Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP Spheroid - First Impressions.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Ah nice one green, watched a few vids and everyone used the u wick style but your way is alot handier, if it works in the a7 it has to work in this!
    I cut the loop in the a7 because I think it helps with wicking(juice getting to the centre of the wick easier) but that could be all in my head :-)
    Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

No problem. Think its the go-to method for the spheroid from Perseas of VA himself. Works well anyway.

If you're ever in the move, you can drip a bit into the drip tip and it'll soak it up too.

Great atty.

Just goes to show! Pbusardo, grimmgreen, Scott, Todd, etc. all used the u wick style, feckin gobesh*tes :-)

Make the loop long enough that it goes around the ID of the cone. After one or two fills it stays that way more or less. Good contact with the wool that way too.

Make the loop long enough that it goes around the ID of the cone. After one or two fills it stays that way more or less. Good contact with the wool that way too.

ID of the cone? Internal diameter?

• Advertisement

Yeah, so that it lies nice against the wool all the way around.

Got some blue juwel pad this evening. So far, so good......feeding very well indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Got some blue juwel pad this evening. So far, so good......feeding very well indeed!

What's that and where did I get it. Is it like the blue wonder foam?

Got it in a pet shop. It's used in aquariums so should be good. Fish are sensitive to chemicals I think so it should be good stuff. I hope....

A block of it only cost a couple of euros. Big coarse pores. Stuffed it in from the open end but I'll open it up and put it in better tomorrow.

Read about it on a few forums.

Edit: If you want some I can send you a bit but it would be easy to get some yourself in a pet shop.

I'll have to give that a try. Nice find

• Advertisement

Damn it. Last night I stuffed it in from the open end and it worked well. Took the stem out and wrapped it up nice and tidy this morning but it flooded. Should work well if its compressed but gone back to sera for the moment....

Just got some more juwel pad. Finer stuff and more like wool than the coarse stuff that I got. Compact/compact H Bioflow 3.0.

I'll report back. Pretty hopeful on this actually.....

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Right depth and everything. Just cut a rectangle to wrap once around the chimney and its easy to get it in as well. Stays in a nice firm shape. It's feeding beautiful and the density is spot on all the way through. 4 euro for 5 pads that will last for yonks.

Just to show the stuff:

I'm using the blue version of the Juwel pad for the last few days. The first time I tried it, it was inclined to flood the atty but Id just cut it to size for one wrap and the pores were just too coarse.

Using a 60mm x 3-4mm depth section for the last few days. Takes 2 wraps around the stem and its feeding unbelievably well and not flooding the wick. It's pretty unbelievable actually. The wick is nice and soaked even when the foam looks empty and must almost be empty in reality as well. It just took 40 drops there now to fill it but the wick was wet before I filled it. You can chain vape and it will keep up easily.

I'm using the blue version of the Juwel pad for the last few days. The first time I tried it, it was inclined to flood the atty but Id just cut it to size for one wrap and the pores were just too coarse.

Using a 60mm x 3-4mm depth section for the last few days. Takes 2 wraps around the stem and its feeding unbelievably well and not flooding the wick. It's pretty unbelievable actually. The wick is nice and soaked even when the foam looks empty and must almost be empty in reality as well. It just took 40 drops there now to fill it but the wick was wet before I filled it. You can chain vape and it will keep up easily.

Where did u find the blue version of the Juwel pad?

Any pet shop that has fish supplies. You can't miss it. Juwel Compact 3.0.

Edit: If you can't find it I can send you some.

Any pet shop that has fish supplies. You can't miss it. Juwel Compact 3.0.

Edit: If you can't find it I can send you some.

How about a part number or a picture of the box?

Here ya go:

Looks like wonderfoam to me! But I only put 1 wrap in the spheroid and its about 5mm thick.
    Nice find :-D

• Advertisement

Tried one wrap but it doesn't really retain the juice enough. 2 wraps at 3mm deep is excellent though.

The white pads work well too but tend to have a bit of retention, something like sera wool. It absorbs it well. I think the blue stuff holds it rather than absorbs it.....if you know what I mean...so its happy to get rid of it to the wick rather than retain it.

I think it is similar to wonderfoam but coarser. The pores are larger but using 2 wraps of 3mm rather than only one wrap of 5/6mm compresses the pores to the right porosity. One wrap of wonderfoam is enough seemingly but its not available to buy anywhere really is it?

If it works, it works :-). Dont know if wonderfoam can be got anywhere, Im still using the original pieces I put in the a7 and spheroid. I just rinse them out every couple of days, and reuse.
    I got about 1x2 inches of it left and was guarding it with my life!

