Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CIÉ looking for Planning permission for redevelopment of Kent station, Cork

Options
  • 26-04-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this during the week on the front of the station but its up on the city council website now with a decision due by the 16th of June.
    A new entrance building 310m2 with dual entrance and vertical access to a subsurface link 100m2 connected to the southern end of stations existing under pass. The entrance building will incorporate customer information systems, public address, ticket vending,seating, commercial advertising, provision for potential future retail vending. New bi-directional road linking Railway Street/Alfred Street and Horgans Quay serving the new entrance building which will include partial demolition of existing protected perimeter stone wall to form junction with Horgans Quay. New road will incorporate traffic lights, traffic calming features, pavements, bus stops with shelders, cycle parking with shelders. Street lighting,bollards,storm water drainage and perimeter railings. Carpark with 140 spaces with 'Pay & Display' and set-down area accessed from Horgans Quay. Repairs to the rear (Horgans Quay)side of station include demolition of the existing boiler room, removal of existing metal chimneys and redundant cables. Repairs to brickwork and repointing where necessary. Repairs to the Goods Depot's eastern and northern facade include removal of vegetation, removal of single storey outbuildings, removal of loading platforms, hacking of loose plaster and making good where necessary. Kent Station and the Goods Depot are protected structures.
    Development Address: Iarnrod Eireann, Kent Station, Lower Glanmire Road, Cork City

http://planning.corkcity.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=1335599

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dowlingm

offtopic since no drawings posted yet but can someone explain to me why Irish planning authorities use Djvu rather than PDF? Very annoying having to install this crap to look at application drawings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hardly redevelopment surely....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dowlingm wrote: »
    offtopic since no drawings posted yet but can someone explain to me why Irish planning authorities use Djvu rather than PDF? Very annoying having to install this crap to look at application drawings.

It's Ireland always catching up on the rest of the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

dowlingm wrote: »
    It's a Baldric type cunning plan to prevent you from reading the drawings so as to prevent you from objecting.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I see the old railings have been taken down around the subway. Hope they'll put them back rather than installing awful modern tubular steel crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I suppose it would be out of the question to **** the comfy office for staff "Travel Centre" out of its present location and reinstate the Glanmire Buffet?

I suppose it would be out of the question to **** the comfy office for staff "Travel Centre" out of its present location and reinstate the Glanmire Buffet?

Was that even paying its way when it was open as a buffet/bar?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see the old railings have been taken down around the subway. Hope they'll put them back rather than installing awful modern tubular steel crap.

On one side only though. Looking at old photos its nice that the station had retrained those railings.

They're stacked neatly in the yard last time I looked, maybe they're only shoring up the subway with concrete and putting them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't know but it was certainly very popular and should have been put to tender if CIE couldn't operate it. The 'travel centre' is a useless waste of space but no more than the people of Cork deserve if they don't kick-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are they going to sort out the collapsing platforms while they tart the place up unnecessarily?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

they will probably further simplify the yard seeing as they have no need for that now....

Definitely once a year (Good Friday!) :D

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are they going to sort out the collapsing platforms while they tart the place up unnecessarily?

What platforms are collapsing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

whats this subway you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

had somting completley different in mind:pac: didnt even know there was one and im 5 minutes walk from there :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

he's spoofing you...afaik the subway is from the down platform to the up platform

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What platforms are collapsing ?

Back in March 2011 there was a partial collapse of two platforms in Kent station. Some emergency remedial work was carried out at the time.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Back in March 2011 there was a partial collapse of two platforms in Kent station. Some emergency remedial work was carried out at the time.

The main through platforms ? Or is it the bay ones ?

• Advertisement

The main through platforms ? Or is it the bay ones ?
    The main platforms afaik, passengers were changed onto shorter trains at mallow and brought in to the shorter platform while work was carried out to repair one platform asap so that the mk4s could be catered for.

When i saw this thread title i just assumed it would include any further work on platforms that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

this might clarify things a bit :)

8696837260_97c51c4972_z.jpg
    20130430_155548 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

8695720491_b68e09f171_z.jpg
    20130430_155522 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

the railing are all outside - I don't know if they are refurbing or replacing them.
    8696845972_6b2562b546_z.jpg
    20130430_155404 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

they're also working on the bridge by the tunnel.
    8696855744_2b5f34dbf1_z.jpg
    20130430_155342 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I don't know but it was certainly very popular and should have been put to tender if CIE couldn't operate it. The 'travel centre' is a useless waste of space but no more than the people of Cork deserve if they don't kick-up.

Great spot! A few pints, bit of nosebag and away you went. Cracking pints of Fosters when first introduced in the early 90s. Airports are like entertainment centres, but Irish rail terminal stations are like vending machines with staff!

That's the sort of work (fixing the platforms) that should be happening the same time as the Monard Viaduct work.

bitburger wrote: »
    had somting completley different in mind:pac: didnt even know there was one and im 5 minutes walk from there :eek:

Couldn't resist. :pac:

It had double ramps originally, the one running close by the old platform cabin and the one on opp side nearest the tunnel were blocked up....but if you look in the chink through the steel door at the bottom of the subway ramp that's there presently you can catch a glimpse of the ceramic wall tiles on a blocked off stub, now used as storage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Railway_station_in_Cork_NLI.jpg

new railings going up in Kent.

8704331746_49924eeb0d_z.jpg
    Untitled by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

8703212463_04c8d1a5c4_z.jpg

deRanged wrote: »
    new railings going up in Kent.

8704331746_49924eeb0d_z.jpg

8703212463_04c8d1a5c4_z.jpg

Any idea what they are for ? They have a barrier all along the platform already.

Any idea what they are for ? They have a barrier all along the platform already.

I'm wondering if they're making a queue system like they have in Heuston. Or maybe they're just replacing the old barrier.

deRanged wrote: »
    I'm wondering if they're making a queue system like they have in Heuston. Or maybe they're just replacing the old barrier.

Ah ya that's a good shout about a queue system.id hate to see the old barrier go but the gates aren't locked in that barrier so maybe it's making it harder to get to the platform edge. Did you see that whiteboard that says "it's ___ number of days since our last accident." In the station. On the 22nd of April it said 22 days. That's weird to me and also id have thought it should be longer than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Images for the new design on todays Irish Examiner, I can't find a link to post though.

Advertisement