Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2014?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭diverboy83

The building is stunning alright - they really made a great job of it and the residences are fantastic too. If I could have transplanted UL up to Dublin, it would have been my first choice! You'll enjoy the open day - the staff down there are first rate and extremely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

UL would be my first choice (especially considering the UB loan and that they offer a scholarship) if it weren't for the PBL aspect. I'm a worrier, I worry all the time about things and problems that could happen, and the big problem with PBL is, for me, that you could just miss something by accident. It's great that they don't spoon-feed you knowledge, but the possibility that you could work your ass off and still end up going in the wrong direction just terrifies me. PBL isn't for everyone, and it certainly isn't for me. And the lack of cadavers also throws me off a little, because I think I might end up going into pathology (or at least try to get a closer look at it, maybe organize an elective). I would probably be willing to overlook it, but combined with PBL it just makes me put UL at the end of my list. A shame, really, because everything else seems to speak for the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BobbyOLGrinds

UL would be my first choice (especially considering the UB loan and that they offer a scholarship) if it weren't for the PBL aspect. I'm a worrier, I worry all the time about things and problems that could happen, and the big problem with PBL is, for me, that you could just miss something by accident.

I wouldn't write off UL over this. What do you mean by "miss something by accident"? When you're studying you're going to miss a lot of things. Believe me, you'll miss things every single day.

We did a bit of PBL in UCD, to be honest I hated it. I felt the pace to be too slow and we didn't really get to go through many cases. All that being said, I don't know if I was at a level to appreciate that kind of learning. I find that I'm more suited to PBL now than I was as a student.

PBL is a different way of approaching medical training alright. It seems to work for UL by and large though, I met some howlers over the years as well as people who knew everything. UCD is the same, as are RCSI and Cork.
    It's great that they don't spoon-feed you knowledge, but the possibility that you could work your ass off and still end up going in the wrong direction just terrifies me.

As you said yourself, you're a worrier. I wouldn't be stressing out over going in the wrong direction, a good grasp of the basics is far more important than any of the fancy stuff. Horses for courses and all that, but of all the negative points of PBL, this is one I wouldn't worry about.
    PBL isn't for everyone, and it certainly isn't for me.

You can't tell that now. Maybe it isn't, then again maybe it is. I wouldn't write it off just because it's different to 'regular' methods.
    And the lack of cadavers also throws me off a little, because I think I might end up going into pathology (or at least try to get a closer look at it, maybe organize an elective).

I have mixed feelings about cadavers. Maybe it was the mix of being hungover half the time, and not having studied the other half, but I never really got much from the anatomy lab. Nothing I couldn't gain with watching Acland's or reading Moore's. Surface anatomy is much more important day to day than the course of the thoracic duct.

As for your interest in pathology, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever if you went to UCD or RCSI over UL. Access to the anatomy lab is fairly limited and will have very little in common with hospital pathology. Ring the lab in Limerick General and ask can you come in to see the place or do an elective. They'll probably organise a taxi to pick you up they'll be that happy to have you. There's very little interest in the subject by most medical students so they'll be happy to have you, cadavers or not.

In general, electives are related to who you know and how well you get on with them. I did two electives, plastic surgery and ob/gyn. I got the plastics one by getting on well with the SpR and asking her could I do one. I wrote an email to the Prof of obs in Holles Street for the other one. Admittedly being from UCD helped the ob/gyn one, as I had done my training there but still. Cadavers don't play a big role.
    I would probably be willing to overlook it, but combined with PBL it just makes me put UL at the end of my list. A shame, really, because everything else seems to speak for the school.

I didn't pick UL either, so don't take what I've said as a recruitment drive or anything. I'm just suggesting that you may be worrying a little too much over the small stuff, you probably know that yourself anyway though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Agnieszka_88

It all makes sense what you're saying, and of course rationally you are right, but in the end you have to pick one school which you would like to put in the first place on the CAO list and, as all four seem good, it's the little things that everyone bases their decision on. I did have a trial run with PBL during university and I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either (ended up going in the wrong direction after all :)), so I'd rather not have to repeat that particular experience. And as for cadavers, I simply want them, there is nothing logical about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BobbyOLGrinds

And if you're going to spend four years in a place, it had better fit your needs, be they logical or otherwise :)

Best of luck with it, I'm sure that whichever school you get into, you'll have a great time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭okdune

pc11 wrote: »
    Well, it's either impressive or else GAMSAT isn't all that bad. I have a science background but I work in communications and have experience of writing and editing, so yes GAMSAT should suit me. That said, I didn't expect a score like that, I was shocked in fact.

I posted a couple of essays to the pagingdr.net website and got some feedback. To me the point is more about getting comfortable writing to be read and judged, and getting over any fear of that. If you have done lots of that already, you're probably set, but for many science people that's a novelty. I practised writing a few essays in 25 minutes, but I really only wrote 10 or 12 I think. If you know you are inexperienced at essays, get help.

I believe that good grammar, spelling and structure in the essays count for a lot more than people think. Don't get hung up on having a brilliant idea or being super-original, it's more about having a point and expressing it coherently with good English, with a logical structure. Even though I was a scientist for 9 years, I actually scored much higher in the language sections ( > 70).

I sometimes want to scream at some of the posters here to learn some basic English. I don't know they will pass GAMSAT or make a good doctor if they can't form a coherent sentence, spell words or re-read their post.

Medicine is strongly about communication as well as science. Strive for this balance. Work on your weakness.

Here is some more I wrote on my experience:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81926483&postcount=65

I've considered offering my services as an essay reader; I have good experience of editing, but I'm not a professional proofreader so I don't want to over-promise people.

Would you mind if I took you up on that over the coming weeks? Just perhaps one or two to see where I stand, in your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

okdune wrote: »
    Would you mind if I took you up on that over the coming weeks? Just perhaps one or two to see where I stand, in your view?

I'll try to help, let's move that to PM.

You asked about the big science topics on the other thread. To be honest, it's been a year, so I'd have to look back over notes to make a proper list and I can't do that now. If you have the sample exams, it's pretty apparent from those. Some quick Googling will throw up suggested topics very quickly as will reading all the threads here. I started with the sample papers and worked from there.

Some lists I found online:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GAMSAT_Guide/Science/Chemistry

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GAMSAT_Guide/Science/Physics

What is your background? Where do you stand right now with the various sections? Where are you strong and weak? See where you are at now, then figure out where to go.

S3 is as much about reasoning as about explicit knowledge, so you must do the sample papers to see what questions are like. That said, you will need to do some Organic Chemistry, try Organic Chemistry for Dummies, that's the only book I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

I'm sitting the exam next month also, again coming from a non-science background. I would strongly recommend Organic Chemistry as a Second Language, which is easy to source online. There seems to be more than enough in that to cover the level of Organic Chemistry required for GAMSAT and it really brings you through from an absolute zero base. You will need some chemistry too. I used ExamKrackers MCAT Chemistry for this. For biology, with 4 weeks and 1 day to go (eeek!), I wouldn't waste any time doing background study for biology and focus instead on doing sample questions/papers. Others might disagree with this. I haven't found any physics material that I've found satisfactory and instead have dipped in an out of Examkrackers and Khan Academy, mainly. Physics seems to be all about learning basic equations and then practice, practice, practice.

Get a Leaving Cert Physics book (with the workbook). That will sort you out but really past exam papers, under exam conditions, are the only way. It's not about knowledge, it's about reasoning.

Good luck!

pc11 wrote: »
    I'll try to help, let's move that to PM.

You asked about the big science topics on the other thread. To be honest, it's been a year, so I'd have to look back over notes to make a proper list and I can't do that now. If you have the sample exams, it's pretty apparent from those. Some quick Googling will throw up suggested topics very quickly as will reading all the threads here. I started with the sample papers and worked from there.

Some lists I found online:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GAMSAT_Guide/Science/Chemistry

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GAMSAT_Guide/Science/Physics

What is your background? Where do you stand right now with the various sections? Where are you strong and weak? See where you are at now, then figure out where to go.

S3 is as much about reasoning as about explicit knowledge, so you must do the sample papers to see what questions are like. That said, you will need to do some Organic Chemistry, try Organic Chemistry for Dummies, that's the only book I bought.

Wow, thank you very much for your reply. My background is accounting, finance and economics. My science is only to a JC and LC standard, however I know I can manage this by next March.

I have booked myself in for the UK Gamsat next month, as a practice. I put the decision off for rather a while because it could be seen as an unnecessary cost, however everyone said to do it. In fact one or two people I spoke said that you could score v well in SI and SIII.

As such, this is why I ask about the key topics in SIII. I think I could score well in SI and SIII and if I can cover te key areas in advance, coupled with what I hear as slightly easier marking in the UK, well wouldn't it just be wonderful if I could make the mark next month.

Unlikely, but no point ruling it out.

If I could just cover off about ten areas in science (for now and of course the rest in advance of the IRE Gamsat), say:

[NOT A SUGGESTED LIST AT ALL - only my last minute list for UK - I do not recommend this]

Physics
    • Vectors / Kinematics
    • Electric / Magentic fields
    • Lenses
    Chemistry
    • Atoms, bonding, structures
    • Acids & bases
    • Gibbs Free Energy
    • Rates & equilibria
    Biology

• Advertisement

If I could just cover off about ten areas in science (for now and of course the rest in advance of the IRE Gamsat), say:

[NOT A SUGGESTED LIST AT ALL - only my last minute list for UK - I do not recommend this]

Physics
    • Vectors / Kinematics
    • Electric / Magentic fields
    • Lenses
    Chemistry
    • Atoms, bonding, structures
    • Acids & bases
    • Gibbs Free Energy
    • Rates & equilibria
    Biology

Interesting study methodology and maybe not a bad idea either. I suggested in my earlier post if you were eliminating to start with all of biology and I'm going to suggest it again. From the advise I've read on this and similar threads and my from own study to date, very little background knowledge is actually required for GAMSAT.

The chem section is 40% of the test and this can vary year to year from different proportions of organic and general chemistry. Therefore, you could get a very heavy org paper and need to move some of it on to you study list (over the biology anyway). Being able to identify the main functional groups and also basic nomenclature would be a huge basic asset in organic chemistry.

letsdothis wrote: »
    if you were eliminating to start with all of biology and I'm going to suggest it again.

Just to check what you mean here - do you mean put Biology at the bottom of the priority list?

The chem section is 40% of the test and this can vary year to year from different proportions of organic and general chemistry. Therefore, you could get a very heavy org paper and need to move some of it on to you study list (over the biology anyway). Being able to identify the main functional groups and also basic nomenclature would be a huge basic asset in organic chemistry.[/QUOTE]

And yes, sorry quite right, I left out Org Chem totally by accident there. In fact if I can cover the above list at a high enough level and delve into Org Chemistry - I could be enough to get me by!?

When people talk about logic and formula's - well, I am very comfortable with formula's etc in general - however I'm not when in the conext of science theories I am not fimiliar with.

As a checklist, because doign sample papers is so stressed - could you point me towards some. So far, I have various sample questions in all the relevant study book materials, however Gamsat style samples, well you mention ExamKrackers and of course the ACER samples.

What other sample papers should I get my hands on - and even those for SI and SII - I have scoured the net for as much as I can.

Thank you all so much for your help. I work FT and finding it realy hard to zone in.

Just to check what you mean here - do you mean put Biology at the bottom of the priority list?

The chem section is 40% of the test and this can vary year to year from different proportions of organic and general chemistry. Therefore, you could get a very heavy org paper and need to move some of it on to you study list (over the biology anyway). Being able to identify the main functional groups and also basic nomenclature would be a huge basic asset in organic chemistry.

And yes, sorry quite right, I left out Org Chem totally by accident there. In fact if I can cover the above list at a high enough level and delve into Org Chemistry - I could be enough to get me by!?

When people talk about logic and formula's - well, I am very comfortable with formula's etc in general - however I'm not when in the conext of science theories I am not fimiliar with.

As a checklist, because doign sample papers is so stressed - could you point me towards some. So far, I have various sample questions in all the relevant study book materials, however Gamsat style samples, well you mention ExamKrackers and of course the ACER samples.

What other sample papers should I get my hands on - and even those for SI and SII - I have scoured the net for as much as I can.

Thank you all so much for your help. I work FT and finding it realy hard to zone in.[/quote]

Yes, I think if you're really talking about drilling down to the essentials, if it's a toss between spending time on biology or more of anything else (including sec 1 and 2), biology loses every time. In fact, from my own study, I've found that my lack of biology knowledge has no impact on my answering of the questions. The only really prep I can see worthwhile for biology is experience in answering the types of questions that come up (such as diagrams, figures and graphs). Again, experienced GAMSAT'ers might feel differently (but I don't suspect so)

There's an awful lot to do in organic chemistry but my feeling is that you could get by on a good knowledge of: nomenclature, knowledge of functional groups, stereochemistry.

I'm pretty bad at physics stuff but trial and error with questions and answers has helped me to improve somewhat.

What are you doing for section one and two?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Across in the States at the mo so I'll have to make the trip down to DC in March to do it.

Didn't realize about all the Bio/Chem study involved in the GAMSAT, I'm doing the UKCAT in a week and its just an aptitude test more or less, much more akin to the HPAT. You can also repeat it as many times as you'd like; which I find a bit mad!

How's everyone else getting on prepping for the 18th?? Or is anyone else on here doing it? I'm still struggling to do any essay work and know this needs to be my priority for the next couple of weeks. I've covered all the science but need to do some memorising of stuff that just hasn't seeped in from reading/doing questions. I'm happy enough with section one and am coming out with fairly decent scores on the ACER samples and other sample papers I've done. Need to do more sample papers but the pressure is on with work at the moment so finding it harder to make time. This time three weeks I'll be sweating over section 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I am getting a fair bit of work done but not sure if it is helping.

I'm writing every other day and have improved a lot. Getting two done in the hour should be fine, but I'm not a writer so I don't think I'll end up with anything decent.

Practicing for section 1 with mcat 101 and ozimed, seems to be going ok.

Studying for organic chemistry and I am understanding it, but it isn't helping so far for the ozimed practice papers.

Really wish there was more official material, and I need some direction for the science!

What practice papers do you have? What are you doing for the science?

just-joe wrote: »
    I am getting a fair bit of work done but not sure if it is helping.

I'm writing every other day and have improved a lot. Getting two done in the hour should be fine, but I'm not a writer so I don't think I'll end up with anything decent.

Practicing for section 1 with mcat 101 and ozimed, seems to be going ok.

Studying for organic chemistry and I am understanding it, but it isn't helping so far for the ozimed practice papers.

Really wish there was more official material, and I need some direction for the science!

What practice papers do you have? What are you doing for the science?

Yeah, the lack of official material isn't great. That's probably the point though! I also used the mcat 101 for section one. My scores for section one have improved but I think I've done as much for it as I can now and my scores have plateaued. I'm planning on doing the full ACER papers the weekends of the 7th and 14th and don't think I'll do much more section one than that.

Did you use the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language? Can't recommend that enough. Plus the Dummies book and workbook are good too. Where do you feel you are going wrong with the science? I feel a good knowledge of functional groups, nomenclature and stereochemistry gets you through most of the organic chemistry. Having said that, I've plenty more to go personally to get up to standard in the science paper!

I was doing KAPLAN MCAT sample papers, which require far more background knowledge in Science but are helpful nonetheless for timing. I've more than enough ozimed and ACER papers left to do now, so I've left the MCAT stuff aside. The Ozimed papers also seem to require more science knowledge than ACER. The ACER Section III questions are definitely more complex than Ozimed. I comfortably did Ozimed Section III in the time allocated but ran out of time with the ACER sample questions.

What I'm doing for science at this stage is doing papers then slowly going back over the questions afterwards and re-doing topics as needed. Etymon on here had a great tip on her blog of keeping a notebook of information based on where she went wrong on sample questions and I've been doing that too. As I said earlier, I'm trying to learn some stuff off too - like the formulae for constant acceleration, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with the sciences, but probably I need to do more organic chemistry practice questions. I have the dummies OC book but not the workbook. It's good and I can understand things but a lot of the time it doesn't seem to translate to answering the questions well. Having said that, I haven't finished it yet so that is a big priority. I am also keeping a notebook of things that are coming up, and it is very handy.

Have the couple of tests left to do a full practice.

I have been using gradmed notes for physics and biology, but reading about biology seems fairly pointless, as the information is usually given to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zeitsif

just-joe wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I'm going wrong with the sciences, but probably I need to do more organic chemistry practice questions. I have the dummies OC book but not the workbook. It's good and I can understand things but a lot of the time it doesn't seem to translate to answering the questions well.....QUOTE]

I found the Gradmed organic chemistry notes very good. First I used the dummies book to get an understanding and then moved on to the Gradmed notes. Would be hard to use Gradmed notes I feel without having studied organic chemistry first or have some idea anyway.

Gradmed presents it in a way similar to exam. It's early days yet though and I wouldn't be too concerned if I was struggling with questions. Try and get the sample Gradmed questions too

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

I have a friend who just finished in UCD and he keeps talking about the GAMSAT Guru method? Anyone used this or heard any reviews, good or bad?

Best of luck in a couple of weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 scns2010

Hi guys,

Best of luck next month, the time flys by. I was in you position last year and I'm starting in UCD on the 9th!

