Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Application - Office of the Comptroller & AG

Options
  • 27-04-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I recently applied for a trainee auditor position with the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General. Just wondering had anybody else on this applied? Do you know if they send out rejection letters etc or do you assume if you haven't heard anything you were unsuccessful?

Thanks a mil :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No.

If you didn't get an offer by now, you weren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 annabbt

myshirt wrote: »
    No.

Subtle as a sledgehammer! Do you know somebody who has applies in previous years? The closing date was Thursday at midnight so I might hold out hope until Monday evening. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d.m.b1990

Hi
    I applied, I wouldn't expect to hear anything back until Monday or Tuesday and even then it will be just an invitation to do an online assessment.
    I expect it will be very tough competition. What sort of experience do you have?

I applied in blind hope more than anything else. Really tough competition but if your not in you can't win :)

I have two years in small practice. How about yourself? I'm not sure what experience/level is required since they seems to be taking graduates, pqa and qualified. Will have to wait and see. Do you know how many positions there are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

No.

Its not for you to say the OP was good enough or not. Do you work for HR in the Civil Service? Did you see his CV? If no GTFO:D

May not be suited to that role, does not mean he is not good enough persay.

Lose the bad attitude , OP was just looking for an up-date in the first instance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I agree with the sentiment, but not the tone of the above. Can we keep it civil please.

I'm just doing a postgrad to get my cap 1s at the moment have 4 months experience at a small firm last summer and have previously obtained a law degree. I applied with the same optimism to be honest, just too good of an opportunity to turn down really.

d.m.b1990 wrote: »
    I'm just doing a postgrad to get my cap 1s at the moment have 4 months experience at a small firm last summer and have previously obtained a law degree. I applied with the same optimism to be honest, just too good of an opportunity to turn down really.

Seems like we're both in the same boat. Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

kravmaga wrote: »
    Its not for you to say the OP was good enough or not. Do you work for HR in the Civil Service? Did you see his CV? If no GTFO:D

May not be suited to that role, does not mean he is not good enough persay.

Lose the bad attitude , OP was just looking for an up-date in the first instance.

@op I apologise if the phrasing was harsh and cold.

No hurt meant... genuinely...

In any event... according to the prophecy... (as I did not apply myself)... they have proceeded with a select few. I heard that on good counsel.

So many people have been talking about that job, it's amazing... everyone in the know knows about it.. nice money of course.

@op I apologise if the phrasing was harsh and cold.

No hurt meant... genuinely...

In any event... according to the prophecy... (as I did not apply myself)... they have proceeded with a select few. I heard that on good counsel.

So many people have been talking about that job, it's amazing... everyone in the know knows about it.. nice money of course.

considering there is an online assessment to follow next week I highly doubt that they've it narrowed it down to a select few at stage 1.

• Advertisement

No.

If you have it on good authority then that's that and thanks for the info, it will save me checking my emails like a mad man but maybe you could have lead with that comment rather than the one above which questions my qualifications, background and technical skills with out any knowledge of me what's so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

Hi Op,

I got an email today for the second stage so might still have a chance of getting through.

Hi,

Ya I got it aswell, looks like a standard response to anybody who applied and had the necessary requirements.

Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

thomlin wrote: »
    Hi Op,

I got an email today for the second stage so might still have a chance of getting through.

Second stage?? The first stage assessment takes place next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Be prepared for the fact that it tends to be a long and slow process. Don't be expecting to hear back from them immediately at any point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

annabbt wrote: »
    Hi,

Ya I got it aswell, looks like a standard response to anybody who applied and had the necessary requirements.

Best of luck with it :)

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Anybody done the test yet and have any words of wisdom to share about it?

Anybody done the test yet and have any words of wisdom to share about it?

Yea, do the practice test.

Anyone get called for the second stage?

mkdon05 wrote: »

Ya

• Advertisement

mkdon05 wrote: »

Ya I did. Does anybody know what the case study is about? They don't give much info on it.

No idea what the case study is about. Any idea why they call so many candidates to stage 2? I placed 180 out of 230. An actual job offer seems like a million miles away!

Got placed too and it was like I had passed an exam but then realised theres prob along way to go!!
    The plaving out of 230 hardly means only 230 got called to next stage does anyone reckon??

Got placed too and it was like I had passed an exam but then realised theres prob along way to go!!
    The plaving out of 230 hardly means only 230 got called to next stage does anyone reckon??

I'd say that's exactly what it means. They probably had a cut off for the assessment results and everyone below was excluded at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Does anyone know how many trainee auditors they are actually taking on? 230 seems like a high number to get through to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Cookie89

Hi just wondering are all the times early morning? Pity there wasn't more flexibility with the times given. Getting off work is going to be a problem

Afternoon ones as well I'm in friday @ 13.15 - would rather the morning session. Luckily I'm on study leave to go to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

Anybody do the Stage 2 testing? What did ye think of it?

I was surprised by the Case Study, thought it was of a higher standard than I was expecting. Also thought that they could have given more info beforehand as to what to expect in the case study. I was happy enough with how it went all they same.

Same as was surprised by the case study. I think they just want to see how you approach it more so than anything. As a graduate I was shocked by the number of people there that were fully qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Meath82

I have to agree it would have been good if they gave a little more information beforehand, it looks like a lot of the candidates are already qualified accountants etc I was a little surprised at the age profile. I am not sure i would have bothered if I knew a little more. It seems like they may be looking for more experienced people than trainees. It was very hard to find information on previous sittings.

Advertisement