Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling refs McAllister and Wadding axed from inter-county panel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Martin567 wrote: »
    It most certainly was not an accident and you're in a tiny minority if you think it was. He couldn't have known he would shatter Michael Rice's finger but he went in as if swinging a slashers at full force without any regard for what he might hit. He was out of control on the day and committed enough offences to receive three red cards if an even half competent ref had been on duty.

I presume your failure to answer my earlier question is because you're still searching Google in a forlorn attempt to find even one example of an opposition player suffering a bad injury as a result of Kilkenny's 10 years of butchering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOzOdPGBz-0

I'm not going to accuse Kilkenny of being a dirty team, painting to many players with the one brush. But viewing the incident above, and taking into account stuff like Richie Hogan's strike against Limerick last year, these kind of incidents could easily put a player out of action for a long time, especially the one on Donnellan.

Tommy does very little to distance himself from his reputation. Of the flashes of footage they had from the Corbett and Walsh show in last year's all ireland semi, the only swing I saw from either was from Walsh.

I would agree that Pauric Maher should have been sent off a few times in that match, I'd have given a yellow for the challenge on Rice because it was loose but the ball was there at the same time. Reckless but unfortunate all the same. The foul he got a yellow for was shameful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Skyrim wrote: »
    And if the refs don't punish the timber merchants, nicky brennan and eddie keher will highlight it.

Did you not know that 'manly' hurling is a one way street in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Like Silver you seem to have literacy problems the question has been answered above.

I agree that Paraic lost hes head last August and was clearly frustrated by the teams woefull performance, but the actual challenge that lead to Rice's injury was a complete accident IMO, you disagree fair enough.

I specifically asked you to name a player forced to leave the field, let alone suffer a long-term injury, as a result of a foul challenge from a Kilkenny player. It seems as though it's you who has the literacy problem.

You're the one who made the comment about 10 years of butchery. Take it back or justify it. It's amazing ten years of fouling by Kilkenny hasn't injured anybody but when the opposition respond in kind, bad injuries happen straight away. Do you think it's just that Kilkenny players are weaker and not able to stand up to foul challenges or is it that the Kilkenny offenders are not so effective at causing injury despite years of practice?

Richie Hogan was deservedly sent off for a petulant swipe against Limerick last year. If the Limerick man could have been blinded by that foul, he must be one of those very unusual people with an eye situated halfway up his arm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

Like Silver you seem to have literacy problems

" Paraic" "hes" "woefull" .

Keep them coming Premierstone:D

.And again to repeat..What examples of Kilkenny "filth" have left players sidelined or out of action for periods of time?
    Take your time now lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I remember now why I don't post on here between June and September when all hte loons and bandwagoners are around - seem too be around a bit earlier this year.

I'll see all the regular normal posters in October, adios!

• Advertisement

I remember now why I don't post on here between June and September when all hte loons and bandwagoners are around - seem too be around a bit earlier this year.

I'll see all the regular normal posters in October, adios!

I would challenge any rational person to read this thread and say whether you or I is the loon, based on the coherence of our respective postings.

In all fairness a Tipp supporter coming on here taking the high moral ground about "swinging hurleys" is a bit rich considering your own counties pedigree.And im not just talking about the last 4 years either.

Brian Gavin had no issue with it and saw it for what it was-an accident.So why should you?
    Is it an attempt to deflect attention away from the 2 lads antics in the semi last year,I wonder?
    One lad thinking he was a F**king ninja and the other one running around like he was after taking a feed of magic mushrooms.

The Tommy thing is getting boring now, lad.Take a look closer to home before you start judging others:D

Thats my point exactly, he is a useless incompetent referee. I wont defend the Tipp players last year but to be quite honest that seems to be the only case you can build, meanwhile your own lads, the masters of the dark arts are blissfully ignored as you point fingers at all in sundry.

Pudders wrote: »
    A terrible stroke that even if he didn't intend to injure, would have known the potential to injure.

