Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City Line (BXD)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Surely there must be more changes that they could make on their journey - why not force them to travel as far as Leixlip and change again? Not everybody who takes the train is a closet enthusiast you know.

Don't be so patronising. I'm not opposed to this idea at all. I'm not sure that windswept Broombridge is even configured to deal with intercity trains, whereas I know that Maynooth, with its station house and ticket machines, is. At the very least, the move would mean building in extra stopping time into the timetable.
    Look, if it turns out that I can hop on the Sligo train at Broombridge, nobody will be happier than me. But I'm not going to demand the upheaval of services just to accommodate the odd Trinity student who can't handle hauling his or her laptop from Luas to commuter train to intercity train.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stop at Broombridge is a no brainer, will be a major transfer point particularly students heading for DIT & TCD who drive a lot of traffic on the Sligo line on weekends. They already is stop at Drumcondra to facilitate DCU students on Sunday

Also means you could divert Sligo services into Docklands during incidents of disruption/planned maintenance and still provide a meaningful connection option, much better than bussing people in from Maynooth

Platform isn't long enough for 7 car 22k, from memory. Built for 4 car commuter services

Any extra stops need to be accounted for by improved running time elsewhere or else you just further chip away at viability. Theres a dual carriageway going to construction soon that'll make the drive safer and more consistent speed wise and will shave a few minutes off the bus for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

L1011 wrote: »
    Platform isn't long enough for 7 car 22k, from memory. Built for 4 car commuter services

It would fit, Docklands platform is 203 metres long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Docklands is designed for 8 coach commuter services and with an extra allowance as it is a terminus stop

8 coach commuter is the same length as 7 car ICR and these fit in all platforms between Dublin and Sligo of all stations

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

Changing at Broombridge would be very convenient for a lot of people. A Mullingar to Sandyford commute would become viable, and most parts of the city centre will easier to access from Luas than doing the long walk up from Connolly. The biggest drawbacks would be lack of ticket sales facilities at Broombridge and the fact that there would likely be no way of adding Luas to a point-to-point train ticket with treating it as two separate journeys.

Since intercity trains normally crawl through Broombridge anyway, the extra stop would have little or no practical effect on the running time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GM228 wrote: »
    It would fit, Docklands platform is 203 metres long.

Never felt that long when I used the station but I was posting from a phone without the ability to measure on maps or search for planning details. Strike the comment :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If we look at Berlin say, every long distance train stops at a station on the edge of the city before getting to the main station, makes journeys quicker and simpler

Thats because Berlin is in the unique position of not having a city centre but rather a number of urban centres with universities, shopping areas, hospitals, housing etc. Outside the city centre Dublin is mostly residental suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Where is the additional room on the overcrowded trains to take people from the luas line, all trains a jammed to the rafters at the stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like it's not just cyclists who have issues with delivery vans parking in their lanes:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/parking-pain-luas-nose-to-nose-with-trucks-as-tram-tests-begin-1.3210393

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Apologies if this question has been covered before but does anyone know if there are plans to install a foot bridge at Broombridge for passengers travelling towards the city?

I know its not much of a walk up the current walkway, over the bridge and then into the Luas stop but it would be much easier for commuters to use a foot bridge, save a min or two when rushing for a tram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,302 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Keyzer wrote: »
    Apologies if this question has been covered before but does anyone know if there are plans to install a foot bridge at Broombridge for passengers travelling towards the city?

I know its not much of a walk up the current walkway, over the bridge and then into the Luas stop but it would be much easier for commuters to use a foot bridge, save a min or two when rushing for a tram.

Post #89 on this thread in Infrastructure suggests there is some footbridge construction going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Keyzer wrote: »

Post #89 on this thread in Infrastructure suggests there is some footbridge construction going on there.

A bridge and elevators are under construction, here's an artists impression.

Broombridge-1.jpg?w=750&ssl=1

And a newer one showing red bricked elevator tower.

Depot5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I just hope they keep security round the clock there for a few months once its all done at least or the lil scrotes will just wreck the place AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Infini wrote: »
    I just hope they keep security round the clock there for a few months once its all done at least or the lil scrotes will just wreck the place AGAIN.

A few months - then what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Infini wrote: »

The depot is staffed 24/7, they are parking trams out there now and I don't think there has been any issues yet.

GM228 wrote: »
    A bridge and elevators are under construction, here's an artists impression.

Super, thanks...

Was worried there would be no means to cross the tracks without leaving the train station.

12 weeks to opening so sometime around the 15 December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    12 weeks to opening so sometime around the 15 December.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0922/906748-luas-cross-city/

surprised at that, quite close to Christmas, thought it might be 1st Dec, still think it my be earlier than the 15th..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Going to be a phenomenal success.

ClovenHoof wrote: »

Should you have used one of these :rolleyes: ? I have serious doubts about this project - mainly due to the amount of on the street running - but I hope to be proven wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,144 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Remains to be seen. It's going to have operational issues through the CC unless AGS really clamp down on driver enforcement for its early months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Should you have used one of these :rolleyes: ? I have serious doubts about this project - mainly due to the amount of on the street running - but I hope to be proven wrong.

Yes of course. Trams running of streets with traffic happens no where else on earth. All the traffic around the AMsterdam trams I saw recently may be holograms or I was halucinating.

Yes of course. Trams running of streets with traffic happens no where else on earth. All the traffic around the AMsterdam trams I saw recently may be holograms or I was halucinating.

Or perhaps you haven't noticed the plethora of collisions on the Red Line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Del.Monte wrote:
    Or perhaps you haven't noticed the plethora of collisions on the Red Line?

What's the stats on this? Green & Red?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Where are the stops? No stations installed yet by looks of things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Where are the stops? No stations installed yet by looks of things
    Have you looked?

Journal.ie FB page has a view inside the drivers cab along the route for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

The video is here too. I enjoyed it. https://www.luascrosscity.ie/uncategorized/luas-cross-city-video-route/

The Phibsborough stop platforms look really incredibly narrow, will be interesting how it works in terms of peak time crowds.

If Busaras island copes I can't see Phibsborough having any problems.

I did wonder if an island would be better but I guess the reason they split was because of the lift and stairs, would just be way to many people walking out in front of trams.

• Advertisement

Have to say, looks great.

Seen the trams going up and down Dawson st on Friday, my inner five year old was transfixed.

Advertisement