Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Cup SF: Munster A vs Leinster A, Fri 26th April 7:30pm (Garryowen FC, Dooradoyle)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

JJ misses a kick :(

Just in from them game. Really thought jj should have nailed that one. A lot of mistakes on both sides but some of munsters handling was dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Just in from them game. Really thought jj should have nailed that one. A lot of mistakes on both sides but some of munsters handling was dreadful.

Standouts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hagz wrote: »
    The previous finals have been a few weeks before the Heineken Cup final weekend.
    Other years there was 4 group games, this year there was six. Usually there is a knock-out match during the six nations, but none this year.
    What weekend will this be on I wonder?

If we could get a team of something like the below we might have a chance.

McGrath/JOC, Dundon, Bent, Denton, Flanagan, Marshall, Ryan, Murphy, McGrath, Marsh, Carr, Reid, Byrne, SCM, Conway

The experience of the likes of Murphy, Ryan, Dundon etc would be key.
    I was thinking Marshall ahead of Denton and Ruddock in at 6. Goodman might be available for the As too

Backline for seniors could be
    Sexton Isa Darcy BOD McFadden Kearney
    22 Madigan 23 DKearney

Or if we go out of the Amlin this weekend we could see a few first 23s playing for the As :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

good win for the young leinster lads

A smashing 69th minute try, scored by winger Andrew Boyle, following a flowing back-line move proved the crucial score as Leinster 'A' ended the Munster 'A' team's cup defence in dramatic fashion.
    The drama was not over then, however, as Munster 'A' did have an opportunity to sneak victory in added time. However, a penalty attempt from the home side's out-half JJ Hanrahan just outside the 22 flew narrowly left and wide.
    Leinster 'A', who had lost out the Munstermen in last season's semi-final, will face a trip to either Bedford Blues or Newcastle Falcons in next month's British & Irish Cup final.
    The winning margin may have been extremely tight, but there was no doubt that Leinster 'A' emerged as deserving winners of a fiercely competitive game where defences held the upperhand for long stretches.
    Girvan Dempsey's young charges held onto possession well, succeeded in building phases and pressure and forced Munster 'A' in conceding penalties, with centre Noel Reid landing four of them.
    While Leinster 'A' were more clinical in attack, the visitors also managed to put the shackles on the hosts' attack. The back row, including captain Conor Gilsenan, excelled, getting through some highly impressive at the breakdown and in the collision area.
    Half-backs Cathal Marsh, who made his senior debut against Zebre last Sunday, and Luke McGrath controlled the game superbly all through.
    The regular showers which fell prior to kick-off made for a slippery top surface in Dooradoyle. Led by exciting flanker Gilsenan, Leinster 'A' made a late change to their selected line-up, with Ireland Under-20 international Steve Crosbie coming in for Fionn Carr at full-back.
    The visitors made the brighter start and took the lead in the third minute through a penalty goal from Reid.
    Holders Munster 'A' enjoyed plenty of possession and territory for the next 20 minutes, but Leinster 'A' managed to hault their progress with excellent defending.
    All Munster 'A' had to show for that period of domination was a 13th minute penalty goal from Hanrahan.
    Dempsey's side hit back strongly in the second quarter, with young scrum half McGrath especially influential. They succeeded in building phases and pressure, forcing Munster 'A' into the concession of several penalties.
    Reid landed two further place-kicks at goal in the 22nd and 28th minutes to help his side into a useful 9-3 advantage. Hanrahan and Reid traded further penalties before the break to leave Leinster 12-6 in front at half-time.
    Munster introduced the experienced duo of Marcus Horan and Sean Dougall in the third quarter and the home side drew level with Hanrahan's fourth successful kick at goal in the 63rd minute.
    However, a composed Leinster 'A' side showed admirable resilience to work their way deep into the Munster 22. After the initial onslaught through the forwards was stopped, they quickly moved the ball right and Boyle touched down.
    To their credit, Munster 'A' came back and a fifth Hanrahan penalty goal made for a nervy finish. However, after the out-half missed his sixth penalty attempt in added time, Leinster's victory was secure.

*Leinster Site report

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Great to hear Gilsenan doing well, he could make big strides in the next season, with himself, Ryan, VDF and Leavy coming through I can see next season being Jennings last at Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

To clarify, the winning try was scored by my tip for under rated amazeballs player who could potentially be amazing, Sam Coughlin Murray.

Well done to the lads, that was a very young team, patched up, winning against a very decent, experienced Munster side.

BIzfQXcCYAE3gho.jpg:large

The final will be even tougher though. Away to a (more than likely) very strong Newcastle side, who have hammered pretty much everyone.

Brace yourself for the Munster attempted signing of Luke McGrath and Adam Byrne.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    To clarify, the winning try was scored by my tip for under rated amazeballs player who could potentially be amazing, Sam Coughlin Murray.

Is this 100%. It's just that both the Munster site and Leinster site are saying it was Boyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Will Jimmy Gopperth be playing in the final I wonder?

Hagz wrote: »
    Is this 100%. It's just that both the Munster site and Leinster site are saying it was Boyle.

Yeah, they corrected it on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Piss poor game, continuous stop start game. Munster were riddled with errors, poor tackling gave Leinster huge meters and eventually led to their try right in the corner, very hard conversion.

It looked like Leinster got over earlier for a try but the AR called a knockon .

No11 for Leinster threw his guts up just after arriving out on the field after the break. Fullback looked slow when chasing down kicks but was steady under high balls.

Leinster had the wind in the first half and the sun in the eyes of the Munster players but both had disappeared in the 2nd half.

Munster seemed to have more if the ball but ciughed it up way too easily, in the last few minutes we never looked to set up a drop goal, went wide and knocked on the ball, won a penalty from scrum but JJ missed it, hardest kick if the night for him.

JJ was standout for Munster but Williams, Barnes and Bohane were poor. Dougall made a huge difference when he came on. I was disappointed with Adam Byrne but maybe because of the game rather than his own game. He picked up a loose ball in his own 22 and took off but Williams managed an ankle tap and brought him down,. Also disappointed with Nagle and Foley but they probably had fewer missed/soft tackles than others.

If either side had the better of the scrum it was possible Leinster but not by much, lineouts were level.

Both No8s were poor, with CJ being the poorer of the two.

Neither team would have won the corresponding game last year, this year was 100% reversal from that game.

Leinster need to massively mprove for the final - best of luck in it, keep the cup in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Niall Ronan was decent in the loose but jj was probably Munsters standout player.
    Thought Luke mc Grath was Leinsters best player on the night. Looked sharp, passed well.
    Phog summed up the game fairly well.

On a side note how Michael bent got capped my Ireland I'll never know. Not an international prop on that showing

Niall Ronan was decent in the loose but jj was probably Munsters standout player.
    Thought Luke mc Grath was Leinsters best player on the night. Looked sharp, passed well.
    Phog summed up the game fairly well.

On a side note how Michael bent got capped my Ireland I'll never know. Not an international prop on that showing

Actually, failed to mention Marsh, he looked good too and should benefit from Sexton in France. True about Bent, started the Autumn Internationals and now only making the A squad and not really outshining anyone.

Les Kiss and Gert Small were at the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

demented had a good report on LF.

Leavy is 18 and played most the game versus Ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

You talking about hugonaut I assume.

Great to see several players I played with underage playing with either side. Leinster will have it very tough in final over in Newcastle against Newcastle. Best of luck to them

ormond lad wrote: »
    You talking about hugonaut I assume.

Great to see several players I played with underage playing with either side. Leinster will have it very tough in final over in Newcastle against Newcastle. Best of luck to them

yeah, hugonaut = demented mole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Final on the same day as the Amlin. Newcastle have won every game they've played this year, so beating them will take some display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Anyone know where I could find a decent match report on this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Where can I find this report?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

wtf is this match on on the same day as the amlin cup final? would have travelled up for it

Some pics of the game from the Munster site

inpho_00690014.jpg

inpho_00690061.jpg

inpho_00690066.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Interesting that the Welsh participation has been reduced. I wonder if it was at their request or not.

No highlights to be found yet..

Rugby Club on Sky showed Boyle's try and Hanrahan's missed kick though.

Basically made it Heineken Cup format.

I'm glad the Welsh, English and Scottish seem to embrace this tournament, as it's a vital cogg in the development of Irish players through an A squad playing good teams in a good competition.

Advertisement