Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MK808 mini pc + Air Fly Mouse (cond from "Bargain Alerts")

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

iba wrote: »
    Guys,

Is the second of the two Prometheus (in the link below) the one where the heatsink has been added - the one for $59.99?

http://www.geekbuying.com/Search/?keyword=prometheus

The 8gb one with Android 4.2 is the one they told me had the heatsinks, yeah. I don't think anyone here got one of them though.

Seems the update process is confusing a few people. Any advice about the update process would be appreciated I'm sure!

For those wondering about delivery times, mine arrived at customs today after it was shipped on 26th Oct. So around 12 days delivery to Ireland once dispatched. It was ordered on the 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Sappy404 wrote: »
    For those wondering about delivery times, mine arrived at customs today after it was shipped on 26th Oct. So around 12 days delivery to Ireland once dispatched. It was ordered on the 23rd.

Can I ask how you tracked your order? Is it on the Singapore post website?

jgbyr wrote: »
    Can I ask how you tracked your order? Is it on the Singapore post website?

They sent me a link to the website 17track.net, and a tracking reference. It showed when it left Singapore (3/11 - which was some time after geekbuying had dispatched it) and today it showed as 'delivered to customs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

The 8gb one with Android 4.2 is the one they told me had the heatsinks, yeah. I don't think anyone here got one of them though.

Seems the update process is confusing a few people. Any advice about the update process would be appreciated I'm sure!

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

But your saying that most people are buying the one without the heatsink and heats up lot. Why I wonder?

They sent me a link to the website 17track.net, and a tracking reference. It showed when it left Singapore (3/11 - which was some time after geekbuying had dispatched it) and today it showed as 'delivered to customs'.

Thanks. I have a reference number on the Geekbuying site which shows it as shipped by Singapore post. Will enter the number on that tracking site & see what happens.

• Advertisement

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

But your saying that most people are buying the one without the heatsink and heats up lot. Why I wonder?

The heatsink issue was supposedly rectified by the manufacturer some time ago. At the time we bought ours it was unclear if they had fixed any of the ones on geekbuying. I only heard from them about the other model they were selling after I had ordered mine. The difference in price at the time was bigger a few weeks ago too, and software updates can be done afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The New Rom isn't taking kindly to any XBMC builds I've thrown at it, yet.
    One is so slow it was painful.
    Two have dark/Audio Sync issues/wouldn't allow some addons to install.
    One doesn't calibrate the screen correctly, have to click about an inch above each button to click the button. Even when i changed screen size/ratio in both Android and in XBMC.
    One just crashes after it starts.

I'm going to try a couple more builds over the day. Never have i seen so many that wouldn't work at all..

A few people asking about drivers for MK808b or PC not detecting it at all.

You will be better off having these three downloads before you begin.
    Self extracting/installing drivers - here.
    Rockchip Batch Tool Folder.
    Finless Rom 2.1 including Finless Rom Flash Tool (which is the tool you need)

This should work with all MK808b and Windows. If not, then read the alternative methods in the Finless Readme.

First go into Flash Mode, Then install Drivers.
    From the Finless Readme.:
    To put the mk808 into flash mode the easy way:
    1) Remove any SDcard you may have installed.
    2) Connect the supplied USB cable from the port marked "OTG" on the device, to your PC.
    It will power up and windows may detect the device.
    3) In the ROM kit run the ROM Flash Tool.exe.
    4) You should see at the bottom it says "Found RKAndroid Mass Storage USB"
    If it does not say that, go into settings and make sure that
    a) USB says "Connected to PC".
    b) USB storage is turned ON
    c) Under developer options, USB debugging is turned off
    5) Once it says "Found RKAndroid Mass Storage Usb" in the flash tool click the "Reboot to Flash Mode" button.
    6) Wait up to at least 10 seconds. The unit should reboot and it will look like nothing has happened on the TV (Check the light on the MK808b).
    7) If the unit does not reboot to a blank screen, repeats steps above

Congrats! You are now in flash mode! To get out of it at any time just unplug the USB power to the mk808.
    It will boot back up normally out of flash mode.

Driver install:
    1) Now that we are in ROM flash mode as above, Windows should now have a new device found and it will be unknown.
    2) Open the device manager in control panel. You should see a device listed as unknown with a yellow symbol in it.
    3) RIGHT click on it and select "Update Driver".
    4) You will get a dialog asking to search or browse my computer for the driver. Click Browse
    5) On the next screen click the browse button. A file manager will open.
    6) Point the file manager to where the drivers are. Either in the RockChip Batch Tool Folder, or in the Finless Rom Folder
    7) Then click on the folder for 32bit or 64bit depending on your OS.
    8) Now click on your OS version, e.g. Win7, etc.
    9) The OK button should now be available to click OK.
    10) At this point the drivers should install. If not start over.
    11) Unplug the MK808b and Reboot your Computer.
    12) Once the PC is back up plug in the mk808 and repeat the steps for getting into flash mode.
    14) Now this is important! If you did everything right when you go into flash mode (black screen TV),
    the PC Flash tool should now say at the bottom "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb"
    If it does not, you did not get the drivers installed! repeat above yet again.

You may now use RockChip Batch Tool or the Finless Rom Flash Tool to flash your MK808b.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Allyall wrote: »
    That bundle includes a gamepad and tronsmart remote. I'd go with one or the other.
    I wouldn't bother with the hub, can pick them up much cheaper, and you could probably get a cheaper webcam if you wanted one.

Thanks for that.

Just another quick couple of questions. Is Geekbuying the best place to order from and would it be worthwhile choosing the express delivery?

Thanks for that.

Just another quick couple of questions. Is Geekbuying the best place to order from and would it be worthwhile choosing the express delivery?

For Tronsmart products, yes, as they are the official supplier/distributor of them, so they are cheaper than anywhere else.

Not neccesarily for anything else.

The express delivery will get it to you quicker, i think up to 8 days. Lately normal delivery has been nearly 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Sky Go is to be rolled out for Android devices from 3rd December,wonder if it'll work on any of these tv boxes? Be handy for free multiroom.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Sky Go is to be rolled out for Android devices from 3rd December,wonder if it'll work on any of these tv boxes? Be handy for free multiroom.

I've never tried it on Android, - But is this it? Or is this a trimmed version?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skygo&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Allyall wrote: »
    I've never tried it on Android, - But is this it? Or is this a trimmed version?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skygo&hl=en

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a531080/sky-go-app-for-android-tablets-releasing-december.html
    Customers with an Android tablet will require Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 or above to be able to use the on-demand TV service.

Certain devices will not have access to the app however, including Amazon Kindle tablets.

The Asus Transformer TF101 will also be exempt from the roll-out due to "unresolvable streaming issues", Sky said on its customer forums.

Sky also clarified that facilities and features on the Android tablet version of the app should be the same as for iOS.

Six Android smartphone devices were recently given Sky Go support, including the HTC One SV, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Sony Xperia M and LG G2. The app is now available for 45 Android devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Having a bit a trouble with my Prometheus, I've had too reflash it twice in 2 days now. It's getting stuck on the finless bob rom screen were it flashes purple on right hand side.

Anyone seen this problem mentioned anywhere and is it fixable ie not having to reflash all the time.

I haven't downloaded/installed any apps other then xbmc and dolphin browser, this time i'm leaving out dolphin i'll install xbmc later when the footy is over.

user2011 wrote: »
    Having a bit a trouble with my Prometheus, I've had too reflash it twice in 2 days now. It's getting stuck on the finless bob rom screen were it flashes purple on right hand side.

Anyone seen this problem mentioned anywhere and is it fixable ie not having to reflash all the time.

I haven't downloaded/installed any apps other then xbmc and dolphin browser, this time i'm leaving out dolphin i'll install xbmc later when the footy is over.

Have this unit also. Installed that rom & it worked no problem. Once, it stayed on that flashing screen when booting up & I just turned it off & it loaded then. Otherwise it's running ok.

Have this unit also. Installed that rom & it worked no problem. Once, it stayed on that flashing screen when booting up & I just turned it off & it loaded then. Otherwise it's running ok.

Yeah tried the switching off then reload no good, also tried it with pulling the power cable out as well after switching it off still got stuck.

Yeah tried the switching off then reload no good, also tried it with pulling the power cable out as well after switching it off still got stuck.

Have you tried flashing the Tronsmart firmware upgrade to see if that loads?

Have you tried flashing the Tronsmart firmware upgrade to see if that loads?

No but I will if it gets stuck again. I installed xbmc so I'll see how things go from here.

No but I will if it gets stuck again. I installed xbmc so I'll see how things go from here.

Yea set it up myself. Not used to it yet nor is it properly set up I imagine but I'm impressed so far.

Got the MK908ii with the air mouse but just wondering if it is possible to hide the mouse icon when using XBMC?

It is constantly on the screen and I haven't found a way to disable it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

Got the MK908ii with the air mouse but just wondering if it is possible to hide the mouse icon when using XBMC?

It is constantly on the screen and I haven't found a way to disable it yet.

Hi can you give me link to where you bought it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Probably www.geekbuying.com

Yep, bought from geekbuying.com

Allcast was Released earlier today.

Definitely a must-have :D
    I've cast streaming content as well as local content and I didn't have a problem. I expect to, but so far i haven't.

A few people having a few different problems with it on the reviews, to be expected on the first day. The author wrote it initially for Chromecast but Google Blocked it, and he has since decided to work on it for all Android devices. He is part of Cyanogenmod and (clockworkmod), so this will (should) get plenty of support.
    I've been playing with it on a few apps and trying a few codecs out. I haven't had any issues with codecs. A few hiccups that were probably from me switching devices and playing/stopping and changing from music to video to streaming to picture etc.. causing lagging, but nothing else.
    Great device.
    It streams from your phone to any DLNA device (Xbox/Android Stick/XEC Allshare etc..)

If streaming to another Android device, this app is one of a few you can install to receive allcast content from your phone or tablet.

AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (LITE)[FREE]
    or
    Pro Version (€3.71)

Kitkat :)

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?9390-NEW-Finless-ROM-2-0-KitKat-4-4-2-for-MK908-II-BETA

I'll wait till it gets out of beta.

Yeah on the freezing issue I had with the Prometheus, when I was given the two options after it loads I clicked always now I click just once, hasn't given me any trouble.

Yeah on the freezing issue I had with the Prometheus, when I was given the two options after it loads I clicked always now I click just once, hasn't given me any trouble.

What exactly do you mean by this? I have the Prometheus so I'm interested to find out .

What exactly do you mean by this? I have the Prometheus so I'm interested to find out .

You have two options normal Android launcher or Mediabox launcher I would click normal launcher then options for always or just once to complete that action I would click always.

I think clicking always was what was making if freeze/crash on me. I haven't had any trouble since clicking just once all the time now.

You have two options normal Android launcher or Mediabox launcher I would click normal launcher then options for always or just once to complete that action I would click always.

I think clicking always was what was making if freeze/crash on me. I haven't had any trouble since clicking just once all the time now.

So are you saying you choose the launcher every time on the home screen.

So are you saying you choose the launcher every time on the home screen.

Yeah and click on Just once I think is the most important part.

Yeah and click on Just once I think is the most important part.

Ok thanks. Do you have any problems when switching from another hdmi source. Sometimes I need to reboot as there's nothing on screen. I could be watching a movie, switch back to Sky for a second, then when I go back to the Prometheus, nothing screen.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks. Do you have any problems when switching from another hdmi source. Sometimes I need to reboot as there's nothing on screen. I could be watching a movie, switch back to Sky for a second, then when I go back to the Prometheus, nothing screen.

Thankfully the only problem I've had was that freezing/crashing and it seems to be sorted.

Have you had a look over on freaktab, see if it's mentioned there?

Advertisement