Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why isn't there a GAA game for Xbox/Ps3?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Because it's p1ss easy to knock a football over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

krudler wrote: »
    Haaa, I remember that, it was an official GAA bundle and it was cheaper than buying just the normal ps2 on its own, and people would rather pay more and get the standard blue boxed ps2 than the one with the GAA logo plastered all over it.

That's the one. And even when we started running out of any playstations, people still took persuading.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The first one is probably the worst game I have ever played, the second actually wasnt that bad, at least it was playable. I know its never going to happen but I would love to see what it would be like if Konami or 2K Sports made a GAA game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Because it's p1ss easy to knock a football over the bar.

If this video is anything to go by then it's clearly not!
    Jimoslimos wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I bought that game in HMV on Grafton street when it came out first. It was terrible. Luckily with HMV you could return it no questions asked. So that's what I did and got Pro Evo instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That's the one. And even when we started running out of any playstations, people still took persuading.

Yup, We had one sitting on the stock room shelf for yonks, the manager wrote it off as faulty and we put it in the canteen to use :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

They were shockingly bad. I still can't believe they tested the games and decided to release them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

Wilberto wrote: »
    If this video is anything to go by then it's clearly not!

There's a distinct lack of Mikasa gloves in that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Sensible Soccer Gaelic Football

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    You see define best selling game of the year in Ireland? 25,000 being really kind? There just isn't the market OP. I know there's other niche sports games being sold here like Madden or NHL live or whatever but they aren't made for with the Irish market in mind. Outside of Ireland the game would sell fook all and wouldn't break even I would imagine

25,000 sold? I think I paid 45 quid for it. Some of my mates paid €50

Taking in roughly €1.2 million on a game that looks to have been thrown together in a week is not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Wasn't that game made in Australia? It was just an AFL game changed slightly for Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wasn't that game made in Australia? It was just an AFL game changed slightly for Ireland.
    It was made by an Austrailian company called IR Gurus, they went out of business in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

i can make a game for you guys from my home and sell it to you what do you think? one thing for sure it will be better than the past versions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah the first one had all the licensed jerseys with correct sponsors, it also had the grounds. However if I remember correctly the GPA (players association) failed to reach an agreement with the developers, so no real player names were featured.

I never bothered with the follow up or the hurling game, were they any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Sure the game was so bad it ended up being great craic playing it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

25,000 sold? I think I paid 45 quid for it. Some of my mates paid €50

Taking in roughly €1.2 million on a game that looks to have been thrown together in a week is not bad.

Taking out the stores cut, development budget, marketing budget, manufacturing etc I doubt it turned that big of a profit. Certainly not enough for any serious developer to consider it. The 25k figure I just pulled out of the air tbh. Wouldnt have a clue how much it would take to top the year end charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

But if they actually made it into a good game do you think that people with no interest in the sport would buy it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Because nobody will buy it. Even if 30-40000 people buy it(which is probably optimistic) they'll hardly make back the money they spent on developing it.

And as far as I can remember the last effort at making a GAA game was abysmal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Yurt wrote: »
    But if they actually made it into a good game do you think that people with no interest in the sport would buy it ?

No.

No.

But people buy Madden,NHL,Tiger Woods etc....I know they have massive markets compared to GAA but i'd still like to see what % of people that buy these games are actually fans of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

But people buy Madden,NHL,Tiger Woods etc....I know they have massive markets compared to GAA but i'd still like to see what % of people that buy these games are actually fans of the sport.

People have a mild interest in those sports though, the ones that actually buy the games.

Not in a million years would I buy a GAA game, but that's just me.

SV wrote: »
    People have a mild interest in those sports though, the ones that actually buy the games.

Not in a million years would I buy a GAA game, but that's just me.

I have no interest in American Football whatsoever but i played it at one of the lads houses and enjoyed it so i got it for xmas.

For a start most people will not buy a sports game if they don't know the rules or have never even heard of the sport!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I have no interest in American Football whatsoever but i played it at one of the lads houses and enjoyed it so i got it for xmas.

That's because American Football translates well to a video game. GAA just doesn't.

That's because American Football translates well to a video game. GAA just doesn't.

It could translate well if it was developed properly. We will probably never know.

How much would EA spend on devolping Fifa or Madden ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Gaelic Football can't have been that hard to make, just get the original gameplay coding from American Football , Soccer & Rugby games as the basis to work from.

Hurling just use Ice Hockey & Lacrosse coding & gameplay as the basis. Just change the sticks & baskets :pac:

EA Sports have both Lacrosse & Ice Hockey games out & updated over many years, alongside other companies.

Many computer games companies just update the graphics and players every year with the same coding used.

Depends on access to the coding & licence costs. Small companies might not be able to gain access to these nor afford the charges?

The team that made NBA 2K13 would make a briliant GAA game, Suppose there is f*ck all money in it so none of the big companies would ever bother their holes trying to develep one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

How much would EA spend on devolping Fifa or Madden ?

a lot when you factor in licensing costs and the year-18months development cycle it goes through. they're the 2 most profitable franchise's on EA sports books

for a gaa game to match Fifa 13 (13+ mill sold) it would require every man, woman and child to buy at least 2 copies maybe 3

Madden sells ~5-7 Mill every year

rugby games were not profitable and hence why EA stopped publishing them

a GAA game would sell maybe 50,000 units total and thats optimistic

no market for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The team that made NBA 2K13 would make a briliant GAA game, Suppose there is f*ck all money in it so none of the big companies would ever bother their holes trying to develep one.

Its 2k sports. They do seem to be very good. I picked up their tennis game (topspin 4) for around 15 quid few months back, wasn't expecting much but it turned out to be brilliant and I'm not even into tennis.

Think they are doing the new wwe game this year

Advertisement