Worse from Maher was not to apologise.

http://www.thescore.ie/michael-rice-there-were-seven-pieces-of-bone-that-were-big-enough-for-screws-to-go-into-603850-Sep2012/

Need i remind you that hurling is a game that requires constant thinking on your feet. You cant premeditate certain scenarios, unfortunate as they may be.

Similar to Paul O'Connell on Dave Kearney the other day, Maher's challenge on Rice while careless, cannot be deemed a premeditated attack. The many retaliations we've seen from certain players over the years though can be surely called into question.

Thats my point exactly, he is a useless incompetent referee. I wont defend the Tipp players last year but to be quite honest that seems to be the only case you can build, meanwhile your own lads, the masters of the dark arts are blissfully ignored as you point fingers at all in sundry.
    Do you honestly believe that Walsh meant to do that? Seriously now? :D "masters of the dark arts"...I suppose with the amount of hidings ye lads have taken off them over the years its only natural to assume some type of wizardy is at work.
    The many retaliations we've seen from certain players over the years though can be surely called into question.
    Your bogeyman Tommy didn't do much retaliation when the bould Benny nearly took the head off him,did he? No he didn't.Straight back on his feet ready to hurl again and made no bones about it either.

Anyway,may the best team win on Sunday and hopefully no one will be crippled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

"master of the dark arts" - indeed! So "dark" that the critics can't honestly see anything of consequences, other than the norm that one would expect in any competitive sport. However, what the "light" clearly demonstrates is the serious injuries being inflicted on Kilkenny players - fact. And there is no denying that fact. You can try to hide behind silly accusations that just don't wash. The proof is there - Tipp and Galway let those critics down with their filthy play. Those critics, including media people, have been calling it wrong for years, were hoping to be proven correct one day and were left with egg on their faces when Tipp and Galway showed the hurling world what playing OVER the edge is all about. Hence the silence regarding the serious injuries by those same people but more worrying, by Croke Park. Dropping McAllsiter and Waddiing is a hint of admission but the culprits still got away.

I wonder is there something in the rules for punishing any player who deliberately goes out to try to get an opponent sent off? Eoin Kelly and Corbett would need to be careful if there is - both showed unsporting behaviour in this regard over the last few years.

ps - Wadding showed incompetence as recently as the League game between KK and Tipp. He sent Tommy Walsh off for what was clearly not a second yellow card. Even the media were critical of that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I would challenge any rational person to read this thread and say whether you or I is the loon, based on the coherence of our respective postings.
    What has been so loony about his posts? Premierstone has been reasonably balanced in his views on the subject, he didn't deny that Maher deserved to see some punishment. You, on the other hand, have claimed that Maher intentionally set out to hurt rice. Were you at the dugout the time it happened? Are you a fly on the wall? Did you ask Maher himelf? You're hipocritical view is laughable. Next thing you'll be calling for action on Aidan Ryan's challenge on John Power in 1991.

Do you honestly believe that Walsh meant to do that? Seriously now? :D "masters of the dark arts"...I suppose with the amount of hidings ye lads have taken off them over the years its only natural to assume some type of wizardy is at work.

Oh here we go :rolleyes:

There is no disputing that Kilkenny have been a phenomenal team over the years even on the rare occasion they were defeated but then there is this blindness that their supporters have toward their moments of madness and yet this 20/20 vision they have toward others...never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Need i remind you that hurling is a game that requires constant thinking on your feet. You cant premeditate certain scenarios, unfortunate as they may be.

Similar to Paul O'Connell on Dave Kearney the other day, Maher's challenge on Rice while careless, cannot be deemed a premeditated attack. The many retaliations we've seen from certain players over the years though can be surely called into question.

Difference was Paul O'Connell apologised.

What has been so loony about his posts? Premierstone has been reasonably balanced in his views on the subject, he didn't deny that Maher deserved to see some punishment. You, on the other hand, have claimed that Maher intentionally set out to hurt rice. Were you at the dugout the time it happened? Are you a fly on the wall? Did you ask Maher himelf? You're hipocritical view is laughable. Next thing you'll be calling for action on Aidan Ryan's challenge on John Power in 1991.

Christy Heffernan is still whingeing about the free awarded prior to Tipperary's goal in the 91 final but in the next breath he claims that Tipperary are a county full of whingers. Hilarious really. Sums up the whole outlook that our good neighbours over the border have.

While we are on the subject of the league final ill be the first to admit that despite the stability that Eamon O'Shea has brought so far that our panel is still not settled and to be honest i dont know what to expect Sunday. If we allow Kilkennys fast players to get a run on us then im under no illusion that yes we could indeed get a trimming but i still believe we are on the right track under the manager.

My original use of bringing Brian Gavin into this thread was not to have any pop at Kilkenny but im amazed that the general consensus is that the two referees in question were deservedly canned (possibly right) and it would seem the reasons cited were mainly because they let things go against Kilkenny and tbh its hard to dispute, but at the same time other equally useless and unfit looking referees like Gavin are totally left out of the thread....i wonder why that is now.:rolleyes:

Accident or not id agree Maher definitely should have apologised. Foolish on the young man's part no doubt

Any decent sportsman would.

("Skyrim;84390582"]What has been so loony about his posts? Premierstone has been reasonably balanced in his views on the subject, he didn't deny that Maher deserved to see some punishment. You, on the other hand, have claimed that Maher intentionally set out to hurt rice. Were you at the dugout the time it happened? Are you a fly on the wall? Did you ask Maher himelf? You're hipocritical view is laughable. Next thing you'll be calling for action on Aidan Ryan's challenge on John Power in 1991.[/quote]

Balanced!!! Have you actually read the entire thread? He accused Kilkenny of being guilty of 10 years of butchery and said they were now complaining when they were getting a taste of their own medicine.

I asked him to back this up with facts or else withdraw his ridiculous insult. All I got in response was a load of spoofing and to be called a loon. Yet he's the balanced one!

Balanced!!! Have you actually read the entire thread? He accused Kilkenny of being guilty of 10 years of butchery and said they were now complaining when they were getting a taste of their own medicine.

I asked him to back this up with facts or else withdraw his ridiculous insult. All I got in response was a load of spoofing and to be called a loon.Yet he's the balanced one!

Ah sure just mark it down as another incident on the long list of atrocities suffered by the poor Kilkenny folk.

Ah sure just mark it down as another incident on the long list of atrocities suffered by the poor Kilkenny folk.

Cheers! Very constructive contribution, really gets to the nub of the issue.

I tried that but I gave up on that when I saw some of these posts by the two jokers below!
    Are you going to answer Martin567 question or are you going to post another beauty of a post like the above?:D There is so much wrong with it,I don't even know where to begin and Im not going to even try.:D
    Grats wrote: »
    is

Absolutely. At last justice is done - whatever it may mean to Michael Rice. Wadding continued to cock up this year when he gave Tommy Walsh a second yellow in the wrong in the KK v Tipp League game.

The famous CCCC ought to be ashamed of themselves too. Why the hell did they not call in these two refs after their deplorable displays? Getting rid of them now is an admission of their mistake, or rather negligence.

Seriously, the above lad actually gave out about Fergal Moore not getting a yellow card when there was serious concerns for his well being last weekend!

Already gave my view on Pauric Maher's incidents.

I don't really care much for the Tipp v Kilkenny back on forth that seems to be going on, but there's a woeful amount of moaning going on from Kilkenny people I notice recently. Fair enough when there's an issue there like Maher's swing on TJ Reid, and possibly Reid's injury in the all-ireland final though I must admit I haven't seen that because I missed the replay.

But there's a lot of talk here that is pure and utter tripe, and to be honest comments like 'butchery' coming from the otherside seem to be born out of sheer frustration with attempting reason.

