Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei G510

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    The phone's not out very long yet, so it could be a while before any sort of stable custom rom comes along, but there's a bit of info on Modaco regarding unlocking the bootloader and rooting the phone.

http://www.modaco.com/forum/736-huawei-ascend-g510-orange-daytona-y300/

Excuse my ignorance but The first thread at that link their is about unlocking the bootloader. Is this the same as the sim lock ie network lock?

Why exactly would I need my bootloader unlocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

TheChevron wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but The first thread at that link their is about unlocking the bootloader. Is this the same as the sim lock ie network lock?

Why exactly would I need my bootloader unlocked?
    No. Unlocking the bootloader only allows you to installed custom recovery and then custom roms, as far as I know.

There's a thread on the Modaco site that links to their approved network unlock code provider. I think it's about €4/5 per code and the unlock code is emailed within 24hrs, usually. You just have to send them the model number and IMEI code.

Got in unlocked from said provider cheers. I'm new to android and after deleting the many useless apps that came pre installed, I now have around 5 pages with apps sparsely all over the place, is there any way to put all the apps together in one go or do I have to move each one individually to fill up a page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The Emotion UI that Huawei use on this phone seems to be a pain in the as$ for some people. If you look for ADW, Apex or Nova Launcher on the google play store. They're all free and should work with the G510.

These 3 launchers are based on the standard Android home screen/s and the app drawer(emotion UI doesn't have an app drawer, and is a bit of a departure from the standard android launcher).

People have reported that any of these launchers are less laggy than the emotion UI and all your apps will be collected together in the app drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

After having a Samsung Galaxy Spica for 3 years I have to say I find the Huawei great. I wasn´t gone on the launcher so installed Nova launcher which is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Alter-Ego wrote: »

These 3 launchers are based on the standard Android home screen/s and the app drawer(emotion UI doesn't have an app drawer, and is a bit of a departure from the standard android launcher).

I had a quick flit around the 510 the other day,but delayed a purchase when I found there is only one input method for text input,ie: the Android (QWERTY) Keyboard,which I detest.

Currently I'm using a Galaxy Y's standard (Phone Key) input and I was not impressed to see the Huawei not having an option ...

Any suggestions ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

you can always install stuff like swiftkey

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sulc84

New huawei use classic android ?

sulc84 not this one. it might run newer android, but its heavily customised with Emotion UI and Vodafone bloatware.

the ideal situation is to unlock bootloader, root, and hopefully wait for a nice little clean custom rom to come, but since the phone is so new, there have been very little done to it yet.

http://www.modaco.com/forum/736-huawei-ascend-g510-orange-daytona-y300/

I'm getting a nose bleed from all this talk of launchers etc. Where is the best place to start to read up on all this?

My thoughts on the phone after a few days usage and previously owning an iphone 4.

It is as fast, if not faster that my iphone. The screen is bigger, but I am disappointed with the quality of the screen, the resolution is very low for a screen this size.

The Camera is not the best. Laggy when viewing, colours look faded and hard to get a good shot.

The battery is great, I have gotten 2 days from it playing around with it as you do when you get a new phone. Seems to have lasted twice as long as my iphone 4, although it was old and the battery was probably worn, but I am very happy with the battery.

I like the OS, its my first time using android but its easy to pick up and beats the hell out of apple software. If I could get rid of the Vodafone shíte on it I would be happier.

Pros: Fast, Large Screen, Good battery

Cons: Bad Camera, Bad screen resolution.

Overall: For €109 its a major bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I purchased this phone the other day and although I haven't gotten around to using it properly, due to my stupidity emailing the modaco guy with the wrong imei, i've used it without the sim card and went on the internet using wi fi and i'm pretty impressed. There's a lot of vodafone software on it which is quite annoying but hopefully someone will give us all the info we need to root it and get rid of it soon.

EDIT: That Korter guy recommended from Modaco is really messing me around. Twice now he has input the wrong imei number into the system, telling me the first one was my fault (it may have been as I've no record or email saying what number I input) and because of this I ordered another code last night, making sure to input the right code and all info and what happens? He enters the last number wrong and i still have no code! VERY annoying.

Just a note to anyone with this phone, if you get a chance to use a Galaxy S4, don't. It will make you feel real bad about your phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just a note to anyone with this phone, if you get a chance to use a Galaxy S4, don't. It will make you feel real bad about your phone :)

It won't make me feel bad. I will smile that someone paid 5 times more than me.

just received mine today. cant wait to get into it. a nice aosp rom is available on modaco now, from htcmania, but i have to wait to unlock the bootloader first...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Discodog wrote: »
    It won't make me feel bad. I will smile that someone paid 5 times more than me.

+1 on that. Everyone knows it is not a S4. But it is a great phone for the price. :D

you really cant compare. as crap as it might be (and i havent opened mine up yet to see), its still a 100 euro phone. hell, 4.5" with quite nice specs for 109 euros, can you beat that?

there isnt any phones that come close, for example, galaxy aces, spicas, etc etc that are with the networks dont have as good specs and are as expensive if not more.

galaxy s3 mini is 100 euros more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

How dose it compare to the vodafone smart3, which is the same price from the shop afaik?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

tommy2bad wrote: »
    How dose it compare to the vodafone smart3, which is the same price from the shop afaik?

the specs look identical to the g300.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

pish!....the white g510 looks like an S4......:D

Right, the phone is starting to run slow. There is only 40mb of ram free and around 350mb in use. I use task killer and shut down all apps and I still can't free up any.

Is this right? What is using all that ram if I have everything shut down. How can I free it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

anybodies G510 dropping calls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Right, the phone is starting to run slow. There is only 40mb of ram free and around 350mb in use. I use task killer and shut down all apps and I still can't free up any.

Is this right? What is using all that ram if I have everything shut down. How can I free it up?

I found going into the Manage Apps, then go to 'ALL' and 'Clear Cache' makes a difference when I find it running slow. I also Hold down the HOME button, and delete all previously used Apps.
    celtic_oz wrote: »
    anybodies G510 dropping calls ?

No, but my mic has stopped working about a minute into a call, I can hear the other person, but they can't hear me. Its getting really annoying.

Qwerty? wrote: »
    I found going into the Manage Apps, then go to 'ALL' and 'Clear Cache' makes a difference when I find it running slow. I also Hold down the HOME button, and delete all previously used Apps.

No, but my mic has stopped working about a minute into a call, I can hear the other person, but they can't hear me. Its getting really annoying.

The mic is not great on them. I'm frequently asked if I am on hands free when I'm not. People complain about not being able to hear me properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Its on i bood sim free for 150 euro and free shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Any g510 owners out there having wifi problems.

Got mine last week and today it seems that the WIFI is totally frigged on it.

First of all I could not get to the Internet when the wifi was connected (it was not my routers problem as other devices were fine)
    Then after multiple reboot, wifi on/off etc it is now sometimes not even seeing the Wifi network (nothing coming up after scan)
    I'll bring it back to Vodafone tomorrow but in the mean time I was just wondering anyone had encountered similar problem.
    I see a good lot of stuff about g300 wifif problems on the interweb , but nothing about the g510

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Any g510 owners out there having wifi problems.

Got mine last week and today it seems that the WIFI is totally frigged on it.

First of all I could not get to the Internet when the wifi was connected (it was not my routers problem as other devices were fine)
    Then after multiple reboot, wifi on/off etc it is now sometimes not even seeing the Wifi network (nothing coming up after scan)
    I'll bring it back to Vodafone tomorrow but in the mean time I was just wondering anyone had encountered similar problem.
    I see a good lot of stuff about g300 wifif problems on the interweb , but nothing about the g510

Have not had any problems with WiFi myself.

neither have i had any issues with wifi or calling - of note, bootloader unlocked, sim unlocked, rooted and custom touchmez rom installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Seren_ wrote: »
    Have not had any problems with WiFi myself.

It made a Lazarus type recovery when I brought it into the shop today, typical, working fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Had the phone about a month now and calls, internet and wi fi have been grand. Battery drains ultra fast when the data is turned on so i rarely use it but other than that its a fine phone. Nice big screen for apps and viewing pictures and twitter looks nice and clear on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 McGeough123

Yeah, I've had this phone for more than a month now, and I have to say it is a very good phone for the price. Big screen, dual core, decent camera and battery. Can handle most apps and games as well.

Advertisement