Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    He was 1 ahead with two to play. He hit a super iron shot to find the green on 17.

Then what did he do? **** himself & 3 putted from nowhere.

What did he do on the 18th tee? Blocked it right.

Sky sports did a bit on him before he won this event last year. He’s has the worst record in the history of the pga tour leading going into the last two rounds (might even be going into the last round)

He’s a bottler. Even the sky sports interview at the time pointed out the stat to him.

Blocked it right then hit a superb shot out of the bunker from an iffy lie to 20 feet and 2 putted - he closed it out well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Very solid? He shot over par & his bunker shot was from 125 yards. Probably a gap wedge lol.

As per usual commentators making the shots sound way harder then they actually are.

I’m fairly sure best round of the day was -3 68 so yes, 72 was a good round under the pressure and was good enough for the win??

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Only caught a few minutes of it here and there , but a winning score of 8 under is fairly high by pga standards . What makes this course set up so difficult .? Weather conditions looked decent from what I saw of it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,444 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Isn't Golf pretty crazy?

Doesn't matter how bad you can play all year; because very often, previous form on a specific course can spring you a result like that for Casey.

Deffo dont think casey came close to bottling it but there was some proper bad shots hit coming in.

Louis never officially a winner in the US was poor, Kokrak had a shocker on the 18th after getting lucky with a poor drive and drop for a sprinker

DJ never made no birdie and the only other challenges were pretty inexperienced it was certainly an interesting watch

I think casey tracked his position well on the leaderbaord, but was never forced into taking anything on, his around the green game was also top notch, I thought he made some top drawer shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Very solid? He shot over par & his bunker shot was from 125 yards. Probably a gap wedge lol.

As per usual commentators making the shots sound way harder then they actually are.

Pitching wedge. Said so himself in the interview afterwards. had a very difficult lie in the bunker, had 133 yards to cover into a slight wind and hit 3/4 pitching wedge as that would cover 142 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Matchplay draw

screen-shot-2019-03-25-at-6.40.40-pm.png?w=1000&h=774

The Mickelson/Day group looks the standout to me

Lowry has a great chance of coming out of that Reed, Garcia and Putnam group

I think Luke List could surprise everyone in that McIlroy group. He's a really solid player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

I was thinking Lowry was in a tough group but I suppose Reed's game is not in great shape at the moment. Some great matches.. looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

HighLine wrote: »
    I was thinking Lowry was in a tough group but I suppose Reed's game is not in great shape at the moment. Same great matches.. looking forward to it.

It’s not and the commentators have made a big song and dance about it but he is still grinding out under par rounds.

Hopefully wrong and Shane will lift his game but I wouldn’t fancy him coming out of that group.

I’ll go for Webb Simpson as an outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very hard to see past Johnson and McIlroy for the win this weekend. They seem to be in great form and this course suits the bigger hitters too.

Am I right in saying 7 rounds of golf if you get to the final?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rikand wrote: »
    Lowry has a great chance of coming out of that Reed, Garcia and Putnam group

I think Luke List could surprise everyone in that McIlroy group. He's a really solid player!

Yeah and Harding has been in great form recently and Matt Fitz is a tough cookie, won't be easy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just doing my stats thing and McIlroy is an outstanding favourite for this. Tommy Fleetwood coming up second best in stats followed by Johnson and Day.

If anybody is interested in doing fantasy golf next season we might set up a league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just doing my stats thing and McIlroy is an outstanding favourite for this. Tommy Fleetwood coming up second best in stats followed by Johnson and Day.

If anybody is interested in doing fantasy golf next season we might set up a league.

Can you elaborate on what your stats thing is please?

From a betting perspective this tournament only really interests me on match by match betting, picking the winner is a bit of a lottery imo.

I'm looking forward to the Irish Times fantasy golf hopefully starting for The Masters!

Can you elaborate on what your stats thing is please?
    My stats run is based on, strengths which are most important for the particular course being played and form coming in.
    McIlroy leads all the major categories, form, shots gained off the tee and scoring. Fleetwood comes in second combining all.

This looks like one of my attempts from the sand.

https://twitter.com/Josh_Berhow/status/1110972034224480256

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

What way is it done if players finish level on 2 wins? Does it go on head to head then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Remind me wrote: »
    What way is it done if players finish level on 2 wins? Does it go on head to head then?

No, it goes on goal difference!

Sseriously though it goes to a playoff!

More Ryder Cup bull. I don't understand how anybody is interested in that anymore. It's a pointless bi-annual event which means nothing. Wish they'd just dump it and let Europe joint the rest of the world in the President's Cup. One of those events is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

More Ryder Cup bull. I don't understand how anybody is interested in that anymore. It's a pointless bi-annual event which means nothing. Wish they'd just dump it and let Europe joint the rest of the world in the President's Cup. One of those events is enough.

One of the things you don’t get is that being pointless is part of the whole point. It’s one occasion golfers aren’t playing for their own egos or for obscene pay cheques, when you can see their human side for a change, as so demonstrably happened in France last year. Plus it’s just really terrific drama when you get it into it and Cup is on the line. I suspect you’d be in minority among golf fans in your assessment.

One of the things you don’t get is that being pointless is part of the whole point. It’s one occasion golfers aren’t playing for their own egos or for obscene pay cheques, when you can see their human side for a change, as so demonstrably happened in France last year. Plus it’s just really terrific drama when you get it into it and Cup is on the line. I suspect you’d be in minority among golf fans in your assessment.
    Well I think I am in the minority. I used to love it but then it became more European and tat changed things for me.
    There's a lot of those European golfers that I'd have less time for than American golfers so I didn't have a side to shout for anymore.
    They are playing in it these days because of endorsement deal bonuses for qualifying and playing in it.
    I've no idea about what happened in France last year. The last time I watched was 2004.
    I don't understand the appeal of it anymore. It's long past it's sell by date imo.

Well I think I am in the minority. I used to love it but then it became more European and tat changed things for me.
    There's a lot of those European golfers that I'd have less time for than American golfers so I didn't have a side to shout for anymore.
    They are playing in it these days because of endorsement deal bonuses for qualifying and playing in it.
    I've no idea about what happened in France last year. The last time I watched was 2004.
    I don't understand the appeal of it anymore. It's long past it's sell by date imo.

Your opinion has been noted :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Interesting opinion but I literally couldn't disagree more. Ryder cup is the best event in golf for me!

Was just about to post about this, incredible up & down

• Advertisement

Rory up against it today. He is -2 to this point and all square, in trouble on the 11th.

Edit: Got away with it, both walk off with a bogey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement