Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie inaugural Beer Mile 14/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

With just two weeks to the athletic event of the year, how is everyone's training going? I'm hoping to use the opportunity of the long weekend, to try and get a bit of drinking practice in (I'm taking this very seriously). May also pop into the off-license to pick up a variety of products to sample.

Predicted Times:
    Krusty_Clown | 7:59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

With just two weeks to the athletic event of the year, how is everyone's training going? I'm hoping to use the opportunity of the long weekend, to try and get a bit of drinking practice in (I'm taking this very seriously). May also pop into the off-license to pick up a variety of products to sample.

I'd say there's little to be gained from focussing on speedwork at this stage- its all about how fast you can neck a cold one (3 beers down and its not even 6pm, that's dedication;))

Predicted Times:
    Kurt Godel 7:58

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Predicted Times:
    Kurt Godel 7:30

Feck it, in for a penny, in for a pound! (very easy making predictions right now :D)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Feck it, in for a penny, in for a pound! (very easy making predictions right now :D)
    Did you sink another beer in the four minutes between those two posts? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

sideswipe wrote: »
    Seems like huge numbers interested in this, will there be heats on the night? Could get messy by the final:D

TBH messy is how it should be lol... But no heats. Literally one big race - let the cream rise to the top!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

drquirky wrote: »
    But no heats. Literally one big race -

At least have an age grading.
    Its my chance to beat Blockic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Predicted Times:
    Kurt Godel 7:30
    TRR| 8.15

I'm plan on doing a 800 & 1200 time trial this weekend. Major problem is logistics to and from the park I want to do it in. I think the mrs is heading out with the kids tomorrow afternoon for an hour or so, so literally thinking about doing 2 laps of the block around my housing estate, it's ~330 metres but will do the trick. It's actually like a threshold session :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have absolutely no idea of a projected finish time but I have an important question. Are there any medals, t-shirts or Goody bags awarded for the completion of this race?

What's the beer of choice for this? Any low 'gas' beers, what's Krustys final choice going to be?

What's the beer of choice for this? Any low 'gas' beers, what's Krustys final choice going to be?
    Let nobody ever doubt the veracity of my commitment.

734687B060D448D3A7BD7B6FBFCDC124-0000325964-0003266467-00500L-1560AD100BD9401ABC51F8872D247DA2.jpg

<shudder>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

<shudder>

Is this even an approved beer? I'm looking at the list that was circulated and Coors Light doesn't have a green dot next to it. I fear the lowering of your beer standards may have been in vain.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Are there any medals, t-shirts or Goody bags awarded for the completion of this race?

I still have the trophy for the Boards AC 10k event. It could be renamed as the Boards Beer Mile trophy and presented at an elaborate awards ceremony afterwards. I doubt I'll be taking it back home with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

734687B060D448D3A7BD7B6FBFCDC124-0000325964-0003266467-00500L-1560AD100BD9401ABC51F8872D247DA2.jpg

<shudder>

Proud of you. I was very concerned that your commitment to quality beer would scupper your chances.

Are they 330ml bottles?

The rules clearly state:

5. Competitors must drink canned beer and the cans should not be
    less than 355ml (the standard can volume) or 12oz (the imperial equivalent).
    Bottles may be substituted for cans as long as they are at least
    12 oz (355 ml) in volume.

I sure don't want to see KC disqualified over a technicality! Or maybe it's part of his dastardly plan for us to blindly follow and be dq'd.

Can you DNS in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea of a projected finish time but I have an important question. Are there any medals, t-shirts or Goody bags awarded for the completion of this race?

The only reason I race is for a t-shirt. I will be disgusted if there is none and probably won't turn up. ;)

Are they 330ml bottles?

The rules clearly state:

I sure don't want to see KC disqualified over a technicality! Or maybe it's part of his dastardly plan for us to blindly follow and be dq'd.

Can you DNS in this?

We've been cleared to use 330ml due to the limitations of the 355ml in this country!! So KC is all clear.

I myself will be hoping to not finish last and will be damn proud if I achieve it!! I'll be using cerveza as my beverage of choice! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Are they 330ml bottles?

The rules clearly state:

Can you DNS in this?

I wouldn't be too worried about a 25ml discrepancy, the parts I'm focusing on are to get four drinks down, four laps run, and not to spew in the middle of it.

At the moment I need to concentrate on making the start line first, though.

blockic wrote: »
    The only reason I race is for a t-shirt. I will be disgusted if there is none and probably won't turn up. ;)

A new t-shirt will likely be essential after this race ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Lads, I wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics of the beer measurements. Nobody here is going to be setting any world records so ratification is not going to be an issue to worry about. Pick whatever you like as long as it isn't taking the piss (for example beer strength under 4% is getting a little iffy).

Here's some tips for you all:

http://dailyrelay.com/10-most-important-tips-for-running-a-beer-mile-from-the-world-record-holder/

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Lads, I wouldn't get too hung up on the specifics of the beer measurements. Nobody here is going to be setting any world records so ratification is not going to be an issue to worry about]

Dunno Pisco- from my internet "research" and with the amount of geriatrics we could have a Masters record at the BM :D

drquirky wrote: »
    Dunno Pisco- from my internet "research" and with the amount of geriatrics we could have a Masters record at the BM :D

We should also go the London marathon route and have "world records" for fancy dress. I've a pirate costume in the attic so was thinking of setting a beer mile record dressed as a pirate! That's assuming I finish!

When you think about the Irish, two things spring to mind. Firstly as a nation we have an alcohol problem and secondly historically we have always produced great milers. There is probably some lad in the country waking up this morning with a massive hangover after running home from a night club without the realisation he could be the next superstar of international beer mileing

• Advertisement

Was doing a bit of beer mile related research today, and came across this event. One for the post-autumn marathon season perhaps?
    Kastenlauf (short for "Bierkastenlauf", literally "beer crate running"), Kistenlauf, Bierlauf, Bierkastenrennen (literally crate-running, beer crate-running, or equivalents), Bier-Rallye, Bierathlon, etc., is a drinking sport in the German-speaking countries Austria, Germany and Switzerland. It is a race among teams that consist of two people carrying a crate of beer, all of which must be consumed prior to crossing the finish line. The route is about 10 km long, although it can vary from half this to twice this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Kastenlauf (short for "Bierkastenlauf", literally "beer crate running"), Kistenlauf, Bierlauf, Bierkastenrennen (literally crate-running, beer crate-running, or equivalents), Bier-Rallye, Bierathlon, etc., is a drinking sport in the German-speaking countries Austria, Germany and Switzerland. It is a race among teams that consist of two people carrying a crate of beer, all of which must be consumed prior to crossing the finish line. The route is about 10 km long, although it can vary from half this to twice this.

:confused::confused::confused: I would never have left had I known about this! :eek::eek::eek:

One week to go until the big one! As soon as I get a pesky 5k out of the way tomorrow then it will be full focus on the main event.

Tempted to leave a bottle of Coors on the finish line tomorrow, so as soon as I finish I can neck that, turn around and sprint back along the course.

One week to go. I contacted Beer Mile WR holder Josh Harris (thanks Pisco) and asked him to give us some tips for next week and he came through! The guy is a complete legend.

One week to go and if I were running I'd pay close attention to the above video. 5:04 is pretty freaking fast. I was at the venue today and will post some thoughts later as well as pm'ing final directions to everyone... Hope everyone gets out for some training on this beautiful weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

anyone drinking this only has to do 3 laps...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Next challenge for after the beer mile, one for the sprinters and jumpers!

Thought this was just for pride and bragging rights?!

Well, around this time next week a proud (albeit disoriented and worse for wear) boardsie will have the honour of lifting this for the first time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w7huevaml0c9x9/2013-06-07%2019.05.16.jpg

(Can't work out how to insert image. Have tried via dropbox and instagram, but doesn't work)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

8gCuZfDQEZs6TlFqFRU6VeIYYLmc8Gk6_BT_f62to0Q

That video is legend. Drquirky you are putting some effort into this event :) I love the anatomy diagrams in the background while Josh Harris speaks, makes the whole thing seem semi sports scientific :)

Did a beer recce this evening and from an extensive search of my local Dunnes stores and O'Briens the only 355 ml bottles I could find were Corona. I know 330 bottles are allowed but just thought I'd put that out there in case anybody is planning on breaking any world records.

• Advertisement

I just did my first beer specific session tonight. Had a bottle of corona before the match on an empty stomach. Managed it in 15 seconds. Was happy with that but felt it was a bit conservative so after the match having taken a burger and chips and a pint of murphys just before I had a go at necking a bottle of coors. The idea was to mimick the conditions of the 4th beer so I was delighted with 8 seconds!! My tactic will be to be aggressive for the beer drinking and hope for the best!!

Advertisement