I think Flavour Art has a few bits but I wouldn't be interested in a short term supply really. The blue foam is dirt cheap and so is the white pad equivalent that I tried last week so I should be sorted.

Just trying to see if I'll go for one of those Bulli mods now. I think the elite is 17mm and only 90mm long or so. Think the spheroid is 16mm wide so they should look nice and tidy together. Most of the other mods don't interest me as they are either too bling or too wide/long. Just a bit unsure about the whole battery draining thing though. The good old Twists are pretty steady that way.

Yeah, I cant be doing with the whole voltage drop thing. I mean I wouldnt put an atty into a vv and then keep dropping the voltage. Doesnt really make sense to me, but then again wtf do I know :-) Im finding the spheroid a little top heavy on an ego, Im mainly using the a7oid on the ego and the spheroid with a vv or paps when Im feeling posh :-)
    Those yokes superneat was talking about look promising but might be a little bit long and you still have to put up with voltage drop.
    Im thinking of picking up one of those new kanger 650mah batteries cause they are fixed at 3.7v compared to 3.3v on an ego c.
    On a separate note..do you (or anybody else) get big loud 'pops' while using the spheroid? Its not a problem but it did scare the crap out of me the first few times it happened. Same thing happens in the a7 but to a much lesser degree.

Sometimes happens but not so much on the spheroid. I 'think' if the coil is not connected absolutely correctly in an atty it can happen. If there's water in there Id imagine it would pop too as it would superheat above its boiling temp.

Reading a good few threads on the unregulated mods and I think there is a bit of noise about people getting fed up with the dropping voltage actually. I suppose once upon a time there wasn't as many of the regulated mods around and the obvious choice was a mod + kick. Even Twists are relatively new. Those evics and Lavatubes and all of those yokes are just way too big for me. I like something that fits in my trouser pockets!

Come to think of it now the popping does seem to happen more frequently after rinsing out the wonderfoam!
    I would love a twist but I carry the egos in my pocket and the 1000mah is just too long for my pocket.
    Personally I think fixed voltage and make the coil to suit (without going over the amp limit) is the way to go....for me anyhow:-)
    Really like the look, voltage and button of the kanger batteries, just wish TBS stocked 1000mah versions and they had some sort of battery level indicator like the ego c's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

For anyone considering picking up one of these here's my guide to setting up a spheroid V2 in only 24 easy steps:

1: Strip it down completely making sure to scratch the finish with a pliers
    2: Burn fingers while degunking everything in boiling water
    3: Without moving from the couch loose the 510 insulator
    4: Spend an hour on your hands and knees looking for the aforementioned 510 insulator
    5: Get assaulted by the ironing board & throw tantrum
    6: **** the spheroid on the ground whilst showing off the extent of your swearing vocabulary
    7: Make tea, regain composure & locate insulator where you left it down the back of the couch
    8: Wrap numerous unsuccessful coils making sure you've used every possible combination of wick/wire at your disposal
    9: Figure out that the perfect coil is made up of 4 wraps .4 ribbon kanthal & 1 strand 3mm wick 15mm or so hanging out each end
    10: Take a shot of hot juice to the eye while test firing and practice swearing again
    11: Set off the fire alarm
    12: Get a bollocking form your other half about all the noise (Bonus points if they've gone to bed at this stage)
    13: Apologise profusely and return to your man cave
    14: Cut a piece of filler material to the correct size according to everyone on the internet
    15: Half the piece of filler
    16: Half again plus a bit more
    17: Put everything back together and have a vape
    18: Give yourself a pat on the back
    19: Use every scrap of kitchen roll in the house to half clean up the mess you've made
    20: Proceed to bedroom feeling awesome
    21: Brush teeth while admiring your bloodshot eye in the mirror
    22: Wake other half so that they can share in your awesomeness
    23: Get another bollocking
    24: Sleep safe in the knowledge that the vaping fairies will tamper with your spheroid overnight and in the morning you'll have the opportunity to say "Could have sworn this was wicking better before bed"
    Fantastic little atty but by god do you have to work hard to get it right initially

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Hilarious, sounds like a few nights I had trying to get the AGA-T working but with a blowtorch added into the mix for added injury potential. And without any success at the end. Fun times:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

It was worth it in the end :D

Absolutely cracking bit of kit but takes some effort to get right, saying that i am slightly peeved off about having to take a brand new €100 atty to pieces to clean it!

Advertisement