One of the websites I found most useful was paging dr, I don't know has it been mentioned but it certainly deserves a second mention even if it has. It's Australian and those guys have this exam down to a fine art. They have brilliant advice on essay writing and loads of sample essays people have put up for critique. They also do debriefs every year on the paper and so have lists of commonly occurring topics. It's one if the best resources out there and it's free.

Also, there was a set of videos on you tube which went through the solution of section 3 of 1/2 of the sample papers. It was really really helpful. I think it was by the gold standard people....link was on paging dr.

Best of luck and most importantly keep your head and stay calm during the exam, it's very achievable but you need to be relaxed going in. Timing is exceptionally important also and not to be forgotten. So many people don't get s3 finished so answering all the q's is a great start!

Good Luck!

Anybody interested in UL 2014 entry, the date for the open day has been set http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/929217742.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

scns2010 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Best of luck next month, the time flys by. I was in you position last year and I'm starting in UCD on the 9th!

One of the websites I found most useful was paging dr, I don't know has it been mentioned but it certainly deserves a second mention even if it has. It's Australian and those guys have this exam down to a fine art. They have brilliant advice on essay writing and loads of sample essays people have put up for critique. They also do debriefs every year on the paper and so have lists of commonly occurring topics. It's one if the best resources out there and it's free.

Also, there was a set of videos on you tube which went through the solution of section 3 of 1/2 of the sample papers. It was really really helpful. I think it was by the gold standard people....link was on paging dr.

Best of luck and most importantly keep your head and stay calm during the exam, it's very achievable but you need to be relaxed going in. Timing is exceptionally important also and not to be forgotten. So many people don't get s3 finished so answering all the q's is a great start!

Good Luck!

Is this like a forum website? Only got a few minutes to look around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey I've been keeping up to date with any useful information regarding GAMSAT on this forum and what I've found is that a lot of people come from non-science backgrounds and their advice regarding Section 3 preparation is extremely helpful but so far I'm struggling to source advice for Section 1 and 2 preparation. I come from a strong science background but I know I have a lot review prior to the exam but I find the prep for the first two sections is more vague, is their anyone out their who sat GAMSAT successfully coming from a science background who can give me a brief guide to studying for sections 1 and 2? I would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

lawlesp4 wrote: »
    Hey I've been keeping up to date with any useful information regarding GAMSAT on this forum and what I've found is that a lot of people come from non-science backgrounds and their advice regarding Section 3 preparation is extremely helpful but so far I'm struggling to source advice for Section 1 and 2 preparation. I come from a strong science background but I know I have a lot review prior to the exam but I find the prep for the first two sections is more vague, is their anyone out their who sat GAMSAT successfully coming from a science background who can give me a brief guide to studying for sections 1 and 2? I would really appreciate it.

Did up a whole advice section about this stuff, take a look :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85648445

Final countdown is on for anyone doing this exam. I'm snowed under with work and was more prepared for this exam a month ago. Hoping to find some time to learn some formulae before Wednesday. I have the two ACER practice papers unpracticed. Feels like a bit of a disaster!

letsdothis wrote: »
    Final countdown is on for anyone doing this exam. I'm snowed under with work and was more prepared for this exam a month ago. Hoping to find some time to learn some formulae before Wednesday. I have the two ACER practice papers unpracticed. Feels like a bit of a disaster!

My tuppence - don't waste time learning; they give the formula to you or you can deduce it from the information. Can't emphasise this enough - practice those questions under exam conditions. It is not about remembering, it's about problem solving under pressure. Conditioning yourself is what will get you through the exam. Find three hours in a quiet room, lock the door and just do it. You'll never feel like you have prepared enough but it's about having the confidence and familiarity to go in there and do it anyway.

Ps. Good luck!

diverboy83 wrote: »
    Ps. Good luck!

Thanks! And your advice spurred me on to find time to do the Section 1 and 3 Green sample test so far today, so thanks for that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nifty pineapple914

I've just finished acquiring my study materials. I've got the OC for Dummies 1 & 2, Acer papers, using lots of Khan Academy and Youtube tutorials for Bio and Physics, and the Griffith gamsat sample papers, too.

Anyone Dublin based and wanting to sit the Gamsat 2014 in March up for forming a study group once a fortnight or month somewhere quiet and city-central? We can bring our materials and go through exam questions, problems, and revise generally as a unit?

Advertisement