Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie inaugural Beer Mile 14/6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

greenb wrote: »
    Scenes from the snapper were actually filmed in the Cedar lounge (cedars), a really good local boozer and about 12 mins walk from the track. The foxhound inn is beside the track.....perfectly ok, but not the best pub in the area imo.

Ah, was it outside the foxhound that they had the van then?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Killerz wrote: »
    Ah, was it outside the foxhound that they had the van then?

Yea, think you're right there. That was where the crowds came out after the Ireland game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

This sounds like my kinda mile! I'd vote for TCD if we could get away with it!

Are there any rules in place yet. Like, does it have to be beer, or could we substitute Bulmers? Does it have to be from a can or could we use a glass? (Hate drinking from cans.) Is it ok if we slur and tell people they're our behst friendsh on the last lap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Are there any rules in place yet. Like, does it have to be beer, or could we substitute Bulmers? Does it have to be from a can or could we use a glass? (Hate drinking from cans.) Is it ok if we slur and tell people they're our behst friendsh on the last lap?

There's a good chance I could be dropping the hand on the last lap. Telling somebody you love them is grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There is really no point voting for TCD, because likelihood is we won't get away with it. I don't want to put myself through months of gruelling training (i.e. boozing) for the race to be called off.

I think the rules are 330ml unopened bottles or cans. I am sure if you want to open the bottle/can midrace and pour into a glass that would be fine but the point is the gas is still in the beer. Not sure about cider btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Two questions;

1) I know the clue is in the name, but if a Seb Coe turned up with a bottle of Pimms (or even wine), is there some sort of IAAF conversion tables that would allow one to compete against all you Steve Ovett hops-guzzlin' coal-fetchers? (reckon I know the answer to this one!)

2) Is there parking near Kilgobet?

Kurt Godel wrote: »

2) Is there parking near Kilgobet?

Do you plan on driving home?
    I'd imagine you could park no problem in any of the estates near Kilboget. Shanganagh Vale, Granville park etc. Alternatively the Tesco in ballybrack at the other side of the park would be fine too.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you plan on driving home?
    I'd imagine you could park no problem in any of the estates near Kilboget. Shanganagh Vale, Granville park etc. Alternatively the Tesco in ballybrack at the other side of the park would be fine too.

Thanks!

(...sucker!;))

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Thanks!

(...sucker!;))

Haha, no it's actually an option I am considering. Park up and run back to retrieve the car the day after.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Haha, no it's actually an option I am considering. Park up and run back to retrieve the car the day after.

Perfect, I'll sleep in your car so;)

Reckon I could be a dark horse for this. I've mixed boozing and running plenty of times in my brilliant career. Got dragged by my mates from the long jump in Portlaoise age 14, to scull fours pints of afternoon Furstenburg, and had to go back and jump the final. Ran the 3rd leg of a Junior Home Countries 4x400m relay as an under 15, on an hours sleep from nightclub ciders (can still taste them to this day) and a wine breakfast in Liverpool. Everything from then is hazy until my midnight DM taper last year... bring it on:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Ok everyone-

A bit of an executive decision has been reached on this one. A few people who shall remain nameless have been providing some input around logistics/ venue etc and the way its gonna work is this: PM me if you are interested in running and I will get back to you with an exact venue and time. I will also put together an faq that should answer some basic questions like beer size/ meat wagon schedule/ code words etc.... The reasons for the subterfuge are myriad and I'd prefer not to go into them in the thread- but PM me to confirm on this and you will receive some instructions within a week.

Thanks

DQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

PM Sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hey folks-

PM has gone out...here is the current start list

sorry if i missed anyone let me know if you want in

TRR
    ecoli
    menoscemo
    timmay
    christeb
    killerz
    pconn062
    YellowFeather
    shels4ever
    Peckham
    nerraw1111
    Oregano_State
    Kurt Godel
    Marthastew
    BeepBeep67
    Krusty_Clown
    cunavalos
    kielyunusual
    blockic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Looking forward to 5 laps... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

ah, the post above answers my PM to drquirky, so he can ignore it!

I was concerned by the low uptake, but looks like it will be a busier race than I feared. Now all that's left to do is select the beer of choice.

Will anyone be brave enough to select Guinness? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Peckham wrote: »
    ah, the post above answers my PM to drquirky, so he can ignore it!

I was concerned by the low uptake, but looks like it will be a busier race than I feared. Now all that's left to do is select the beer of choice.

Will anyone be brave enough to select Guinness? :D

Should make it an ABV handicap!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

drquirky wrote: »
    Hey folks-

TRR
    ecoli
    menoscemo
    timmay
    christeb
    killerz
    pconn062
    YellowFeather
    shels4ever
    Peckham
    nerraw1111
    Oregano_State
    Kurt Godel
    Marthastew
    BeepBeep67
    Krusty_Clown
    cunavalos
    kielyunusual
    blockic

I'm interested pending dates/time, etc. Chalk me down

wideball wrote: »
    I'm interested pending dates/time, etc. Chalk me down

PM drquirky

THE FIRST RULE OF BOARDS BEER MILE. YOU DO TALK ABOUT BOARDS BEER MILE IN PUBLIC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm presuming like all Irish events this won't start exactly on time?! I'm working in Glasnevin until 7 so hopefully I can make it down in time, might have to bus it out. If not I'll just drive down and give a hand with the organisation (holding back peoples hair as the puke and such!! :)).

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm presuming like all Irish events this won't start exactly on time?! I'm working in Glasnevin until 7 so hopefully I can make it down in time, might have to bus it out. If not I'll just drive down and give a hand with the organisation (holding back peoples hair as the puke and such!! :)).

If you're holding back my hair things have gone horribly wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Hey folks-

TRR
    ecoli
    menoscemo
    timmay
    christeb
    killerz
    pconn062
    YellowFeather
    shels4ever
    Peckham
    nerraw1111
    Oregano_State
    Kurt Godel
    Marthastew
    BeepBeep67
    Krusty_Clown
    cunavalos
    kielyunusual
    blockic
    I dont fancy my chances with this start list, but you never know how things will go on the day. Pace it right and hope people puke their ring over the last lap (i'll prob be the first to spew)...think it should be full 500ml cans ;)

I'm in negotiations with a local offy to try and get a few prizes, nothing big maybe a few craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Right guys someone has to price this up :D

TRR 9/4 fav
    kielyunusual 4/1
    ecoli 5/1
    Krusty_Clown 6/1
    timmay 7/1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TRR 9/4 fav
    kielyunusual 4/1
    ecoli 5/1
    Krusty_Clown 6/1
    timmay 7/1
    I would say Krusty_Clown should be closer to 10/1, with a very strong chance of a fifth lap. My money would be on ecoli or Timmaay, as they've done it before. KielyUnusual is just too skinny for a job like this. BB67 could be a dark horse. Meno would be in with a shout if he could just run quicker. But yeah, TRR has it all (massive body weight, and reasonably quick). :)

KielyUnusual is just too skinny for a job like this. BB67 could be a dark horse.

Are you sayin' I is fat

TRR 9/4 fav
    kielyunusual 4/1
    ecoli 5/1
    Krusty_Clown 6/1
    timmay 7/1

Oh the pressure but I think you've got it wrong here Brian. I think ecoli is definitely the favourite. I'm like one of the DCM novices, ill be just happy to get around and pick up my medal, tee shirt, goody bag and race photo. I reckon there may be a couple of ladies (besides Krusty) involved in this race, this is one race I don't want to get chicked in :)

Hey folks-

TRR
    ecoli
    menoscemo
    timmay
    christeb
    killerz
    pconn062
    YellowFeather
    shels4ever
    Peckham
    nerraw1111
    Oregano_State
    Kurt Godel
    Marthastew
    BeepBeep67
    Krusty_Clown
    cunavalos
    kielyunusual
    blockic

Digger and CL were talking smack about this on Monday, but I see they didn't have the cojones to enter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

TRR 9/4 fav
    kielyunusual 4/1
    ecoli 5/1
    Krusty_Clown 6/1
    timmay 7/1

Ah - how many drunken laps does a girl have to run to get into the bookies' favourites???

I would say Krusty_Clown should be closer to 10/1, with a very strong chance of a fifth lap. My money would be on ecoli or Timmaay, as they've done it before. KielyUnusual is just too skinny for a job like this. BB67 could be a dark horse. Meno would be in with a shout if he could just run quicker. But yeah, TRR has it all (massive body weight, and reasonably quick). :)

The big question is, are you going to be supping some posh beer in transition, or are you going to lower yourself to TRR's level and neck some cans of piss?

Anybody any ideas what sells in 355ml bottles/cans around Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ha hmmm I wouldn't fancy trying to put odds on this race, less predictable than a wet grand national! Usually a dark horse will appear outa nowhere! I'm thinking back to one of the yrs I did one, there was this big chap, clearly not an athlete, in jeans, yes jeans ha, every lap I'd rocket on by him, but on chugging the beers he was wayyy quicker than me and would always overtake me again. Last lap I really really had to dig deep to catch back up to him (I'd estimate a sub30 second closing 200 :P), I just managed to dip him on the line, I go to shake his hand and he starts spewing vomit everywhere ha!

By the way, I didn't get the PM, anyone mind fwding it on please!

Advertisement