Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Trains Lose Money

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

n97 mini wrote: »
    To treat customers with contempt do you not have to have a relationship with them in the first place?

I don't think IE has a relationship with any customers.

Im sure a few have relatives working there :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Again the criticism of Irish Rail is over the top - once again I'm far from their biggest fan but whilst buses have effected their passengers, it's being took out of all proportion as usual and the bus services as N97 mini has pointed out, are far from perfect in some cases too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    People on the Waterford route don't have much choice since we had our bus service cut back and apparently synced with the train departures!

Bus Éireann cut the buses so at peak times the frequency is one every 3 hours, there is no Bus leaving Waterford between 3pm and 6pm meaning Carlow has no service to Dublin between 4.10pm and 7.10pm.

Then as if planned Irish Rail cut out their late afternoon service from Waterford at 4.50pm which stopped in Carlow at 6pm. When a company treat their customers with such contempt they cant realistically hope to keep them for very long.

Carlow should have the same sort of frequent bus service as several other large towns but it appears to be operated from Waterford so nothing will change for the benefit of passengers. Even with the hand-me-down buses off the 002 route which have the computerised/gps journey timer/log, I noticed recently that this excellent feature which tells the drivers if they are early or late is not being used on the Dublin-Waterford buses even though it is fitted in most buses.

In your post you seem to forget about JJ Kavanagh?

They have buses at 17:10 and 18:45 from Carlow to Dublin which fill the gap, in addition to 11 other departures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lxflyer wrote: »
    In your post you seem to forget about JJ Kavanagh?

They have buses at 17:10 and 18:45 from Carlow to Dublin which fill the gap, in addition to 11 other departures.
    They are not listed on the NTA jourrney planner so shoukd we be using those services if there are issues with their licencing?

Also they are never on time and so slow you're often better off waiting for the next train or bus eireann bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I personally think that once any person is standing on a train the trolley should be packed up and sale of hot food/drinks stopped due to the risk of standing passengers being scalded.

and there we go into the ridiculous over the top "won't someone please think of the children" H&S nonsense. Is the trolley-dolly going to start throwing boiling water at them just because they're standing or will they automatically loose the ability to hold a cup?
    Up until this I was just about willing to take this thread seriously but now you are just trying to find pedantic reasons to continue bitching about IE despite ignoring much of the replies and discussion already in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

and there we go into the ridiculous over the top "won't someone please think of the children" H&S nonsense. Is the trolley-dolly going to start throwing boiling water at them just because they're standing or will they automatically loose the ability to hold a cup?
    Up until this I was just about willing to take this thread seriously but now you are just trying to find pedantic reasons to continue bitching about IE despite ignoring much of the replies and discussion already in the thread.
    Try holding onto a cup of tea or coffee when standing at the toilets or door on the train wishing you had some grab rail to hold onto while being bounced around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

markpb wrote: »
    Standing for up to 30 minutes on a suburban/urban train is fine. Standing for over an hour on a (sort of) intercity train is not. I definitely wouldn't be going back to Irish Rail (as opposed to Dart/Suburban) if I had to stand
    Ever stood on an intercity bus? There were times that I had to. Only hand-holds were on the luggage racks, and they were rather slippery. Now that's a bumpy, jarry ride and in an aisle too narrow to walk past other passengers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Try holding onto a cup of tea or coffee when standing at the toilets or door on the train wishing you had some grab rail to hold onto while being bounced around.
    Tea or coffee on the train? I must be too old. That was for trains with snack cars, back in the day. Welcome to austerity as dictated by the EU, where tea and/or coffee is a right.

They are not listed on the NTA jourrney planner so shoukd we be using those services if there are issues with their licencing?

Also they are never on time and so slow you're often better off waiting for the next train or bus eireann bus.

You've previously complained about the NTA not including Kavanagh in the journey planner and been very indignant about it, now you are blaming Kavanagh's.

Frankly, from reading all of these and other posts, it would appear that none of the transport providers serving Carlow will ever meet your requirements.

You've previously posted about how BE are consistently late, and about the standard of vehicles.

Is there any transport provider that you don't have a gripe with? Because otherwise I can only suggest that you invest in a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

I personally think that once any person is standing on a train the trolley should be packed up and sale of hot food/drinks stopped due to the risk of standing passengers being scalded.

Ever travelled inter city in Europe or the UK? Standing in the vestibules and aisles is not uncommon especially at peak times. UK inter city train fares are far more expensive than in Ireland, especially the walk on fares. I have had to travel from Euston to Manchester at short notice on occasions and had to stand after paying out £150 for the fare.

Believe it or not overcrowding is far more severe elsewhere than in Ireland and the hot drinks trolleys still make their way down the aisles.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    You've previously complained about the NTA not including Kavanagh in the journey planner and been very indignant about it, now you are blaming Kavanagh's.

Frankly, from reading all of these and other posts, it would appear that none of the transport providers serving Carlow will ever meet your requirements.

You've previously posted about how BE are consistently late, and about the standard of vehicles.

Is there any transport provider that you don't have a gripe with? Because otherwise I can only suggest that you invest in a car?

I would urge anyone with a genuine complaint to contact Irish Rail, or BE or Kavanaghs or whoever provides the service.

I would question the reasons why anyone would post a complaint here and not contact the service provider concerned if that person felt there was a genuine reason to complain. This is after all a board on the internet. It wont resolve any issues any individual may have with a transport provider.

If any individual believes the transport provider is not giving a good enough response then the NTA should be contacted or even the Ombudsman. There are mechanisms for solving complaints or greivances with Irish Government bodies. Boards.ie is not part of the complaints structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think that the problem in this particular case is that IE are toolazy/inefficent to factor in increasing the number of cars for this particular journey, preferring to start the day with three cars and staying that way right through the shift. Carlow is not a million miles from Port Laoise and there are usually spare units sat there earning no revenue

I found the comment that people are used to having to stand up and accept it quite startling. I'm sure many of the people who now drive or use the bus, do so BECAUSE they were fed up at not being able to get a seat or at having a standing passengers bum in their face for an hour if they did get one!

Also, so what if the buses arent full? In an ideal situation you would have x amount of spare capacity to allow for flexibility and growth. It's called forward-planning. It seems to me that IE do things "because this is the way we always have done it". However to provide a good service that grows you need to stay ahead of the game, and if that includes picking up another 3 piece when demand is there, so be it.

Corktina I would agree that more cars should be added during the day if more capacity is needed or anticipated. Is the extra cost fuel cost involved in running extra cars not a factor though? Maybe that's why IE don't add more cars? Not defending the practice just wondering.

The very fact that the trolley was apparently able to proceed through the train should perhaps focus minds on how many people were standing. If there were dozens standing it simply would not have been able to continue.

No it's not an ideal situation, but I suspect that it's not quite the train to Calcutta that its being painted as.

Also, Corktina this year from what we have read the amount of sets in service has an awful lot more to do with cost than anything else, given we know that a certain number of sets are out of use at any given time.

Also if you read further up the thread this is the first train that set operates as it overnights in Waterford - you would have to have another set on the train down the previous night.

Presumably the set rosters would have to be rejigged, but perhaps something similar to the solution last summer could be found - a spare set was sent from Dublin to join at Carlow - it really depends upon whether the demand warrants it. As I said, if the trolley could still move through the train then one has to wonder.

If the trolley can move through the train it means that maybe a few people are standing.

Maybe this is really about perspective rather than reality? I have often been on a Dart or a Kildare line train where one or two people are standing and you hear them complaining about overcrowding.

Try commuting on the London tube or railways every day! Now that's overcrowding...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I can't make out if this is trolling or not.

Your suggestion would mean that it's only safe for the trolley to move around when everybody is sitting down. Even on a half empty train there's always people moving about when the trolley is.

You're trolling or you're being incredibly silly. This thread is closed.

Just spotted this after posting the above... if the problem is people standing holding hot drinks, that's equally as daft because it would also mean it is unsafe for people to walk from the on-train shop back to their seats.

It just seems like you're grasping at straws as to why there should never be anybody standing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

bk wrote: »
    Folks, I apologise for the back seat modding, but I have to say the rules of boards are very clear.

The most important rule is attack the post not the poster.

If the poster posts something that breaks the rules of boards, report it and leave it to the mods to deal with.

If you just don't like the poster, just put him on your ignore list.

Simple

Somebody reported this post. Just to be very clear:

Back seat modding is not usually tolerated but bk above is saying exactly what I have said a number of times in the recent past and the largest issue mods here have to deal with is posters somehow not understanding or easily forgetting the attack the post not the poster rule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement