Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if a bomb went off

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

From the barron report
    . A finding that members of the security forces in Northern Ireland could have been involved in the bombings is neither fanciful nor absurd, given the number of instances in which similar illegal activity has been proven.However, the material assessed by the Inquiry is insufficient to suggest that senior members of the security forces in Northern Ireland were in any way involved in the bombings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gallag wrote: »
    From the barron report
    . A finding that members of the security forces in Northern Ireland could have been involved in the bombings is neither fanciful nor absurd, given the number of instances in which similar illegal activity has been proven.However, the material assessed by the Inquiry is insufficient to suggest that senior members of the security forces in Northern Ireland were in any way involved in the bombings.

Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

kfallon wrote: »
    Sure anytime a bomb went off in Ireland before those that planted it were usually kind enough to ring in to let us know they did it. No need for the Gardaí at all, at all!

In fact they were often sound enough to let us know beforehand where the bomb even was!

Apart from Dublin, Monaghan,Omagh,Enniskillen,Le Mon................

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was really stunned when some guy on RTE Drivetime started saying "this is going to present massive security difficulties at the london marathon"

seriously?

i'm not sure what their point was, but i'm pretty sure these lads weren't making political statements about marathons like...

They're worried about potential copycat offenders.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep.

Ha, so because their is no evidence to support this claim it must be true?

• Advertisement

Ha, so because their is no evidence to support this claim it must be true?

No. He didn't have sufficient material in front of him. For some reason - Jesus only knows what it could be - the people across the water were less than forthcoming in assisting the inquiry.

If the UVF could run a bombing campaign in 1974, why were they stuck playing with pipe bombs for most of the rest of the conflict?

No. He didn't have sufficient material in front of him. For some reason - Jesus only knows what it could be - the people across the water were less than forthcoming in assisting the inquiry.

If the UVF could run a bombing campaign in 1974, why were they stuck playing with pipe bombs for most of the rest of the conflict?

From the report.

The loyalist groups who carried out the bombings in Dublin were capable of doing so without help from any section of the security forces in Northern Ireland, though this does not rule out the involvement of individual RUC, UDR or British Army members.The Monaghan bombing bears all the hallmarks of a standard loyalist operation and required no assistance.

From the report.

The loyalist groups who carried out the bombings in Dublin were capable of doing so without help from any section of the security forces in Northern Ireland, though this does not rule out the involvement of individual RUC, UDR or British Army members.The Monaghan bombing bears all the hallmarks of a standard loyalist operation and required no assistance.

My hole they were. They did fuck all for the rest of the conflict. Did they lose the plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

Ahhh I despair at folk sometimes. The youth don't know what went on in their own country and others don't know how to make up their own minds on matters because of how they were brought up.

My hole they were. They did fuck all for the rest of the conflict. Did they lose the plans?

You are the one that brought this report into it, is the report to be believed or not? Or just the good bits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

cena wrote: »
    I mean a big bomb. I know the IRA have let bombs off in ireland

It is scary that people are growing up in Ireland with no comprehension of the atrocities that were carried out on all sides in the recent past.

The Schools could do worse than put Reeling in The Years onto the Syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I reckon our lads would be too busy making appearances appealing for information from the public to bother with an actual investigation process.
    If anyone saw a suspicious vay-hic-cle in the area ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Stick to stink bombs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

You've obviously never been to McDonald's on O'Connell St. if you think bombs never go off regularly in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

no arrests hence no link. The British Government wanted the south to clamp down on the IRA so they had the UVF explode bombs in the south.

Mod
    Re reg troll banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You've obviously never been to McDonald's on O'Connell St. if you think bombs never go off regularly in this country.

Please elaborate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pepsirebel

If the shootout occurred here with the #1 suspect, he'ld probably get a payout for the guards returning fire & killing him, even though he murdered people & injured 100's and was on the run!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Americans are obsessed with terrorists/bombs/guns etc. They have a ridiculous amount of FBI and police so its a lot easier for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

The UVF realised that bombs were indiscriminate and a very crude, blunt weapon. Easier, safer and better just to kill the PIRA extremists directly by way of shooting.

gutteruu wrote: »
    Americans are obsessed with terrorists/bombs/guns etc. They have a ridiculous amount of FBI and police so its a lot easier for them.

Amazing to see the fuss a nation of almost 300 million make over a few extremists with a few bombs. In the UK the authorities there had to put up with a lot worse.

• Advertisement

true wrote: »
    The UVF realised that bombs were indiscriminate and a very crude, blunt weapon. Easier, safer and better just to kill the PIRA extremists directly by way of shooting.

Anymore transparent and the post would be invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

39 years and counting

This!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

In fairness, the army seem to be fairly good at getting to any bombs before they go off here.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Skid X wrote: »
    It is scary that people are growing up in Ireland with no comprehension of the atrocities that were carried out on all sides in the recent past.

The Schools could do worse than put Reeling in The Years onto the Syllabus.

The 'I'm too young to remember what the IRA did' and 'I mean a big bomb' comments are a bit bewildering alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

well its 30 yrs since the dublin/monaghan bombings and still no arrests!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

cena wrote: »
    I mean a big bomb. I know the IRA have let bombs off in ireland

For a start, look up Bloody Friday. In all honesty, probably the biggest terrorist bombing I've ever heard of, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We have a better CCTV system in our City Centre than Boston. It wouldn't take long to spot the culprits as long as the Gardai were give the man power.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

For a start, look up Black Friday. In all honesty, probably the biggest terrorist bombing I've ever heard of, anywhere.

Not to be pedantic, but isn't the Belfast bombing usually referred to as Bloody Friday? I've never heard of it as Black Friday(apart from a couple of times in this thread). Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Il Trap wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, but isn't the Belfast bombing usually referred to as Bloody Friday? I've never heard of it as Black Friday(apart from a couple of times in this thread). Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the USA.
    In the 70's and 80's the PIRA were planting bombs not unlike like the Boston bombs ( in that they killed and maimed people ) every week or two. Those in Boston who gave Noraid money in those years can see for themselves the effects of such bombs now.

Advertisement