Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei G510

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Simi wrote: »
    I hate to burst everyones bubble but a dual core processor paired with 512mb ram is an exercise in pointlessness. Once you go past gingerbread, you need 768mb as a bare minimum! All the low memory killer scripts and trimmed down roms in the world won't change this inescapable truth.

I have had a g300 for almost a year. It has over 100 apps loaded, two 4x4 widgets & live weather wallpaper!

It copes well & my go task widget tells me that its using around 85-90 percent ram. The key is choosing the right apps. Changing from go launcher to ADW launcher was a revelation. The phone was suddenly so much faster. Replacing Dolphin with Boat lite had a similar effect.
    Many apps are designed for powerful phones but there is usually an alternative that's half the size.

I am waiting for Huawei's version of the Galaxy Note.

By the way it's not rooted. Just standard Voda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I see the G510 is available on the vodafone online store for €150. Gonna wait for some reviews but does anyone think it will be worth upgrading from the G300 as the features are similar enough bar the dual core processor?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Viscosity1

Switched from a G300 to the G510 yesterday. I had found the G300 a little slow once I'd upgraded to ICS.

Tried FilmOn app last night and happy enough with the performance. They have switched the menu and back/cancel buttons around which took some getting used to.

It kinda reminds me a little of a Samsung SII which is probably acceptable given the price of 150 new on VF.

Got it unlocked here.
    http://stores.ebay.com/phoneunlocker82

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

hi
    I can get 20€ off for switching to VF.
    is the fatcheese offer of 24€ the same thing or can i get this as well?
    (jeez i am greedy!)

anyone know?
    thanks

Much vf bloatware on the handset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Really like the look of this phone
    I currently have Iphone3gs would this be improvement. Iphone starting to give trouble
    Previous to this i had San Fran/Blade cant remember the exact name of it lol

i would be using the phone for browsing/Facebook/viber/email

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

seanin4711 wrote: »

That revue makes the g300 look better than the g510. It gives no indication of how the 510 will perform with a better launcher etc

For example my g300 returns to homescreen pretty instantly & my drop down menu is fast.

Would the better option be to install ics on the g510?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Would this be easy to unlock? I really don't want to have to leave 3!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Viscosity1 wrote: »
    Switched from a G300 to the G510 yesterday. I had found the G300 a little slow once I'd upgraded to ICS.

Tried FilmOn app last night and happy enough with the performance. They have switched the menu and back/cancel buttons around which took some getting used to.

It kinda reminds me a little of a Samsung SII which is probably acceptable given the price of 150 new on VF.

Got it unlocked here.
    http://stores.ebay.com/phoneunlocker82

Have to say I found the G300 slow even on GB. ICS just made it worse. Moving to an Ace 2 with Dual Core and 768mb on GB was a huge leap in performance. The volume on the G300 and SQ for music was better than the Ace 2 though. Camera much better on the Ace 2 though. The Ace 2 2nd hand is around 120~150. Still on GB but with JB due any day.

If I had a single core, slow and with low ram the G510 looks like a decent leap for not much money.

ciano1 wrote: »
    Would this be easy to unlock? I really don't want to have to leave 3!

4 sterling on ebay
    link in modaco somewhere
    have a peek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

ccarr wrote: »
    Really like the look of this phone
    I currently have Iphone3gs would this be improvement. Iphone starting to give trouble
    Previous to this i had San Fran/Blade cant remember the exact name of it lol

i would be using the phone for browsing/Facebook/viber/email

The wonderful ZTE Blade.....god's gift to those who like to dabble in ROM's flashing, general nerd stuff.

There was a huge thread here about it, and on Modaco, and it's still goin'.

I cut my Android teeth on the Blade, at a very old age!!!!

hi
    I can get 20€ off for switching to VF.
    is the fatcheese offer of 24€ the same thing or can i get this as well?
    (jeez i am greedy!)

anyone know?
    thanks

It is in addition, you gotta wait for it to come through, and sometimes, it never does.....

you gotta buy on-line from Voda, using the link in fatcheese.

That's all I know, why not go for it, I don't need a new phone, got too many already, in fact, I'll have at least one up on Ads, or Done-deal, or somewhere shortly, cos I need the money.....

it'll be cheeeep!! as chiiips.

Yeah, but why do they still say stuff like this:
    If you can strip out all the manufacturer software and use vanilla Android, you'll have a better time (and invalidate your warranty).

You don't invalidate your warranty, in the EU, you have an automatic 2-year warranty as of right within the EU....

EU directive in question is 1999/44/EC.

Please all read here.....http://piana.eu/root
    Rooting your phone

Does rooting your device (e.g. an Android phone) and replacing its operating system with something else void your statutory warranty, if you are a consumer?

In short: No.

Just the fact that you modified or changed the software of your device, is not a sufficient reason to void your statutory warranty. As long as you have bought the device as a consumer in the European Union.

A bit longer:

Directive 1999/44/CE dictates¹ that any object meeting certain criteria (including telephones, computers, routers etc.) being sold to a consumer inside the European Union, has to carry a warranty from the seller that the device will meet the quality that you would expect for such a device for a period of 2 years.