I'd accept that nobody should call Kilkenny a dirty team (and to be honest, I haven't really seen it being bandied about the place that much if I'm honest) but you cannot try and claim they've not pulled strokes. Just because a strike doesn't result in injury doesn't mean it should be treated any differently if there was the potential for injury there and there was in some of the incidents highlighted in this thread. Take a few examples, accidents actually can produce worse injuries than acts of malevolance. Shane Duffy (Irish defender) in training with the Irish team punctured a lung colliding with a defender, last week the consensus seems to be that if there was a foul commited it was by Fergal Moore and yet he ended up in hospital. While Maher's challenge was reckless, I still don't feel the one on Rice was a red card personally, though I think he should have had a yellow for being careless.

The ball was there though. Hurling is an odd sport in that sense. If the ball was in the air and Maher broke Rice's hand well Rice would be held accountable for not protecting his hand.

Finally, I don't think Kilkenny should be singled out as a dirty team because we've seen a player from every county pull a stroke at some stage. There is this holier than thou mindset that seems prevalent over the past few months though, and I have to say personally it's what's irritating me here.

• Advertisement

("Skyrim;84390582"]What has been so loony about his posts? Premierstone has been reasonably balanced in his views on the subject, he didn't deny that Maher deserved to see some punishment. You, on the other hand, have claimed that Maher intentionally set out to hurt rice. Were you at the dugout the time it happened? Are you a fly on the wall? Did you ask Maher himelf? You're hipocritical view is laughable. Next thing you'll be calling for action on Aidan Ryan's challenge on John Power in 1991.

I asked him to back this up with facts or else withdraw his ridiculous insult. All I got in response was a load of spoofing and to be called a loon. Yet he's the balanced one![/QUOTE]

You're irrational. Funny how you've ignored all of my points and you're trying to bring premierstone to task on his comments. One rule for one, one rule for others eh? Maher was careless but it wasn't intentional, even Loughnane agreed after the game, but I feel i'm wasting my time with you on this, so i'll leave it at that. I'm surprised you haven't brought up your team's treatment of Seamus Hickey during the 2007 All Ireland Final, selective amnesia is it?

Admitting it is the first step. Well done you!

The frustration Kilkenny people feel is with the way certain things have been portrayed in sections of the media in recent years. A few pundits seem to believe that Kilkenny get away with murder and would not be so successful if the rules were applied. They warned of serious injuries if no action was taken but were completely silent after the injuries suffered last year. Kilkenny people have had to highlight these incidents as no-one else appears to be interested.

The Padraic Maher incident is actually very similar to the recent Paul O'Connell incident in rugby. Probably not malicious but reckless in the extreme. Anyone who goes in swinging with that sort of force and at that height is more likely than not to cause injury. He showed complete disregard for his opponent. TJ Reid was struck with the side of the hurl on the kneecap with the ball several yards away. That incident was definitely malicious although he was still unlucky that such a serious injury resulted.

No genuine Kilkenny person would attempt to suggest that Kilkenny are angels or that they don't foul. Of course they do. Nevertheless, it is a fact that they have been on the receiving end of some of the worst foul play in the last five years. Apart from the above two incidents, there was the Benny Dunne assault and Tom Kenny on Cha Fitzpatrick in 2008. I think we are entitled to wonder why these incidents get forgotten when people start talking about who are the instigators of foul play.

A couple of the Tipperary contributors to this thread have used terms such as butchery and dark arts to refer to Kilkenny. Perhaps they have shown themselves to be decent contributors to other discussions but that's no reason to excuse them of the worst hyperbole in this particular thread. If their views are balanced as regards Kilkenny, it is only because they have an equal chip on both shoulders.

It was clear to everyone in the centre of the Cusack Stand last August that the only thing on Lar Corbett's mind from the very start was to goad Tommy Walsh into getting himself sent off. Does this tactic fall under the definition of dark arts?

I asked him to back this up with facts or else withdraw his ridiculous insult. All I got in response was a load of spoofing and to be called a loon. Yet he's the balanced one!

You're irrational. Funny how you've ignored all of my points and you're trying to bring premierstone to task on his comments. One rule for one, one rule for others eh? Maher was careless but it wasn't intentional, even Loughnane agreed after the game, but I feel i'm wasting my time with you on this, so i'll leave it at that. I'm surprised you haven't brought up your team's treatment of Seamus Hickey during the 2007 All Ireland Final, selective amnesia is it?[/quote]

You didn't make any points. You asked me if I had asked Padraic Maher what his intentions were or if I was a fly on the wall in the dressing room. The very definition of a pointless contribution.

You're irrational. Funny how you've ignored all of my points and you're trying to bring premierstone to task on his comments. One rule for one, one rule for others eh? Maher was careless but it wasn't intentional, even Loughnane agreed after the game, but I feel i'm wasting my time with you on this, so i'll leave it at that. I'm surprised you haven't brought up your team's treatment of Seamus Hickey during the 2007 All Ireland Final, selective amnesia is it?

You didn't make any points. You asked me if I had asked Padraic Maher what his intentions were or if I was a fly on the wall in the dressing room. The very definition of a pointless contribution.[/QUOTE]
    If you missed them, i'd be glad to point them out.
    First of all, your description of Premierstone's posts are inaccurate.
    It most certainly was not an accident and you're in a tiny minority if you think it was.
    Secondly, your statement about Maher is completely biased, blame the system, there's not much a player in question can do if a ref or linesman doesn't do his job. Did you ever hear Maher say it was intentional? Pointless contribution? Pot calling the kettle back, you seem so concerned about an incident which is almost a year behind us at this stage and and at least my posts have some semblance of balance, notice that I agreed Maher should have been punished, but that must have slipped your mind. Feel free to ignore my posts again.

The frustration Kilkenny people feel is with the way certain things have been portrayed in sections of the media in recent years. A few pundits seem to believe that Kilkenny get away with murder and would not be so successful if the rules were applied. They warned of serious injuries if no action was taken but were completely silent after the injuries suffered last year. Kilkenny people have had to highlight these incidents as no-one else appears to be interested.

The Padraic Maher incident is actually very similar to the recent Paul O'Connell incident in rugby. Probably not malicious but reckless in the extreme. Anyone who goes in swinging with that sort of force and at that height is more likely than not to cause injury. He showed complete disregard for his opponent. TJ Reid was struck with the side of the hurl on the kneecap with the ball several yards away. That incident was definitely malicious although he was still unlucky that such a serious injury resulted.

No genuine Kilkenny person would attempt to suggest that Kilkenny are angels or that they don't foul. Of course they do. Nevertheless, it is a fact that they have been on the receiving end of some of the worst foul play in the last five years. Apart from the above two incidents, there was the Benny Dunne assault and Tom Kenny on Cha Fitzpatrick in 2008. I think we are entitled to wonder why these incidents get forgotten when people start talking about who are the instigators of foul play.

A couple of the Tipperary contributors to this thread have used terms such as butchery and dark arts to refer to Kilkenny. Perhaps they have shown themselves to be decent contributors to other discussions but that's no reason to excuse them of the worst hyperbole in this particular thread. If their views are balanced as regards Kilkenny, it is only because they have an equal chip on both shoulders.

It was clear to everyone in the centre of the Cusack Stand last August that the only thing on Lar Corbett's mind from the very start was to goad Tommy Walsh into getting himself sent off. Does this tactic fall under the definition of dark arts?

Tommy Walsh needs no baiting to get wound up, great hurler that he may be. In the league game alone this year he started on Eoin Kelly just as he did in the 2010 All Ireland final and of course there was the 2011 All Ireland final where he made a chop like action which hit the referee Brian Gavin. He was very lucky to stay on the field that day. Only 8 days ago he was getting involved with Galway hurlers. There was the incident in 2010 where he broke a hurley off Andy Smiths legs. Before Benny Dunnes indefensible pull he gave Benny Dunnes helmet a tip.

