Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

HighLine wrote:
    Some good golf on at Tiger's event right now... great leaderboard. They also have the players mic'd well so nice to hear their dialogue.

I'm really struggling to stay interested in it. It seems to lack a competitive edge. Commentary pretty inane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

First Up wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to stay interested in it. It seems to lack a competitive edge. Commentary pretty inane too.
    Yep, kinda like a pre season friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

First Up wrote: »

Yep, I watached for a while but couldn't get interested. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

It's hard to like either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I find Bubba very likeable, surprised to see him off to Thailand this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Well Patrick Reed is now a top ten golfer; only another five places to go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Was there actually ranking points for that event ?
    Not sure I agree with only 18 of the top guys playing against each other and gaining ranking points for doing it. Money talks I suppose.

Russman wrote: »
    Was there actually ranking points for that event ?
    Not sure I agree with only 18 of the top guys playing against each other and gaining ranking points for doing it. Money talks I suppose.

There were 46 ranking points for the winner and 27.6 for the runner up. Even though it was a small field, it was a pretty high ranking one: Bubba, Reed, Spieth, Rose, Koepka, Fowler, Scott, Kuchar etc. are all top 20 in the world.

There were 46 ranking points for the winner and 27.6 for the runner up. Even though it was a small field, it was a pretty high ranking one: Bubba, Reed, Spieth, Rose, Koepka, Fowler, Scott, Kuchar etc. are all top 20 in the world.

I still think giving points for a field this small reinforces a bit of a closed shop idea with the upper echelons of the rankings. I'm not sure those guys should pull further ahead of everyone else by simply playing each other in a 18 man field event, which is essentially an end of season get together. Purely IMO of course.

• Advertisement

Bit more than a get together with a million dollar up for grabs for the winner.

HighLine wrote: »
    Bit more than a get together with a million dollar up for grabs for the winner.

Not really, I doubt there was anyone there who hasn't won many multiples of that. Not saying its not a factor in getting them there, of course it is, but I really don't think its right for ranking points to be awarded in an event with a field that small, regardless of who they are or what the pot is.

To be really silly about it, its like Speith and Day agreed to play a match against each other and award ranking points to stay ahead of the rest :)

Spieth has put a bit of daylight between himself and Day - Spieth is on 12.01, Day on 11.45.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Spieth has put a bit of daylight between himself and Day - Spieth is on 12.01, Day on 11.45.

I see what you did there :D

Still too close for comfort though. A top 5 finish by either Day or McIlroy could eat up a sizeable chunk of that difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

I see what you did there :D

Still too close for comfort though. A top 5 finish by either Day or McIlroy could eat up a sizeable chunk of that difference.

It's better to have things reasonably close than to have one player dominating the rankings. And it would take a top 3 by Day or a top 2 by McIlroy to bridge the gap based on the points typically on offer at the beginning of the year (between 46 and 54 points for the winner in the first two months on the PGA Tour and between 42 and 50 for the Desert Swing on the European Tour). And that's assuming Spieth doesn't pick up any points from the same events.

abff wrote: »
    It's better to have things reasonably close than to have one player dominating the rankings. And it would take a top 3 by Day or a top 2 by McIlroy to bridge the gap based on the points typically on offer at the beginning of the year (between 46 and 54 points for the winner in the first two months on the PGA Tour and between 42 and 50 for the Desert Swing on the European Tour). And that's assuming Spieth doesn't pick up any points from the same events.

I agree on both counts. But Rory or Day could pick up .3 or .4 without winning and that would make it a lot closer. Granted Spieth could do the same, but it's very unlikely that there'll be any kind of a big gap developing unless one of them goes on a winning run.

Slightly off topic but here is Jason Day's dedication to being injury free next year.... no way was he going to protect Ellie and get in the way of LeBron coming at him :D

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/677702346281902080

A reminder for Irish interest that Shane Lowry and Paul Dunne are playing at the Farmers Insurance Open this week at Torrey Pines. Some other big names on the timesheet too..

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/farmers-insurance-open/tee-times.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Cheers for the heads up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Out of curiosity, how did Paul Dunne qualify?

• Advertisement

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how did Paul Dunne qualify?

A sponsor's exemption.

Good start for Paul Dunne.... -3 thru 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Good start for Paul Dunne.... -3 thru 9.

Playing the harder south course as well.

Sky really talking Dunne up on how impressive his PGA Tour debut has been so far today.. just a shame the US tv hosts aren't showing anything from him.

Sky really talking Dunne up on how impressive his PGA Tour debut has been so far today.. just a shame the US tv hosts aren't showing anything from him.
    Ach when they finally show him he misses the green with his pitch on his last hole!

Well done Paul Dunne - 3 under round on day one, on the more difficult South course. Shane Lowry on +2 after 16 holes on the North course - he'll need a good round tomorrow.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Ach when they finally show him he misses the green with his pitch on his last hole!

I grimaced when I saw that.... anyway a fantastic effort and debut on the PGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Hi, does anyone know if the PGA Tour shot tracker has been done away with?, I can't seem to be able to find it, always found it a handy way to keep track...

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭loadwire

Lowry birdied the last two to finish -1. Nice recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭loadwire

Hi, does anyone know if the PGA Tour shot tracker has been done away with?, I can't seem to be able to find it, always found it a handy way to keep track...

I could be wrong but I think it's not always available when there is more than one course involved. Not sure why but I seem to remember it being like that for similar tournaments last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement