Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle marathons reduce suicide rates.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

vronki wrote: »
    The west is built on Christian theology, whether you like it or not. In Christian theology, divorce is an actual real suicide - of the one person/flesh created at marriage. So divorce is the murder of this one person, it's a suicide.

In a society in which 50% or so of people commit suicide in the form of divorce, is it any wonder that we have high suicide rates?

Like I said before nobody is going to want to accept this, but that isn't a good enough reason to sweep it aside.

This is our problem, created by us.

To clarify are you suggesting that divorce is a suicide in itself because you are killing a person. That person being the union of the man and the woman that they formed when they married?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vronki

VinLieger wrote: »
    What is the op trying to say? Also im confused how they managed to bring in euthanasia and abortion in as causes of suicide?

Does abortion and euthanasia value human life? No it treats it as a burden, garbage. So don't be surprised if young people treat their own life this way. That's how it's related.

In other words, Being liberal about killing in whatever form is not going to give a good example to our youth. It's a contradiction.

Mazeire wrote: »
    To clarify are you suggesting that divorce is a suicide in itself because you are killing a person. That person being the union of the man and the woman that they formed when they married?

Spiritually, yes. If that claimed meta-physical is a reality, that indeed one person is created, then divorce is a murder of that one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Does abortion and euthanasia value human life? No it treats it as a burden, garbage. So don't be surprised if young people treat their own life this way. That's how it's related.

And can you offer even the slightest piece of evidence to back up these claims?

Suicide rates in Ireland have risen sharply since Pope Benedict XVI was given his fancy hat in 2005. I think he's to blame. His papacy created such a sense of despair in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In other words, Being liberal about killing in whatever form is not going to give a good example to our youth. It's a contradiction.

Honestly are you Ronan Mullen?

• Advertisement

Spiritually, yes. If that claimed meta-physical is a reality, that indeed one person is created, then divorce is a murder of that one person.

And would you then say that this suicide is contributing to the current statistics?

And can you offer even the slightest piece of evidence to back up these claims.

Suicide rates in Ireland have risen sharply since Pope Benedict XVI was given his fancy hat in 2005. I think he's to blame.

Pathetic. Nobody ever listened to him. The media sliced out controversial segments here and there. His was a message of life. I'm astounded at these dumb responses.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Pathetic. Nobody ever listened to him. The media sliced out controversial segments here and there. His was a message of life. I'm astounded at these dumb responses.
    You can't really claim the high ground here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,453 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, this is some of the worst pseudo-intellectual garbage I've ever read on boards. Well done OP, keep rockin' those mind boggling odd yet original Iona ideals - you provide much mirth and entertainment for the rest of us.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What is this "feminising" of men that's meant to be happening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This is one of the most laughable threads on After Hours in quite a while despite the subject matter.

My life is not structured around a warped Christian ideology like yours appears to be. Divorce is a natural conclusion to many marriages. To use the word suicide to describe this process is incorrect and insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Come back to me when you have watched someone you love die slowly and in agony, over the course of weeks, and then tell me that euthanasia doesn't value human life. I would consider myself the worst monster on the planet if I let my dog go through the death I had to watch my grandmother endure.

As for abortion, it places the value of life on the person already living and able to express an opinion about what they want. To force a woman to be a, a ****ing brood mare, and force her to carry and deliver a child she does not want is the exact meaning of placing no value on human life.

I have asked the OP this and he has not responded. As he posted it response to an article I posted which discussed the association of suicide in young men and the fact that they find it difficult to open up or speak about any issues that they may be experiencing, I'm presuming the OP means that my talking about their issues this turns men in to "pansy's". As you do.
    But I would like the OP to clarify.

This is one of the most laughable threads on After Hours in quite a while despite the subject matter.

My life is not structured around a warped Christian ideology like yours appears to be. Divorce is a natural conclusion to many marriages. To use the word suicide to describe this process is incorrect and insulting.

Most marriages are in Christian churches, so I'm afraid they are a lot more than that. And divorce is not natural, it's not supposed to happen - hence marriage vows.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,061 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Most marriages are in Christian churches, so I'm afraid they are a lot more than that. And divorce is not natural, it's not supposed to happen - hence marriage vows.

You have to be on a wind up

Master of the Universe

I think the OP doesn't like when men cry or show their emotions. They need to be bastions of the family unit and Christianity didn't you know? No room for tears there.

Once men start crying, the divorces begin - as what women wants a feminised man?

Before you know it, children are being aborted left right and centre, teens and young men are killing themselves, everyone euthanizes their parents for a quick way to their inheritance...it's shocking Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

What the......

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I disagree. The majority of animals do not pair for life, but 'divorce' after each breeding season. Therefore lifelong monogamy is unnatural.

Mazeire wrote: »
    I have asked the OP this and he has not responded. As he posted it response to an article I posted which discussed the association of suicide in young men and the fact that they find it difficult to open up or speak about any issues that they may be experiencing, I'm presuming the OP means that my talking about their issues this turns men in to "pansy's". As you do.
    But I would like the OP to clarify.

If you're blind to the masculine hating culture we've been harvesting in the west for the last 20 years, that's not my fault. Before the suicide rates in Ireland, men weren't open much at all. So it's not the cause, but an attempt to solve the problem. And as a result making men even more like women. To deny men of their masculinity is unjust, since you're messing with their identity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I don't think most people even hold this view, it took me like 3 pages of posts to figure out this is what you actually meant. So I would find it very strange if that is even a factor in the increase in suicide rates.
    You misunderstood my point. I am not saying divorce rates cause literal suicide with those who have actually divorced. That's a ridiculous idea. I am saying that high divorce rates is a form of high suicide rate. And so this generation mimicks the former.

Please don't twist my words around again, thanks.

I never suggested that you were claiming that divorce causes the divorced to commit suicide. Even if you are just talking about divorce in society being prevalent influencing people enough to commit suicide then you need to provide evidence of that if you want anybody to take you seriously.

The same with the abortion and the euthanasia argument. If you want anybody to take you seriously you need to provide actual evidence instead of justs statements of 'isn't it obvious' and 'it's no wonder'.

If you don't' provide evidence of this then your arguments are just going to be seen as ravings of a religious nut using suicide to push their agenda. (NOTE: I am not saying you are these things, you may not even be religious, but that's what you come across as).

• Advertisement

Most marriages are in Christian churches.

Again, further proof that the papacy of Pope Benedict is responsible for the increase in suicide rates over the last seven years.

Master of the Universe

Before the suicide rates in Ireland, men weren't open much at all.

Can you explain the above a bit more please? Are you saying that men didn't start killing themselves until modern society started hating masculinity?

I don't think most people even hold this view, it took me like 3 pages of posts to figure out this is what you actually meant. So I would find it very strange if that is even a factor in the increase in suicide rates.

I never suggested that you were claiming that divorce causes the divorced to commit suicide. Even if you are just talking about divorce in society being prevalent influencing people enough to commit suicide then you need to provide evidence of that if you want anybody to take you seriously.

The same with the abortion and the euthanasia argument. If you want anybody to take you seriously you need to provide actual evidence instead of justs statements of 'isn't it obvious' and 'it's no wonder'.

If you don't' provide evidence of this then your arguments are just going to be seen as ravings of a religious nut using suicide to push their agenda. (NOTE: I am not saying you are these things, you may not even be religious, but that's what you come across as).

And yet, you have no evidence to provide to support your beliefs. But only because it soothes the consciences of most here, people willingly accept it.

It's because people are in denial about the real causes of this, it continues.

Again, further proof that the papacy of Pope Benedict is responsible for the increase in suicide rates over the last seven years.

Bollocks. That's bot proof, that's just a ridiculous opinion with no statistics to back it up. Christian marriage causes high suicide rates, well I never. You are a joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,061 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If you're blind to the masculine hating culture we've been harvesting in the west for the last 20 years, that's not my fault. Before the suicide rates in Ireland, men weren't open much at all. So it's not the cause, but an attempt to solve the problem. And as a result making men even more like women

Yes, the increase in suicide rates is down to the emasculation of men... not the fact that until recently people were too ashamed to talk about losing loved ones to suicide, or the fact that suicide was often purposely not recorded as the cause of death due to stigma.
    To deny men of their masculinity is unjust, since you're messing with their identity.

Delicious irony

That's just a ridiculous opinion with no statistics to back it up.

Yeah, it's crazy when people do that, isn't it?

If you're blind to the masculine hating culture we've been harvesting in the west for the last 20 years, that's not my fault. Before the suicide rates in Ireland, men weren't open much at all. So it's not the cause, but an attempt to solve the problem. And as a result making men even more like women. To deny men of their masculinity is unjust, since you're messing with their identity.

You do realise that just because something wasn't being statistically documented, either because it wasn't possible or that people at that point in time just weren't interested in knowing, that doesn't automatically mean it wasn't happening, right? After all if you looked at Ireland 20 years ago you would have said that the instances of clerical sex abuse were miniscule to non existent because there were few to none at all documented, but we all know that was a pile of nonsense now don't we? I don't think that some chip triggered in all mens heads circa 1992 OP and they started killing them selves like lemmings. It's just that we as a society became more aware and developed the means wit which to educate and inform ourselves.
    Are you trying to say that suicide is a female coping mechanism?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

After last weeks gay abortion/marriage threads I dont think im up to getting involved in another of these but im deffinitely gonna enjoy watching it *gets popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I was originally angry at this, then I realised OP is the worst, most blatant WUM around here for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

And yet, you have no evidence to provide to support your beliefs. But only because it soothes the consciences of most here, people willingly accept it.

It's because people are in denial about the real causes of this, it continues.

I think you will find I have not once in this thread given an opinion on weather divorce, abortion or euthanasia are the cause of suicide. I stated once that I would be surprised if divorce turned out to be a factor but that is not me stating it is not.

If you make a claim it needs to be back up by evidence if you want people to even acknowledge it. Just stating that others can't prove you wrong is not evidence. The onus is always on the person making the claim to provide evidence.

Or as Hitchens put it:
    "That which is asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement