Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends comeback ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

http://www.starmedia.us/entertainment/nbc-confirms-friends-new-comeback-season-reunion.html

If this is true it will only ruin the legacy of one of the best shows of all time

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not in a million years one of the best shows ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

http://www.starmedia.us/entertainment/nbc-confirms-friends-new-comeback-season-reunion.html

If this is true it will only ruin the legacy of one of the best shows of all time

As far as I know its not true I could be wrong but apparently that is the only site running that story. I hope its not true.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't hold your breath a rumour like this surfaces every couple of months, it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The only reason I looked at it was for Jennifer Anistons boobs,I would still watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭squonk

Early on I think it was funny but that didn't last long and it seriously outstayed its welcome. It was largely a crappy enough show and I was delighted to see the back of it. Don't want to see a comeback. In any case, most of them have moved on to bigger, better things so might not want to look back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

kneemos wrote: »
    The only reason I looked at it was for Jennifer Anistons boobs,I would still watch it.
    I think she was the reason most guys watched it! She still looks good, and the others' self-valuations must have deflated by now [their huge fee demands were what led to the show being cancelled before] - so why not have another season.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

squonk wrote: »
    Early on I think it was funny but that didn't last long and it seriously outstayed its welcome. It was largely a crappy enough show and I was delighted to see the back of it. Don't want to see a comeback. In any case, most of them have moved on to bigger, better things so might not want to look back!

To be fair none of them hit the heights of fame they were hoping to hit after Friends ended and seeing how towards the end of the last series they were being paid a million an episode each you could see why they would go back.

But they won't go back, the show is best left where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I could only see a one-off if it were to happen (probably minus Aniston and Cox). Perhaps the property bubble bursts and they're all living in a tenement surviving on cold soup and beans. Phoebe has gone on to be a multizillion selling megastar but still supports Ross's crack habit. The balloon crash that killed Rachel and Monica still haunts Joey (as he was the one that escaped with his life although he lost any feeling below the waist).

lockie1983 wrote: »
    To be fair none of them hit the heights of fame they were hoping to hit after Friends ended and seeing how towards the end of the last series they were being paid a million an episode each you could see why they would go back.

But they won't go back, the show is best left where it is.

To be fair, I think Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer, and Courtney Cox have moved on to do things they enjoy more -
    Perry has gotten to show his actin ability in shows like West Wing, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and Go On.
    David Scwimmer got to direct Run Fatboy Run, which was surprisingly good, and even show he can act pretty well in Band of Brothers.
    And Cox eventually moved into another successful TV show.

Granted none of them are as famous as they used to be, but I much prefer the way they are now.

NBC and Friends creators have released a statement confirming there will be NO comeback for Friends.

And with that this Thread can R.I.P. until the next rumour due in a few months :)

• Advertisement

lockie1983 wrote: »
    NBC and Friends creators have released a statement confirming there will be NO comeback for Friends.

And with that this Thread can R.I.P. until the next rumour due in a few months :)

The facts will never stop a good rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's not in a million years one of the best shows ever.

Too true, its contemporaries like Seinfeld and Frasier wiped the floor with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

50314_288865372137_2985807_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Courtney Cox has Cougar Town
    Matthew Perry has Go On
    David Schwimmer has his behind the camera stuff
    Lisa Kudrow and Matt Le Blanc both had cable shows (not sure if they still do, but 'twas recently enough)
    Jennifer Aniston is doing pretty good in the Hollywood roles
    and all of the cast and creators have openly said in interviews that the show ended how they wanted to, so there was no reason for a reunion...
    not to mention given the current state of NBC, they would not be able to pay any of them...

Its not gonna happen anytime soon...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Where does Frasier come, then? ;)

Then how come I'm able to make this post? :confused::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I've always felt Friends was a bit lame at times, certainly not one of the best shows of all time for me. Barely worth watching a lot of the time tbh. There are so many better comedies than it, I could never work out people's love of it, it was never that funny for me. If anything the characters were what made it watchable.

I've always felt Friends was a bit lame at times, certainly not one of the best shows of all time for me. Barely worth watching a lot of the time tbh. There are so many better comedies than it, I could never work out people's love of it, it was never that funny for me. If anything the characters were what made it watchable.

Joey added a lot to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm not saying is the best show written ever, but I think it's funny. Doesn't stop people trying to be cool and saying they don't like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'm not saying is the best show written ever, but I think it's funny. Doesn't stop people trying to be cool and saying they don't like it.

Or maybe they just... yeknow... don't like it that much and didn't from when they were 12.
    kneemos wrote: »
    Joey added a lot to it.

yeah I think all the main characters were good, though Rachel was always a bit weak for me and I don't like the actress (though I know others do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,944 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I won't tune in. The show died the minute Chandler and Monica go together. Chandler's character was no longer the same. He was pretty much the only real comedy actor. Superb. The others paled in comparison. Rachel and Phoebe being extras. I could watch every scene with Chandler in the first 4 seasons. He was just so brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aSligoDub

squonk wrote: »

It jumped the shark when joey and boob girl got together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

you guys are all crazy, Ross Geller was one of the greatest comedy characters of all time.

official friends power rankings:

Ross
    Chandler
    Monica
    Joey
    Rachel
    Phoebe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat,
    What are they feeding you?
    Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat
    It's not your fault

(C) Phoebe

eat your heart out, Lennon and McCartney

aSligoDub wrote: »

:confused: - pics or GTFO!

Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat,
    What are they feeding you?
    Smelly Cat, Smelly Cat
    It's not your fault

(C) Phoebe

eat your heart out, Lennon and McCartney

Yes, yes....shirley a modern day classic

aSligoDub wrote: »

Boob girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Boob girl?

th?id=H.5064342899328552&pid=15.1

Ohh.. thought it was that Elle Macpherson person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair to Friends, it only struggled in the last couple of seasons due to fatigue. The limit of the characters' personalities had basically been explored and exploited, and coupled with constant reruns of the older series, they were more of the same and not particularly funny.

If you watch the last 2/3 series in isolation now, they're easily as good as the earlier stuff. The first series actually looks really poor and dated now - cheap jokes and bizarre storylines with no character progression - but that's typically the case with most sitcoms when they get the green light to do more than ten episodes.

The series will be ten years finished next year. At best they may go for a one-off hour-long special, but I think that's unlikely. It would be seen for what it is - a lazy attempt to rake in some easy cash - and would probably ruin the legacy of what many people consider to be the best sitcom of the 90s.

Advertisement