Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Corkie2011 wrote: »
    Hi mammies and mammies to be.

Haven't being on in a few days. So congrats to everyone who's being busy having there bundles of joy and best of luck on thoses still waiting.
    We had our little boy on Monday afternoon by c section. Even thou it was planned it was still scarey but so much easier then our previous emergency one. It was so strange, going into hospital not in pain knowing that you were going to have a baby in a few hours.
    Can't wait to get home. Don't like being in hospital, always feel much better at home no matter what pain I'm in.
    Best of luck everyone and happy christmas xx

Congrats Corkie2011!!! Do you know when you'll get out of hospital? Will be lovely to get home with your little boy I bet!!! :)

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Ah sucks Afternoon tea, I suppose at least the end is somewhere in sight, that's what I'm clinging to anyway, at some point very soon I won't be pregnant.

I seem to be getting a sensitive sense of smell again, everything is making me want to puke tonight.

Yeah not much longer really! Bleugh-have heard you can get sickness back in last trimester, or maybe its a sign labour is on its way for you :) !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Can't believe that in less than 12 hours I will be Mammy to two little girls! Feels very surreal. I honestly don't really know how I feel about it. Not nervous about the section tomorrow at all, but it's like I can't quite get my head around the fact that it will result in two little ones!! Hubby is so excited bless him.

Sitting here eating a jam donut and milk before I start fasting. Hope I am early on the list so I don't have to go hungry for too long.

In addition to seeing my little girls faces (of course) things I am looking forward to are:
    * Being able to bend down to put on my shoes and socks
    * No more crippling indigestion from my blood pressure and cholestasis
    * No more vitamin k and medications every day (the vitamin k tastes like really bad ear wax so babies are actually very lucky they get injections of it instead!)
    * Being allowed to eat runny eggs!
    * Being able to get comfy in bed

Tomorrow is going to be a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Can't believe that in less than 12 hours I will be Mammy to two little girls! Feels very surreal. I honestly don't really know how I feel about it. Not nervous about the section tomorrow at all, but it's like I can't quite get my head around the fact that it will result in two little ones!! Hubby is so excited bless him.

Sitting here eating a jam donut and milk before I start fasting. Hope I am early on the list so I don't have to go hungry for too long.

In addition to seeing my little girls faces (of course) things I am looking forward to are:
    * No more vitamin k and medications every day (the vitamin k tastes like really bad ear wax so babies are actually very lucky they get injections of it instead!)

Good Luck tomorrow Hello Lady! Hope all goes well for you and your girls.
    Congrats to everyone who has already had their babies x

Corkie2011 wrote: »
    Hi mammies and mammies to be.

Haven't being on in a few days. So congrats to everyone who's being busy having there bundles of joy and best of luck on thoses still waiting.
    We had our little boy on Monday afternoon by c section. Even thou it was planned it was still scarey but so much easier then our previous emergency one. It was so strange, going into hospital not in pain knowing that you were going to have a baby in a few hours.
    Can't wait to get home. Don't like being in hospital, always feel much better at home no matter what pain I'm in.
    Best of luck everyone and happy christmas xx

Congratulations and well done Corkie2011! Hope you and your little man are doing well and get home soon xx

• Advertisement

Best of luck Hello Lady!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭therealgirl

Congrats Corkie! And best of luck Hello Lady! I liked the positive outlook you have on being able to dress yourself again without assistance...I have a toddler & put on her shoes for her, then turn to my eldest or husband to get them to put mine on, frustrating!!
    I am awaiting every new twinge to be a sign of something to start...so it must be unreal knowing that your babes will be here by a certain time!!

After getting over a week long head cold (after the gastro bug & chest inf!) I woke last night with signs of a sinus infection...blocked ears and stuffy sinus all day along with minor, but unmistakeable contraction style, pain every time I get a tightening...if these illnesses were a sign of labour being just around the corner I wouldn't mind...does anyone have any stories of pre labour feeling before they went into labour on their little ones?
    Not even a show or anything to indicate changes happening down there, have had tough tightenings for a long time now, but it's just now they are getting a niggle with them...am 39 weeks tomorrow on my 3rd babe so I was hoping he'd be early/on time at least! :)
    Went for an appointment with the consultant yesterday & thought I'd have to have the first dreaded internal...but he wasn't one of those 'internal happy' types, so as much as I'd love to know what's happening/progressing in there..I wasn't complaining!

Hope everyone is feeling good & the new mams are recovering well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Congratulations to all the new mammies enjoy every minute with your new arrivals :) best of luck hello lady, I hope your little girls have arrived by now!! X

Emilia Rose and Aleyna Mae born at 2.35pm & 2.37pm weighing 5lb12oz (2.67kg) and 6lb2oz (2.78kg) respectively. Both with me initially but Aleyna had slightly low blood sugar so brought to NICU at midnight for regular glucose tests. Expecting her back with me by lunchtime today. Mammy and Emilia spent the night getting to know each other and I don't know how she feels about it all but I think she is the bomb!

Feeling a bit battered after the section and was very sick due to the morphine at first but fine within a few hours. Scar isn't even as big as I expected.

Experienced a few hiccups (vein collapsed with oxytocin drip so my arm puffed out like popeye and I wasn't getting the meds for the bleeding so I was loosing quite a bit of blood but once it was sorted I perked up fairly quickly). All in all far from the worst thing I've ever experienced and wow, was it worth it.

Daddy proudest man alive and already a natural at feeding and changing nappies. Grandad and aunties all extremely biased but all in agreement that they are the most beautiful babies ever born with only each other for competition.

Good luck to all the Mammies in waiting.

Horray Hello Lady!! Congratulations, & what beautiful little girl names, wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

Congrats Hello Lady, busy times ahead for you now!

Ended up in hospital again last night, everything is fine now but it really made it all very real. There was a girl on the ward in labor and as much as I've heard the moans and all on the TV, was a bit disconcerting to hear it for real.

Absolutely love the community midwives though, they are just so calm. Couldn't get over the heat in the hospital , I'm not great with heat at the best of times but it really made me want to vomit. Dressing gown is definitely being taken out of the bag.

Any stirrings Afternoon tea? Had an internal last night so was thinking it might bring something on but feel fine this morning!

Congrats Hello Lady!! Delighted for you, and what gorgeous names!! Wow well done!! :)

Sweet Pea,how are you feeling now? Hope you are doing ok. yeah I've heard about the heat, have a really thin dressing gown packed but doubt I'll need it.

Well, currently sat with tens machine on at home having contractions!! Had more painful braxton hicks in night which got so uncomfortable but felt silly ringing the hospital about Braxton hicks but they confirmed they sound like contractions! Waiting for midwife to call out for check now which is brilliant instead of going in. Contractions 7 mins apart lasting a minute, hosp have said I'm not in labour based on that. Wondering how long ill b sat here for like this! Also at check on wed I wasn't favourable so expecting midwife today to tell me same, no idea what happens then?! Can you go on for days like this?!!

Ah exciting stuff afternoon tea, yeah it's great to be able to get the midwife out to confirm what stage you're at. How's the pain level

One thing from listening to that girl last night is that I really don't want to go in till I absolutly have to, there was also a good few just walking around, getting contractions and that but not quite there yet, they actually looked bored out of their tree.

I'm getting some faint cramps on and off but really don't think it's anything. Just starting to feel quite sick again the last couple of days.

Emilia Rose and Aleyna Mae born at 2.35pm & 2.37pm weighing 5lb12oz (2.67kg) and 6lb2oz (2.78kg) respectively. Both with me initially but Aleyna had slightly low blood sugar so brought to NICU at midnight for regular glucose tests. Expecting her back with me by lunchtime today. Mammy and Emilia spent the night getting to know each other and I don't know how she feels about it all but I think she is the bomb!

Feeling a bit battered after the section and was very sick due to the morphine at first but fine within a few hours. Scar isn't even as big as I expected.

Experienced a few hiccups (vein collapsed with oxytocin drip so my arm puffed out like popeye and I wasn't getting the meds for the bleeding so I was loosing quite a bit of blood but once it was sorted I perked up fairly quickly). All in all far from the worst thing I've ever experienced and wow, was it worth it.

Daddy proudest man alive and already a natural at feeding and changing nappies. Grandad and aunties all extremely biased but all in agreement that they are the most beautiful babies ever born with only each other for competition.

Good luck to all the Mammies in waiting.

Congratulations hello lady on the arrival of your little girls beautiful names :) daddy will be kept on his toes with three ladies to look after now ;) mind yourself after section and enjoy every minute with your new little family x

Well, currently sat with tens machine on at home having contractions!! Had more painful braxton hicks in night which got so uncomfortable but felt silly ringing the hospital about Braxton hicks but they confirmed they sound like contractions! Waiting for midwife to call out for check now which is brilliant instead of going in. Contractions 7 mins apart lasting a minute, hosp have said I'm not in labour based on that. Wondering how long ill b sat here for like this! Also at check on wed I wasn't favourable so expecting midwife today to tell me same, no idea what happens then?! Can you go on for days like this?!!

Oh best of luck afternoon tea hopefully baby won't keep you waiting too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

afternoon tea you can go from non favourable to favourable in a matter of hours!

Well baby was born 8am this morning - a boy weighing 9lb exactly! He is gorgeous and I just can't believe he is here! Contractions got a little stronger all day yesterday and we came in to hospital contractions were getting closer together. Was examined and wasn't considered to be in labour felt so disappointed. Had a long wait and did a lot of walking to get things moving,contractions got stronger, had pethadine which just made me sleepy and found them unbearable at one point, got examined again and had gone to 3cm so was brought to labour room! Decided I definitely wanted an epidural (wow it was heaven!!!) couldn't feel a thing then so could just sit back and enjoy the process more! Exam showed I was 7cm dilated a few hurs later, I had oxytocin to turn baby from awkward position and then I was 10cm after an hour on that! Baby delivered in the hour and needed forceps and an episiotomy, again couldn't feel any of it and I just kept my eyes shut for that bit!! Was just amazing being handed this little bundle! Have been able to breastfeed ok also and he has massive appetite altho I'm wauting for the sore nipples!!

Am now in a ward that is SO noisy it's like an airport with visitors and everyone seems to hav tv blaring, wish I'd bought earplugs now! Should me heading home 2mw :) just in shock but it's all so amazing!

Well baby was born 8am this morning - a boy weighing 9lb exactly! He is gorgeous and I just can't believe he is here! Contractions got a little stronger all day yesterday and we came in to hospital contractions were getting closer together. Was examined and wasn't considered to be in labour felt so disappointed. Had a long wait and did a lot of walking to get things moving,contractions got stronger, had pethadine which just made me sleepy and found them unbearable at one point, got examined again and had gone to 3cm so was brought to labour room! Decided I definitely wanted an epidural (wow it was heaven!!!) couldn't feel a thing then so could just sit back and enjoy the process more! Exam showed I was 7cm dilated a few hurs later, I had oxytocin to turn baby from awkward position and then I was 10cm after an hour on that! Baby delivered in the hour and needed forceps and an episiotomy, again couldn't feel any of it and I just kept my eyes shut for that bit!! Was just amazing being handed this little bundle! Have been able to breastfeed ok also and he has massive appetite altho I'm wauting for the sore nipples!!

Am now in a ward that is SO noisy it's like an airport with visitors and everyone seems to hav tv blaring, wish I'd bought earplugs now! Should me heading home 2mw :) just in shock but it's all so amazing!

Aw congratulations and well done on the arrival of your little boy afternoon tea. Hopefully you will get home tomorrow and the ward quietens down a little in the meantime!

Congratulations afternoon tea and welcome to your gorgeous boy. Wow, 9lb is a fantastic size. Hope you are both doing well xxx

Just a little bag packing tip for those of you still to go - either bring a little night light or put an app on your phone. In the rotunda the small light at the bed can be in an awkward spot on some beds or if you are sore you might not want to be twisting. I have used the night light on my phone last few nights and find it great. Bright enough to change/feed by without totally waking baby and then they don't gristle as much.

Tonight was my first full night feeding both little fairies alone and I survived. Wasn't as bad as I thought. I have managed to get them both mixing breast and bottle. I can express from tomorrow. So my plan is to actually put them on the breast in the day when I have help and am not so tired and use bottles at night, mixing both formula and expressed milk. That way I think it will be less stressful at 3am when I can stuff a bottle into their gob before they get a chance to have a melt down rather than trying to get a latch when one or other (or both) are screaming for grub!

• Advertisement

Tonight was my first full night feeding both little fairies alone and I survived. Wasn't as bad as I thought. I have managed to get them both mixing breast and bottle. I can express from tomorrow. So my plan is to actually put them on the breast in the day when I have help and am not so tired and use bottles at night, mixing both formula and expressed milk. That way I think it will be less stressful at 3am when I can stuff a bottle into their gob before they get a chance to have a melt down rather than trying to get a latch when one or other (or both) are screaming for grub!

Well done on the feeding alone it's hard with just one baby so go you doing it with two! Good idea to have bottle for the night feeds it's tough going then (I think more so because you know it's the middle of the night and should be asleep!) my little lady loves her night feeds she'll wake at least 3 times whereas my oldest only woke once and by 4 weeks slept through the night! Bottles at night could be the way to go!!

Fairie wrote: »
    Well done on the feeding alone it's hard with just one baby so go you doing it with two! Good idea to have bottle for the night feeds it's tough going then (I think more so because you know it's the middle of the night and should be asleep!) my little lady loves her night feeds she'll wake at least 3 times whereas my oldest only woke once and by 4 weeks slept through the night! Bottles at night could be the way to go!!

Thanks! Yeah I'm not going to be unrealistic, I need the support of the bottles at night. It'll be easier at home I hope cos hubby can help for even one feed on work nights. I will need to mix it to keep milk flowing and they say night feeds are very good for keeping milk up so I won't get to avoid it totally but good to have a back up of a bottle in the mush if one of them gets really impatient. Have to say though, they are such good babies (touch wood) and although it's early days they seem quite calm. Feeding every 2 hours though!!! Pretty tiring!

Congartulations Afternoon tea, he's a winter solstice baby, I would've love that.

Think my boy is heading for the 9 lbs mark at this rate too.

Our little man was born yesterday eve (we share the birth date afternoon tea...& many congratulations & a huge well done :) )
    He was 7lbs, it was a surprise induction, I broke down in tears at this news thinking the worst would happen again after my last induction...disaster...but it turned out to be an amazing experience...never thought I'd say that about birth!

They started by breaking my waters at 1pm, then gave me an hour walking around to get things going before they started the drip to make contractions come...gave me an epidural when they started the drip...my BP was sky high so epi was suggested as it helps lower BP (&I was uneasy about the intensity of an induced labour on the synthetic drip too!) But after an hour I was 4cm & they asked if I wanted the epidural topped up or to just labour with gas & air from there on...I got scared & asked for the epidural to be topped up...but it didn't work properly (typical) & only numbed my left side from that point on, so I felt one side of my body labouring...so used gas & air (good stuff, had never used it before)
    Spent 4 hours labouring to 10cm...surprisingly manageable...focused a lot on each pain bringing baby down & being productive etc & my breathing (makes a big difference!) & just trying not to lose control...!!!
    Felt baby come all the way down & pushing stage was 7 mins...3 lil stitches...cried my heart & soul out for about 10 mins when they put him on my chest & I couldn't open my eyes for ages to look at him as I was convinced he wasn't my baby, surely my baby was still in me & things should have been tougher than that!
    Placenta then wouldn't come, so after an hour trying I was prepped for theatre...but just as I was about to be brought down my amazing doc tried himself to get it out & it worked. I needed a drip for 12 hours afterwards then to make contractions come regularly in case there was any issues with having retained the placenta...which was like enduring a second labour, minus a baby inside! But having the little man to look at made it bearable & the midwives helped me a lot with him during that time.
    So after expecting the worst birth & worst recovery, I am now able to think back to this birth & smile & remember how positive it was...hope if anyone is in the same boat as I was yesterday & scared due to past experience, they can read this & have hope that things can be different next time & yes, birth can actually be an amazing experience!!

...Now, fingers crossed for a positive breastfeeding experience ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Our little man was born yesterday eve (we share the birth date afternoon tea...& many congratulations & a huge well done :) )
    He was 7lbs, it was a surprise induction, I broke down in tears at this news thinking the worst would happen again after my last induction...disaster...but it turned out to be an amazing experience...never thought I'd say that about birth!

They started by breaking my waters at 1pm, then gave me an hour walking around to get things going before they started the drip to make contractions come...gave me an epidural when they started the drip...my BP was sky high so epi was suggested as it helps lower BP (&I was uneasy about the intensity of an induced labour on the synthetic drip too!) But after an hour I was 4cm & they asked if I wanted the epidural topped up or to just labour with gas & air from there on...I got scared & asked for the epidural to be topped up...but it didn't work properly (typical) & only numbed my left side from that point on, so I felt one side of my body labouring...so used gas & air (good stuff, had never used it before)
    Spent 4 hours labouring to 10cm...surprisingly manageable...focused a lot on each pain bringing baby down & being productive etc & my breathing (makes a big difference!) & just trying not to lose control...!!!
    Felt baby come all the way down & pushing stage was 7 mins...3 lil stitches...cried my heart & soul out for about 10 mins when they put him on my chest & I couldn't open my eyes for ages to look at him as I was convinced he wasn't my baby, surely my baby was still in me & things should have been tougher than that!
    Placenta then wouldn't come, so after an hour trying I was prepped for theatre...but just as I was about to be brought down my amazing doc tried himself to get it out & it worked. I needed a drip for 12 hours afterwards then to make contractions come regularly in case there was any issues with having retained the placenta...which was like enduring a second labour, minus a baby inside! But having the little man to look at made it bearable & the midwives helped me a lot with him during that time.
    So after expecting the worst birth & worst recovery, I am now able to think back to this birth & smile & remember how positive it was...hope if anyone is in the same boat as I was yesterday & scared due to past experience, they can read this & have hope that things can be different next time & yes, birth can actually be an amazing experience!!

...Now, fingers crossed for a positive breastfeeding experience ;)

Massive congrats on your little arrival and well done you!:-)
    Just want to say my previous labour was a scary one but this one totally overwrote that experience! So yes... Labour can be positive experience and am so amazed how our bodies can work through it!:-)

Congrats also to all the rest of new mums.. And best of luck to the ones still expecting!
    Have all lovely Xmas with your new bundles and all the best for new year!

My two boys are keeping me busy busy but I love every minute of it!!!:-)

Congrats therealgirl!!!! So delighted you had a positive experience this time and are enjoying the time with your new bundle :) when did you leave hospital and how are you finding the breastfeeding?
    Breastfeeding has gone well so far but saying that he has refused the breast this morning and looks like he has little dry lips so am waiting for him to cry out in hunger soon!! My nipples are starting to get sore but I'm using the lanolin cream already, I'm wondering if he doesn't like the taste of it maybe?

I tried using a soother last night as he tends to not sleep at all and just squirm and want feeding all night (what he did first night in hosp!) he kept spitting it out but managed to keep it in and sleep for a good while which was lovely, we won't use it in the day though.

Hope you are getting on ok therealgirl and all other mammies and those waiting to go-best of luck!!! X

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

My baby boy Josh arrived 20-12-13 at 09:50 by elective section. Hes absolutely perfect!! Had been dreading the section and to be honest let it over take my excitement about baby arriving. Met the most amazing nurse in theatre, who I will never be able to thank enough for her kindness. Breast feeding going well, although hes a little jaundice so having to wake him to try feed regularly. Got cut off from my morphine monday morning could feel the difference in my wound and also my breasts. God bless lanolin cream though had me sorted after one application. Home today for Santy Woohoo!!

Congratulations and well done therealgirl and kidcummins and welcome to your baby boys :) enjoy your new little families x

Thanks! Yeah I'm not going to be unrealistic, I need the support of the bottles at night. It'll be easier at home I hope cos hubby can help for even one feed on work nights. I will need to mix it to keep milk flowing and they say night feeds are very good for keeping milk up so I won't get to avoid it totally but good to have a back up of a bottle in the mush if one of them gets really impatient. Have to say though, they are such good babies (touch wood) and although it's early days they seem quite calm. Feeding every 2 hours though!!! Pretty tiring!

Breastfeeding is a tough job especially with two, and you seem to be doing great so go you :) Always good to have a back up plan just incase your two ladies decide they want food now and the're not going to wait! And daddy can have some night time bonding with his babies too!!
    Great that they are good babies, good babies here too. My oldest was so calm and laid back when she was born and still is, her sister seems to be the same so far. I do think the more relaxed and calm the parents are it reflects on to baby. Happy mammy equals happy baby!

• Advertisement

Congratulations kidcummins and therealgirl. Wonderful news for you both.

Breastfeeding going okay here. Not always able for feeding by breast on every feed so supplementing with bottles. Sometimes they have trouble latching on, usually when they are inpatient for food - they get very wound up and don't seem to be able to latch on for frustration. At those times I just go with the bottle rather than stress me or the baby out. This happened a bit today so boobs quite full and I'm sitting here with a hot water bottle on them.

I need to get a decent pump but it will have to wait til after Xmas. I tried hand expressing but can't coordinate getting the milk into a container! Going to get the Amdala double electric one - heard good things about it.

I am finding that one challenge is one of my girls had to spend 36 hours in NICU for low blood sugar and they fed her every 2 hours and got her into the habit of taking large amounts of feed each time. They also have her a soother. As a result she craves feeding at night as it is very much a bonding thing for her but she sometimes struggles to latch on due to the soother. It's like she's confused about what is supposed to happen when she sucks. She sometimes wants to sit on my boob and use it as a soother. This makes it hard at night cos she's not feeding but wants to be held and then when I try to put her down to feed her sister she goes mad. So I would advise against the soother for a while until baby definitely has the hang of feeding and can distinguish the difference between the soother and feeding.

Advertisement