Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due December 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

I am living in Denmark at the moment. Over here it's a 48hr stay as long as everything has gone to plan.

We stayed an extra day though, because Joshua wasn't getting enough nourishment out of my boobs and was dehydrated so he needed to be givens some extra food, until my milk came in fully.

I have a lot of discomfort in the muscles where they made the cut. Getting out of the bed or up off a chair was a big operation, especially in the first 24 hrs after the section. I was on paracetamol, iboprufen and morphine tablets for the first two days, then they cut the morphine out, so now I am only taking the other two.
    I find that the more active I am or the more I walk around, the less painful it is, so it's just a case of keeping myself moving.
    But I have read comments from plenty of women who say they had minimal discomfort after a section, so it probably is an individual thing.

Thanks for your reply, I'm just dreading the c section ive never even had a tooth out. I'm hoping the distraction of my new bundle will help me forget about the pain/discomfort. Good luck with the breast feeding, that will be my next thing to worry about. Best wishes to you and baby Joshua

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Hi all,

I have been missing in action this week. Had a beautiful little boy on Weds via planned c-section. His name is Joshua and he is doing great. We spent an extra day in the hospital as he was a bit dehydrated, but now my milk has come in fully and he is doing fine, so we got to go home this evening :)

Congrats to the other new mammies and best of luck to those still to go.

Congrats on your little boy's arrival Cunning stunt! Delighted both of you are doing well and are home now! Enjoy!x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Congrats ladies! Glad your babies arrived healthy and happy :-)

I have to say, i have nothing but admiration for women who go through labour without pain relief snd those who have sections. I had an episiotomy and I didn't find the recovery too bad. A few days later I could feel a tightening as the stitches were healing which was slightly uncomfortable but nothing a bit of Paracetemol couldn't sort. Since that was caused by the stitches I'm assuming I'd have had the same experience if I had tore and needed them. Epidural helped at the time also!

Fima- I had a very similar experience with the breastfeeding to start with. Thankfully things settled after a few weeks though I must have got lazy with latching cos have one sore nipple again. Plus one for the lanolin cream. Great investment! Hopefully it settles down for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Hi all,

I have been missing in action this week. Had a beautiful little boy on Weds via planned c-section. His name is Joshua and he is doing great. We spent an extra day in the hospital as he was a bit dehydrated, but now my milk has come in fully and he is doing fine, so we got to go home this evening :)

Congrats to the other new mammies and best of luck to those still to go.

Congratulations on the arrival of your little boy Joshua, I love his name :) enjoy every minute with your new family x

kidcummins wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I'm just dreading the c section ive never even had a tooth out. I'm hoping the distraction of my new bundle will help me forget about the pain/discomfort. Good luck with the breast feeding, that will be my next thing to worry about. Best wishes to you and baby Joshua

Distraction of baby will def help!! Try not to worry about it. Take medication when you are suppose to. For the first approximately 24 hours I was on morphine pump (heaven!!), then for next two weeks difene and paracetomol. I also got two difene suppositories in hospital, not the nicest things to get but worth it! Have a nurse with you first time you get out of bed I remember feeling weak and a bit dizzy but it didn't last long. Just try to take it as easy as possible, don't stay sitting for too long the muscles tend to stiffen, a walk about the house for a minute or two helps. Personally I found the section recovery easier than natural birth (not to scare anyone else reading, I did tear badly ish and it doesn't help having an extremely active almost one year old ;)! ) but everyone is different and the main thing is look after yourself. My advise especially for the first time mammies is for the first week or two forget about housework etc and just concentrate on baby and mammy lots of couch/bed days. Any visitors get then to make their own tea/coffee and any offers of help don't be shy get them to wash dishes /put on a load of washing make things as easy as possible for yourself and enjoy this time with your baby x

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    I have to say, i have nothing but admiration for women who go through labour without pain relief snd those who have sections.

Fima- I had a very similar experience with the breastfeeding to start with. Thankfully things settled after a few weeks though I must have got lazy with latching cos have one sore nipple again. Plus one for the lanolin cream. Great investment! Hopefully it settles down for you too.

Admiration for every woman who goes through labour/ birth whatever way with or without pain relief! If I had time I would have had my epidural!!

Plus one for the lanolin cream too! Try to get baby to latch properly remember both of you are learning, but it does get easier!

It's so true! It's a real learning curve seeing what works for both mammy and baby. Well worth seeing it through though - if nothing else for the pure convenience of not having to sterilise bottles. I have a gripe with the steriliser I bought (which I intend to use when I start expressing). It fits 6 bottles, teats, lids etc but once the lid is opened nothing is sterile anymore. Bit silly if you can only use o e bottle at a time! So basically I have quite an expensive bottle holder!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

Congratulations Cunning & Lulu! can't believe we're all getting our little ones at last :)

Kandr10 what steriliser is it? I have Tommee Tippee and lost the instructions so I'm worried that's the case for mine as well ... Gave in last night and gave Indy a dummy. Hate the look of it on his little face but if it gives him something to suck that's not me for a while ...

Venturing out for first time on my own today. Just trying to feed him loads so he sleeps but he won't wake up to feed because he savaged me at 11.30 and is still stuffed. Oh the joys :)

fima wrote: »
    Congratulations Cunning & Lulu! can't believe we're all getting our little ones at last :)

Kandr10 what steriliser is it? I have Tommee Tippee and lost the instructions so I'm worried that's the case for mine as well ... Gave in last night and gave Indy a dummy. Hate the look of it on his little face but if it gives him something to suck that's not me for a while ...

Venturing out for first time on my own today. Just trying to feed him loads so he sleeps but he won't wake up to feed because he savaged me at 11.30 and is still stuffed. Oh the joys :)

I've a tommee tippee sterilizer once sterilized if you open the unit bottles are ok up to 12 hours if unopened up to 24 hours.

Hope your day out with your little man went well. It's overwhelming the first time but such a happy proud moment :)

It's so true! It's a real learning curve seeing what works for both mammy and baby. Well worth seeing it through though - if nothing else for the pure convenience of not having to sterilise bottles. I have a gripe with the steriliser I bought (which I intend to use when I start expressing). It fits 6 bottles, teats, lids etc but once the lid is opened nothing is sterile anymore. Bit silly if you can only use o e bottle at a time! So basically I have quite an expensive bottle holder!

What type of sterilizer do you have? Bit odd nothing is sterile once opened? Suppose to an extent bottles wouldn't be 100% sterile after they've been touched, put on counter etc but should really be ok to use for at least 12 hours I would think?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭afternoon tea

Hello Dec mammies! Hope all are doing well, those that have their lovely bundles and those still waiting! :)

Am 40 + 2 today and just can't wait to meet baby now! Each night I wonder will something happen tonight?? But no...not yet!! I had a reflexology session Saturday who told me I'm 1cm dilated and shouldn't need to be induced, so here's hoping!! That evening I think I lost my plug as I had (TMI coming up...) a big lump of clear jelly in my knickers and since them it's been coming out as mucus discharge, it's been clear each time. I'm taking this as a sign something is happening but totally aware the 'something' could take a while!!

I have been offered a sweep if I want it at my next midwife appt this Wednesday but I'm not sure if I will, think I'll try and go naturally if I can and maybe wait for the sweep next week. I heard that a sweep can start things off falsely so if your body isn't ready the contractions etc hurt more...anyone have any info on sweeps? I'm sure I'll reach a point where I won't actually care and do whatever I can to speed up the process!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

I'm sure I'll reach a point where I won't actually care and do whatever I can to speed up the process!!!! :)

I've two weeks to go but no sign of anything happening, for me personally If I've to get a sweep or anything I'm gonna wait till I absolutely have to and/or feel like you've said above. I'd say if you feel like you can wait for another week than wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'm sure if you just rinse the bottles in a splash of boiled water just before using them, they'll be fine. :) I know having everything clean and hygienic is really important, but at the same time a completely sterile environment would be impossible.

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    I've two weeks to go but no sign of anything happening, for me personally If I've to get a sweep or anything I'm gonna wait till I absolutely have to and/or feel like you've said above. I'd say if you feel like you can wait for another week than wait.

Yep I'll def be waiting as long as I can! How are you feeling Sweet Pea??

I'm sure if you just rinse the bottles in a splash of boiled water just before using them, they'll be fine. :) I know having everything clean and hygienic is really important, but at the same time a completely sterile environment would be impossible.

That's it! Sure it'd be completely impractical otherwise. I don't think it's necessary to be too hung up on such things but then I'm wondering why I bothered buying the steriliser and didn't just stick with boiling bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

when I've sterilized his bottles I put the teats on inside the bottle and stick a lid on t o keep them sterile.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

2 days to go...cracking up! Tightening/braxton hicks cramps getting more intense and more frequent now. Starting to panic that babies will come in the next two days and I'll have to have an emergency section! But please god they'll be lazy babies and stay put!

Feels very surreal to think that by the weekend I'll be holding my bundles! :eek:

2 days to go...cracking up! Tightening/braxton hicks cramps getting more intense and more frequent now. Starting to panic that babies will come in the next two days and I'll have to have an emergency section! But please god they'll be lazy babies and stay put!

Feels very surreal to think that by the weekend I'll be holding my bundles! :eek:

Two days so exciting :) hopefully babies will behave and stay put. You will hopefully be home with your two girls for christmas .. Keep us posted I'm loving reading all the updates! I kind of miss my bump and the waiting for baby's arrival now!!!

Best of luck hello lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kidcummins

fima wrote: »
    March11 Baby Girl, born 28th Nov
    Fima 3rd
    Closifer 3rd
    Kandr10 Baby Girl, born 9th Nov!
    Fairie Baby Girl, born 1st Dec!
    Mil83 Baby Girl, born 25 Nov!

Beltzar 11th
    CunningStunt 11th
    Excited 12th/13th
    Kiwi2011 14th
    Afternoon Tea 14th
    Guesswhat 16th
    Elle13 Baby Boy, born 22nd Nov!
    Soooky 17th
    Annabananas 20th-24th
    lulu1985 20th Dec
    Startingagain 21st
    Carlows 23rd
    HBelle 23rd
    June Bird 24th
    kidcummins 25th
    AlwaysNumber1 27th
    Hello Lady 27th
    Therealgirl 27th
    Corkie2011 29th
    Sweet_pea 29th
    Being nosy and would like to see how this has filled up in the two weeks, if the new mammies have time to add themselves!!

• Advertisement

Meant to say huge congrats to Cunning Stunt, was thinking of you on the big day and am so happy it all worked out ok.

Afternoon tea, just wondering how you got on today, if you went for the sweep? Have you had any contractions/braxons hicks at all over the past few weeks?

I had a terrible pain yesterday at the bottom of the bump on the inside, made me stop in my tracks. Have been have mildish cramps since but nothing regular.

I am also bored out of my tree of all this pregnancy lark, although amazingly enough I utter the shocking words "when I have the next one..". Never really saw myself with one baby so don't know where that some from!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Soooky

Hi everyone! We had our beautiful baby girl last Thursday :D:D:D Had to have c section in the end as our little lady decided to turn facing op position so had back labour to 9cm and then she got stuck! We are over the moon to have her here in our arms and are completely in love with her!! Can't stop gazing at her :) Best of luck to everyone!!

Soooky wrote: »
    Hi everyone! We had our beautiful baby girl last Thursday :D:D:D Had to have c section in the end as our little lady decided to turn facing op position so had back labour to 9cm and then she got stuck! We are over the moon to have her here in our arms and are completely in love with her!! Can't stop gazing at her :) Best of luck to everyone!!

Congrats!

Soooky wrote: »

Congratulations Soooky!!! What did you call her?? :) hope you are recovering well from c section and enjoying this special time x

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    Meant to say huge congrats to Cunning Stunt, was thinking of you on the big day and am so happy it all worked out ok.

Afternoon tea, just wondering how you got on today, if you went for the sweep? Have you had any contractions/braxons hicks at all over the past few weeks?

I had a terrible pain yesterday at the bottom of the bump on the inside, made me stop in my tracks. Have been have mildish cramps since but nothing regular.

I am also bored out of my tree of all this pregnancy lark, although amazingly enough I utter the shocking words "when I have the next one..". Never really saw myself with one baby so don't know where that some from!!

Hi Sweet Pea, I have my appointment this afternoon, I'm not planning on a getting the sweep but will see. I am getting Braxton hicks pretty regularly now, I wouldn't say they are painful,just really tight and uncomfortable. Also have period like cramps most of the day and more jelly discharge. I'm feeling so much pressure down there it's really hurting to walk! Was so convinced baby was going to arrive last night, the pressure felt like babies head was just going to pop out! But no arrival as yet!!! I've been on the exercise ball this morning which feels lovely. I've been eating loads of pineapple too which apparently is meant to help speed things up!! Worth a try ha!

It's such a weird thing just waiting around isn't it?! Been busy enough the past while so I'm really trying to do very little now and just chill out and watch films etc! Hope you are doing ok- funny even catching yourself thinking about the next one isn't it ha! At this stage I'm put off- 9 or should I say 10 months is SUCH a long time!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

Hi All,
    I'm 39wks +2days today. Consultant did sweep on me yesterday but said baby's head was high & cervix still raw so didn't think sweep would work. Back again Monday morning.
    It's great to hear about all the healthy Dec arrivals

I'm feeling so much pressure down there it's really hurting to walk! Was so convinced baby was going to arrive last night, the pressure felt like babies head was just going to pop out!

Yeah I'm like this too, really understand why some pregnant women woddle now!! Feel like he has no room left now either and spends most of his time up under my ribs.

I heard about the pineapple thing too but my appitete is so crap at the moment I just can't face it. I'm actually crossing my legs tonight though as would hate to have to go out in that weather.

Best of luck tomorrow Hello lady, will be thinking of you.

Well saw midwife, she was so lovely and suggested doing the sweep, although I wasn't planning on getting one I changed my mind and went for it. Anyway turns out baby's head is far down but my cervix isn't ripe and hasn't moved :( felt really disappointed so she wasn't actually able to do a sweep! She said baby is unlikely to arrive this week, am booked in for a scan on Xmas eve now and was told to bring my bags just in case!
    Had a little cry when I got home as was so convinced baby would arrive over next few days as I feel so heavy but now I'm just telling myself baby will arrive when it's ready and I'll have the baby by 28th at least!!
    Gosh this baby business is emotional isn't it!!!! ;)

Ah sucks Afternoon tea, I suppose at least the end is somewhere in sight, that's what I'm clinging to anyway, at some point very soon I won't be pregnant.

I seem to be getting a sensitive sense of smell again, everything is making me want to puke tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Corkie2011

Hi mammies and mammies to be.

Haven't being on in a few days. So congrats to everyone who's being busy having there bundles of joy and best of luck on thoses still waiting.
    We had our little boy on Monday afternoon by c section. Even thou it was planned it was still scarey but so much easier then our previous emergency one. It was so strange, going into hospital not in pain knowing that you were going to have a baby in a few hours.
    Can't wait to get home. Don't like being in hospital, always feel much better at home no matter what pain I'm in.
    Best of luck everyone and happy christmas xx

Advertisement