Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

That's great to know Closifer, I will definitely be checking that out, Thanks!
    Afternoon Tea I live near Limerick but not Limerick if ya get me! Pm me if you're close by and want to know where the pool is!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Ah thanks, I'm in Dublin though! ;) hope all dec mammies having a good day! Had weigh in today-he's 16lb now at 10 and half weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Ah thanks, I'm in Dublin though! ;) hope all dec mammies having a good day! Had weigh in today-he's 16lb now at 10 and half weeks!!!

Afternoon tea, the CRC Pool is meant to be good for babies as it's nice and warm. If you didn't fancy signing up to the aquababies you could bring him there? I think I will bring the girls to the aquababies classes as it's not just having them in water but encourages them to use the skills they inherently have two breathe underwater. I will have to miss the last session of the 6 week class as we will be away but I still think we'll go, then they will be all set for their summer holidays and hopefully won't be too afraid of the water!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Turns out my boy has a virus called Bronchilitis, had to bring him to A&E yesterday as his breathing got very laboured and wheezy. Ended up getting an inhaler for him, now we just have to let it run it's course! Hopefully fingers crossed that's his first & last trip there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

fima wrote: »
    Turns out my boy has a virus called Bronchilitis, had to bring him to A&E yesterday as his breathing got very laboured and wheezy. Ended up getting an inhaler for him, now we just have to let it run it's course! Hopefully fingers crossed that's his first & last trip there!

Poor thing! Hope he gets better soon :-)

• Advertisement

Hello lady -thanks for that, I had never heard of CRC pool, looked it up, it looks great but its a little bit far from me, I think I'll go with aqua babies. Really looking forward to taking him swimming!

Fima you poor thing! How is he doing now??

I had another attempt of trying the bottle yesterday after a weeks break- was not a success!! Had new bottle (tommee tippee) and new formula (Aptimel instead of sma) but he just screams and gets hysterical, had to give him the boob to calm him down. Think we'll just persist with it although I am wondering whether to wait a few months or is that just a recipe for disaster putting it off! I'm desperate to go out!!!!

I tried covering the bottle in a cloth yesterday when my husband gave it to him..only thing left to try is trying it whilst he sleeps! Bit scared of frightening him though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 guesswhat

I had another attempt of trying the bottle yesterday after a weeks break- was not a success!! Had new bottle (tommee tippee) and new formula (Aptimel instead of sma) but he just screams and gets hysterical, had to give him the boob to calm him down. Think we'll just persist with it although I am wondering whether to wait a few months or is that just a recipe for disaster putting it off! I'm desperate to go out!!!!

I tried covering the bottle in a cloth yesterday when my husband gave it to him..only thing left to try is trying it whilst he sleeps! Bit scared of frightening him though!

Hi
    He's used to the nipple and doesn't like a plastic teat! ;-) I don't think issue is with formula but what he sucks on. My little guy is used to avent teats and won't drink from any other bottles with different teats. I would suggest to put a plastic teat covering your nipple so that it feels the same for him ;-)
    Little ones are so cleaver ;-)

guesswhat wrote: »
    Hi
    He's used to the nipple and doesn't like a plastic teat! ;-) I don't think issue is with formula but what he sucks on. My little guy is used to avent teats and won't drink from any other bottles with different teats. I would suggest to put a plastic teat covering your nipple so that it feels the same for him ;-)
    Little ones are so cleaver ;-)

I was just going to say the same, maybe use a nipple shield and try him with a bottle between sides.

Great! I didn't think of that! Will def give the nipple shields a go!for the past few days I've been giving him the bottle just to hold and play with and that's going well so fingers crossed it may make him more accepting of the bottle when filled with formula!

Booked into aqua babies, am so excited now! Ordered his little swim pants and wetsuit, can't wait to see him in it!

How are Dec mammies doing? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Great! I didn't think of that! Will def give the nipple shields a go!for the past few days I've been giving him the bottle just to hold and play with and that's going well so fingers crossed it may make him more accepting of the bottle when filled with formula!

Booked into aqua babies, am so excited now! Ordered his little swim pants and wetsuit, can't wait to see him in it!

Hi have you looked up Breastflow bottles? They are supposed to mimic the way baby uses the boob ie press in and suck - I got one on Amazon and my little one has used it (although she does act a bit like we are making her drink from a shoe!). We don't use it very often though (I'm too lazy!!) Might be worth looking at :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully he starts taking it for You soon. Sorry I've nothing to add - no experience to draw from. Though baby hadn't been given a bottle in a while and almost refused when we were out. Grandad had to walk up and down the room with bottle in her mouth to distract her. Defo gettin oh to give more to avoid her doing that again. I just got so lazy with the expressing. Sounds like a good idea to let him play with the bottle.
    Where did you order the wetsuit from? On the hunt for swimwear now for a holiday we've yet to book! Anyone have any suggestions of destinations?
    Hope you're all doing well :-)

Soooky-thanks, may add that bottle to the list too ha! Got a big selection building up now....!

Kandr- I got the pants and wetsuit on amazon, there are lots on there with great reviews, I got the TWF baby wetsuit for £12, they do lovely designs with little wings so cute!!! Wow haven't even thought of holidays, would be great to get some sun but bought a house there last summer so don't think we'll be going anywhere this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

Kandr10 - we have booked an Algarve holiday for early June. Babs will be almost 6 months then and the weather won't b scorching yet - cannot wait!! We got some lovely baby swimwear in next and baby gap.

My little man started teething recently. Feel so bad for him. He is only just three months and u can see the little white caps under his gums :( sadly it's also meant that he has gone from being a great sleeper to one who is awake at 5 am every morning - Hopefully that doesn't last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

Hey, all this talk of holidays has me itching to get going for some sun. Regarding the swimming what's the story with nappy.....is there water proof ones that you put inside wetsuit? ?

Thanks for that guys! I'll be on that right away :-)
    You can get the huggies little swimmer nappies for the water. I believe they're good.
    Oh is keen to go for 2weeks somewhere cheap but I don't know if it's too much with baby. Don't know why I'm thinking that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

kidcummins wrote: »
    Hey, all this talk of holidays has me itching to get going for some sun. Regarding the swimming what's the story with nappy.....is there water proof ones that you put inside wetsuit? ?

We are getting the Huggies Little Swimmers and also the splash about reusable nappy. You can use both together for extra protection - I think some UK swimming pools reccommend the splash about nappies and they are supposed to be good. Not too expensive either

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Splash-About-Kids-Reusable-Nappy/dp/B000KVMETY/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1394787703&sr=1-1&keywords=splash+about

We also got a great Koo-di shade that goes over his pram and will protect him from the sun and allow him to nap during the day.

I CANNOT wait to get some sun! Im a little scared as Im not sure what to expect but I think we will mainly hang out by the pool so we can get back up to the apartment for nappy changes and feeds easily. It will be fairly low key but I think it should go okay!

Kandr10 - we are going for 12 nights. We were undecided about 1 week or 2 so we booked everything ourselves and chose 12 nights. We got a really good deal too. I think the whole thing is costing us 800euro for the three of us in a nice big apartment. And we are flying Aer Lingus which I insisted on. Couldnt be dealing with a baby and a pram and Ryanair :)

That's a great price closifer! Great to have something to look forward to. Even though it's the same old routine at least it's in the sun :-)

Holiday sounds great! And a great price too! Trying to focus on saving to take 4months unpaid leave from work so not sure we'll get away this summer.
    Closifer, I got the splash about pants on amazon as well as the Velcro up wetsuit thing.
    Had a look at another crèche today, have seen 3 all together so far, think I'm going to go with one nearest to home. Also looking into childminders, not really sure about one over the other as yet. Just want to get it sorted so it's done and I can forget about it for rest of maternity leave! Has anyone else been giving childcare much thought at the moment?

closifer wrote: »
    Kandr10 - we have booked an Algarve holiday for early June. Babs will be almost 6 months then and the weather won't b scorching yet - cannot wait!! We got some lovely baby swimwear in next and baby gap.

My little man started teething recently. Feel so bad for him. He is only just three months and u can see the little white caps under his gums :( sadly it's also meant that he has gone from being a great sleeper to one who is awake at 5 am every morning - Hopefully that doesn't last!!

My two have had the white buds in their gums since 3 weeks! They have had aggravation and itching in their gums on and off since about 6 weeks and this week proper teething has started. Good thing is that it makes them sleep more not less so we've gone from 6 hours at night to 8! I find calgel very good. Its hard to get here so we order it from UK and deliver to parcel motel. Thank god they're old enough for calpol now, it was a bit of a struggle a few weeks ago when they couldn't have it. They can't take neurofen though as it really flares up their acid reflux. I am desperately trying to keep on top of the pain with teething as the extra acid in the saliva aggravates the reflux.

Regarding travelling with infants, anyone I know who did it said its the best and easiest time to travel with them before they are a year old. Were going to visit family for a month in May when the girls will be 5 months and I cant wait.

Hi all, how is everyone getting on? The weeks are absolutely flying..little boy 14weeks today. He is definitely teething, I can't see white buds but he is dribbling like crazy, seems irritable and trying to put everything in his mouth and seems in pain sometimes. I made the move to his own room last night, I was finding it so hard creeping around trying to be quiet with his cot in our room plus I was getting really annoyed with hubbie everytime he moved or snored as he would wake little fella up (usually as I was just putting him back into the cot as he'd fallen asleep!!)

Anyway the night was great, he slept a full 8hrs straight which is the best night so far, think it helped him not being woken by us creeping around the room to be honest! I had been reading a lot about sleep training as he isn't very good at soothing himself back to sleep and cries if he wakes up during the night (I have to feed him at least once during the night). Can I ask how your babies are sleeping? Do they go through the night? He is breastfed. I know at his age (and size-he's 18lb already!) he should be able to get through the night without a feed. I tend to feed him and he goes straight back to sleep, unless he wakes when I return him to the cot and then I have to rock him back to sleep which may take a few attempts!
    Anyway...last night when he woke after 8hr stint at 4am I fed him, he woke when I put him down so I thought I'd try the controlled crying where you let them cry and pop back at intervals of 3,5,10mins etc. Anyway I planned on trying it but was hesitant as it was his first night in his own room plus I was worried he may be too young? Anyway, all I managed was 20 minutes in total as it was so hard listening to him crying plus I was worried about waking the neighbours!! Has anyone used this method of sleep training? Would be great to hear of others experiences! Thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Afternoon tea, can't really help I suppose as I have the boy in bed with me and feed lying down so it's a lot easier. He's just over 11 weeks now and does still wake a few times during the night but he can basically latch himself on now so I don't have to wake fully really.

I dunno about controlled crying as really it's one of the few things I am 100% against. I think they are too little and you're not actually teaching them anything. They barely know they are a separate person, let alone understand why no one is coming to their cry. My grandparents use to put my father and his siblings in a pram at the end of the garden (it was the done thing at the time) and it breaks my heart to think of my poor father as baby crying out for a cuddle. Yes, he survived it and is healthy and sane (relatively :P) but still I don't think there was any need for the anxiety it caused.

I know my son sometime just likes me to hold his hand while he's going off to sleep, I sometimes during the day give him one of those cloth teddy to grasp which seems to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd be completely against controlled crying at that age, to be honest. They're only still getting to grips with the world, they can't understand it.

Have you tried doing a "dreamfeed" when you are going to bed? Basically last thing at night, give them a feed without actually waking them ... they mightn't take much, but the theory is that they'll sleep a lot longer, without actually disturbing their routine (as they don't really realise they're being fed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

At 14 weeks I wouldn't be expecting a baby to sleep through the night at all! I'm against controlled crying before the age of 1. If they're waking at night at that age there is a reason for it.

Yeah I agree with everything said there! I don't think there's any harm in giving a night feed. Apparently sleeping 5 hours straight is what the internet defines as sleeping through. Have to say once getting my lo down I've always been terrified to touch her in case I woke her so never really gave the dream feeding a chance. I'm slowly learning not to get used to anything cos it changes so much :-)

My twins are 14 weeks and sleep through without waking from 11/12 to 6/7am. They have a feed at 8 and then usually settle down around 9pm or so. We give a dream feed at 11/12 and they pretty much stay sleepy through that and nappy change amd settle straight back to sleep. The odd time they will wake and need to be settled back down but usually thats only if their teeth or reflux is particularly bad. Between 9 and 11 I usually make bottles, give the kitchen a quick tidy, have a shower if I didn't get one that morning and put away laundry. If I am particularly tired though I go to bed for a few hours. From next week iam hoping to go to the gym for an hour twice a week once they go down but will have to wait and see if the clocks changing messes up our routine!

Hey thanks so much for your replies, I am finding it hard as the more I read/google the more confused I am! The thing is he used to wake every 2hrs for a feed and then one night he slept 6hrs straight (I was on such a high the next day!!!) and last night we got 8hrs so like was said above about 5hrs considered 'sleeping through the night' - I'm aware that's brilliant to get 8hrs straight out of him. I suppose when he's ready again he'll just go a bit longer? I think I'm just worried about him getting into bad habits, like needing the boob to sleep and not being able to sooth himself back to sleep. I think I've been getting hung up on what he should be doing and reading about babies that sleep 12hrs straight but like was said above , he is only finding his way at the moment and 3months is very young. I think I just have to go with my gut rather than reading too much and worrying about what I am /am not doing!! Sorry for babbling now...

About the dream feed-my little one won't take a bottle (tried various bottles/teats/settings/people feeding etc and no luck although we have made progress in that he now doesn't scream at the sight of the bottle as I got him to play with empty bottle for a while. Now he justs puts teat in his mouth and chews on it without sucking at all...I'm trying just to continue giving him a bottle in hope that one day he starts sucking! So the one thing I haven't tried yet is trying a dreamfeed with the bottle, I'm scared of waking him once I've got him to sleep!!!! I've ordered a playtex bottle which is meant to be good so I'm hoping I have some success with this one!! Just can't wait to have a little break from baby just for a few hours ;) thanks again for your replies, really appreciate it!

I also need to breastfeed to get my lo off to sleep. I wasn't so much worried about bad habits so much as not being able to get her to sleep any other way (other than by accident in the pram or car!) she's 20 weeks now but I feel it's too young still to be habit forming. She definitely doesn't soothe herself back to sleep unless she's just a little drowsy and hasn't woken up fully. She's started sucking her thumb which I find desperate cute :-) though I'm told I should give her a soother to stop her... She had been sleeping from about 8 til 6 or 7 but last 2 nights has woken once for a feed. She's been unusually difficult to settle at bedtime or for any nap . I've read a bit about sleep regression but couldn't find any entirely reputable sources so I'm still a little cynical. Anecdotally on here you hear people saying they had similar experiences. What do you guys think? Any experience?

Happy Mother's Day to you all by the way :-)

I would give her a soother if it were me - you can take a soother away a lot easier when the time comes than a thumb! With the thumb as they get older they tend to push the thumb forward and that can misshape their teeth. An orthodontic soother is a much better option. It will also help qith stretching out the sleeping. One of my girls wasn't much into the soother but I perservered and it bought me an extra hour in the mornings after a week of popping it in when she wakes - first for 10 mins, then 20 and so on. We've moved on to bottles and it also buys me enough time to get the bottle ready.

WRT taking a bottle, what about feeding for a while with a nipple shield?

I agree that strict routines are too restrictive at such a young age, but I disagree that you can't have some sort of routine in place and be slowly building on that. Maybe its just because I have two and a routine of some sort is essential, but I do think 10 weeks + is suitable to start introducing a routine, even if its a baby led routine. I go back to work in July and I don't want to be in a mad panic a month before trying to establish a routine.

our day goes:
    6/7 babies wake and feed. Change nappies, spend time together in Mammy and Daddy's bed.
    Around 8ish back into cot together to play/watch their mobile while Mammy showers and has breakfast. They sometimes fall back asleep for half an hour or so.
    By 10 both are washed and dressed and depending on whether they had their first bottle at 6 or 7 they have a bottle at 10/11.
    11 to 12 nap
    12.30pm - out for a walk, run errands - they usually fall asleep half an hour in
    1.30/2pm- home and into bouncers ready for next feed.
    30 min nap after feed
    playtime and tummy time
    around 6pm nap while Mammy and Daddy eat.
    7pm bottle, bath and jammies
    8pm playtime with Daddy
    By 9/9.30pm usually asleep downstairs in napper moses baskets.
    11.30 dreamfeed and then into cots in their room.

I try to either stretch out feeding times or give them early to try and stay in the 11/3/7/11 scedule. If I do this I do it early in the day and distract them if stretching it out with playtime or a bath.

if we need to go somewhere obviously play times and walks get moved around but I try to stick to the 4 hourly feed intervals as I find that is what helps keep them on track with sleeping at night. Its really important for their reflux to eat at regular intervals.

I also think that going on solids in a few weeks will help nights.

• Advertisement

I agree that routine is important but that routine can include waking for a feed during the night if that's what's required. I think babies are adaptable and they'll fall into the routine set up when both parents are back in work. I don't know how but for some reason our lo doesn't get up at the same time at the weekend as she does during the week. Maybe because her dad usually changes her before going to work. Our getting up time obviously isn't as strict at the weekend. I feel I just fumbled my way forward from the time she was born and there's a semblance of a routine somewhere there but I know it didn't come from me. Baby led I suppose you'd call it then :-)

Advertisement