Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North vs South

Options
  • 21-04-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there is a thread like this, but id be interested to see the combinations.
    If you can pick a 22 man team from the northern 6 Nations to play a 22 man team from the southern 4 Nations (SA, NZ, Aus, Argentina), who would make your team?
    Can be anyone playing, even if currently on injury list.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I'm not sure I have the heart for this...sorry :o

But anyway, take the Lions team, substitute Parisse at 8, and Fofana at 12, and that would be a decent NH 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

1. Cian Healy
    2. Richardt Strauss
    3. Adam Jones
    4. Mamuka Gorgodze
    5. Paul O'Connell
    6. Thierry Dusatoir
    7. Justin Tipuric
    8. Sergio Parisse
    9. Morgan Parra
    10. Jonathan Sexton
    11. Simon Zebo
    12. Wesley Fofana
    13. Brian O'Driscoll
    14. Tommy Bowe
    15. Leigh Halfpenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can we have Gorgodze?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

tolosenc wrote: »
    Can we have Gorgodze?

He is from the Northern Hemisphere so why not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

tolosenc wrote: »
    Can we have Gorgodze?

No. Gorgodze will have us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Actually the more I think about it the better I like the idea. The Lions is an outmoded idea really, going back to a time when a team of British chaps would go on a jolly old tour of the colonies. North v South could replace the Lions every 4 years, alternating between hemispheres with countries taking turns at hosting the matches. It would be particularly good for the likes of Parisse, Gorgodze and some of the great Argentinian and, in particular, South Sea islanders, who never get to play on an international team with team mates who are on a par with themselves.

He is from the Northern Hemisphere so why not :D

He's not in the 6 Nations.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Actually the more I think about it the better I like the idea. The Lions is an outmoded idea really, going back to a time when a team of British chaps would go on a jolly old tour of the colonies. North v South could replace the Lions every 4 years, alternating between hemispheres with countries taking turns at hosting the matches. It would be particularly good for the likes of Parisse, Gorgodze and some of the great Argentinian and, in particular, South Sea islanders, who never get to play on an international team with team mates who are on a par with themselves.

I think a 6 Nations All Stars vs Rugby Championship All Stars might happen in the not too distant future. The likes of Gorgodze and the Samoans might have to wait, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

North

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Jones
    4. Wyn-Jones
    5. O'Connell
    6. Dusatoir
    7. O'Brien
    8. Parisse

9. Parra
    10. Sexton
    11. Cuthbert
    12. Fofana
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Halfpenny

South My current knowledge of SH players is pretty bad so excuse the bad picks
    1. Tonga'uiha
    2. du Plessis
    3. Franks
    4. Whitelock
    5. Horwill
    6. Lobbe
    7. McCaw
    8. Reid

9. Genia
    10. Carter
    11. Habana
    12. Steyn
    13. Smith
    14. O'Connor
    15. Dagg

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    North

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Jones
    4. Wyn-Jones
    5. O'Connell
    6. Dusatoir
    7. O'Brien
    8. Parisse

9. Parra
    10. Sexton
    11. Cuthbert
    12. Fofana
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Halfpenny

South My current knowledge of SH players is pretty bad so excuse the bad picks
    1. Tonga'uiha
    2. du Plessis
    3. Franks
    4. Whitelock
    5. Horwill
    6. Lobbe
    7. McCaw
    8. Reid

9. Genia
    10. Carter
    11. Habana
    12. Steyn
    13. Smith
    14. O'Connor
    15. Dagg

Id play Giteau at 12 then that team would be seriously dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

that's funny Parra is in all the starting XV when he's not even a certain pick for France. Anyway i would pick Venditti ahead of bowe any day. in backrow i would pick gorgodzilla, parisse, Dusautoir and Picamoles. Nicolas Mas would be in there. A rested castrogiovanni. fofana of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

1. Healy
    2. Ghiraldini
    3. Mas
    4. Maestri
    5. POC
    6. Gorgodze (honourable mention to Zanni who is the most underrated player in the NH)
    7. Dusatoir (people picking him at 6 but he's a genuine openside. The French and the Saffa's are confused;))
    8. Picamoles
    9. Parra (how PSA picks Machenaud or Michalak ahead of him is a mystery)
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Fofana
    13. Rougerie or BOD
    14. Malzieu (haven't seen much of him recently but....)
    15. Halfpenny

Not gonna do the whole south team but a backline of

9. Genia
    10. Carter
    11. Folau
    12. Nonu
    13. Smith
    14. Savea
    15. Dagg

would be un-be-liev-able!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

All Blacks vs Rest of world please

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

corny wrote: »
    1. Healy
    2. Ghiraldini
    3. Mas
    4. Maestri
    5. POC
    6. Gorgodze (honourable mention to Zanni who is the most underrated player in the NH)
    7. Dusatoir (people picking him at 6 but he's a genuine openside. The French and the Saffa's are confused;))
    8. Picamoles
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Fofana
    13. Rougerie or BOD
    15. Halfpenny

9. Genia
    10. Carter
    11. Folau
    12. Nonu
    13. Smith
    14. Savea
    15. Dagg

would be un-be-liev-able!

I'm a big fan of Malzieu, but he's not a world class wing. I'd have Bowe, Brown, Fitzgerald, Zebo, Ashton all ahead of him.

They did it in cricket a few years back the number 1 ranked team vs the rest of the world. Australia dominated, but thought it would be a good concept to roll out every 4 years into rugby.

.ak wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Malzieu, but he's not a world class wing. I'd have Bowe, Brown, Fitzgerald, Zebo, Ashton all ahead of him.

He's not but Mike Brown (makeshift wing is) is.:confused:

Each to their own i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

1. Healy
    2. Ghiraldini
    3. Mas
    4. Maestri
    5. POC
    8. Picamoles
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Fofana
    13. Rougerie or BOD
    15. Halfpenny

Just the eight members of the worst team in the Six Nations then!

France - 8
    Ireland - 3
    Wales - 2
    Italy - 1
    Georgia - 1

Interesting breakdown given how the Six Nations and Lions tour panned out

1. Crockett
    2. du Plessis
    3. Franks
    4. Whitelock
    5. Retallick
    6. Lobbe
    7. McCaw (C)
    8. Reid

9.Genia
    10.Carter
    11.Savea
    12.Nonu
    13.Smith
    14.Jane
    15.Dagg

He's not but Mike Brown (makeshift wing is) is.:confused:

Each to their own i suppose.

Mike Brown is a class back three player. Even on the wing he'd be a better player than Malz, who's dreadfully limited at times.

The biggest issue with Malzieu is he's never utilized correctly. He's not an out n out speedster and doesn't have the x factory, but he's an extremely big lad and is a clever footballer. He needs to be popping up in midfield and used on short ball strikes. His bulk is never utilized because the French team don't play like that. He was a different animal for Clermont though who like to play like 15 panzers at times.

Anyway as the other poster said, 8 French is far too many, surely the majority should be Welsh.

• Advertisement

Just for the laugh I'd go with these lads

1. Healy
    2. Hibbard
    3. Jones
    4. AWJ
    5. POC
    6. SOB
    7. Warburton
    8. Picamoles
    9. Parra
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Fofana
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Halfpenny

16. Strauss
    17. Corbs
    18. Castro
    19. Maestri
    20. Zanni
    21. Murray
    22. Farrell
    23. Zebo

Mike Brown is a class back three player. Even on the wing he'd be a better player than Malz, who's dreadfully limited at times.

How so? And Mike Brown is a class FB.
    Anyway as the other poster said, 8 French is far too many, surely the majority should be Welsh.

Why because they've a good coach? I'd rather pick on who i think is more capable.

French players i picked and their Welsh counterparts
    Mas V Jones. Mas can scrummage and he contributes more in open play (just).
    Maestri V Wyn Jones. Not much in it. Personal preference.
    Dusatoir V Warburton. Dusatoir for me. Warburton has a good game every now and again. Doesn't bother his arse at club level either.
    Picamoles V Faletau. I like Faletau but Picamoles was outstanding in NZ.
    Parra V Phillips. No contest.
    Fofana V Roberts.
    Malzieu V Cuthbert. If Malzieu is dreadfully limited i'd like to hear your assessment of Cuthbert.

If you change all the above to Welshmen as a reward for their one good performance against England in the 6 nations you weaken the team. Sure Ireland beat them why not make the majority Irish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who are the best tight heads playing today?

Who are the best tight heads playing today?

Jones, Cole, Mas, Castro?

How so? And Mike Brown is a class FB.

Why because they've a good coach? I'd rather pick on who i think is more capable.

French players i picked and their Welsh counterparts
    Mas V Jones. Mas can scrummage and he contributes more in open play (just).
    Maestri V Wyn Jones. Not much in it. Personal preference.
    Dusatoir V Warburton. Dusatoir for me. Warburton has a good game every now and again. Doesn't bother his arse at club level either.
    Picamoles V Faletau. I like Faletau but Picamoles was outstanding in NZ.
    Parra V Phillips. No contest.
    Fofana V Roberts.
    Malzieu V Cuthbert. If Malzieu is dreadfully limited i'd like to hear your assessment of Cuthbert.

If you change all the above to Welshmen as a reward for their one good performance against England in the 6 nations you weaken the team. Sure Ireland beat them why not make the majority Irish.

I'm afraid we can't lay all of France's woes at their coaches doorstep. They were truly awful this year and the players need to put their hand up. AWJ is a better lock than Maestri imo. Maestri is athletic, but AWJ has the smarts and is a beast around the pitch.

I'd have Malzieu in my club team over Cuthbert any day, but Cuthbert still has produced the goods in the big stage where Malzieu has not. Malzieu is limited in the sense I've already outlined, he doesn't have top end speed, doesn't have a turn or step to beat defenders, he's a big unit with decent hands that's it.

Regarding Dusatoir vs Warburton, I'd be a bigger fan of Dusatoir also, but there's no changing the fact he's been fairly awful this year whilst Warburton stepped up when required in the 2nd test of the Lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

My shout;

1. Healy
    2. Hibbard
    3. Mas
    4. AWJ
    5. POC
    6. Dusautoir
    7. Warburton
    8. Picamoles
    9. Parra
    10. Sexton
    11. North
    12. Fofana
    13. BOD
    14. Bowe
    15. Halfpenny

16. Youngs
    17. Corbs
    18. Castro
    19. Parling
    20. SOB
    21. Murray
    22. Farrell
    23. Zebo

I think Dusautoir at 6 gives that back row a nice balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Oh ok then

15 Halfpenny
    14 Bowe
    13 Tuilagi (sorry BOD)
    12 Fofana
    11 North
    10 Sexton
    9 Parra
    1 Healy
    2 Youngs
    3 Jones
    4 AWJ
    5 O'Connell
    6 Ferris (well the OP said everyone was fit!)
    7 Warburton
    8 Parisse (yeah you could go with Picamoles but stick Parisse in this team and he'd be incredible)

I'd have Malzieu in my club team over Cuthbert any day, but Cuthbert still has produced the goods in the big stage where Malzieu has not. Malzieu is limited in the sense I've already outlined, he doesn't have top end speed, doesn't have a turn or step to beat defenders, he's a big unit with decent hands that's it.

What are you talking about? Malzieu has a super step for a big lad and is an excellent finisher. One on one he's a real threat. Also, you criticise him for not producing it on the big stage yet you're willing to go with Mike Brown, amongst others, instead.:confused: Tell me how many times has Mike played wing or scored a try from the wing?
    Regarding Dusatoir vs Warburton, I'd be a bigger fan of Dusatoir also, but there's no changing the fact he's been fairly awful this year whilst Warburton stepped up when required in the 2nd test of the Lions.

I'm not trying to be offensive here but you can use whatever criteria you like. Thats the beauty of these imaginary teams. Like i said I'd rather pick on who i think is more capable. Dusatoir with 38 tackles and a try in the biggest game of them all is capable of stepping up to the mark. He's the better player as far as i'm concerned.

Malzieu can't even get onto the French team when fit? Like I said, I'm a big fan, but he's far from World Class. Brown has that x-factor and has looked good anytime he's stepped onto the wing.

• Advertisement

Brown has that x-factor and has looked good anytime he's stepped onto the wing.

Apologies for dragging this out but seriously. He hasn't scored a try at international level. I think you can count on one hand the amount of times he's even played on the wing. The best you can say about him is he suits the English style because he has excellent positional awareness compared to other wings. The English back three crucifying us in the 6N's the best example.

He's a good FB with Quins though.

Advertisement