Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 5 EURO NOTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

when are the government bringing in the 9 bob note?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,042 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

when are the government bringing in the 9 bob note?

Two thousand and fiddy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mick_jt

Is it worth the same as the old five euro notes?
    Have the people thought this through yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭mister bishi

mathie wrote: »
    Are dare new fivers or are there old fivers or are their just de same old fivers?
    their new fivers that are replacing the old fivers that replaced the old fivers,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Random fact.

Most Irish (and German and American and probably a few other country's) banknotes have detectable amounts of cocaine on them.

And as such, surely, detectable amounts of nostril hair and snot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I want a €1 note. I liked the old £1 notes, made me feel rich :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

They should bring in a 99c coin and a 4.99 or 9.99 eur note instead.
    My wallet is full of 1c coins I can't use anywhere! What a waste!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭mister bishi

They should bring in a 99c coin and a 4.99 or 9.99 eur note instead.
    My wallet is full of 1c coins I can't use anywhere! What a waste!!
    or a Tree Fiddy coin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

they are going to trial getting rid of 1 and 2 cent coins

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

mick_jt wrote: »
    Is it worth the same as the old five euro notes?
    Have the people thought this through yet?

I'm prepared to offer 3 euro for every old 5euro note from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

And replace them with a three cent coin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

flas wrote: »
    going to be more like the australian notes I think!as in ya ant rip them...
    Jay D wrote: »
    Are they going to be like those English plastic ones you can't rip?

I think they're gonna be more like the Northern Ireland fivers.

Bomb proof. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Should just go cashless, swipe your card or phone to pay for stuff and that's it. No carrying cash, rooting for change, waiting for some auld one to count out every penny in her purse to pay for something, no security for cash premises, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

jester77 wrote: »
    Should just go cashless, swipe your card or phone to pay for stuff and that's it. No carrying cash, rooting for change, waiting for some auld one to count out every penny in her purse to pay for something, no security for cash premises, etc.

How would the black market work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Cashless is a very scary prospect. I'll keep my dirty fivers thank you very much

kneemos wrote: »
    How would the black market work?

electronically
    Cashless is a very scary prospect. I'll keep my dirty fivers thank you very much

Why is it scary? 90% of my transactions are cashless, the only reason it's not 100% is that some places still don't take cards as payment. Never had a single issue and don't have to worry about finding an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

RIP Old 5 euro note, we had some good times together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Pubs and clubs would be a nightmare then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Will make it more easy to launder them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I agree. Plus how would you buy stuff private? Would everyone have to have a card swiper?

Not everyone uses a mobile phone and only a very small percentage have phones with near field communications enabled in it. Would be a HUGE endeavour to go cashless and would never ever happen is my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

We should get rid of coins altogether. While away on my "Gap Yah" travels in Southeast Asia (please form an orderly queue for this rugged explorer ladies) I noticed that Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos had no coins at all and made carrying all the small denominations much easier without your wallet weighing a ton. Admittedly €1 is 27,500 Vietnamese Dong which makes notes more respectable.

It was that indestructible paper in Nam too, although I guess you had to be there to know :pac:

Denmark have card payments in their pubs and clubs and I've had no issues paying with card while there. No reason why it wouldn't work. Instead of giving cash, putting it into the till, taking out change, the customer just swipes their card or phone on the bar terminal and enters their pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

We should get rid of coins altogether. While away on my "Gap Yah" travels in Southeast Asia (please form an orderly queue for this rugged explorer ladies) I noticed that Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos had no coins at all and made carrying all the small denominations much easier without your wallet weighing a ton. Admittedly €1 is 27,500 Vietnamese Dong which makes notes more respectable.

It was that indestructible paper in Nam too, although I guess you had to be there to know :pac:
    Well if you were paying attention while you were there you'd know that some of the smaller denomination Dong are in coins. I still have some.

Of course I'm guessing you were too busy flashing wads of US dollars about to notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

How would that work?

Prodigious wrote: »
    How would that work?

The same as Finland I would imagine, round up/down to the nearest 5c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

How would that work?
    Amounts from 1-2c are rounded down and 3-4c up to nearest 5.

An item costing €17.43 will be charged €17.45
    An item costing €17.42 will be charged €17.40

Rounding is only done once for all items collectively at point of payment, therefore there is no need to change individual prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

How would that work?

Rounded to the nearest 0, 5 or 10.

You don't think that people will be rooting for their card? Or forgetting their pin? Or putting their card in the wrong way? Or getting all up in arms if there isn't enough money in their account/card is declined?

In the shop I work in, card transactions are the most common reason for the queue being held up.

How would people be able to give money to each other outside of business? If a friend needs a loan should you perform bank transfers to and fro?

To be honest I just prefer cash. I find it easier to control what I spend, to budget, and most importantly, to feel like I'm rich on the rare occasion that there's a few big notes in my pocket.

You don't think that people will be rooting for their card?

Much easier to root out a card from your wallet (they come with their own compartments especially for cards) than rooting around for lots of change.
    Or forgetting their pin?

Then they won't be able to get cash from the ATM either, so no difference.
    Or putting their card in the wrong way?

There is always a huge symbol on the device showing which way to put the card in.

Or getting all up in arms if there isn't enough money in their account/card is declined?

Well, then they won't be able to get any cash from the ATM either.
    In the shop I work in, card transactions are the most common reason for the queue being held up.

Why is that happening where you work? I've had the opposite experience, people rummaging from change, then counting it out and the cashier has to enter it and take out the appropriate change take much longer than a swipe and pin entry.
    How would people be able to give money to each other outside of business? If a friend needs a loan should you perform bank transfers to and fro?

There are apps where you can just bump phones off one another to transfer money, e.g. bump, paypal.
    To be honest I just prefer cash. I find it easier to control what I spend, to budget, and most importantly, to feel like I'm rich on the rare occasion that there's a few big notes in my pocket.

I find the opposite to be true. Not sure how having cash makes it easier to control spending. I can pull up my bank balance on my phone at any time and know how much I have.

• Advertisement

Most of the elderly customers I have carry about 5 cards in each slot, on the rare occasion that they can quickly identify where it is, it takes a good while for them to get it out. Granted, it's not an issue with all customers, but neither is rooting for change.

As for the ATM comments, why do you seem to think that people paying by cash come straight from an ATM? I visit an ATM once a week, not before every purchase.

With the card in the wrong way issue, I know it's clear, if not just from the common sense that obviously if it's reading the chip, the chip needs to be in the pad, yet I see people put it in the wrong way every day.

An app where I can bump phones with people would require me to have a smartphone in the first place, then afford internet, and still, logical or not I'd prefer to throw a friend a fiver than use bank transfers.
    I find the opposite to be true. Not sure how having cash makes it easier to control spending. I can pull up my bank balance on my phone at any time and know how much I have.
    And that's great for you, but it doesn't take away the fact that I prefer the other option, nor does it justify making cash obsolete.

I'm not arguing to get rid of cashless transactions, I just think that people should have the choice to use cash if they want to, because some people, like myself, prefer it, and some people, like myself, have a different experience of the trouble it can cause than you do.

Advertisement