Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling refs McAllister and Wadding axed from inter-county panel

Options
  • 26-04-2013 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭

Two of hurling's most high-profile referees, Cathal McAllister and Michael Wadding have been cut from the inter-county panel for this year's championship.

From the Irish Indo:
    The National Referees Committee seem intent on ensuring that officials apply the full rigours of the rules. The reduction in the number of elite referees is designed to ensure that those selected take charge of more games to ensure greater match fitness.
    The committee members were disappointed with the performance from hurling referees in general last year, with chairman Pat McEnaney claiming that up to eight red-card offences were missed in the 2012 championship.
    I think this is a good move from The National Referees Committee. I think it was clear to everyone that Michael Wadding was not fit enough to ref top inter-county games. Other than his fitness, he's not a bad ref. Hopefully this will give him a push to get back into shape.
    Cutting McAllister from the panel seems to be as a result of what Pat McEnaney said about referees missing red-card offences. The article in the Indo highlights the challenge by Tipp's Padraic Maher on KK's Michael Rice in the 2012 semi-final as an example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭BQQ

Two of hurling's most high-profile referees, Cathal McAllister and Michael Wadding have been cut from the inter-county panel for this year's championship.

From the Irish Indo:
    I think this is a good move from The National Referees Committee. I think it was clear to everyone that Michael Wadding was not fit enough to ref top inter-county games. Other than his fitness, he's not a bad ref. Hopefully this will give him a push to get back into shape.
    Cutting McAllister from the panel seems to be as a result of what Pat McEnaney said about referees missing red-card offences. The article in the Indo highlights the challenge by Tipp's Padraic Maher on KK's Michael Rice in the 2012 semi-final as an example.

I'd say all 8 of the missed red cards could have come from that match.
    Disgrace what Tipp were let away with that day. :mad:

Glad to see McAllister won't be putting more lads careers in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭silverbirch66

BQQ wrote: »

How he missed the the incidents with Rice and then TJ Reid is beyond me.Very poor performance.

Don't refs have to complete some type of fitness exam at the start of the season before they get on the panel? I know league of Ireland Refs have a fairly serious one at the start of the season and if they fail then goodluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

BQQ wrote: »

is

Absolutely. At last justice is done - whatever it may mean to Michael Rice. Wadding continued to cock up this year when he gave Tommy Walsh a second yellow in the wrong in the KK v Tipp League game.

The famous CCCC ought to be ashamed of themselves too. Why the hell did they not call in these two refs after their deplorable displays? Getting rid of them now is an admission of their mistake, or rather negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭deise man

Should have gotten rid of diarmuid kirwan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

deise man wrote: »

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

No surprise with Wadding, he only got the one league game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

Glad to see Macallister gone, no sense of common sense to his reffing, have seen him do some woeful performances over the years in Cork county games, good to see Mceneany wielding the axe

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭amber69

Wadding wasn't the worst but his level of fitness was a disgrace. Think he done the 2010 final and was fair enough but the clowns he brought with him to umpire for games. . Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Please show a bit of respect, this is an amateur game, of course they get paid expenses, all refs go out to do the best job they can and they should have our gratitude.

The term "gotten rid of " is completely uncalled for.

Supporters have a role to play and most supporters are fair but I would encourage a lot less tolerance for " for fcuks sake ref " from the sideline and the stands.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

How he missed the the incidents with Rice and then TJ Reid is beyond me.Very poor performance.

Don't refs have to complete some type of fitness exam at the start of the season before they get on the panel? I know league of Ireland Refs have a fairly serious one at the start of the season and if they fail then goodluck.

Yeah, they do a fairly severe test alright, fitness test then a rules test as well.

The problem for referees is making the game open v applying the rules to the letter of the law. If a referee was applying the rules to the letter of the law, then guaranteed you will have supporters and managers baying for the referees blood and complaining about the game being poor as a spectacle, with absolutely no focus on the players who commit the fouls!

Without doubt, referees will miss things - umpires and linesmen need to have more power and use it better. I'm not sure of the courses umpires do, but my suggestion would be for those to do a modified referees course, with the rules exam, so that the umpires can be given the power to communicate with the referee.

I do agree about having the panel smaller - the more games the referees get the better. Its the easiest way to learn, being put into the situation. At the end of the day, a referee does not go out to have a bad game, it can just happen. Leaving one or two things go early can make the game very difficult for the referee for the rest of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

How did John Sexton stay on the panel? He is some man to ruin a hurling game. Too interested in being noticed. Mcallister is a ref who lets things go but maybe too much at times.

and Brian Gavin who didnt even know a deliberate swipe if it hit him in the face....which it did

and Brian Gavin who didnt even know a deliberate swipe if it hit him in the face....which it did

"tommy did it brian,it was tommy...he did it brian"

"Will you ever f**k off Eoin"

:D

"tommy did it brian,it was tommy...he did it brian"

"Will you ever f**k off Eoin"

:D

The difference is no one actually heard Eoin Kelly's words, it was mere speculation not that he was wrong though if he did say it. We all seen Tommy 'do it' though. Did Tommy get a red? nope!

Talk about sidetracking anyhow. Dope of a ref sees a man straight in front of him swing a hurley and is more upset at the thought of someone reporting his buddy.

The difference is no one actually heard Eoin Kelly's words, it was mere speculation not that he was wrong though if he did say it. We all seen Tommy 'do it' though. Did Tommy get a red? nope!

Talk about sidetracking anyhow. Dope of a ref sees a man straight in front of him swing a hurley and is more upset at the thought of someone reporting his buddy.

In all fairness a Tipp supporter coming on here taking the high moral ground about "swinging hurleys" is a bit rich considering your own counties pedigree.And im not just talking about the last 4 years either.

Brian Gavin had no issue with it and saw it for what it was-an accident.So why should you?
    Is it an attempt to deflect attention away from the 2 lads antics in the semi last year,I wonder?
    One lad thinking he was a F**king ninja and the other one running around like he was after taking a feed of magic mushrooms.

The Tommy thing is getting boring now, lad.Take a look closer to home before you start judging others:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's funny to me here is the tactic being used by people to defend their own by having a cut at players from other Counties. It seems some are unable to call a spade a spade, but are up in arms when one of their own is hurt. Incredible.

With regards to the referees, thought Wadding was pretty good most times a saw him. Don't really understand the level of fitness issue people seem to be raising, did they think his performance deteriorated at the end of games? I'd say a lot of them could do with being a bit fitter, though I heard the fitness test was actually tough enough. You can never be too fit to be a ref though, especially given the effort the players put in.

Cathal McAllister did himself no favours last August. I think Pauric Maher's swing that broke Rice's hand was a yellow card offence, it was reckless. Think the outcome was just a bit unfortunate though, don't see that there was intent. But he should have been yellowed, and then he would have gotten another yellow for other fouls commited and that would have avoided the incident on TJ Reid which was very bad in fairness and how he only got a yellow.

Anthony Stapleton has also been dropped apparently. Wouldn't encourage a free for all on refs but I have to say myself and a lot of Waterford fans were very disappointed with the way he handled the Waterford v Galway league game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

In all fairness a Tipp supporter coming on here taking the high moral ground about "swinging hurleys" is a bit rich considering your own counties pedigree.And im not just talking about the last 4 years either.

You would have to laugh at the Kilkenny crowd, they spent the past ten years butchering anything that moved and we had Nicky Brennan and Noel Skehan both regurarly stating that the reason Tipp couldnt beat KK was that Tipp were ''soft'' then Tipp steped up to the plate, denied KK the 5 in a row and now suddenly Tipp are dirty and KK are been victimised, you couldn't make this **** up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

amber69 wrote: »
    Wadding wasn't the worst but his level of fitness was a disgrace. Think he done the 2010 final and was fair enough but the clowns he brought with him to umpire for games. . Enough said.
    When he was bad he was woeful though.
    2011 Munster U21 game in Thurles when Cork played Tipp he gave Tippereary every free possible,the worst i have seen .Cork were rubgy tackled at times and got nothing at all.
    Cork still won the game but it was a terrible refereeing perferomance.It was so bad at half time Ger Fitzgerald even had a word with him.Talking to Tipp lads beside me they were even amazed at he's decisions.Cork only got about 4 frees awarded to them in the whole game.
    Glad to see him dropped,he is not up to intercounty level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

You would have to laugh at the Kilkenny crowd, they spent the past ten years butchering anything that moved and we had Nicky Brennan and Noel Skehan both regurarly stating that the reason Tipp couldnt beat KK was that Tipp were ''soft'' then Tipp steped up to the plate, denied KK the 5 in a row and now suddenly Tipp are dirty and KK are been victimised, you couldn't make this **** up!

Kilkenny had two players ruled out of hurling for 7-8 months in late 2012 as a result of illegal pulls that went completely unpenalised by the referees. Can you name even one opposition player forced to leave the field against Kilkenny, let alone suffer a long-term injury, as a result of this ten years of "butchering"?

It's a simple question so please don't dodge it. Last year's semi-final made clear to anyone interested the difference between physical hurling and pure dirt. Only one side was remotely interested in hurling on that day.

Martin567 wrote: »
    Kilkenny had two players ruled out of hurling for 7-8 months in late 2012 as a result of illegal pulls that went completely unpenalised by the referees. Can you name even one opposition player forced to leave the field against Kilkenny, let alone suffer a long-term injury, as a result of this ten years of "butchering"?

It's a simple question so please don't dodge it. Last year's semi-final made clear to anyone interested the difference between physical hurling and pure dirt. Only one side was remotely interested in hurling on that day.

Are you suggesting that Paraic Maher intentionally injured Michael Rice, looked like a freak accident to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Smith614 wrote: »
    How did John Sexton stay on the panel? He is some man to ruin a hurling game. Too interested in being noticed. Mcallister is a ref who lets things go but maybe too much at times.

I won't miss Wadding but in fairness to the man his mistake have being just that, mistakes. but how Sexton gets games beggar belief.
    Sexton shouldn't be allowed with 16 miles of a hurling match. I have never seen him do a good job on a game. He loves Booking players in the frist 20 mins for nothing. just to assert his a authority. and them send off someone for no reason but its different if your from Kilkenny or Tipperary he let them away with murder and it fine.

i hate going to games where he the ref.
    John Sexton always remindes me of Eric Cartman.
    I can see him now screaming "RESPECT MY AUTHORITY"

Rant over........

I'd be intrested in hearing the answer to that question as well,because from memory,I cant think of anyone getting "butchered" by a KK player.

I can, however remember the 2 incidents above and the stroke on Tommy in the 09 final.3 lovely examples of "stepping up to the plate" "and matching KK".Im all for hard hurling but when you read gobdaws banging on about "filth" from KK and "dark Arts" etc,you really have to laugh.

Im sure the Refs are after getting their cards marked and will be keeping a close eye on the timber merchants this season.Hopefully there wont be anymore unpunished strokes on KK lads going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Are you suggesting that Paraic Maher intentionally injured Michael Rice, looked like a freak accident to me?

A terrible stroke that even if he didn't intend to injure, would have known the potential to injure.

Worse from Maher was not to apologise.

http://www.thescore.ie/michael-rice-there-were-seven-pieces-of-bone-that-were-big-enough-for-screws-to-go-into-603850-Sep2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Im sure the Refs are after getting their cards marked and will be keeping a close eye on the timber merchants this season.Hopefully there wont be anymore unpunished strokes on KK lads going forward.

The other side of this is that we could see a season where Ref end up booking players and given free for every little thing. Hurling isn't a dirty game. Its hard and its fast. I while i hope that Dirty and Mean strokes are punished. I don't want to see 60 frees in a match or 14 or 15 booking for small fouls.

The other thing that need to be sorted out this year by ref is diving. Its something that has come into in the last 4 or 6 years.

One other thing here is that i don't think there are any dirty teams in hurling. Tipp, Killkenny and Galway are all physical and sometimes step over the line, As do all teams in the country.
    the problem is that if you play for these county there is a lot more of letting the game flow than any other county will get. So the other county get pull up for small things and booking follow. and then booking lead to red cards.
    There a big difference between how the Ref manages games with the Big county and everyone else.

I'd be intrested in hearing the answer to that question as well,because from memory,I cant think of anyone getting "butchered" by a KK player.

I can, however remember the 2 incidents above and the stroke on Tommy in the 09 final.3 lovely examples of "stepping up to the plate" "and matching KK".Im all for hard hurling but when you read gobdaws banging on about "filth" from KK and "dark Arts" etc,you really have to laugh.

You have serious memory issues so silver, John Dalton, Richie Hogan and Richie Power have all been suspended in the past two years all for striking and KK's filth in the 2001 League Final against Dublin was shamefull.

The stroke on Tommy Walsh by Benny Dunne was a disgrace and no one from Tipp ever claimed otherwise, we dont do cover ups. As I said above IMO Paraic Maher on Michael Rice was an unfortunate accident. As for a Galway man breaking TJ Reids kneecap, Im unsure how you are blaming Tipp for this??

You have serious memory issues so silver, John Dalton, Richie Hogan and Richie Power have all been suspended in the past two years all for striking and KK's filth in the 2001 League Final against Dublin was shamefull.

The stroke on Tommy Walsh by Benny Dunne was a disgrace and no one from Tipp ever claimed otherwise, we dont do cover ups. As I said above IMO Paraic Maher on Michael Rice was an unfortunate accident. As for a Galway man breaking TJ Reids kneecap, Im unsure how you are blaming Tipp for this??
    Are you going to answer Martin567 question or are you going to post another beauty of a post like the above?:D There is so much wrong with it,I don't even know where to begin and Im not going to even try.:D
    Anyway...
    You are the one that used the term "butchering" so again, please give examples of players getting sidelined and missing matches due to strokes from KK players.
    Surely with all the "filth" and "butchering" you are accusing us of there has to be a few examples of such savagery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

It most certainly was not an accident and you're in a tiny minority if you think it was. He couldn't have known he would shatter Michael Rice's finger but he went in as if swinging a slashers at full force without any regard for what he might hit. He was out of control on the day and committed enough offences to receive three red cards if an even half competent ref had been on duty.

I presume your failure to answer my earlier question is because you're still searching Google in a forlorn attempt to find even one example of an opposition player suffering a bad injury as a result of Kilkenny's 10 years of butchering.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

And if the refs don't punish the timber merchants, nicky brennan and eddie keher will highlight it.

Are you going to answer Martin567 question or are you going to post another beauty of a post like the above?:D There is so much wrong with it,I don't even know where to begin and Im not going to even try.:D
    Anyway...
    You are the one that used the term "butchering" so again, please give examples of players getting sidelined and missing matches due to strokes from KK players.
    Surely with all the "filth" and "butchering" you are accusing us of there has to be a few examples of such savagery?

I have answered the question, do you recall the league final against Dublin?? Richie Hogan attepting to take a Limerick players eye out, Tommy Walsh assaulting a referee?

I fail to see the connection between players missing matches and the severity of the challenge btw.

• Advertisement

It most certainly was not an accident and you're in a tiny minority if you think it was. He couldn't have known he would shatter Michael Rice's finger but he went in as if swinging a slashers at full force without any regard for what he might hit. He was out of control on the day and committed enough offences to receive three red cards if an even half competent ref had been on duty.

I presume your failure to answer my earlier question is because you're still searching Google in a forlorn attempt to find even one example of an opposition player suffering a bad injury as a result of Kilkenny's 10 years of butchering.

Like Silver you seem to have literacy problems the question has been answered above.

I agree that Paraic lost hes head last August and was clearly frustrated by the teams woefull performance, but the actual challenge that lead to Rice's injury was a complete accident IMO, you disagree fair enough.

Advertisement