Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2013 announced for June 10-14

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Isn't Airplay in the Control Centre? Shows up for me beside AirDrop even with no Apple TV turned on.

There will definitely be changes. Some of the Apple apps from the Store like iBooks and Podcasts will definitely be updated with the new design in mind. Plus theres also a lack of the old Voice Memos app (which I actually hope stays off the phone, just one less stock app that I never use). The problems most people are pointing to are so small in the overall change to the OS. It wouldn't bother me that much if they didn't change it. The positives outweigh the negatives imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

Yep, it's in the control centre.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't have airplay in the control centre at all, AirDrop is on it's own. I'm sure I do remember seeing it there at some point though.

I can see the Airplay devices when I'm in something like the iTunes store though. Hmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Cale

Graham wrote: »
    I don't have airplay in the control centre at all, AirDrop is on it's own. I'm sure I do remember seeing it there at some point though.

I can see the Airplay devices when I'm in something like the iTunes store though. Hmmmm

Apologies, it might have been airdrop I saw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Cale wrote: »
    Apologies, it might have been airdrop I saw.

Nope, you were right the first time. Quick restart of the phone and there it is right next to AirDrop.

• Advertisement

OK first major annoyance with the iOS 7 beta. I just downloaded two apps via iTunes on my Mac. Added one to a folder and the other on the main app page. And I began syncing. Everything was fine until I unlocked my phone and see that the iPhone has just randomly emptied folders out on the homescreen. Seems to be an issue with Folders having the maximum amount of apps before iOS 7. Plus through iTunes you still get the folder view. I've synced before no problem. Seems to be just adding new apps causes the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

never mind, i'm an idiot i found it. when i checked last it wasnt in the control centre. now it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I see parallax also works on the lock screen. And are my eyes deceiving me? Does the locksreen fade in when you press the home button?

mad muffin wrote: »
    I see parallax also works on the lock screen. And are my eyes deceiving me? Does the locksreen fade in when you press the home button?

Yeah one of the new animations. Fade in and out. The parallax effect is one of my favourite features of the whole update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

9to5 are reporting that they are already changing some icons

• Advertisement

This seems like the legit version of iOS 7 optimised for the larger iPad interface. Don't know how they got their hands on it but to me it seems real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Looks awesome!

Looks so much nicer than the emulator versions. Some things look a little strange. But I think some parts looks even better on the iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Looks like theyve trimmed down the control center in functionality. It really is cluttered in B1.

miralize wrote: »
    Looks like theyve trimmed down the control center in functionality. It really is cluttered in B1.

Well the iPad has no camera flash for Flashlight or Calculator app so that will reduce the number of buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

DubDJ wrote: »
    Well the iPad has no camera flash for Flashlight or Calculator app so that will reduce the number of buttons.

True. Still think it could do with a rethink in general

Also here's another article from earlier today which shows some additional features/gestures Apple were working on in iOS 7, and for whatever reason didn't make it into the final release. Most interesting one for me is the ability to hide stock apps. Love to see that in a future update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

A slight rip off of android and windows if you ask me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not really familiar with Android, how are they similar? As for Windows, Metro was clearly an influence but its completely flat while iOS 7 isn't. The sense of visual depth in this redesign seems very new to me.

Manton Reece on iOS 7's "multiplane" design (via Gruber):
    Previous versions of iOS were built on a single plane with raised and textured areas on that surface, like a topographical map except with buttons instead of mountains. iOS 7 is instead designed with multiple flat layers. Each level is strikingly flat, but by layering two or three, spaced apart, Apple has achieved an overall sense of depth.

It’s a return to basics. Simple things can remain simple, readable. When clarity is needed, everything goes flat. But it’s a framework that allows for subtle motion and depth without changing what works about the new, content-first flat design. iOS 7’s control center blurs the layer below. The home screen background sits deeper too, as if only the app icons are touching the screen. Photos scroll under the navigation bar.

Each plane is painted flat as if on glass. There can be no text drop shadows, no textures, without ruining the effect. And the result of this strict metaphor is equally valuable: there are no drop shadows to distract or obscure an app’s real content.

http://www.manton.org/2013/06/multiplane.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement