Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winds this Evening/Overnight gusting to 130km/hr in parts

Options
1235»

Comments

Ah jaysus people. we've had much worse wind before !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Supercell wrote: »
    Window flower box blown off. Unreal, thats a pretty heavy box ,I would have thought it was pretty much an immovable object :(

Wind 'v' Flower Box = Unstoppable force meets immovable object :D ...

Crazy wind last night, the shed in my allotment didn't blow over but was 'rotated' about 45degrees this morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It was unusual in so far as the gusts seemed to be really erratic more than extremely violent.
    Quite a bit of small debris all over the place this morning - mostly old birds nests and loose bits of shrubbery and branches and lots and lots of recycling!

Nothing too drastic in Cork City anyway.

I didn't see any evidence of structural damage / roof damage on my trip through the city centre / suburbs this morning.

Although there were some overhead traffic lights that seemed to be really taking a battering last night, but they all seem to have survived relatively unscathed.

I remember a lot worse over the years. 1986 and xmas 1997, they were much worse. And we've had worse than the last few nights in between too. I remember the storm of 97 lightning flashing also, no power, no water. I remember having to climb into the fecking attic xmas morning with buckets of rain water to keep the cooker boiler tank topped up because the ma had the Stanley roasting that morning to cook the Xmas Turkey and the water was boiling lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I think it was as recent as Jan 28th this year that we had a similar event, max gust for my area then was 65mph, last nights was 58. I agree with the above comment about the erratic nature of the gusts which were quite intermittent, luckily the sustained winds were not that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pouring hailstones here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ah jaysus people. we've had much worse wind before !!!!!

Of course we had but it doesn't mean the winds weren't dangerous last night. Should Met Eireann only issue weather alerts if its only going to be record breaking :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

aboyro wrote: »
    probably the worst night i've had here all winter, still blowin' like the bejaysus!!!!!!!!!!! not sure of windspeed yet apparently a 96km gust earlier for waterford airport but not sure. any deise boys or girls got any more accurate info??????

There was 106Km gust recorded between 5 and half 5 yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Blustery here in West Limerick with winds between 18km/h and 30km/h. Gusting to 41km/h.

Bright, dry and warm.

Of course we had but it doesn't mean the winds weren't dangerous last night. Should Met Eireann only issue weather alerts if its only going to be record breaking :confused:

LOL did I say anything about Met Eireann's warning ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

beginning to calm down rapidly here in arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Yesterday's weather on the Met Eireann site makes for interesting reading. Sherkin Island experienced a near Hurricane Strength gust (63kt), while Casement + Cork + Dublin + Shannon Airports, Roches Point and Valentia experienced gusts greater than F10. Even sites well inland like Oak Park and Johnstown Castle had gusts around 50kts.

Advertisement