Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2014?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

Gamsatters,

28 days to go excluding exam day. I'm definitely jumping ahead here, but an overall score of 60 consisting of 60, 80, 50 will be great. Wishful thinking or self limitation. Anyhow, this will be my third and final sitting.

Goodluck all.

Hey TiredLawGrad, just wondering is it possible to score an 80 in section II? I got a 63 or 64 last year can't remember exactly and by the percentile curve that seemed to put in in the top 5th or 6th percentile as far as I remember!? Didn't think it was possible to get over a score in the late 60's, or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

gh1 wrote: »
    Hey TiredLawGrad, just wondering is it possible to score an 80 in section II? I got a 63 or 64 last year can't remember exactly and by the percentile curve that seemed to put in in the top 5th or 6th percentile as far as I remember!? Didn't think it was possible to get over a score in the late 60's, or is it?

It's technically possible to get 100 in each section!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

Do you mind me asking how you got on the previous two times tiredlawgrad?

Really hoping to get late 60s in section 1+2 and then anything in the 50s for sec 3!

Still have 4 weeks of study, doing three fully timed exams on the next three Sundays, timing seems to be the overriding important factor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TiredLawGrad

gh1, I know it's possible to get an 80 in s 2. On the September exam last year, I got a 77, even though I wasn't really happy with my write up especially part B of it. Having said that I gave strong arguments and quotes.

Confused1987, my scores are: Mar 13 - 50, 54, 42 (47). Sep 13 - 57, 77, 44 (56)

I just have to improve on these scores fingers crossed.

Worst come to worst, there is UL, but if UL cut off decide to jump to 57, then .....

Anyone know what the proposed date is for the results of the March sitting is? Going to Vegas in May and if the results are out during the trip it could really make or break it!!!

• Advertisement

Anyone know what the proposed date is for the results of the March sitting is? Going to Vegas in May and if the results are out during the trip it could really make or break it!!!

Well, last year exam was written on 23/03/13, results came out on 20/05/13 which was a Monday. So let's say the results for this coming exams will be on Monday, 19th May 2014.

ACER will say "late May". As above, it's approx 2 months from the date of the exam. It was 8 weeks and 6 days after last September's exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gh1

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to improve on section I? I have completed all past papers, am just coming to the end of ExamKrackers 101 passages in MCAT, as well as reading editorials/books etc. Is there any other material out there worth purchasing (Ozimed etc.)? Cheers

One piece of advice I will offer is not to buy the Ozimed papers!! The section 1 is simply a much lower standard than the Acer papers or MCAT. I bought them a couple of months ago and was chuffed with myself as I was regularly scoring 90% and above but then when I moved to the MCAT papers this was a complete shock and eye opener!

Even section 3 in Ozimed is unrealistic, but in the opposite sense to the above. They assume you know every formula, molecular weight etc etc in the entire science course, and offer no information or formulas for the questions. I know some will argue that this is a good thing, but I just find it frustrating and time consuming.

Overall I find section 1 leads me into a false sense of security and then section 3 completely disheartens me!!

That's just my advice!!

It mightn't be significant but a section consisting of 3 questions 'found in xtremepapers', appeared in the 3rd part of the last Ireland exam. Hopefully I am vague enough so as not to have broken any rules.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 gamsat

Hi,

Need help urgently!

I am to sit the GAMTSAT this month. I'm not really from a science background. Studied Biology and Chemistry in school but that was a while back. I sat the HPAT today and dont think I did so well. Haven't been in an exam environment in ages so felt at a disadvantage compared to some of the younger candidates. I am applying through the Mature Entry path and also as a Graduate student. I work full time and dont have a lot of time to study but I know medicine is something I want to pursue. Being older it would be great to get accepted into the 4 year programm. I know I should have started studying earlier, best plans and all that .... not easy when you are working ....

I know I have little time until the exam but can someone advise how best I can prepare to maxmise my chances of doing well. I don't have much time and cant study everything. I have the GAMSAT sample test papers. Don't know what texts to use etc.

Your help will be much appreciated ..... please reply urgently ......

Many Thanks

Zahra

gamsat wrote: »
    Hi,

Need help urgently!

I am to sit the GAMTSAT this month. I'm not really from a science background. Studied Biology and Chemistry in school but that was a while back. I sat the HPAT today and dont think I did so well. Haven't been in an exam environment in ages so felt at a disadvantage compared to some of the younger candidates. I am applying through the Mature Entry path and also as a Graduate student. I work full time and dont have a lot of time to study but I know medicine is something I want to pursue. Being older it would be great to get accepted into the 4 year programm. I know I should have started studying earlier, best plans and all that .... not easy when you are working ....