Then we go to Jackie Tyrell and the many times he has 'Laid down a marker' with frontal challenges.

It would be naive to state that Kilkenny are the only county in the history of GAA to use dark arts but i think its fair to say that they have been guilty on several occasions but of course we state our case and we get the normal horsesh*t answer that we are being bitter and jealous. Alot of Lance Armstrong type defensive mechanisms really.

FWIW that tactic coupled with Lars carry on was utterly ludicrous last year. It was embarrassing and i for one dont know what he was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dzer2

Why cant the thread be kept on topic these refs have being dropped and the thread results in wingeing about injuries that happened last year we should be looking forward to the year ahead and the fact the games wont be ruined by incompetent refs.

dzer2 wrote: »
    Why cant the thread be kept on topic these refs have being dropped and the thread results in wingeing about injuries that happened last year we should be looking forward to the year ahead and the fact the games wont be ruined by incompetent refs.

The original point i was trying to get across is that Brian Gavin is as guilty of alot of clangers as the two that were dropped. I dont dispute the two being dropped as McCallister for starters lost total control of that game last year and Wadding is the complete opposite in being over zealous with cards as both Tommy Walsh and Noel Mcgrath received one and two yellows respectively for absolutely nothing in the league fixture back in February.

My understanding of what people mean by Kilkenny 'getting away with it' is general fouls not malicious ones. You are more than welcome to find links that contradict me on that because I don't speak for myself. But personally I always feel that they don't get half enough frees given against them. What I feel happens there is the Kilkenny people are used to them playing a certain way and when a ref penalizes them for these incidents there is uproar in the stands. You couldn't blame the players for it, you'd have to blame the referees but ya see at the end of the day the referee is caught in a tricky situation because both sets of fans can't be happy with his performance.

I say this with full prior acknowledgement that I'm as biased as anyone and only saw the game once, but I felt James McGrath missed several fouls on our players in the league game. Yet, there was a foul (I think it's possible that there were two fouls in quick succession) down in the stand corner in the second half where I think Aylward/Fennelly were fouled and then we got a free out of something and there was a huge shout followed by a chorus of boos. That's what I mean. Somebody mentioned wisely (rebel girl 15 I think) that fouls are a bit loosely defined and often carry different meanings in some peopless minds to others. If every supposed foul was blown in a game youd have a game of frees and nobody wants that. At the same time, it makes it hard to judge how much a foul is worthy of a free. Anyway rambling a bit here.

The other thing I'd like to add is while I'd condemn incidents like Maher's swing on Reid, Benny Dunne's pull and what Tom Kenny did, the problem there is with the structure of suspensions in the GAA. People generally don't want to reflect on these things (in the case of Benny Dunne I have to say he actually was berated for it in fairness) at that stage of the year. The whole certain length of time suspension is ridiculous because there's no inter county games for 6 months once the championship ends. That's what needs to change I feel, but maybe a discussion for a different thread?
    dzer2 wrote: »

Haha not likely now, some things will never change. And even if they do, the losing team will always need someone to blame ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dzer2

The original point i was trying to get across is that Brian Gavin is as guilty of alot of clangers as the two that were dropped. I dont dispute the two being dropped as McCallister for starters lost total control of that game last year and Wadding is the complete opposite in being over zealous with cards as both Tommy Walsh and Noel Mcgrath received one and two yellows respectively for absolutely nothing in the league fixture back in February.

The only problem Gavin has is he gets too close to the action. I have often reffed games its a lot easier to let them boys push and shove its rarely that they actually hurt anyone in the shamoozles that go on and they usually fizzle out after 20 seconds or that. At least Gavin stays up with the play and most of the frees he gives everyone can understand why they were given, he uses common sense and tries to allow the game develop so there is a bit of enjoyment in for the fans. They players respect him compared to Wadding or sexton.

Advertisement