Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco extra no longer extra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Are you sure this is not just for the petrol station?

No both supermarket and petrol station will now be 6am-12am although those are the petrol station hours currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No both supermarket and petrol station will now be 6am-12am although those are the petrol station hours currently.

Ah balls..... No more 3am random trips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maltese falcon11

Spoke to three members of staff there tonight - And they all confirmed store will be closed from 12 midnight to 6am every night from 7th May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I have never in my life been in tesco after 9pm at night but I for one am shocked and horrified by this latest development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I have it on good authority that Phil Hogan put pressure on Tesco Ireland to reduce it's opening times. Apparently it may help with attracting tenants to the Ferrybank Library/ Shopping Centre.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Now that they close nights they should consider staying closed St Stephan's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I went into the petrol station on Friday night at 11pm and was refused fuel because they had the tills counted up even though they are open until 12...

I think they do close at 11, I've often seen the lights off after 11pm.

But you're right I've seen signs saying 6am to 12am somewhere near the petrol station.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aye, closed daily (including weekends) at midnight. Now, is that midnight like the rest of our clocks or Tesco Midnight which is generally an hour or so before midnight? As has been rightly pointed out, the petrol station was supposed to be open till midnight after it was scaled back from 24hrs but they close most nights at around 11 (tonight included).

The one in Tramore doesn't stick to the advertised opening hours either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Wonder does this fella know anything about what is really going on at Tesco?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056701786 :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

would'nt buy petrol there anyway unless ya like wasting your money on **** fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Now that they close nights they should consider staying closed St Stephan's day.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Sully wrote: »
    Aye, closed daily (including weekends) at midnight. Now, is that midnight like the rest of our clocks or Tesco Midnight which is generally an hour or so before midnight? As has been rightly pointed out, the petrol station was supposed to be open till midnight after it was scaled back from 24hrs but they close most nights at around 11 (tonight included).

The one in Tramore doesn't stick to the advertised opening hours either.

Complain to head office if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

would'nt buy petrol there anyway unless ya like wasting your money on **** fuel

It's the same fuel as Topaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

It's the same fuel as Topaz.
    you would think that would'nt ya, but companies like topaz,maxol,texaco when they buy in petrol they all buy it in the same but they add there own different fuel additives to the fuel to either make it last 25km,s longer per tank or clean your engine and what ever else they all promise, http://www.bakerhughes.com/products-and-services/downstream-chemicals/fuel-additive-technology?gclid=CJPIq_uVgbcCFYEb4QodIm0ARQ this is one such company that supplies such a additives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Extra refers to the range of products carried / size if store not the opening hours.

There are tiny Tesco locals that open 24/7 and extras that open almost only business hours.

They've probably decided its costing them more money in terms if staffing and security than the store is generating over night.

Even in Dublin and Cork they've been rolling back to just very late night opening on most stores with 24h only at a couple of locations.

AFAIK, it will only be the 2 Finglas stores opening 24hr after May.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I enjoyed shopping after midnight, it was mostly quite and easier to do a full weeks shopping than the generally packed lunchtime type times... I found it a great way to wind down after DJing for a party or something as I don't drink when playing and wouldn't be tired til 5 or so in the morning >.>

Not going to miss it or anything of course, but it is a bit of a shame... Lets hope they actually lower their prices to at least match Aldi/Lidl at this stage though as they are currently getting worse by the month :/

Bloody place is much busier now between 10 and 12am !

FatB wrote: »
    I enjoyed shopping after midnight, it was mostly quite and easier to do a full weeks shopping than the generally packed lunchtime type times... I found it a great way to wind down after DJing for a party or something as I don't drink when playing and wouldn't be tired til 5 or so in the morning >.>

Is that you, Jackie O'Keeffe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

FatB wrote: »

Not going to miss it or anything of course, but it is a bit of a shame... Lets hope they actually lower their prices to at least match Aldi/Lidl at this stage though as they are currently getting worse by the month :/

Is that you Norman Cook ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thedancingcow

Oh look - at least if they're only cutting back on hours they're not closing like everything else in the city... lets be thankful for small mercies....

..like everything else in the city...

We are still a city, we are?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

wobbles wrote: »
    Heard they are getting a pharmacy in the store so it may be to do with that. Unfortunately, i dont think its a tesco pharmacy. Its supposed to be just a normal one just inside the store

Does anyone know if the pharmacy actually opened?

Is it inside the tesco store or just in the center?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

brianb10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the pharmacy actually opened?

Is it inside the tesco store or just in the center?

Its inside and mullagans I think just straight on when you walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianb10

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Its inside and mullagans I think just straight on when you walk in.

So it's not a tesco pharmacy with cheap prescription meds?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its a Mulligans with really friendly staff , and they will offer you cheap generic meds .

http://just-ask.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭south

I think the price of prescription meds is the same everywhere isn't it? Government controlled ?

• Advertisement

No there's a really good thread about it over in rip off ireland!

There are different ways to work out the bill for meds.

Just say the cost price for 30 pills is €100.00.

Some stores charge 10.00 plus 30% - 50% mk up then dispensing fee, so say €180.

Others places charge cost price plus dispensing fee, so maybe €100 plus €7.

I think the Tesco and Boots dispensing fee is slightly lower than some other pharmacies, but that doesn't mean their markup is higher or lower.

Advertisement