Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic

Options
  • 17-04-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭

There are three simple ways that all the passengers could have been saved...anybody know.Answers in twenty minutes.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If the ship had enough lifeboats,

If the passengers stayed at home

If the Captain collided head on with the Iceberg it would not have breached 4 water tight compartments and stayed afloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Floating doors for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

The scriptwriter wrote something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Search and Rescue Helicopters?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If the ship didn't sink, that would probably have saved a good few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

If the captain had watched a few episodes of Deadliest Catch

If all passengers had oily fur and webbed feet

If the boat was actually a motorized iceberg, like the Ice Hotel, but floating and with rudders

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Tell all the timetravellers to feck off and stop overloading the ship

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

*If they hadn't hit the iceberg
    *If the iceberg was made of lettuce
    *If the water was custard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

If the Atlantic was only 3 feet deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If you open the fridge door, then the elephant can just walk right on in...

Wait...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

if a fleet of penguins were substituted for ALL the passengers on board when it made a brief stop in ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Stinicker wrote: »
    If the ship had enough lifeboats,

If the passengers stayed at home

If the Captain collided head on with the Iceberg it would not have breached 4 water tight compartments and stayed afloat.

That's what my great-granny did and it worked.

She had bought a 2nd class ticket as soon as they went on sale (a rich paddy :P) but by April she was 6 months pregnant and didn't want the baby born in the U.S. so she didn't travel.

My Nan was born on 16th July 1912 in Cork. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Flame throwers attached, spot lights to see the fecker in the 1st place, super freezer to freeze the water as it entered, plug the hole with a whale (not a bicycle whale).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If it had been built in India instead of Belfast .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What is the point of this thread? Seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Ship went too far north. Risked icebergs in order to follow the great circle route and thus achieve a faster passage time?

When they hit the berg, the wheel was turned the wrong way?

Bulkhead doors were open, which meant that all the ship compartments flooded?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

rocket launchers on board to blow up the iceberg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

if it didnt hit an iceberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

21 mins. answers please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

What is the point of this thread? Seriously

To make sure it never happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It was holed on the right so if they had steered a tight left turn it would have raised the right out of the water or after hitting the ice they could have rammed it and beached the bow,or just simply unloaded the passengers onto the berg.Amazing nobody thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

To make sure it never happens again.

Well, best hope Kneemos is never put in charge of safety operations on a ship

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

kneemos wrote: »
    It was holed on the right so if they had steered a tight left turn it would have raised the right out of the water or after hitting the ice they could have rammed it and beached the bow,or just simply unloaded the passengers onto the berg.Amazing nobody thought of it.

I'm sorry, beaching a 46,000 tonne ship onto an iceberg? "Simply" unloading 2500 passengers onto an iceberg? I think my mind just broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

But the Iceberg would have been slippy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Unload the passengers onto the iceberg? Do you think they should have gone chasing after it and thrown a lasso around it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm sorry, beaching a 46,000 tonne ship onto an iceberg? "Simply" unloading 2500 passengers onto an iceberg? I think my mind just broke.

What the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

There are three simple ways that all the passengers could have been saved...anybody know.Answers in twenty minutes.
    1. If they had enough lifeboats (initial plans called for 3 times as many lifeboats per davitt.
    2. If the "crows nest" lookout crew had binoculars.
    3. If the watertight bulkheads went higher than E deck.
    4. If all the ice warnings sent to the Titanic had reached the captain (the two last ice reports never got to him).
    5. If the telegraph operator had recorded the final ice warning from the Californian or at least not responded in a rude manner (he was in a hurry to work through the passenger telegrams the Californian responded to that by ending its radio watch for the night)
    6. If the officer in charge of the nightshift had either headed the ship into the iceberg or simply turned rather than trying to do a "port round"
    7. If the rivets were all made of steel instead of second rate iron (some were iron, grade "Best" when highest was "Best Best" and as such had a lot of impurities (slag)).
    8. If the mysterious 3rd ship had responded to the morse lamp.
    9. If the Carpathia had been closer.
    10. If the orders from the Captain had been interpreted as Women and Children FIRST instead of Women and Children ONLY. (ok that wouldn't have saved all, but some).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

What the problem?

Physics?

What the problem?

I will give you one problem out of hundreds.

An iceberg is not a flat surface, it is made of ice. How are you supposed to have 2500 passengers on it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If Kate Winslett wasn't such a greed b1tch, she could have allowed more people to sit on the drift wood:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nq9qg7deNOQ/T5P9ukGD-aI/AAAAAAAABRg/3BFk0CdsEdU/s1600/titanic_roomfortwo_meme.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement