Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Sails [Starz - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

yeah renewed a few months ago for a 10 episode second season

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I believe that they started shooting the second season last November in South Africa so most of it is probably already filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,807 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I've never read Treasure Island and I don't remember any of the adaptations, so it's annoying when people say things like (spoiler for after Episode 7 at least)
    Billy isn't dead, because he's in Treasure Island

without marking it as a spoiler. It's like Spartacus and Boardwalk Empire all over again where they seem to act like "Oh everyone knows what happened anyway"

Anyway, I was surprised at the new Quartermaster but not disappointed as I like him. Next episode should be a good finale, though I can see it ending on a cliffhanger

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

In fiarness Castor it's been years since I read Treasure Island myself but even a quick read of the Wikipedia page for the book tells you that Silver and Billy become friends and it's on this that TI is based. Flint trusts Billy with the location of his treasure. It's hardly a spoiler really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Believe it or not, not everybody who is watching the show has gone to the TI wikipedia page to see what happens next.

It's years (decades even) since I read TI and have no idea what happens. So you've just posted another spoiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I find it hard to believe that anybody is unaware of the basic plotline of Treasure Island. Even the Muppets did a version (quite a good one at that). And given that Treasure Island mainly consists of John Silver's version of events, I'm assuming the producers of Black Sails fell free to play fast and loose with the content.

All I remember about Treasure Island is
    there's a pirate called Long John Silver
    . And that Tim Curry was in the Muppets version. :D

So I think best practice would just be to either spoiler references to the book or not mention the book.

I know I kind of started this whole discussion myself, so apologies.

Unfortunately I'm away this weekend so won't even get to see the finale until Monday at the earliest. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm away this weekend so won't even get to see the finale until Monday at the earliest. :(

Ah balls. I assumed it was 10 episodes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Excellent final episode. The writers have created a good cast of characters. Looking forward to season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Just finished it there. Great episode. Perfect way end it all setting up the next season. The more the season went on the more I got into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ah b@lls, I didn't know that was the season finale, nice little show this, Spartacus meets Pirates of the Caribbean :)

When I saw all the cannon flaps open on the other ship I just thought "Oh f**k!"

Now have to wait another 9 or 10 months for the next episode.

Really liking this series, though it does make me want to visit Cape Town

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

I didn't realise that was the final episode either :(. Great episode overall and I'm bugged too that I've to wait almost a year to see events transpire on the island.

Anyone else starting to lose interest in what's happening back at base, all the goings on with Ms. Guthrie and the fort and all that? It just took away from the excitement of the latest episode cutting back to the island politics. I don't care enough about those characters tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think there's a great setup happening, can't go back home cause they aren't in control, can't sail away cause their ship is in bits, can't attack the Spanish cause they are outgunned, looking forward to the next series already.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When I saw all the cannon flaps open on the other ship I just thought "Oh f**k!"

Now have to wait another 9 or 10 months for the next episode.

Really liking this series, though it does make me want to visit Cape Town

Yeah, the flaps opening was a great shot. Like a kid with a water pistol shooting at a grownup with an AK47. Once those flaps opened me and Flint were on the same page - i.e. "how good is my swimming ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Just caught up with it there. Great show and great last episode, also didnt realise it was the season finale either.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

Season 2 started last night, so I grabbed S02E01 as soon as I could, and had it with my tea and toast this morning.

Great Episode, thrills, spills, blood, and guts,, Well worth catching..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Cheers for the reminder satguy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Flint and Silver are great together. Loved their scenes. What the heck happened to Dufresne? It's a new guy this season. Just as well they had the Harry Potter glasses to keep us straight!! He's no Captain and he's going to make it easy for Flint to win back the ship.

Low seems like a nasty piece of work.

Still miss Billy Bones :(

Funny how there are a lot of bi-sexual women, but no bi-sexual men.;)

• Advertisement

Good start to the season. Flint and Silver working together is enjoyable.

I wouldn't have minded a recap at the beginning of the episode.

Excellent stuff. This is obviously the start of the real junior / senior partnership between Long John / Flint that was hinted at in Treasure Island.

Good show this, really fill the void of mindless violence & nudity left by Spartacus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Did anyone watch Crossbones as well as this? I enjoyed this more and only stuck a few episodes of crossbones before I gave up

I tried to watch Crossbones a couple of times but I just couldn't get into it so I dropped it fairly quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the best theme music ever is back

did they recast the ships accounting guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

the best theme music ever is back

did they recast the ships accounting guy

I think they just shaved his hair off :p

Edit: ...No you're right they did recast

Jannes is overcoming brain cancer, which flared up suddenly late 2013, sadly forcing him to leave the cast of Black Sails. When asked about this time he says, "Well two things happened: I got my big break... and then I broke. But I'm blessed to have had the experience. It was like winning the career lottery. I met some great people and made lifelong friends."

Source

Terribly sad for the actor.

Flipping heck! Great episode and
    Billy Fecking Bones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

Really great episode this weekend,, This new captain seems to be a bit of a nutter, only two weeks in and he has already
    wiped out one crew, and beheaded some guy down the local bar. If he keeps that up, he'll be barred from that bar, OH wait, I think he killed the doorman after the beheading so maybe he'll be ok for a pint next weekend after all.

Advertisement