Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't there a GAA game for Xbox/Ps3?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Hahaha the commentators at halftime..."now the players are going in for a cup of tea and a banana!"

"Fist pass to no-one in particular". Christ it was awful ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Its 2k sports. They do seem to be very good. I picked up their tennis game (topspin 4) for around 15 quid few months back, wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be brilliant and I'm not even into tennis.

Think they are doing the new wwe game this year

I just went onto there page there and they gave an email address for people who would be interested in partners or were interested in making a game with them.I wonder what response i'd get if i claimed to be from the GAA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm still waiting on a health and safety based game series, Manual Handling Hero. It can't suck anymore than a GAA game. The trick is to bend your knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think we'll see Shenmue 3 before we see another GAA game on any console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Would the match against the dubs be delayed for 20 minutes in the new game? Make it realistic.While it's uploading,they could have recreated images of jackeens belatedly leaving the pub and pissing at every junction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There was a hurling management game a few years ago as well "Bainisteoir", it was next to impossible to play, no matter how well you got on you'd be fired the second season.

The Gaelic Football game at the time was badly affected by the GPA ruling that players and their images couldn't be used, they had to re-do the commentary at very short notice, as a first stab at a game it was very good, but unfortunately it was being compared to the likes of Fifa and Pro-Evo that had been around for years before hand and were a whole lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

For some reason GAA players think they're superstars and their local communities give them a strange god like status. I can only imagine Sony rolling around laughing when the lads ask for millions in royalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

kowloon wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on a health and safety based game series, Manual Handling Hero. It can't suck anymore than a GAA game. The trick is to bend your knees.

It's a tricky game to master. I keep spraining my back on the 30kg level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

smash wrote: »
    For some reason GAA players think they're superstars and their local communities give them a strange god like status. I can only imagine Sony rolling around laughing when the lads ask for millions in royalties.

That wasn't really the problem, it was more to do with the fact that the GAA sold the rights to use the players names and then the GPA stood up and said they couldn't do that cause they didn't represent the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

NTMK wrote: »
    a lot when you factor in licensing costs and the year-18months development cycle it goes through. they're the 2 most profitable franchise's on EA sports books

for a gaa game to match Fifa 13 (13+ mill sold) it would require every man, woman and child to buy at least 2 copies maybe 3

Madden sells ~5-7 Mill every year

rugby games were not profitable and hence why EA stopped publishing them

a GAA game would sell maybe 50,000 units total and thats optimistic

no market for it

Don't forget that EA make millions with the Ultimate Team trading card aspect of FIFA too. FIFA 12 made $108m alone from downloadable content.

FIFA Ultimate Team - as a standalone digital purchase for FIFA 12 - was also the second best-selling EA title in the UK for the fiscal year of 2012.

Sports games are just damn expensive these days to develop and to succeed they have to become more like fully-featured services rather than standalone games. You would need to invest millions to have a hope of a half-decent GAA title.

One possible idea though would be for an indie development team to pitch a deliberately low-budget GAA title on Kickstarter and see if anyone bites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Heh, I wanna play this game now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

It's a tricky game to master. I keep spraining my back on the 30kg level.

R1 + R2 to keep your back straight for power boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Clareman wrote: »
    The Gaelic Football game at the time was badly affected by the GPA ruling that players and their images couldn't be used, they had to re-do the commentary at very short notice, as a first stab at a game it was very good, but unfortunately it was being compared to the likes of Fifa and Pro-Evo that had been around for years before hand and were a whole lot better.

You're being way too generous there Clareman.

I wouldn't mind it having no player names or the commentary being poor if the gameplay was decent. I also understood that it was never going to be as fluid as Pro Evo.

The problem with it was that it was completely unplayable. I remember playing against a mate who never plays video games. I myself would have been handy enough at them. He beat me in a thrilling contest 0-2 to 0-1.
    An absolute abomination of game. Hands down the worst I've ever played on any console, ever and I say that as a GAA fan who would have wanted it to succeed.

Whoever coded it should be ashamed of themselves! The GAA deserved better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Yurt wrote: »
    Why haven't EA or some other big developers decided to make a decent Gaa game for the Ps3/Xbox.

Because companies like to make money, that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

get a hold of the movie Indie Game and you will see why no small developer has created it either.
    I always wondered if some indie developer went to some like Konami and bought the Pro Evo 5 engine and used that as a base to develop a GAA game would it work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

GAA. The sports that the rest of the world have looked at and said 'No thanks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Surely the lack of opposable thumbs would have prevented most supporters from playing. :pac:

* runs & hides from Clareman *

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you could play Speedball 2, lots of pushing and violence, played by thugs, no real skill involved, sure its exactly the same :pac:

ottostreet wrote: »

I don't want to veer too far off topic but..

Gaelic and Hurling are fast field games that are as exciting as fook when played right. A top level game in Croke Park with a full house cannot be beat. Mon the GAA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Didn't they bomb commercially? I'm sure they sold a few in Ireland but hardly any internationally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

ottostreet wrote: »

It was never offered to the rest of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jimoslimos wrote: »

This is why. Gameplay was atrocious.

TBH there isn't the market here to fund any sort of meaningful development.

That's sh**e.
    It's totally unrealistic.
    Not once did I see Paul Galvin have a go at the ref or see an Armagh player do a third man tackle.

Anyway the controllers would never be up to giving enough of a vibration to simulate the real hits, the sneaky elbows, the ball grabbing, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I don't want to veer too far off topic but..

Gaelic and Hurling are fast field games that are as exciting as fook when played right. A top level game in Croke Park with a full house cannot be beat. Mon the GAA :)

Wait, so a sport played at the highest level by skilled teams giving an exceptional performance are usually entertaining?

Holy fuck... are you sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The game would probably be too boring for people outside of Ireland that would not have the same understanding of the game compared to Irish people therefore it would not sell.

Wait, so a sport played at the highest level by skilled teams giving an exceptional performance are usually entertaining?

Holy fuck... are you sure?

Wind your neck in.

The comparison with other sports is usually with the EPL or the top level of Rugby. The GAA is played by completely amateur players. I can line out for my local club even if I'm not that good. So a lot of club games will not be the best showcase.

But when the best from every county play each other in an arena like Croke Park then the games are taken to another level and stand up to other sports in intensity, excitement and skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Nobody outside Ireland would really be bothered about bogball obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They can't figure out how to program a shamozzle

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

P_1 wrote: »
    Didn't they bomb commercially? I'm sure they sold a few in Ireland but hardly any internationally.

Nope, the hurling one wasnt great sales wise afaik but the football one was huge for a few weeks, until people realised it was complete gash

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not enough people want one or would pay for one.

The newest Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million units worldwide and was deemed a sales failure. A current generation GAA game would sell 20,000 copies tops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

I remember all of the hype around this game when it was being developed and came out. I think I read in the papers that there was two rival games in the works at one stage owing to the GPA thing.

I also distinctly being in my friend's house just after he got it and it was terrible. The lack of real names really made it uncool.

I think it was a real celtic tiger one, we were finally financially worth having our own computer game!

Advertisement