Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North vs South

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well that's it isn't it? You're the one talking about tries. Tries don't translate into good wingers. Otherwise you'd have Visser on most teams.

Brown's positional awareness and footballing is outstanding. People thought we'd be able to punish and out of position FB by kicking over his head, and we got punished for it. But let's take Brown out of the equation - what has Malz down recently to warrant being put ahead of Bowe, Ashton or even Zebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

.ak wrote: »
    Tries don't translate into good wingers.

No but its a help when can score.;)

Going in circles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

A few have left out Parisse. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Haven't seen many calls for the current Irish Captain, not even on the bench:D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

SH shout;

1. Mtawarira
    2. Adrian Strauss
    3. Franks
    4. Whitelock
    5. Horwill
    6. Higginbotham / Pocock (If pocock has ever played 6 i'd have him here)
    7. McCaw
    8. Read
    9. Genia
    10. Carter
    11. Habana
    12. Nonu
    13. Smith
    14. Folau
    15. Dagg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

My North

1. Cian Healy
    2. Richard Hibbard
    3. Adam Jones
    4. Alun Wyn Jones
    5. Paul O'Connell
    6. Thierry Dusatoir
    7. Sean O'Brien
    8. Toby Faletau
    9. Morgan Parra
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. George North
    12. Wesley Fofana
    13. Manu Tuilagi
    14. Tommy Bowe
    15. Leigh Halfpenny

My South

1. Tendai Mtawarira
    2. Bismark Du Plessis
    3. Owen Franks
    4. Eben Etzebeth
    5. James Horwill
    6. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe
    7. Richie McCaw
    8. Kieran Read
    9. Will Genia
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Julien Savea
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Cory Jane
    15. Israel Dagg

Haven't seen many calls for the current Irish Captain, not even on the bench:D

It's funny actually, because he outplayed Parisse and Picamoles this year. But you'd imagine that's down to being on a better team.

Picamoles is just a beast tho. For me he's the inform 8 in NH atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

1.Healy
    2.Hibbard
    3.Mas
    4.AWJ
    5.POC
    6.Dusautoir
    7.O'Brien
    8.Parisse
    9.Philipps
    10.Wilkinson
    11.North
    12.Fofana
    13.Tuilagi
    14.Venditti
    15.Halfpenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

BoarHunter wrote: »
    1.Healy
    2.Hibbard
    3.Mas
    4.AWJ
    5.POC
    6.Dusautoir
    7.O'Brien
    8.Parisse
    9.Philipps
    10.Wilkinson
    11.North
    12.Fofana
    13.Tuilagi
    14.Venditti
    15.Halfpenny

I don't know about Wilkinson, based on what I have seen this year he relies heavily on a dominant pack. I don't think hes a patch on Sexton anymore. There are also several scrum halves I would start before Phillips including your two scrumhalves Parra and Machenaud. Apart from those calls I like the look of your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't know about Wilkinson, based on what I have seen this year he relies heavily on a dominant pack. I don't think hes a patch on Sexton anymore. There are also several scrum halves I would start before Phillips including your two scrumhalves Parra and Machenaud. Apart from those calls I like the look of your team.

I'd go a step further and say having Wilkinson (and to an extent Phillips) in that backline would be an absolute travesty given the talent available, although having said that it isn't a patch on the potential SH backline..

Would love to see a match like this happen but I get the feeling it would turn out like the NFL Pro Bowl, with the players just jogging around to avoid injury. It wouldn't have the history and significance of something like the Lions

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, I reckon had Wilko toured with the Lions he'd be the number 1 OH. Just because that's the way Gatland played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

.ak wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I reckon had Wilko toured with the Lions he'd be the number 1 OH. Just because that's the way Gatland played.

I don't think so, you could say the same of Farrell and he barely got a sniff in the tests. Wilkson wouldn't have played the kicking game any better than Sexton did imo, just because he isn't (wasn't :() used like that for Leinster doesn't mean he is bad at it. If he played all season in a team that valued tactical kicking above all else, I'd wager we would be talking about how great he is with the boot. G&GR highlighted his tactical kicking before the tour and although most said they were ignoring his ability with ball in hand, they were spot on if that's how the assumed he would be used on this tour. If you want Sexton to play Wilkinson's game he is excellent at it

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't think so, you could say the same of Farrell and he barely got a sniff in the tests. Wilkson wouldn't have played the kicking game any better than Sexton did imo, just because he isn't (wasn't :() used like that for Leinster doesn't mean he is bad at it. If he played all season in a team that valued tactical kicking above all else, I'd wager we would be talking about how great he is with the boot. G&GR highlighted his tactical kicking before the tour and although most said they were ignoring his ability with ball in hand, they were spot on if that's how the assumed he would be used on this tour. If you want Sexton to play Wilkinson's game he is excellent at it

I don't disagree with any of that, but I reckon that's not how Gatty would've seen it. The fact he was looking to bring Wilko over other OH candidates was in itself a bit of a joke.

There's actually a fair shout that we'd have a Georgian representative at 3.

The Lions is over. Anyone referring to Gatland as Gatty is to be distrusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭twinytwo

bilston wrote: »
    Just the eight members of the worst team in the Six Nations then!

France - 8
    Ireland - 3
    Wales - 2
    Italy - 1
    Georgia - 1

Interesting breakdown given how the Six Nations and Lions tour panned out

Its a NH V SH 15... the who did what in the 6 nations has F all to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

twinytwo wrote: »
    Its a NH V SH 15... the who did what in the 6 nations has F all to do with it.

Fair enough I'm not going to waste my energy getting into a debate over a fictitious team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

SH:
    1. Wyatt Crockett
    2. Bismarck Du Plessis
    3. Owen Franks
    4. Eben Etzebeth
    5. James Horwill
    6. Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe
    7. Richie McCaw
    8. Kieran Read
    9. Kahn Fotuali'i
    10. Dan Carter
    11. Bryan Habana
    12. Ma'a Nonu
    13. Conrad Smith
    14. Ben Smith
    15. Israel Dagg

1 Samoan, 1 Australian, 1 Argentinian, 3 South Africans and 9 New Zealanders. Pretty much as I would guess it would go given the state of the teams.

Wings are the hardest to pick, Habana, Smith, Jane, Savea and Folau all very good.

Genia at 9 surely!?

Genia at 9 surely!?

He has some bad games. I've never seen Fotuali'i have a bad game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

matthew8 wrote: »
    He has some bad games. I've never seen Fotuali'i have a bad game.

Fotuali'i doesn't play at the same level as Genia. Genia is proven world class whereas Fotuali'i isn't.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Fotuali'i doesn't play at the same level as Genia. Genia is proven world class whereas Fotuali'i isn't.

Fotuali'i was world class at the 2011 world cup in a pool with SA and Wales in it. He's had no decline from then. They both clearly have all the tools, I just think Kahn makes fewer mistakes.

Advertisement