Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW 5 EURO NOTE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Was out in town last night (Dublin) and i seen a barman refusing to take a new fiver said they were told not to take them in.:eek::eek:.
    Whats the big deal about them and can they refuse to take legal tender:confused: ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I havent got the feel of a new fiver yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I was in the shop yesterday and purposly bought something and broke a tenner. In the hope of getting a new 5. I didnt get one. How long do we have to wait? And can someone post a picture of them ripping it or trying to.

That is hard luck, woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

They should bring in a 99c coin and a 4.99 or 9.99 eur note instead.
    My wallet is full of 1c coins I can't use anywhere! What a waste!!

The best idea since euro was introduced!

http://omg.wthax.org/4ArtKu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,812 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jester77 wrote: »
    rooting around for lots of change.

Don't use that phrase in Australia, ever.
    I find the opposite to be true. Not sure how having cash makes it easier to control spending. I can pull up my bank balance on my phone at any time and know how much I have.

No, it's how much the bank thinks you have right now and in ten minutes time it could be something completely different.
    Some shops somehow manage to take card payments seemingly before you go through the door, some take a week or more, some alternate between fast and slow for no apparent reason. Some take a payment twice every now and again just to check that all their customers are paying attention. The very odd time, they won't take the payment at all. I HATE using a debit card, because of this crap.

When I look in my wallet I know how much is in there, and I know that it'll only change if I change it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭SeanW

ninja900 wrote: »
    Don't use that phrase in Australia, ever.
    Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I intentionally give out new fivers in change in the shop I work. Watching customers complain about receiving legit legal tender is surprisingly funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Why would a shop not take the new legal tender 5 Euro note ? It does not compute. It's legal tender with better security so can some genius out there tell me why it would not be accepted ?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

kylith wrote: »
    i love the Aussie notes; you can't ruin them by washing them, you can't tear them, they're apparently very difficult to forge. A fine idea, say I!

But try placing an Aussie plastic dollar bill in a microwave. :)

It will be curled up and a fraction its original size after a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Now there's a new business opportunity for someone,
    Wallets with a tin lined card holder.;)

they are already on the market...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I tried to use one last night in Cork and got yelled at and accused of trying to pass off a 'badly forged' note!'

Apparently, she wasn't 'born yesterday' and several people had tried this on her!

But try placing an Aussie plastic dollar bill in a microwave. :)

It will be curled up and a fraction its original size after a few seconds.

Like what used to happen if you held a Tayto bag over the gas? No fancy schmancy microwaves in the 70s you see.

Smallest paper currency in Australia is $5, expensive for a few seconds' fun :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Solair wrote: »
    I tried to use one last night in Cork and got yelled at and accused of trying to pass off a 'badly forged' note!'

Apparently, she wasn't 'born yesterday' and several people had tried this on her!

she's from cark, so you can forgive her being naive/a little slow

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When do the old fivers stop being legal tender?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

How come there's been **** all about this, I didn't know what it was when I got one. Can't blame staff if nobody knows the notes are changing to something that looks fake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

thiarfearr wrote: »
    How come there's been **** all about this, I didn't know what it was when I got one. Can't blame staff if nobody knows the notes are changing to something that looks fake

It's been all of over the news and the internet so I'm surprised people don't know about it ... I had to tell my local shop about it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

kfallon wrote: »
    When do the old fivers stop being legal tender?

Never, according to that awful eu promo video I watched.

They should bring in a 99c coin and a 4.99 or 9.99 eur note instead.
    My wallet is full of 1c coins I can't use anywhere! What a waste!!
    Agreed on the first sentence.

As to the second: Tesco. Quieter hours. Self service check out machines.
    /sorted

'UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA' :mad:

Between Tesco, Dunnes and B&Q I've never had one of those machines work properly.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

SeanW wrote: »
    Agreed on the first sentence.
    /sorted

Something like that?

http://omg.wthax.org/4ArtKu.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

ninja900 wrote: »
    'UNEXPECTED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA' :mad:

Between Tesco, Dunnes and B&Q I've never had one of those machines work properly.

Hmm there's one common element to all those interactions....

I haven't seen one yet. But I'm very excited. Very.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I got one the other day from the post office, tried to use it in the tesco self service and they Havent updated their system yet so it wouldnt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Why does it need two fives printed on the front? Looks silly.

michellie wrote: »
    I got one the other day from the post office, tried to use it in the tesco self service and they Havent updated their system yet so it wouldnt work.
    Tesco s/s machine gave me three of the new ones in change today.
    Jello wrote: »
    Why does it need two fives printed on the front? Looks silly.
    The smaller one has that luminescent ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Got one today and they're grand. Stronger than the old ones but not as strong as the Aussie notes. Hopefully the rest of the denominations will follow

oldyouth wrote: »
    Got one today and they're grand. Stronger than the old ones but not as strong as the Aussie notes. Hopefully the rest of the denominations will follow
    New tenners are coming out next year, probably the 20s in 2015 etc. One new denomination a year is the rumours I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

I just received one of them this morning when I was buying milk from my local centra :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I just received one of them this morning when I was buying milk from my local centra :)

Ah now, you've got it all creased up already.

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    Ah now, you've got it all creased up already.

I'd say there'll be more new notes than old notes being removed from circulation in the next few months due to all the people trying to tear/wreck the new notes. Nearly everyone I've talked to who's gotten one has said they tried to tear it.

Advertisement