Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condescending attitudes towards people who bought houses during the boom

Options
  • 13-04-2013 12:04pm
    Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭

We all know what a property boom and bust looks like now as we've seen it happen

We know the government did all it could to keep the good times rolling and tried its best to suppress any bad news about an impending crash

We know now that if you see slapped up houses being sold for mad money and if you have the bank battering down the door so that they may please give you a loan that's a good sign you need to stay put and don't borrow anything.

Thats all grand but if you were suddenly plonked into a tiny rented overpriced apartment or a crowded parent's house in 2004/2005 without your memory of what happened next and all you can see is the prices going up and up I bet you too would be tempted to run up to Bank of Ireland and get a 110% mortgage before property will seem permanently out of your reach.

For a time around 2003 in the UK there was a trend for people to hold off with buying a house thinking there was going to be a crash, these people had great forsight but a lot of them thought the crash was going to happen that year, not in 4/5 years time. A good few of these probably gave up waiting for the crash to happen and bought a year or two after.

It doesn't help to start calling people who bought during the boom idiots and morons. It might have been apparent that a crash was going to happen but nobody knew exactly when. These people had a life and a job and they probably weren't economists. They didn't need to know loads about the economy, things were good and they were making money. We all have great ideas about how to better the economy now but that wasn't the case at the height of the boom. I'd say a lot of those berating people who bought during the boom were too busy watching pokemon to even notice what was going on but they're experts on all things economy now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Is that you Alison?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

hahaha... stupid homeowners

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Greed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fair few people might see it as turnabout for getting condescending attitudes from them during the boom for not buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

There's a difference between being condescending and having no sympathy.

People made choices of free will. I don't judge them for it, but it is neither mine nor anyone else's fault they are in the situation they are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I bought during the boom.

I am very happy where I live and have no plans to move.

My monthly repayments are much lower than what it would cost me to rent a similar property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Op, I presume you also bought during the boom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

padd b1975 wrote: »

My monthly repayments are much lower than what it would cost me to rent a similar property.

You took a huge risk and you still pissed away 200K that you didn't need to.

The difference in someone buying in 2006 for 400K and in 2012 for 200K is about 400K in mortgage repayments. Rental payments for those 6 years might amount to 80K. A person renting is far better placed to take job opportunties in Ireland and abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You should know by now that in AH the intensity of critical opinion is always directly proportional to the lack of experience of the actual situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Joe Hart wrote: »

The difference in someone buying in 2006 for 400K and in 2012 for 200K is about 400K in mortgage repayments. Rental payments for those 6 years might amount to 80K. A person renting is far better placed to take job opportunties in Ireland and abroad.

Do you know his circumstances?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

padd b1975 wrote: »

Tracker mortgages are considerably easier to service than variable. A 200k variable mortgage is about €900 > €1100 per month. Mortgage repayments are pretty much the same as they were in the boom, you just pay much more interest for less money now that the tracker is gone.

It's all relative, if you can afford it, it's not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I know a couple who bought a 550,000 3 bed during the boom,and had no problems letting us all know how much at every occasion,
    Now 2013 as soon as personal insolvency we going to go give the house back and get a council house ,

Gatling wrote: »
    I know a couple who bought a 550,000 3 bed during the boom,and had no problems letting us all know how much at every occasion,
    Now 2013 as soon as personal insolvency we going to go give the house back and get a council house ,

Did they change their accents into D4 accents? I know quite a few that did, very strange altogether.

I needed somewhere to live and decided renting was not my best option.

Negative equtity is not really something I worry about that much, it does not affect my ability to pay in any way.

However, if I had decided to go down the 'starter home' route and bought a shoe box appartment in a crap area, you could well hear me singing a different tune.

As with all these others posts dripping with schadenfreude, I'm at a loss to see how you're any nicer than they are.

Actually, they're probably better because they learned a life lesson at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

What did he "piss away"? He has his own home now and can afford it comfortably. Win win it seems. Apart for those who aren't in his position of course.

The market fluctuates we know that, but a person can't be faulted for not waiting around indefinitely and not having a crystal ball.

Chop Chop wrote: »
    Tracker mortgages are considerably easier to service than variable. A 200k variable mortgage is about €900 > €1100 per month. Mortgage repayments are pretty much the same as they were in the boom, you just pay much more interest for less money now that the tracker is gone.

It's all relative, if you can afford it, it's not a problem.
    The main problem I see with renting is this; If you cannot pay your rent, you can find yourself homeless pretty quick.

If I start to struggle with my mortgage repayments, I have way more options available to me, rent a room, payment holidays, interest only etc etc.

Despite all the negativity about the property market, I am still of the opinion that everyone should be aiming to own their own home.

If they can afford it.

Madam_X wrote: »
    What did he "piss away"? He has his own home now and can afford it comfortably. Win win it seems. Apart for those who aren't in his position of course.

Always though if an alien asked me to sum up property cycles, I'd say:

BOOM: **** boasting about buying houses

BUST: **** boasting about not buying houses

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

people knew what houses were worth and what their parents etc paid back in the day whenever, even with inflation it was easy to see how overpriced everything was, regardless of a crash coming or not.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Fair few people might see it as turnabout for getting condescending attitudes from them during the boom for not buying

"rent is dead money"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

anncoates wrote: »
    Always though if an alien asked me to sum up property cycles, I'd say:

BOOM: **** boasting about buying houses

BUST: **** boasting about not buying houses
    This!

+1*(amount lost by Seany Fitz)

"rent is dead money"

:pac:

It's probably cheaper to buy these days.

Ask me again when the ECB lob a few % points onto their interest rate and when my mortgage interest relief has run its course.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

A council house? How horrifying !

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I bought in boomy 05 and are quiet happpy , got a great tracker and was sicknto the back teeth renting.
    Obviously housevhas halfed in value however we can easily it and have overpaid it.
    If it was now I'd be terrified to buy , probably woulca't get a mortgage whateve interest r, be on a council housing list probably eyeing Canada, overall we re happy,
    R

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You should send Bertie a thank you card

Chop Chop wrote: »
    It's probably cheaper to buy these days.

possibly, but the ridiculous rent supplement and council rates put an artificially high floor on rents which aids that...

possibly, but the ridiculous rent supplement and council rates put an artificially high floor on rents which aids that...

I would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

The attitude of some home owners who bought during the boom is appalling.

''My house is now worth half what I paid for it! It's not fair - why should I have to paid x amount every month, I'll be paying for it 'til I'm 70. It's the bank's fault, they should never have given me that amount of money. I'm going to send the keys back to the lender. Why should I have to pay for it.''

I bought during the boom, didn't get a 100% mortgage (nor did my lender try to encourage me to borrow more) and never thought of my home as an investment. I don't know how I'll fare in the future - interest rates will increase and more pay cuts/extra taxes are likely. But, it's my problem and I don't expect my debt to be magically written off.

The banks are obliged to deal with lenders in arrears now and forced repossessions are surprising low. It will be interesting to see how it changes in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Joe Hart

The market fluctuates we know that, but a person can't be faulted for not waiting around indefinitely and not having a crystal ball.

HIs circumstances don't change the fact they paid hundreds of thousands more for something. I could go out and buy a house for 150K. If it halved in value Id be annoyed as its money wasted. Its not the end of the world though at that level.

I'm not into gloating about the four years I've spent renting really nice places in Donnybrook and Ballsbridge. Or breaking mens hearts handing over 5K for their 55K Audis that seemed such a good idea in 2007. Financial prudence will always win out.

Advertisement