Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle marathons reduce suicide rates.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

vronki wrote: »
    Bollocks. That's bot proof, that's just a ridiculous opinion with no statistics to back it up. Christian marriage causes high suicide rates, well I never. You are a joker.

The irony :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Suicide can been seen in every country and every culture!

Can you name me a single beleif system or place were there is no suicide?

Suicide is just another part of human nature, its nothing to do with christian beliefs of marriage, abortions or western culture and to try to argue it shows a distinctly uneducated mindset, actually I find it dangerous that people are so fucking stupid they would believe that crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

I was originally angry at this, then I realised OP is the worst, most blatant WUM around here for a while.

What's a WUM?

Mazeire wrote: »
    What's a WUM?

Google says wind up merchant. Never heard it before now, could be wrong on the meaning but it certainly applies here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

Google says wind up merchant. Never heard it before now, could be wrong on the meaning but it certainly applies here.

I actually really would like to think that he is because it's scary to think that people could actually think that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Right you are. Didn't want to use the "T" word cause it's back-seat modding to do so.

Mazeire wrote: »
    I actually really would like to think that he is because it's scary to think that people could actually think that way.

I think he gave himself away on the last page with this comment:
    Bollocks. That's bot proof, that's just a ridiculous opinion with no statistics to back it up. Christian marriage causes high suicide rates, well I never. You are a joker.

Then again there is always Poe's Law
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

These events aren't doing anything to reduce rates. They are just self-satisfying facades erected by people to make themselves feel better, because they contribute and encourage death in other forms. Driven by a guilty conscience.

riiiiggghhhtttttttt

I know more now about suicide, the signs of depression and what to do/who to call/what advice to give to a person than I did before the cycle was organized.

And to be honest, I'd rather be cycling and trying to so something positive about things than b!tching about it on an online forum.

Your post likening divorce to suicide is ridiculous - yet another great reason why I am quite comfortable being non-religious.

In addition, one might well argue that marraige is also unnatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Wow OP, you really opened my eyes. I thought it was to raise awareness of suicide, but now its obviously a baby killing anti-family fun run.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

How long is this country going to deny that all these charitable 'awareness' events do nothing (as statistics show) to reduce suicide? Surely the country needs to examine the real reasons behind such violence.

If the youth are being told that their life is precious and to talk to someone when they are suicidal, and then on the other hand being told that eliminating human life either in the womb or at old age is acceptable, then no strategy is going to work. They both contradict one another. Either all human life is precious or it isn't.

So Irish celebrities (many who are liberal about ending life) are going to cycle across Ireland now, feeling good about themselves. 'Raising awareness'.

In the case of Ireland, one can ask when suicide became a problem. Does it have something to do with high divorce rates? Most marriages are in Christian churches, which declare that one person is created at marriage, so divorce is the murder or suicide of that one person. So don't be surprised if the following generation mimick just that.

This is a serious issue. There is huge stigma and awareness needs to be raised in any way possible. Using it as a personal soap box for your crazy divorce theories is disrespectful at best.

You need to look at yourself for a minute. If you are represending Christianity then it really makes me glad I abandoned that backwards system years ago.

This post is not just ignorant and uneducated it is actually offensive. I rarely rise to anything online but this level of stupidity is absolutely astounding. What in the hell are you doing to help out, other than making the stigma worse and bringing totally unrelated nonsence with no backing to the table?

Frankly you should take a look in the mirror and be ashamed of yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

We either have a Crusader from the dark ages that somehow got on line or someone needs to check their prescription, may have got the wrong bag at the chemists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

These events aren't doing anything to reduce rates. They are just self-satisfying facades erected by people to make themselves feel better, because they contribute and encourage death in other forms. Driven by a guilty conscience.
    Wow you can read minds - must be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

So if divorce is suicide, can we then draw the conclusion that in the instance of divorce where one party doesn't want it that it is, in fact, MURDER?

OMFG :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Opened this thread expecting somebody ranting about cyclists but instead I got all kinds of other crazy.
    It doesn't work, does it? We've been talking and acknowledging for years and it's still happening. Cut the bull****. It is our liberal-death-views which encourage suicide rates, not 'not talkiing about feelings' since men long ago never did and they weren't offing themselves in huge numbers every year. Though I'm sure feminizing men is what women would love, to give them an advantage. Since they're always going to be the stronger she.
    Everyone knows that Ireland had artificially low suicide rate. At one point, I believe we had the world's lowest level of depression and suicide which was actually far from the truth. Men did not talk about their feelings and if they ended their lives, it would not be labelled as a suicide to allow for a proper church funeral. This was an extremely dangerous way to manage what was a hidden epidemic ,at least the country is finally attempting to deal with it.
    Criticizing divorce isn't a catholic agenda, you don' have to be Catholic to value marriage.

Anyway, it's not as if people want to admit that it is divorce that's causing this, or at least encourages it.
    But it's not, you must provide proof or we can simply assume that you're a bit mad. People are in unhappy marriages and you believe that it would be better for them to remain in them. So a person that is being abused by their spouse should be expected to stay? A loveless marriage should remain loveless because otherwise they would be committing murder?

I'd prefer for a feminisation of men over condoning holding all the ****e in our minds in and suffering for it. It is self destructive. Loveless or abusive marriages is going to have a far more negative effect on mental health than allowing for divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Legal formality? People get married in churches so it seems to be a lot more than that. Look, there is probably a number of divorced people here who will feel condemned by this. So predictable they will fight tooth and nail to defend themselves. That's expected.

We should be mindful of the real causes for this, and not fluff it up as 'men not talking'. Since men for most of human civilization weren't talking. It's men being men.
    why don't we all just say a mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

why don't we all just say a mass?

Look at that chalice work - effortless!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Most marriages are in Christian churches, so I'm afraid they are a lot more than that. And divorce is not natural, it's not supposed to happen - hence marriage vows.

Why would you assume that getting married in a church implies any sort of belief in Christian Doctrine?

Lots of people get married in churches because they make great backdrops for photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Been reading through this with my jaw on the floor. Either the OP is on a massive windup or somebody is posting from a loony bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vronki

hardCopy wrote: »
    Why would you assume that getting married in a church implies any sort of belief in Christian Doctrine?

Lots of people get married in churches because they make great backdrops for photos.

It wouldn't make a difference if the people getting married believed in the 1 person created at marriage doctrine at all. Since it would still happen anyway, and so a divorce is just another suicide.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It wouldn't make a difference if the people getting married believed in the 1 person created at marriage doctrine at all. Since it would still happen anyway, and so a divorce is just another suicide.

Hmm, now I'm not a doctor, but when two people get divorced, they are still technically alive. So therefore, and please tell me if I have made a mistake, it is not suicide.

We are going through some brilliant changes in society, most notably gay marriage becoming standard in many forward-thinking countries. Saying divorce is murder is not only ridiculous, but a step back to the middle ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hmm, now I'm not a doctor, but when two people get divorced, they are still technically alive. So therefore, and please tell me if I have made a mistake, it is not suicide.

We are going through some brilliant changes in society, most notably gay marriage becoming standard in many forward-thinking countries. Saying divorce is murder is not only ridiculous, but a step back to the middle ages.

The new combined person is apparently killed.

I think his name is Jim.

Wattle wrote: »
    Been reading through this with my jaw on the floor. Either the OP is on a massive windup or somebody is posting from a loony bin.

Jaw drop indeed. People opposing me have claimed for example that:

1. Pope Benedicts messages of love, protecting life and hope lead to - despair.
    2. Christian marriages cause suicide rates

3. A total denial of the attack on masculinity in the media and society today, therefore undermining men's sense of identity and thus confidence.

4. And my favourite: there couldn't possibly be any connection between society justifying suicide like euthanasia and murder (abortion) and there being a high rate of suicides in society. Combined with divorce being a source of suicide, albeit an invisible spiritual one.

Unbelievable indeed.

But then again, there's so much at stake here for the liberals. So this reaction was expected. Anyway, I pretty much highlighted possible causes for these high suicide rates, and how cycling and organizing hundreds of 'events' so celebrities can satisfy themselves, and appear compassionate is doing NOTHING FOR THE SUICIDE RATES.

Jaw drop indeed. People opposing me have claimed for example that:

1. Pope Benedicts messages of love, protecting life and hope lead to - despair.
    2. Christian marriages cause suicide rates

3. A total denial of the attack on masculinity in the media and society today, therefore undermining men's sense of identity and thus confidence.

4. And my favourite: there couldn't possibly be any connection between society justifying suicide like euthanasia and murder (abortion) and there being a high rate of suicides in society. Combined with divorce being a source of suicide, albeit an invisible spiritual one.

Unbelievable indeed.

But then again, there's so much at stake here for the liberals. So this reaction was expected. Anyway, I pretty much highlighted possible causes for these high suicide rates, and how cycling and organizing hundreds of 'events' so celebrities can satisfy themselves, and appear compassionate is doing NOTHING FOR THE SUICIDE RATES.
    The church have caused quite a few suicides over the years, certainly more than Roz Purcell.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So what your saying is even if a couple gets married without believing in the 1 person marriage thingy, doesnt get married through any religious institution and has absolutely no religious beliefs whatsoever they are still becoming 1 person?

The church have caused quite a few suicides over the years, certainly more than Roz Purcell.

Your point is irrelevant, and untrue, Since the Church promotes life and has always preached against suicide is a serious mortal sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Under that doctrine wouldn't you consider the priest a murderer. After all there were originally two people and apparently they cease to exist during the creation of this new person by the priest. At the very least you would consider him to be aiding in suicide as the participants are there willingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Eponymous wrote: »
    So if divorce is suicide, can we then draw the conclusion that in the instance of divorce where one party doesn't want it that it is, in fact, MURDER?

OMFG :eek:

Never mind all of that... If divorce is suicide then I'm pretty sure it means that people who remarry are in fact zombies. Godless undead heathens!

Your point is irrelevant, and untrue, Since the Church promotes life and has always preached against suicide is a serious mortal sin.
    THey preached it, however they certainly didn't practise it.

VinLieger wrote: »
    So what your saying is even if a couple gets married without believing in the 1 person marriage thingy, doesnt get married through any religious institution and has absolutely no religious beliefs whatsoever they are still becoming 1 person?

If they make those vows and come before God with that promise and God creates as Jesus said he does, one person out of two, then yes. It still happens whether they believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What about women who commit suicide. Is it because they has been masculinised?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement