Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Happy Mothers Day to all the December Mammies!!! Hope you're all doing something nice to celebrate x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

HL I'm just curious - with twins, do you feed them both at at the same time? And if so, how?

HL I'm just curious - with twins, do you feed them both at at the same time? And if so, how?

I feed them either together or within 20/30 mins of each other. They are in a pretty regular routine now so I know when they will be due a feed and can be organised. When they were very small I would either sit on the bed or the corner of the couch with my knees bent in front of me and lie them at each side one on each side with their head resting on my thigh. Now they are bigger with more head control I can feed them in their rockers, I sit on the floor with my back against the sofa, baby on each side in rocker, bottle in each hand. I wind by either turning each one over across my thighs or literally by winding each for a few mins in turn, one then the other, then back to the first and so on til they both wind. As long as you are organised to avoid delays and then screaming times two its grand.

In the beginning I had special pillows etc but the easiest way is just one lying against each thigh. If they want to feed at different times its usually only within 20 mins. If one kicks off while I am feeding the other I will have their bottle to hand and just put the one I'm feeding into the rocker and off we go. Even if only one wants to feed I still heat 2 bottles and just have the second one a bit hotter so that it can cool and be ready for the other one. If they feed separately I feed in my arms and each get cuddles.

If we are tied for time like if we have to be somewhere I will feed both, even if just one was looking fir grub. 9 times out of 10 the other will happily feed anyway and then we're all one the one schedule which is great!

Us twin mammies are very resourceful! And thankfully I have quick feeders! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Have any of the December mammies started to intriduce solids yet? My little guy just started this week after a chat with the PHN. He had hit a growth spurt (and he is a big baby anyway), he was nursing day and night and never seemed satisfied and his sleeping patterns had changed. After debating whether to introduce a bottle of formula or some solids - we decided to slowly introduce food and I must say he is LOVING it so far!

He has tried pureed potatoes, carrots, avocados and bananas and he loves everything - seriously cant get enough! In fact - i had to feed him a little of an ellas kitchen pouch the other day because when the pureed banana i had prepared was gone - he was screeching for more and all i had on hand was an emergency pouch of that. He likes the carrot best and acted so strange after wards like he was so delighted with himself - smiling away and making little contented sounds!

Its quite an adventure but exciting - I just need to get a bit more prepared with the pre planning! Over the next few days we are going to try apple and sweet potato :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

That's so exciting closifer! I'm resisting til she's as close to 6 months as possible. I'm really interested to read your experience though. Was there anything that didn't work out? How thin did you make the purées also?

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    That's so exciting closifer! I'm resisting til she's as close to 6 months as possible. I'm really interested to read your experience though. Was there anything that didn't work out? How thin did you make the purées also?

So far foodwise everything has worked out bar baby rice! TBH I dont blame him for not really wanting it - it looks so tasteless and bland compared to the fresh fruit and veg purees so I dont think I will bother with it except maybe to thicken pear puree or something like that. I was reading some people saying on the la leche league boards that they dont really recommend it anyway as its starchy and there are better ways of them getting their carbs than baby rice.

Basically I am just making my way through Annabel Karmel's list of Stage 1 baby foods and once he has tried most of them and is okay with them - I will start combining flavours. I dont think that it has actually made any impact at all on how much breastmilk he is consuming. He is feeding SO much for the last 10 days and he is also EXTREMELY cranky.

He is definitely teething but his sleep patterns are all messed up too and he is gone back to never wanting to be oput down - not interested in his baby gym or sitting in his play nest for more than 3 minutes - just wants to be up in arms - its exhausting. I googled the sleep thing and apparently there is a thing called 4 month sleep regression that can happen around this time - so maybe overtiredness paired with teething has him a bit out of sorts.

Anyone else experiencing a crankier than usual LO? Such a pity too as we had just started getting into a daily routine and things had been getting easier...sigh

I'm hoping to start my two on solids next week. They won't be 4 months til the 19th but I ferl they are ready. Also it might help their reflux and if it means I can get them off meds sooner then I'm all for it. There is a small chance it might make the reflux worse but if so I would rather know sooner thsn later. We are going away for a month in May and I want to have them either well on their way to solids or know that it's not time yet. I just want to kmow.one way or another before we head off.

I'm hoping to start my two on solids next week. They won't be 4 months til the 19th but I ferl they are ready. Also it might help their reflux and if it means I can get them off meds sooner then I'm all for it. There is a small chance it might make the reflux worse but if so I would rather know sooner thsn later. We are going away for a month in May and I want to have them either well on their way to solids or know that it's not time yet. I just want to kmow.one way or another before we head off.

in pretty much the same boat as you Hello Lady! My baba started 2 days before he was 16 weeks. The PHN had checked him over and didnt see there being any issue though.

I am also going on hols in May and I am hoping to have a decent eating routine established b4 we head off.

Carrots are a BIG hit with my little fella so that might be a good place to start if u are going down the homemade route! Plus it freezes well so you can do a batch easy enough.

closifer wrote: »
    in pretty much the same boat as you Hello Lady! My baba started 2 days before he was 16 weeks. The PHN had checked him over and didnt see there being any issue though.

I am also going on hols in May and I am hoping to have a decent eating routine established b4 we head off.

Carrots are a BIG hit with my little fella so that might be a good place to start if u are going down the homemade route! Plus it freezes well so you can do a batch easy enough.

Going to start with pureed pear poached in their formula. If that doesn't kick off the reflux then we will be on our way. Don't think I'll bother with baby rice as I have been told its just empty calories and would much prefer to give as little processed stuff as possible. But on advice from others I will try to get them to take the odd jar/pouch of food for those times when in an emergency you need them to take something ready prepared. I'm also going with Annabel Karmel as I hear great things about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

Hi all, how is everyone getting on? The weeks are absolutely flying..little boy 14weeks today. He is definitely teething, I can't see white buds but he is dribbling like crazy, seems irritable and trying to put everything in his mouth and seems in pain sometimes. I made the move to his own room last night, I was finding it so hard creeping around trying to be quiet with his cot in our room plus I was getting really annoyed with hubbie everytime he moved or snored as he would wake little fella up (usually as I was just putting him back into the cot as he'd fallen asleep!!)

Anyway the night was great, he slept a full 8hrs straight which is the best night so far, think it helped him not being woken by us creeping around the room to be honest! I had been reading a lot about sleep training as he isn't very good at soothing himself back to sleep and cries if he wakes up during the night (I have to feed him at least once during the night). Can I ask how your babies are sleeping? Do they go through the night? He is breastfed. I know at his age (and size-he's 18lb already!) he should be able to get through the night without a feed. I tend to feed him and he goes straight back to sleep, unless he wakes when I return him to the cot and then I have to rock him back to sleep which may take a few attempts!
    Anyway...last night when he woke after 8hr stint at 4am I fed him, he woke when I put him down so I thought I'd try the controlled crying where you let them cry and pop back at intervals of 3,5,10mins etc. Anyway I planned on trying it but was hesitant as it was his first night in his own room plus I was worried he may be too young? Anyway, all I managed was 20 minutes in total as it was so hard listening to him crying plus I was worried about waking the neighbours!! Has anyone used this method of sleep training? Would be great to hear of others experiences! Thanks ;)

Babies aren't meant to sleep through...it's great to get that occasional night of 6-8 hours, but their cycle is so much shorter than ours for a couple of years...
    and they go through so many developmental leaps then & separation anxiety stages that they are always changing sleep pattern...
    they are always crying for something, even if it feels like they are just being fussy...
    and I know at 3am it sounds so good just to let them cry for a bit then settle them & repeat...but all they want and need is you to soothe them
    ...then they'll sleep through for a couple of nights & next minute they learn a new thing during the day, like grabbing a toy, sitting up, crawling, first steps & they are unsettled again all night long....
    You soothing them makes them calm and more trusting in the future, not spoiling them...babies don't spoil...not responding to their cry makes them anxious & when they do eventually stop its because they learn nobody is coming

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/fussy-baby/letting-baby-cry-it-out-yes-no

Would you consider co-sleeping, even take the side off the cot & attach it to your side of the bed? Like a bed extension?

I know its exhausting, but you do get used t it! :)
    My 9 yr old is a fantastic sleeper from the age of 2........
    .....my two year old is a terrible sleeper and then sometimes sleeps great
    .........and our 14 week old feeds his last feed (breastfed) at 21:30 (cluster feeds from 20:00 - 21:30)
    .....then settles until around 2:30-3am where he doesn't really wake up fully & we dream feed in the bed & if I'm awake by the time he's finished I'll slide him back over to his 'sidecar' cot, but mostly we're still together when I wake at 7am
    ...and then he stays put in bed until I wake him to get ready to leave the house at 8am

All this will change soon I know though, as I know to expect disruption soon after a nice routine is established ;)

Oh & the boy absolutely is addicted to the boob...but mine all were & they're happy & healthy & it did them no harm to need the boob (& then a soother in later stages) to help them settle...they all had the soother binned by 14 months & didn't miss it either

• Advertisement

Babies aren't meant to sleep through...it's great to get that occasional night of 6-8 hours, but their cycle is so much shorter than ours for a couple of years...
    and they go through so many developmental leaps then & separation anxiety stages that they are always changing sleep pattern...
    they are always crying for something, even if it feels like they are just being fussy...
    and I know at 3am it sounds so good just to let them cry for a bit then settle them & repeat...but all they want and need is you to soothe them
    ...then they'll sleep through for a couple of nights & next minute they learn a new thing during the day, like grabbing a toy, sitting up, crawling, first steps & they are unsettled again all night long....
    You soothing them makes them calm and more trusting in the future, not spoiling them...babies don't spoil...not responding to their cry makes them anxious & when they do eventually stop its because they learn nobody is coming

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/fussy-baby/letting-baby-cry-it-out-yes-no

Would you consider co-sleeping, even take the side off the cot & attach it to your side of the bed? Like a bed extension?

.........and our 14 week old feeds his last feed (breastfed) at 21:30 (cluster feeds from 20:00 - 21:30)
    .....then settles until around 2:30-3am where he doesn't really wake up fully & we dream feed in the bed & if I'm awake by the time he's finished I'll slide him back over to his 'sidecar' cot, but mostly we're still together when I wake at 7am
    ...and then he stays put in bed until I wake him to get ready to leave the house at 8am

All this will change soon I know though, as I know to expect disruption soon after a nice routine is established ;)

Oh & the boy absolutely is addicted to the boob...but mine all were & they're happy & healthy & it did them no harm to need the boob (& then a soother in later stages) to help them settle...they all had the soother binned by 14 months & didn't miss it either

Totally agree with you regarding soothing babies isn't spoiling. I am not a fan of the cry it out technique either. Having said that I think it does no harm for them to have to learn to wait a minute or two - obviously not if they're distressed - but if they're just having a whinge. But maybe thats because I have two and its a necessity. Also you don't have to leap at every little whimper or whinge, does no harm to wait a minute. Sometimes ine of mine will whimper or fuss for a few seconds but still be asleep. A few seconds later and they're quiet again.

disagree about sleeping through though and crying. It depends on the baby. My two ate not really criers unless something is wrong. They're really not often 'fussy'. So when they went through a week of crying despite lots of people telling me they were just 'fussy' and its what babies do I knew it was something else. Turns out they had silent reflux and their throats were burned from the acid. Since that's all been resolved they sleep from 11 to 7. They go to bed at 9pm but have a dream feed at 11 so thats when I count from. I know there will be times when they won't sleep and their routine will change several times as they develop but they seem to be like their dad - love their grub and their bed!

Totally agree with you regarding soothing babies isn't spoiling. I am not a fan of the cry it out technique either. Having said that I think it does no harm for them to have to learn to wait a minute or two - obviously not if they're distressed - but if they're just having a whinge. But maybe thats because I have two and its a necessity. Also you don't have to leap at every little whimper or whinge, does no harm to wait a minute. Sometimes ine of mine will whimper or fuss for a few seconds but still be asleep. A few seconds later and they're quiet again.

disagree about sleeping through though and crying. It depends on the baby. My two ate not really criers unless something is wrong. They're really not often 'fussy'. So when they went through a week of crying despite lots of people telling me they were just 'fussy' and its what babies do I knew it was something else. Turns out they had silent reflux and their throats were burned from the acid. Since that's all been resolved they sleep from 11 to 7. They go to bed at 9pm but have a dream feed at 11 so thats when I count from. I know there will be times when they won't sleep and their routine will change several times as they develop but they seem to be like their dad - love their grub and their bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

I don't think thee is such thing as a fussy baby either, but unfortunately it seems to be the first thing someone says to you if you even dare mention your baby has spent long periods of time crying
    My 2 yr old, actually has another 2 weeks until she turns 2 :) but anyway, she roared nearly every night (with random good nights thrown in) since she was a baby...I knew there was something up with her, she was my 2nd child but I believe a mama just knows anyway!
    Endless trips to GP, then the peadiatrician, both went along the 'fussy' baby route, I was very annoyed with that..so a few weeks ago after an appointment with the pead physio & an xray it turns out she has a wonky hip that is causing some pain
    So definitely always trust your mama instincts...with my eldest I knew & now my 14 week old, I know, unsettled nights are normal...you have to trust your gut & hear their cry for whatever reason, grumpy, lonely or sick

Hello Lady, I hope your little ones are doing well now that their reflux has been diagnosed? Was their weight gain okay before diagnosis, or did you find it hard to keep a feed in them? My toddler has feeding problems since birth, not getting any better even now, so I know its awful to be thinking all the time of how to keep them from feeling hungry or developing an association between food & pain!

I don't think thee is such thing as a fussy baby either, but unfortunately it seems to be the first thing someone says to you if you even dare mention your baby has spent long periods of time crying
    My 2 yr old, actually has another 2 weeks until she turns 2 :) but anyway, she roared nearly every night (with random good nights thrown in) since she was a baby...I knew there was something up with her, she was my 2nd child but I believe a mama just knows anyway!
    Endless trips to GP, then the peadiatrician, both went along the 'fussy' baby route, I was very annoyed with that..so a few weeks ago after an appointment with the pead physio & an xray it turns out she has a wonky hip that is causing some pain
    So definitely always trust your mama instincts...with my eldest I knew & now my 14 week old, I know, unsettled nights are normal...you have to trust your gut & hear their cry for whatever reason, grumpy, lonely or sick

Hello Lady, I hope your little ones are doing well now that their reflux has been diagnosed? Was their weight gain okay before diagnosis, or did you find it hard to keep a feed in them? My toddler has feeding problems since birth, not getting any better even now, so I know its awful to be thinking all the time of how to keep them from feeling hungry or developing an association between food & pain!

thanks! Yes thank god they're both doing great. In the 50th percentile at their 3 month check. Up to about 12 weeks they were a little bit smaller than most but not so much as to cause concern - they were 5lb12oz and 6lb2oz at birth so had a little but of catching up to do which they have done.

Don't ask me how but I knew from about 4 weeks something wasn't right. So I was on the lookout. I was a bit too quick to acquiesce to the GP at first and was agreeing to the 'wait and see' approach, ruling out constipation, wind etc. By week 6 the back arching, screaming when trying to swallow, clawing, crying more than usual etc started and I decided to put them on gaviscon myself. It helped a bit but not enough. By week 7 they were in bits and we had one full day when both literally screamed for the whole day and absolutely nothing calmed them so we went to temple street. The acid had damaged their throats hence the worse than normal crying. I just knew it was reflux from about 5 weeks so it was a relief to have someone confirm that YES there IS something wrong, you are not an uptight first time mum. So in that way we were lucky to get a diagnosis so early. We had about 10 days before we found the right meds and dose, but touch wood they have been immeasurably better since. Two of the happiest smiliest babies going. Because I was lucky with the early enough diagnosis they never got adverse to taking a bottle - they would struggle and scream sometimes but still fed and thats probably why they didn't struggle to gain weight. The screaming and upset did make breastfeeding quite traumatic though so despite wanting to nurse longer I just couldn't cope with it when reflux was bad.

but thank god we've turned that corner now and I even think we might be able to reduce their meds soon, fingers crossed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Hi All Dec mammies, thank you so much for your replies, only just getting to read them now!! Its great to hear real mums opinions rather than reading too many things in books and feeling under pressure.

Am learning baby does what he wants when he is ready! In a space of a week he has taken the bottle (had a visit from granny and she tried and he took it and we've been able to give him a bottle a day since!) which I'm delighted about as it means a possible break/night out one time soon I hope!! That leads me on to another question...I said id stop breastfeeding at 3montha but now I'm going to go to 6 months. How do you replace boob with bottle? I will keep morning and evening feed and replace everything else with bottle. Do I gradually just replace feeds per week so next week it will be 2 bottles a day and the following 3 etc? Just wonder how slowly to do it!

Another step is he took a soother!! I had a night where he woke up so much more regularly than usual and I had fed him each time and spent hours rocking him that I thought I'll just try the soother, I had to rock him with it and hold it in place for a bit but in the end he took it!! So now he isn't feeding at night and is just using the dummy its great! I think he just wanted the sucking rather than food. To mammies that LOs use soothers-are they able to put soother back in when it falls out or is that something they not able to do until they are a lot older??

One more question-in this weather what do you have baby in at night? I was still dressing him in vest, sleepsuit and his 2.5tog sleep bag but it only occurred to me last night maybe he's boiling as his room is quite warm (21degrees with no radiator on!) so I took his vest off so not sure if that was the problem all along!! Am off to buy a 1tog sleep bag today for the warmer weather!!

Thanks again ladies!!

Delighted for you that he's taking the bottle afternoon tea :-) it'll give you the chance to get a break from time to time at least! It's funny you mention night clothes. I was trying to put herself down last night and she started rejecting the boob and crying but not in her usual way. Don't know what made check but I stripped her down and she was sweating! I used to have a long sleeved vest, babygro and 2.5 tog bag on her with the rad on full blast for two hours. Switched off the rad and swapped for short sleeved vest and she had a feed and went off to sleep much happier. Think I'll hold onto the heavier bag with lighter layers and rad on less/ lower til it picks up a bit more temp wise. Guess you just have to see what works for your little guy - they have they're ways of letting you know if they're happy that's for sure :-)
    Have to say she's an average sized baby and I can't see her getting 6 months out of the grobag!
    She's started talking a lot more lately. When she wakes in the cot she just babbles away. The intonation is hilarious :-)

Delighted for you that he's taking the bottle afternoon tea :-) it'll give you the chance to get a break from time to time at least! It's funny you mention night clothes. I was trying to put herself down last night and she started rejecting the boob and crying but not in her usual way. Don't know what made check but I stripped her down and she was sweating! I used to have a long sleeved vest, babygro and 2.5 tog bag on her with the rad on full blast for two hours. Switched off the rad and swapped for short sleeved vest and she had a feed and went off to sleep much happier. Think I'll hold onto the heavier bag with lighter layers and rad on less/ lower til it picks up a bit more temp wise. Guess you just have to see what works for your little guy - they have they're ways of letting you know if they're happy that's for sure :-)
    Have to say she's an average sized baby and I can't see her getting 6 months out of the grobag!
    She's started talking a lot more lately. When she wakes in the cot she just babbles away. The intonation is hilarious :-)

Yeah the chatting is hilarious-I swear sometimes it sounds like he says 'mam/mum' ?!! Ha! It's such a lovely age now where they are smiling lots, when I go in to his room in the morning and he's lying there with a big smile on his face it totally makes up for lack of sleep during the night!! Granny got a laugh out of him but we haven't had one since!

That's funny about layers/gro bag..I may buy some sleeveless vests too just that bit cooler. Also noticed his legs are at the bottom of 0-6 month growbag (dunnes one I think) although he is in 6-9month clothes already so that makes sense I suppose!

Omg 9 months! I'm surprised you still get him into the 6 month grobag. As I said our lo is just bang on average gets the 3 months out of each set of clothes and she's filling it.
    Also , I can't seem to keep up with the rate her nails grow! Lost my baby clippers so trying to file them down with an emery board. Do you ladies have any good tactics for nail clipping?

My god I know, I end up cutting his nails 2-3 times a week, and he still ends up scratching his face as I can't seem to get to cut them fully. I use the baby scissors when he's sleeping or distracted looking at something! Weird thing is I've never had to do his toenails, do they grow slower I wonder?

I noticed the other 0-6 month grow bags we got as gifts are massive-really long so I think he'll get longer out of those ones! I put all his old clothes up in the attic the other day, they look so teeny tiny now its mad!!

My girls are almost 16 weeks and can't put the doodie back in their mouth. They cantake it out alright and hold it but can't get it bsck in yet. They are starting to get the hang of it butoften put the wrong bit in. They are teething and A seems quite happy sometimes to chew onthe plastic bit rather than suck it! If that doesn't work she just sticks her thumb in but Mammy is desperately trying to stop that from becoming a habit! She is also generally more into the doodie than her sister and goes to sleep with one hand holding it in place and the other rubbing her ear! Cutest thing ever to watch.

I tried the sleep bags but don't think they're a great idea actually. I have gone back to cellular blankets. I know they're supposed to be safer as kids can't get them over their face but my two don't sleep as well in them. I put them down in short sleeved vest, sleepsuit, cellular blanket doubled and a single cellular blanket. They can kick the covers if too warm. E really really hates to be too warm and would rather be cold so she won't settle if she's too warm. I might try the sleep bags again vwhen they're older but sticking to blankets for now. Sometimes I put socks on A under her jammies as her feet get quite cold but not always, only if its a cold night.

• Advertisement

That's adorable HL! It's so funny to watch how they comfort themselves.
    In fairness you never get told in hospital that the bags are safer. The official line seems to be cellulars (though I guess they focus on the care of newborns in hospital). You can only do what works for you and your baby (ies) really can't you?
    I'm finding solace in the fact that babies can go for the thumb even with a soother. I've relaxed a bit from obsessing about thumb sucking. I figure there's not a whole lot I can do to control the little hands til she's older and can understand what I say. Seems to be more into finger chewing at the minute anyway. HL, how do you recognise teething? I can't decide if it's teething or just putting things in her mouth cos she can.

That's adorable HL! It's so funny to watch how they comfort themselves.
    In fairness you never get told in hospital that the bags are safer. The official line seems to be cellulars (though I guess they focus on the care of newborns in hospital). You can only do what works for you and your baby (ies) really can't you?
    I'm finding solace in the fact that babies can go for the thumb even with a soother. I've relaxed a bit from obsessing about thumb sucking. I figure there's not a whole lot I can do to control the little hands til she's older and can understand what I say. Seems to be more into finger chewing at the minute anyway. HL, how do you recognise teething? I can't decide if it's teething or just putting things in her mouth cos she can.

hands in mouth and a bit of dribbling and blowing bubbles is a developmental stage. But you will know when its teething as they start to gnaw on things, chew the doodie, mine kind of suck the doodie in and out and push it with their tongue as if they are trying to rub their itchy gums. Dribbling kicks into overdrive. The extra dribble is more acidic so might make their bum a bit red. Red cheeks, temp, grizzly etc are all signs of teeth. Chewing in the bottle rather than feeding properly.

I got gummee gloves for my two, one has the hang of it but would rather chew the hand wothout the glove :rolleyes: the other lady uses the glove but generally just wants cuddles and to sleep when teeth are irritating her.

Mine have had mild teething symptoms from 7 weeks and have been able to see white buds since then. But only in the last 4 weeks or so has it been painful for them at times. No sign of cutting yet though, just lots of itching gums and darts of pain. Thank god they're old enough now for paracetamol - the first week of real discomfort was tough as they were too young for anything.

Thanks for that! God love the poor things it's the worst kind of pain as well. Those gummee gloves sound interesting I must look out for them. I want to get one of the teethers you cool in the fridge too. A friend got us Lamaze finger puppets that have knotted strings all over to chew on. My lo finds them easy to hold and bring to her mouth. So far she seems to be exploring things by trying to put them in her mouth. Going to watch a bit more closely now to see if she's gnawing or rubbing at an itch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

My little monster has my heart broke trying to keep clothes on him overnight, I was using a winter grow bag, then switched to a summer one but he was waking up in the middle of the night kicking until I took it off him, same with blankets. He sleeps in a short sleeved vest with PJs on and most nights seems to kick off his socks but he seems happy out so I've given up trying to cover him. I know I run very hot so it looks like he's taking after me.

He can also get the doodie back in his mouth as long as it's fallen on his chest. I'm not worried about him taking up his thumb he'll find a way if he really wants to. I know when I was suppose to give up my doodies when I was four, I actually hid a number of them and my mother didn't realise till a few months later! And I just moved on to my thumb as soon as she took that stash away.

He seems to have started on the road to teething, he had been putting everything in his mouth but now seems to be gnawing with intent, have the teetha at the ready but doesn't seem to be causing any pain yet anyway. Like the idea of teethers in fridge though must have a look for them

One of my girls doesn't feel the cold at all and hates being too warm. When we're going out I have to put several thin layers and inevitably end up taking off a few! If you don't and she gets sweaty she screams blue murder!

Just out of interest how do you dress your babies for outdoors? I'm using a kind of jacket thing with a hood but I suspect it's too warm. Feels mental saying that when it's dull out but I still put her in it with a blanket and foot muff or just blanket of its in the car. Poor child is probably baked in all the layers :-(

Just out of interest how do you dress your babies for outdoors? I'm using a kind of jacket thing with a hood but I suspect it's too warm. Feels mental saying that when it's dull out but I still put her in it with a blanket and foot muff or just blanket of its in the car. Poor child is probably baked in all the layers :-(

Up to mid Feb I was using pram suit and foot muff. Then just pram suit and loose blanket which E would be too warm in most times. Since March they have little coats but if they have that on its short sleeves or thin layer under. Usually lately I have a cardi on them. I don't use the foot muff unless daddy is bringing them for a walk late and its damp. Mostly, because E gets so warm I use blankets instead of foot muff. That way I can fold or unfold as needed if too cold/warm. With the foot muff its either on or off which isn't always a solution!

In the car I don't put jackets any more and often not even a cardi. I wrap the blankets right up to their neck getting them to the car and then off in the car. Its a bit awkward if we're driving somewhere and then going to be outdoors as I end up putting jackets on in the car for E. Thinking of investing in a couple of morrck blankets. They're quite expensive but given the way E is with heat I think it would be worth it - especially since both of them HATE putting their arms in sleeves for some reason!

Gosh to avoid the struggle of putting arms on I think I might start stripping the layers!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Hey December Mamas, it's great to read about all your little ones and keep up to date with what's going on. Going to start weaning my boy this week, he's doing fine on the bottles but I just feel it's time, he's a thumper and loves his bottles so I'm really looking forward to seeing his reactions to the food. My PHN said to start him on baby rice however I'm not convinced, I might start him on sweet potato or butternut squash. I got the Annabel Karmel app to start off so will follow her recipes and make batches each week.

He's rolling over and dragging himself forward on his mat using his head as a weight he drops it then drags his body forward. It's hilarious to watch although he gets very frustrated after a few minutes then we have to pick him up and comfort him .... Don't want to be interfering I want h to figure things out for himself but when he gets upset I have to hug him!

Sleepwise he's still waking every four hours except for last night he went 6 hours so I'm (desperately) hoping this will happen tonight and in the future! The PHN said I was putting him to bed too early at 7 - 7.30, can I ask what time your little ones go down? I ignored it anyway .... Sometimes I think they're just looking for something to say. He's always wrecked by then anyway and he goes down brilliant, just bottle, hugs, wrapped in a big cellular blanket , turn off all lights and he goes off himself in minutes.

Hope all are well, our babies are getting big now I'd say, he was 8kgs at last check 2 weeks ago! Love my sling now for saving my back!

• Advertisement

fima wrote: »
    Hey December Mamas, it's great to read about all your little ones and keep up to date with what's going on. Going to start weaning my boy this week, he's doing fine on the bottles but I just feel it's time, he's a thumper and loves his bottles so I'm really looking forward to seeing his reactions to the food. My PHN said to start him on baby rice however I'm not convinced, I might start him on sweet potato or butternut squash. I got the Annabel Karmel app to start off so will follow her recipes and make batches each week.

He's rolling over and dragging himself forward on his mat using his head as a weight he drops it then drags his body forward. It's hilarious to watch although he gets very frustrated after a few minutes then we have to pick him up and comfort him .... Don't want to be interfering I want h to figure things out for himself but when he gets upset I have to hug him!

Sleepwise he's still waking every four hours except for last night he went 6 hours so I'm (desperately) hoping this will happen tonight and in the future! The PHN said I was putting him to bed too early at 7 - 7.30, can I ask what time your little ones go down? I ignored it anyway .... Sometimes I think they're just looking for something to say. He's always wrecked by then anyway and he goes down brilliant, just bottle, hugs, wrapped in a big cellular blanket , turn off all lights and he goes off himself in minutes.

Hope all are well, our babies are getting big now I'd say, he was 8kgs at last check 2 weeks ago! Love my sling now for saving my back!

my girls are on solids 5 days now and flying. I didn't give rice as a) a lot of babies don't like it as its tasteless and b) its only to introduce texture and has no nutritional value. Instead I am giving a spoon of porridge mixed with pureed fruit. First was pear and apple which I made myself and then today they had a pouch of Annabel Karmel ready made purée from lidl. I was advised to give both stuff I made myself and good quality ready made. That way in the event I can't cook/run out/ in a rush/ travelling etc they won't turn their nose up at the ready made stuff.

They get a few spoons at 7pm followed by some milk. They get a wash/bath and jammies and then settle to sleep usually by 8.30/9. I give a dream feed at around 11am and they usually sleep through til 6.30/7. They have been doing this since 10 weeks. I am hoping to phase out the dream feed in time as their solid feeds increase.

Possibly your lo is waking out of habit. A trick I have heard of which works for some is to gradually water down the night bottles and eventually he should give it up. Others sugfest hungry milk before bed to fill up for longer. The thing thst helped me was the soother. Over the space of a few nights when they stirred for a bottle I didn't pick them up but gave the soother. First it bought me 5 mins, then 10/20/30 etc. Finslly going from 4 hrs to 5 and now 9! I also increased the daytime feed volume at the same time. Or when he starts solids possibly he will last longer between feeds. My girls have gone from 6 bottles per 24 hrs to 5 and now 4. The volume they take in the morning and dreamfeed has increased but the daytime volume has gone back to 5oz or thereabouts due to solids.

The only time now that they wake around 4/5 is if their teeth are giving trouble. Even at that a soother, cuddle, calgel and sometimes paracetamol usually gets me another few hours.

Advertisement