Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Winds this Evening/Overnight gusting to 130km/hr in parts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

To get back to using new terms.

The gust to 66knots at Roches Point = 122km/hr

So completely justifies the Met.IE Orange warning.

I live near Riverstick co cork and already the bbq, new oil tank are gone up the garden.. Picket fencing is putting up a good fight...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Saw plenty of bins and branches all over the place on the way home. Arrived home to find some roof tiles on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I think something's happened my TV aerial here in North Cork. Saorview's gone. It had better not touch my dish!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tazio wrote: »
    I live near Riverstick co cork and already the bbq, new oil tank are gone up the garden.. Picket fencing is putting up a good fight...:(

Was the oil tank hooked up or just waiting to be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I think something's happened my TV aerial here in North Cork. Saorview's gone. It had better not touch my dish!:mad:

I read on Twitter the electricity is gone in some parts of Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I read on Twitter the electricity is gone in some parts of Cork.

OK (for now) here. I'll be well cheesed off if it goes, I've an exam tomorrow and don't fancy last minute revision by candle light. I've a headache as it is. Maybe I should stay off Boards! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Reports 1900,Strongest Gust 61kts @ Sherkin Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

57kts at Waterford airport Between 5 and half past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is it the South and South East going to get the worst of it tonight?

Getting higher in Oak Park Carlow, the closest station to me maybe 7 kms

50 Knots or 57.6 MPH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Picking up here in swords beside dublin airport, some strong gusts at the moment already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

adox wrote: »
    Is it the South and South East going to get the worst of it tonight?

At its worst now id say. Still windy but shouldn't be as strong in the second half of night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Peak wind gusts expected in southeast around midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Electricity gone here with 30 mins. Rain getting heavier but not calming the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

wind really picking up here now, should we expect much rain from this system in the north east?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

is wind stronger the higher above sea level you are? Im 157m above sea level, an area Ive only recently moved to & its like a hurricane up here, the howl of the wind was so loud sunday and last night, never heard anything like it, so really not looking forward to later tho its already pretty bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would suggest OP might edit title to something that alerts Dublin region to potential damaging gusts that can be expected fairly soon, would say 8-10 p.m. strongest gusts will hit Kildare and west Dublin, 9-11 p.m. Dublin city and Meath, and the severe gusts could then last for several more hours beyond that. Peak wind gusts of 120-130 km/hr seem plausible given the history and the gradient winds on current short range model 3h and 6h projections.

Peak gusts will probably hit Laois, Kilkenny and Carlow now to 9 p.m., slight risk of even stronger tornadic gusts as radar indicates some small-scale development. Would stress these stronger gusts (to 170 km/hr) would be very localized and may not be reported except in the aftermath as damage is inspected (talking about something like a brief touchdown of F0 tornado in the region). Let's hope if this happens it stays away from any residential areas and just hits in open country somewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wild night in these parts. As Jerry mentioned earlier a gust of 57kts or 106km/h recorded at Waterford Airport. My station recording regular gusts of 70km/h. Not a night to be out and about for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Max gust here so far of 86.1km/h, Fence in the back garden has blown down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Was so wild earlier here, not a breath now. So calm. Strange. Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

snaps wrote: »
    Was so wild earlier here, not a breath now. So calm. Strange. Mayo.

as the auld saying goes, ''its the calm before the storm'' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

snaps wrote: »
    Was so wild earlier here, not a breath now. So calm. Strange Mayo.

Still a few strong gusts here. Rain easing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

great drying all the same :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Nothing too noteworthy in Galway, just breezy with moderate gusts, driving rain is making for poor conditions but the wind isn't all that strong

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

very bad here in east cork. Electricity went down around 7:30 and just came back up there. Trees being unrooted here also

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

West Cork getting a hammering too. I'm near Dunmanway. Parts of our fence have blown down. It's so bad, small pebbles of gravel are blowing off the drive and hitting our glass patio door!! That's a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Incredible wind in Arklow. Roof tiles are lifting on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

this is crazy crazy wind here on the north side of cork. this is feckin april like

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Hows the wind at dublin airport.seems to be good few flights holding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Bad gusts here in East Co. Limerick. The garage doors are banging like crazy.

Advertisement