I know I have little time until the exam but can someone advise how best I can prepare to maxmise my chances of doing well. I don't have much time and cant study everything. I have the GAMSAT sample test papers. Don't know what texts to use etc.

Your help will be much appreciated ..... please reply urgently ......

Many Thanks

Zahra

Hello there,

Time is of the essence, so it will be great to make the best use of it. Practise the ACER papers under timed condition. There is only so much you can study at this time, so stick with the ACER papers as much as you can. No one section should be underestimated. The exam TIMING is crucial; on that point, for sections 1 and 3, remember to pick an answer and move on. From today write two essays for an hour everyday. Because of TIME, the GAMSAT essay is not your normal essay. Read lots of books and watch the news. The GAMSAT you might find makes more sense than the HPAT, at least that's what I think.

Goodluck :)

Hi ... thanks a lot for replying. I'm panicking and just dont know where to start or what to focus on. It was a last minute decision to apply for medicine and didn't realise how much was involved for HPAT & GAMSAT. This is my first sitting. Based on the threads I have read, don't fancy my chances ... seems tough ... and due to lack of practice, way off on my timings ... realised it yeterday when I sat the HPAT ... think nerves got to me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 optimist90

gamsat wrote: »
    Hi ... thanks a lot for replying. I'm panicking and just dont know where to start or what to focus on. It was a last minute decision to apply for medicine and didn't realise how much was involved for HPAT & GAMSAT. This is my first sitting. Based on the threads I have read, don't fancy my chances ... seems tough ... and due to lack of practice, way off on my timings ... realised it yeterday when I sat the HPAT ... think nerves got to me ....

Hey there,
    I sat the gamsat for the first time in the UK in September 2013, I was in a very similar position to yourself, working full time, decided about 6 weeks before the exam that I was gonna give it a shot, not really realising what was involved.

I got an overall score of 54, not brilliant but tbh I was thrilled for my first attempt, I have no science background so that was obviously my downfall, I got 58 in S1, 77 in S2 and 42 in S3. I was disappointed with my S1 score, thought I would have done far better, pleased with my S2 score and satisfied with my S3 score, but obviously I am sitting it again on the 22nd March.

I would strongly advise you to go through the exam papers and pluck out the main topics, for physics I did the very basics, the mole concept, lenses, basic electricity, you're strapped for time now so don't kill yourself trying to master really difficult topics.
    For bio, go on youtube and look up video tutorials for all the systems, the cardiovascular, digestive, nervous and endocrine, musculoskeletal, immune etc. There are also great videos for genetics and protein synthesis, DNA and RNA. For me, and many others, bio is the easiest and most interesting so if you are like me, you will probably plough through these quickly enough.
    For organic chemistry, I got the Organic Chemistry for Dummies book and it is my bible! Simplifies everything.

Read, read and then read some more for s2. The New York Times is a good one and stay on top of current affairs as was already mentioned by another user :) Again ted talks and the likes are great inspiration.

I know it was a quick decision to sit the gamsat, I was the same, but you have nothing to lose by giving it your best shot, you never know, you could be really lucky!
    PM me if you like and best of luck!

I don't know about luck. Not a lucky person nor super intelligent. Even during school and college, hard to work hard. The HPAT yesterday unnerved me. Had a bit of a panic attack when I got home and saw my chances slipping away. When you are 18, another year doesn't matter but when you are older, loosing a year is a big deal, especially in medicine.

I am good at writing so I have been told but perhaps not in a essay structured fashion so will look for examples and try to produce in the style GAMSAT want. Could you point me to any particular reference material for this, like past essays etc?

I will start reading some of the classics, the NY Times etc ....

For the Science, I am going to focus on Biology and Chemistry ... I did both at school and Biology was my strongest. Physics is interesting but at this late stage, going to be realistic and focus only on the latter two and hope I can manage the questions.

Will pick up the Organic Chemistry for Dummies at the bookstore tmro.

Presently going through the sample GAMSAT papers.

Many Thanks for the pointers and I hope you wont mind me messaging you again.

You did very well for the 1st time for a non science person and hope you pass with flying colours this year. Its a huge amount of effort. Good luck!

Has anyone attended one of the UCD Visiting Medicine programmes? I'm registered but wondering if it's more geared towards direct entry than graduate.... slightly fearing being surrounded by pre-leaving certs and being put off UCD altogether! IS it worth going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Interesting to note that there has been a 6% drop in total medicine applicants through the CAO. Do ye think the cutoff for places will drop much again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

Less than 2 weeks left - cant wait for it to be over !

Interesting to note that there has been a 6% drop in total medicine applicants through the CAO. Do ye think the cutoff for places will drop much again this year?

Haven't seen this reported, where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

letsdothis wrote: »
    Haven't seen this reported, where did you hear that?

Thought I linked this in the other post. HERE are the CAO figures comparing 2014 to 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

The same info on Medicine is here, on a new article on the front page of the UCD website.
    Medicine fell nationally by 6% and by 3% at UCD.

Can't see the GAMSAT cutoff for UCD rising if the demand is down (though of course this includes undergrad-entry). But I can't imagine the cutoff decreasing too much lower than it already has. I'd say the points will stay 56-58 for UCD, more than likely 56-57.

That's good news about the fall in demand, prob won't do anything significant with the reduction of scores but can't imagine them rising with a falling demand!

Sat my first fully timed full paper yesterday, really highlights how on the ball you have to be for section 3, only managed to get 95 of the questions done and then guesswork comes into play!

Sat my first fully timed full paper yesterday, really highlights how on the ball you have to be for section 3, only managed to get 95 of the questions done and then guesswork comes into play!

The first and only time I managed to get anywhere near finished on section three was my GAMSAT itself - don't worry too much about that but do work on your strategy for when you are running out of time. I ended up having to do this for section 1 (again for the first time ever!)

The same info on Medicine is here, on a new article on the front page of the UCD website.

Can't see the GAMSAT cutoff for UCD rising if the demand is down (though of course this includes undergrad-entry). But I can't imagine the cutoff decreasing too much lower than it already has. I'd say the points will stay 56-58 for UCD, more than likely 56-57.

Most of the change in medicine applications seems to be in preference rather than first choice. Can't imagine very many GE applicants would put other level 8 courses higher on their choice list but sure there's no accounting for what people do....

...sounds like cut offs will be pretty much as they were last year.

letsdothis wrote: »
    The first and only time I managed to get anywhere near finished on section three was my GAMSAT itself - don't worry too much about that but do work on your strategy for when you are running out of time. I ended up having to do this for section 1 (again for the first time ever!)

What strategy did you adopt? Skipping to the questions you knew you could get out quickly?

What strategy did you adopt? Skipping to the questions you knew you could get out quickly?

Well towards the last hour, I left a couple of questions on topics that weren't my favourite - but I didn't do a whole lot of this either.

When I was going through the paper, I marked the answer choice on the question booklet but if i wasn't convinced of my choice I put a question mark beside it to remind me to come back to it. When there was only 20 or so minutes left I would go back over the question marks and commit to an answer.

If I was doing a paper and had 5 minutes left and lots to answer, I went with the Griffith's Guide Strategy of all Cs! I did this for 10-15 questions for Section 1 on the day. Didn't need it Section 3, as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

9 days t go gamsatters! Although I am incredibly nervous I am also kinda excited about the big day for some strange reason! But I cant wait until I walk out of the RCSI on Saturday and realize that its over!! (at least for 2 months anyways :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pharmacrunch

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    9 days t go gamsatters! Although I am incredibly nervous I am also kinda excited about the big day for some strange reason! But I cant wait until I walk out of the RCSI on Saturday and realize that its over!! (at least for 2 months anyways :P)

Working for most of next week to today will be my last "real" day of study.

Delighted its finally here :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

Delighted its finally here :D:D

I took the week off to be safe. Im still completely clueless about most of the physics so im going to try and cover as much of it as I can from now until the exam!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

I have been on night duty since Monday night and will finish on Monday morning (7 nights), so I will have Tuesday till Friday to do some proper study. When I began preparing about 8 weeks ago, I said I'd ask myself around this time if I had done enough study. I have posed the question and the answer is 'No'. But I am sure I am not the only one. Anyway, I had the occasion of meeting up with a friend of a friend who is actually preparing for the same exam. We discussed at large on a range of topics in preparation for the written section. This guy had a vast knowledge on various subjects including politics and current affairs, very fluent in conversation and well opinionated. But when it came to reading an essay he had written, I found it indecipherable. His writing was in marked contrast with his speaking; when asked what I thought, I replied that he has a 'distinct handwriting'. People hardly write nowadays and most words are typed; whatever typing skills gained has resulted in poor handwriting. I am not even going to talk about poor spelling, total disregard for punctuation marks, illogical admixture of small and capital letters etc. How can the examiners correct essays that are hardly legible? Those people at ACER might not be aware of Bacon's dictum that conference makes a ready man, writing an exact man - for one could say that our friend here is ready without being exact - but they are conscious of the fact that as potential medical practitioners, others should be able to read and understand our writing especially when in a medical chart or drug kardex. What hope do people with terrible writing have for getting a good score in the written section? Or are they expected to depend only on their shading skills for sections 1 & 3? Suffice to say that some will be going into the exam having not practiced shading in timed conditions.

Advertisement