Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 5 EURO NOTE

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I only deal in crisp fiddy pound notes.

Uncreased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I only deal in crisp fiddy pound notes.

Uncreased.

Not much use to you here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Prodigious wrote: »
    Not much use to you here.

So do us a Prodijig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

So do us a Prodijig

*Tumbleweed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I prefer "Dong" to "Euro". We could have the "Ding" for all the coins.
    Five Dong and fifty Ding sounds much nicer. "Ding Dong". It has a nice ring to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Well if you were paying attention while you were there you'd know that some of the smaller denomination Dong are in coins. I still have some.

Of course I'm guessing you were too busy flashing wads of US dollars about to notice!

Apologies for being an Ignorant Ian, the lowest I came across was 1000 Dong notes. So I was indeed paying attention. As for you guessing that I was too busy flashing wads of US dollars about I can confirm that you are incorrect. :cool:

The point I was trying to make using the Dong as an example is that I approve of the new fiver and would encourage more paper money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

jester77 wrote: »
    Denmark have card payments in their pubs and clubs and I've had no issues paying with card while there.
    We have it in Ireland too.

In fact we can go one better in Ireland, we have contactless payments. You just wave your card over the machine, and don't need to enter your PIN. This is already installed in bars and clubs in Ireland.

There is a €15 limit for security.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

My wallet is full of 1c coins I can't use anywhere! What a waste!!

Build a 1c coin tower.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Should just go cashless, swipe your card or phone to pay for stuff and that's it. No carrying cash, rooting for change, waiting for some auld one to count out every penny in her purse to pay for something, no security for cash premises, etc.
    It's already happened

All the new cards support NFC, contact less payment. You don't even need to authorise it, all that needs to happen is that the card gets close enough to the reader.

Also means someone lift up to €15 out of your pocket, at a time, without even touching you. And like Chip N' Pin the onus is on you to prove it was fraudulent rather than the banks taking the hit.

• Advertisement

It's already happened

All the new cards support NFC, contact less payment. You don't even need to authorise it, all that needs to happen is that the card gets close enough to the reader.

Also means someone lift up to €15 out of your pocket, at a time, without even touching you. And like Chip N' Pin the onus is on you to prove it was fraudulent rather than the banks taking the hit.
    Time to line my wallet with tinfoil so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Interesting little switcharoo that the ECB has pulled has gone unnoticed by the media. The old €5 note could be linked to the country that they were printed in. The code on an Irish note begins with T, German notes X and Greek notes Y. Look at the code on the back of a €5 note now. It doesn't link to any specific country of production.

Interesting, very interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Time to line my wallet with tinfoil so!
    Double lining at least

http://www.omniscienceisbliss.org/rfid.html
    The aluminum foil did, however, help with preventing the card from transmitting. Without the aluminum foil, my card was detected by the reader at a distance of about a foot and a half. With the aluminum foil, the card was not detected until it was about two inches away.

Now there's a new business opportunity for someone,
    Wallets with a tin lined card holder.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I still have no idea what this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Denmark have card payments in their pubs and clubs and I've had no issues paying with card while there. No reason why it wouldn't work. Instead of giving cash, putting it into the till, taking out change, the customer just swipes their card or phone on the bar terminal and enters their pin.

I bet the Danish banks don't charge you 20cent for any transaction whether you pay by chip & pin or by contactless bonking.

Most Irish visa debit cards have NFC contactless payment technology built in already.

There's no reason, other than stupidly high fees, that we shouldn't be going far more high tech!

Sadly we just have banks that have all the technology but just want to gouge us until they pay off their gargantuan debts.

Maybe SEPA (Single European Payment Area) might finally blow the whole thing open and make it possible to back with competent institutions for merchants (taking cards) and customers!

Solair wrote: »
    There's no reason, other than stupidly high fees, that we shouldn't be going far more high tech!
    Apart for the potential for contactless skimming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Got one of the new fivers in change over the weekend, proceeded to accuse bar staff of trying to give me a counterfeit note. Mortification ensued.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They should bring in a 99c coin and a 4.99 or 9.99 eur note instead.
    My wallet is full of 1c coins I can't use anywhere! What a waste!!

Count them out and then buy something small like gum in the shop...
    Did that
    now my wallet is empty and I don't feel rich anymore :(

Haven't seen the new notes yet

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Interesting little switcharoo that the ECB has pulled has gone unnoticed by the media. The old €5 note could be linked to the country that they were printed in. The code on an Irish note begins with T, German notes X and Greek notes Y. Look at the code on the back of a €5 note now. It doesn't link to any specific country of production.

Interesting, very interesting.

Looks there to me

5gnK0mB.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Amounts from 1-2c are rounded down and 3-4c up to nearest 5.

An item costing €17.43 will be charged €17.45
    An item costing €17.42 will be charged €17.40

Rounding is only done once for all items collectively at point of payment, therefore there is no need to change individual prices.
    Mores the pity. When a shop wants to charge €10 for something they price it at €9.99 for psychological marketing reasons. Same reason something costs €99.99 instead of €100 etc. The numbers are needlessly long and pointless and it makes me think very poorly of the people involved. Oh and yes, I always mentally add the extra cent.

SeanW wrote: »
    Mores the pity. When a shop wants to charge €10 for something they price it at €9.99 for psychological marketing reasons. Same reason something costs €99.99 instead of €100 etc. The numbers are needlessly long and pointless and it makes me think very poorly of the people involved. Oh and yes, I always mentally add the extra cent.
    Same here, I ignore all the 999's and just think in the rounded up figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Looks there to me

5gnK0mB.png

What country code is UF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Ah I'm wrong, U is France (obviously!)

Ireland is T ... !

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

I heard they wont work with the ticket machines at train stations here?

james142 wrote: »
    I heard they wont work with the ticket machines at train stations here?
    Someone had better tell iarnrod eireann that the notes have been updated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

got one this morning in the post office after paying a bill. went into the shop next door to buy a bottle of water and the woman on the til seized it saying she wasnt accepting it as it wasnt a fiver.
    i told her it was and that i had just gotten it in change in the PO
    she gets the manager to look at it and she says that he said 'suppose we'll take it'
    too right you will take it its a fucking fiver

were idiot shop staff not told there was a new fiver in circulation?

were idiot shop staff not told there was a new fiver in circulation?

If she was never told, how is she an idiot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I was in the shop yesterday and purposly bought something and broke a tenner. In the hope of getting a new 5. I didnt get one. How long do we have to wait? And can someone post a picture of them ripping it or trying to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I was in the shop yesterday and purposly bought something and broke a tenner. In the hope of getting a new 5. I didnt get one. How long do we have to wait? And can someone post a picture of them ripping it or trying to.

of the 2 i got got in change one ripped when i tried

Advertisement