Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie inaugural Beer Mile 14/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Things are heating up nicely round these parts. I've yet to choose my beverage, but definitely leaning towards twisty bottles. What sort of uniforms are people going with? I won't be wearing my club singlet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

What sort of uniforms are people going with? I won't be wearing my club singlet! ;)

Standard dress for Beer Miles is string vest (off-white), wellington boots, and a ra-ra skirt (skirt optional). Sure, everybody knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ah - how many drunken laps does a girl have to run to get into the bookies' favourites???

excellent, I think claralara reckoned she had no competition.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Anybody any ideas what sells in 355ml bottles/cans around Dublin?

Corona/Heineken/Carlsberg and coors light ;) are the ones that spring to mind. I think their is a 4.3% alcohol minimum requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Anybody any ideas what sells in 355ml bottles/cans around Dublin?

Ok ok- we'll go w/ 330 though again- if you're going for the World Record you better show up w/ 355/ 12oz... I'm currently in negotiations w/ Josh Harris the current WR holder to try to get him to issue an inspirational message/ training talk to everyone participating,...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

drquirky wrote: »
    Ok ok- we'll go w/ 330 though again- if you're going for the World Record you better show up w/ 355/ 12oz... I'm currently in negotiations w/ Josh Harris the current WR holder to try to get him to issue an inspirational message/ training talk to everyone participating,...:D

I might still go over distance and train with 355s :pac: :D

Training starts tonight. Throw me down at evens to throw up anyway!

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    Ok ok- we'll go w/ 330 though again- if you're going for the World Record you better show up w/ 355/ 12oz...

my bad I didn't read that properly. Not aware of any 355ml cans/bottles myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm thinking of a really bland beer, I usually drink wheat beers, preferably German but think they would be too much for an event like this. Something really bland that will go down easy, Miller maybe? I hate tough training decisions! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Right guys someone has to price this up :D

TRR 9/4 fav
    Will start well, in with a shout at halfway, but get distracted during a reverse 'chickin' maneuver
    kielyunusual 4/1
    Attempts to match Krusty stride for stride and chug for chug, runs wide on lap 3 and never recovers
    ecoli 5/1
    Leads the race into the final beer - does he have the staying power to see it through
    Krusty_Clown 6/1
    Puts a lot of time and effort into his strategy, beer selection is a carefully thought out process, lunch time trials have seen a decrease in productivity back at his work place, spends too long admiring the magnificent coloring and lingering hoppiness of his final beer selection
    timmay 7/1
    Starts very well and sees it through to the end before a disqualification for substituting Bulmers for Carlsberg

Standard dress for Beer Miles is string vest (off-white), wellington boots, and a ra-ra skirt (skirt optional). Sure, everybody knows that.

Glad we've cleared that up, then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

If I can just avoid going for a cigarette after my 3rd beer, I genuinley think I can win this. Brian; what odds?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

I presume there will be video evidence of the inaugural boards beer mile. More for the comedy effect rather than for posterity. Out of curiosity are straws allowed as a drinking aid?

dev123 wrote: »
    1. I presume there will be video evidence of the inaugural boards beer mile. More for the comedy effect rather than for posterity. 2. Out of curiosity are straws allowed as a drinking aid?

1. Hopefully.

2. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Peckham

Anyone else finding themselves looking at the range of beers in a supermarket and wondering whether it's worth buying a single can to test the fizz level in a certain beer you're unfamiliar with?!

Was at a christening on Saturday where there were three beers to choose from. I drank one of each (purely for research purposes of course!). None of the three will be making the shortlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Becks beer is a good option. Little fizz and goes down easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm thinking that cans have got to be quicker than bottles, as they're easier to open, and should allow some air passage back into the can, for a more even flow. The only beer in cans that I can think of that is worth drinking, is Punk IPA. At 5.6% though (and €2.60 a can), pricey (both in terms of cash of projectile vomit potential).

Porterhouse bottles are 330ml, and actually have a ring-pull to remove the lids, so that could be a viable option. Porterhouse red is a tasty beer and at 4.4% meets the required alcohol volume. Must get me some and go for a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Krusty I'd avoid the craft beers for this. What you want is generic piss. Lesson 1 0 1 of beer mileing is to never pick a beer you like as there is a good chance you won't ever want to touch it again afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Love it, add me in there [will send PM too]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Digger and CL were talking smack about this on Monday, but I see they didn't have the cojones to enter

Oh we are in alright, the smack is between the two of us unless there is an age handicap ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Oh we are in alright, the smack is between the two of us unless there is an age handicap ;)

I swear to god if she chicks me I'm retiring from this message board and will probably never be seen at a race in the future either!

How many ladies are down to run anyway? The thought of being chicked full stop is giving me sleepless nights. Maybe we should have a separate ladies race!!!!! yeah that's a great idea. I suppose they'll be looking for portaloos and the likes though so probably too much hassle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

if der is birds doin it ,does dat mean iv to wear clothes?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

ultraman1 wrote: »

Surely this is the only reason any "birds" have signed up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Only for the first 3 laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Sign me up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Can't not do this!!
    But I need a full breakdown of the rules before engaging in this sort of frivolity.....

Do I sign up on RunIreland??

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

Sounds interesting... could be tempted to join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Can't not do this!!
    But I need a full breakdown of the rules before engaging in this sort of frivolity.....

Do I sign up on RunIreland??

:-)

Pm drquirky and he will send you all the details:). it's the event of the year, you can't miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Seems like huge numbers interested in this, will there be heats on the night? Could get messy by the final:D

Jaysus - was just looking at the list of eligible beers. This isn't going to be easy as I'm really more of a Bulmers gal myself. Dunno if I should start training by bringing a can or two along to my runs for the next few weeks! Should I go into the details of why, or just tell my running partners that I'm a newly chronic alcoholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Jaysus - was just looking at the list of eligible beers. This isn't going to be easy as I'm really more of a Bulmers gal myself. Dunno if I should start training by bringing a can or two along to my runs for the next few weeks! Should I go into the details of why, or just tell my running partners that I'm a newly chronic alcoholic?

It's a perfect evening for a session - I'm doing intervals between the back garden and the beer fridge :D

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    It's a perfect evening for a session - I'm doing intervals between the back garden and the beer fridge :D

Ah - damn you serious athletes. I know I should crack open a bevvie and do a few laps around the table, but I just can't get in the zone. Can I compromise with a glass of wine and a few star jumps?

Advertisement