQXG/

I eventually got around to taking mine out of the box, and messing around some more. Antutu 5000. But with all the bugs on the current versions of Antutu i'm taking that with a pinch of salt.

I'm putting the Finless Bob on it now.
    Sleep is back like a tablet!!!! Go into settings>display and you can turn on sleep!
    Now understand how this works
    a) If there is no wifi or ethernet connection the MK808B when it goes to sleep will power off.
    b) If there is a connection, it will simple go into low power mode and turn the display off. Moving the mouse turns it back on again

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Nice one, I was just about to do the same myself seeing the discussion was in full swing. I've posted to the old thread on Bargains directing people here.

Some of those really cheap USB to Lan devices on ebay have a few spare USB ports on them too, well handy. My wireless home plug is only about 3 inches away from the MK though, so I'm not sure I'd get any better connection wiring it in. I'm only on 4mbits connect now, maybe when we get fibre it'll make a difference!

Just out of curiousity and slightly off topic, which wireless home plug did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiousity and slightly off topic, which wireless home plug did you go with?

TP Link TL-WPA281 AV200 Powerline Extender with Wireless N Access Point

And as you need one at the router side, I bought these 2x AV500's.
    TP-Link PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

I wanted the 3 plugs and I figured I'd go with the AV500's as they should be better for when we get fibre, but you can buy the kit of 2x AV200's (wireless and wired) cheaper.

I eventually got around to taking mine out of the box, and messing around some more. Antutu 5000. But with all the bugs on the current versions of Antutu i'm taking that with a pinch of salt.

I'm putting the Finless Bob on it now.

Run that Antutu again and you'll probably get more. I've noticed on mine a few times I got as low as 5000 but then ran it again and got as high as 8400.

Is that sleep mode you mention only available on the Finless Bob ROM? I don't see it on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

This is what i use. I have had a couple of remotes, and i just reverting to this for comfortability etc..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-K400-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard/dp/B005LDLQXG/

Cheers for that, how do you find it for size wise and ease of use.I currently have the air-mouse and find it finicky after a few jars trying to get a few tunes going on spotify :p

Would much prefer something as close to a full-size laptop keyboard with a track-pad as possible than my current control.

Run that Antutu again and you'll probably get more. I've noticed on mine a few times I got as low as 5000 but then ran it again and got as high as 8400.

Is that sleep mode you mention only available on the Finless Bob ROM? I don't see it on mine.

Yeah, Antutu current version has a load of bugs in it, apparently.

Yep. It was available on the MK808 on one of the official firmwares, but it was gone in the next.
    It's on the Kimdecent T21 and i think all the Measy's.

Here is Finless Rom if you want to try it. (Our model is the Genuine MK808B Original Model) - If it's taking ages to download, cancel and download again.
    Instructions are inside it. Full LINK

I'm after been messing about with it and trying a generic rk30sdk firmware for Rockchip devices, and now i can't boot it up.. :( That'll teach me. I'm just after spending the last 30 minutes trying to fix it. I give up.
    I'm just going to put it back to the Finless, as i found that very good.
    But i hated the boot animation.

I might try the ICS MOD BY LEWY2004. Has anybody here tried it?
    It has a native 720p version as well as a 1080p, and is supposed to be the best ROM for Flash.
    Apparently flash on it works perfectly in all browsers, even Opera.

Cheers for that, how do you find it for size wise and ease of use.I currently have the air-mouse and find it finicky after a few jars trying to get a few tunes going on spotify :p

Would much prefer something as close to a full-size laptop keyboard with a track-pad as possible than my current control.

I much prefer it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

This post has been deleted.

Same here - unreal warp speed delivery especially compared to Dealextreme ... still waiting for a Paddy's Day order - it's taken 40 days to travel 140KM in China - half the speed of a giant tortoise, three times faster than a garden snail though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

WHat do ye think of the MK809II ?
    Thanks

Dazza wrote: »
    WHat do ye think of the MK809II ?
    Thanks

It's the same stick as the MK808B, Different casing.

Sometimes the MK809II is sold as MK808B.

But that link is nearly double the price and i don't like those remotes at all. The touchpad is tiny. (Each to their own.)

You would get a much better quad core and better remote for that price.

N00b question; do I need to root my device to copy the updated librtmp.so to /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/lib/ as I can't seem to see the "data" folder using the default explorer.

/edit
    Would "xbmc-12.1-Frodo-armeabi-v7a-RedPenguin-Rel2.apk" be the installer of the new version of librtmp.so ? Got it at http://www.mediafire.com/?x4cvp5hl4m9xr

• Advertisement

N00b question; do I need to root my device to copy the updated librtmp.so to /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/lib/ as I can't seem to see the "data" folder using the default explorer.

I don't think so.

To see the "Data" folder, go to settings in the default explorer (ES File Explorer), and show hidden files, make your Home Directory "/" (Without the quotes), and enable "Up to Root"

I honestly can't remember if i ever had to do it without it being rooted.

If you can't get it there with that, try Droid Explorer with it connected to the PC.

If they don't work then maybe try Root Explorer (needs to be rooted.)

The last time i did it was not that long ago, but i did have it rooted. It was a different stick, but shouldn't make a difference.

Advertisement