Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIÉ looking for Planning permission for redevelopment of Kent station, Cork

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I'm wondering how do these work with people going on railtours.

Do groups like IRRS/RPSI provide IE style tickets which let you go through the barriers or must you try get somebody to let you through.

I'll find out in July anyway on the IRRS Railtour to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

C4Kid wrote: »

Do groups like IRRS/RPSI provide IE style tickets which let you go through the barriers or must you try get somebody to let you through.

Well considering all the posters in stations showing "no ticket no travel" I'd assume that every passenger must have a valid ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

C4Kid wrote: »

There is normally somebody from the RPSI at the barrier to allow persons with valid tickets for that train through.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,274 ✭✭✭✭Victor

deRanged wrote: »
    this is opposite the other entrance by the tunnel end of platform 4, presumably to allow for a swift exit from the station.
    Fire exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The new ticket barriers will be going in a slanted line just past the TMV's to allow a queuing system at the ticket office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

not what I expected at all:
    8899434928_7603293faa.jpg
    Untitled by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

8899438606_a350e9192c.jpg
    Untitled by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

looks like a grand bottleneck. Should mean a large increase in revenue from Cobh/Midleton though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It's Ireland always catching up on the rest of the world..

I think you're confusing local authorities with 'Ireland'

Those barriers look a bit excessively complicated as a layout. Shame they kind of spoil the look of the concourse a bit by cluttering it up.

In addition to the new entrance by CIÉ/IÉ, it seems the council are proposing alterations to the Lower Glanmire Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

8971078038_7789f1156a_o.jpg

8971078010_8120c4cfbd_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

What is that carbuncle between the train shed and the goods store?

Looks like something that fell off a passing aircraft.

• Advertisement

The proposed entrance building.

The Council have granted permission for the new entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the ticket barriers are now live:
    9774608385_c22f8ce85b.jpg
    exit barriers now operational by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

It looks like they're still testing the system.
    When I went through this evening they had two active to go to the platforms, and the others active to exit. The guy on duty didn't realise my smart card would work, so opened a gate specially for me :) I asked about the smart card and we tried it out, sure enough it works. Let's see how it goes in the morning with a bit of a crowd around.

Update: work has started in Kent in the past few weeks on the new south entrance however IR have fairly drastically changed the original plans from my post above to a much more slimmed down (presumably cheaper) option.

Originally the plan called for a 3,500 sqft mini concourse complete with lift, escalator, stairs, waiting area, TVMs, retail outlet and ticket barriers. The revised planning is for 2 small buildings totalling just 500 sqft with stairs, a lift and a single TVM.....and that's it. No ticket barriers. Instead the interior of the main station is going to be realigned.

There will be new ticket barriers at the top of the ramp on platform 5. And the ramp on platform 4, which is currently only accessible by going through the ticket barriers in the main concourse with a valid ticket, will now be outside the ticketing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Proper work on the new entrance looks set to begin in the next week or two. Right now a compound being built just south of the station. Piling work was done over the winter to prepare the site, but the site's been idle since.

Here's a report from the Evening Echo with a few nice photographs...
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/work-on-new-look-kent-station-to-begin-in-july/

In other Kent Station news, the points for the turnout leading to the 'runaround' are to be replaced. There's a set of tracks and sleepers assembled off to the side, waiting to go in some night soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I think this refers to the collapse of a platform canopy in last year's tornado. As there were two island platforms on the Cobh / Midleton facing side of the station, I suspect that IR would be happy to lose one.

Advertisement