A telephone is an example of such a device and is an object that comprises many parts, from the case to the screen to the radio, to a mini-computer, to the battery, to the software that runs it. If any of these parts³ stop working in those 2 years, the seller has to fix or replace them. What is more these repairs should not cost the consumer a single cent — the seller has to cover the expenses (Directive 1999/44/CE, §3). If the seller has any expenses for returning it to the manufacturer, this is not your problem as a consumer.

If your device becomes defective in the first 6 months, it is presumed that the defect was there all along, so you should not need to prove anything. If your device becomes defective after the first 6 months, but before 2 years run out, you are still covered. The difference is only that if the defect arises now, the seller can claim that the defect was caused by some action that was triggered by non-normal use of the device.

this rooting invalidates your warranty is BS, unless you can be proven to have caused a hardware fault by something you have done, software-wise.

They need to be able to prove this.

ppl need to get assertive....

And this guy also says.....this kinda shyte:
    If you absolutely must pull this phone out of your pocket in public, at least cover your shame with a case.

Shame???

It's like all those ppl who would not be seen dead in a Lidl or Aldi 6 years ago, where do they all shop now???

Feckin snob!!!

This looks at least as good as my plastic S3...which costs around €300 more, at least.

if looks are your ting!!!

Yeah, that's more like it, two decent reviews, one 4****, the other 5*****

Personally, if I were in the hunt for a new phone, I would go fro this, if you can get it for anywhere inder €150, better still if fatcheese came through....

unlock for a fiver, use tesco, or 48month, or some cheap provider, can't go wrong, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

I am a first time buyer with smartphones, and i was going to get the Galaxy Ace.. it,s on offer for 80euro in Carphone Warehouse atm.. But having seen this Phone, i think i,ll get it.. 150 Payg on Vodafone..Great value :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

skaface wrote: »
    I am a first time buyer with smartphones, and i was going to get the Galaxy Ace.. it,s on offer for 80euro in Carphone Warehouse atm.. But having seen this Phone, i think i,ll get it.. 150 Payg on Vodafone..Great value :):)

Don't bother with the ace
    Wife got one and it's junk.I got a g300 at Xmas and was very impressed by it.only for getting a HTC one x second hand and passing on the g300 to herself I'd by getting a g510 and have saved myself a few quid

balcan wrote: »
    Don't bother with the ace
    Wife got one and it's junk.I got a g300 at Xmas and was very impressed by it.only for getting a HTC one x second hand and passing on the g300 to herself I'd by getting a g510 and have saved myself a few quid

How much was the HTC One?...

it is really a class apart, but it's still only a smart-phone.

I'd say you could make that G510 fly, with the proper ROM on it, seems Huawei have loaded their Emotion UI GUI on it, and it is far from AOSP...that's stupid, IMHO.

Trying to compete with Sense/TW??

Most Android doods like AOSP, gives freedom to put your mark on the device.

I wouldn't say the Ace was junk. Its just an old phone (2yrs+) and it was mid to budget phone when it was released at the start of 2011.

The G300 is a year newer which is a lot in phone time. and it has a higher spec, bigger screen, more ram, faster and newer software, Android 4.0 vs 2.3 on the Ace. The camera is just ok on the G300. I'd be curious if they improved the camera on the G510.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the Ace was junk. Its just an old phone (2yrs+) and it was mid to budget phone when it was released at the start of 2011.

The G300 is a year newer which is a lot in phone time. and it has a higher spec, bigger screen, more ram, faster and newer software, Android 4.0 vs 2.3 on the Ace. The camera is just ok on the G300. I'd be curious if they improved the camera on the G510.

I think the back camera is still 5 Mega pixel....but there now is a front 0.5 for video calling, skype, etc.

Also, battery is 1700mAh vs 1350.....

I would not be expecting a top notch camera on a budget smartphone...

with the dual-core CPU, with JB out-of-the box, I think it's a good buy....

I would although wait to see if there will be any devs doing stuff to make custom ROM's available.

It is a very crowded market segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi, did anyone get the G510 unlocked? Can you post link. Thanks I am just looking for a large screen phone as I only want for web browsing, etc. Am on O2 but they don't do Huawei G510,
    This pajoe

I would not be expecting a top notch camera on a budget smartphone...

nobody would be expecting top notch. But the g300 was very poor. The colours were especially bad. Surprised there wasn't a ROM to fix it. Randomly you'd good photo from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Don't suppose anyone got this phone unlocked somewhere in Dublin? Don't mind spending 20 euro or so. Vodafone tariffs are pants

You can get it unlocked on Ebay for about a fiver.

You can get it unlocked on Ebay for about a fiver.

I know but does that not mean sending your phone off somewhere

No. They email you an unlock code.

No. They email you an unlock code.

Ok. Cool. But does that mean it has to be rooted and the bootloader unlocked first? (Sorry for all the questions)

Nope not at all. Just insert a different sim, it will ask for an unlock code and just type it in. (You might need to enter more than one code, but usually you don't. I'm sure someone who has bought one and unlocked it will confirm. Just make sure you get all the necessary codes from the buyer.)

• Advertisement

Nope not at all. Just insert a different sim, it will ask for an unlock code and just type it in. (You might need to enter more than one code, but usually you don't. I'm sure someone who has bought one and unlocked it will confirm. Just make sure you get all the necessary codes from the buyer.)

Ok. Thanks very much. Sounds like a very good phone and with the extra money off a good bargain. Cheers

Advertisement