Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei G510

Options
  • 11-04-2013 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭

I have a HTC desire(original three years old exactly)
    Starting to see the limitations in it now and was thinking about a nexus 4.
    Then I hear about the Huawei G510 dual core for half the price and more than half the hassle(dewpends on how easy it is to unlock it from vodafone UK,or if VF ire get it too!)
    any any thoughts on this?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/50828/huawei-ascend-g510-vodafone-android

Just wondering will the developer community are going to take it on?

Could be the job for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

seanin4711 wrote: »
    I have a HTC desire(original three years old exactly)
    Starting to see the limitations in it now and was thinking about a nexus 4.
    Then I hear about the Huawei G510 dual core for half the price and more than half the hassle(dewpends on how easy it is to unlock it from vodafone UK,or if VF ire get it too!)
    any any thoughts on this?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/50828/huawei-ascend-g510-vodafone-android

Just wondering will the developer community are going to take it on?

Could be the job for me!

It looks exactly like the y 300 in meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nucleardublin

Looking at the specs on both Handsets there are some differences:

Bigger Display 4.5" (G510) compared to 4" (Y300)
    Processor - 1.2Ghz Dual Core versus 1Ghz Dual Core
    G510 supports NFC

I would presume Vodafone Ireland will launch soon it if it is available in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Looking at the specs on both Handsets there are some differences:

Bigger Display 4.5" (G510) compared to 4" (Y300)
    Processor - 1.2Ghz Dual Core versus 1Ghz Dual Core
    G510 supports NFC

I would presume Vodafone Ireland will launch soon it if it is available in the UK.

what is NFC?
    thanks

what is NFC?
    thanks

Near Field Communication ,
    Works similar to Bluetooth found in every thing from phones to smart tellys ,

I found it near useless being honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Usually Amazon are cheaper, but not in this case. Its £186.00. Go for it, but check Argos, Asda ,etc., in case you miss a better offer:).

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Usually Amazon are cheaper, but not in this case. Its £186.00. Go for it, but check Argos, Asda ,etc., in case you miss a better offer:).

Amazon .de 198.89e

http://www.amazon.de/Huawei-Smartphone-Touchscreen-Dual-Core-Megapixel/dp/B00B5LQDA4/ref=sr_1_19?m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1365795563&sr=1-19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Gatling wrote: »

But VF UK is

£130 = €152 + €3.50 for PM.... or free if new customer.

That's €155.50 max

Not bad!!

But VF UK is

£130 = €152 + €3.50 for PM.... or free if new customer.

That's €155.50 max

Not bad!!

I was going by the 186 quote from VF which I thought was sterling price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nucleardublin

I asked in the Vodafone store on Grafton Street on Thursday evening and was told the Handset was launching in Ireland this weekend @ €149 Prepay.

Don't see it online yet....

this is the next thing!
    plus how to root it and get rid of VF bloat asap!
    Also could we do the old "get a tesco sim and move to vodafone " to get it cheaper?
    whats your thoughts?

I asked in the Vodafone store on Grafton Street on Thursday evening and was told the Handset was launching in Ireland this weekend @ €149 Prepay.

Don't see it online yet....

That's even better....and don't forget fatcheese

€24 cashback on Prepay when "a" number is ported from a SIM to VF!!!

this is the next thing!
    plus how to root it and get rid of VF bloat asap!
    Also could we do the old "get a tesco sim and move to vodafone " to get it cheaper?
    whats your thoughts?

Rooting, one-click, dunno if it works, but the guy seems confident....

http://www.oneclickroot.com/phone/huawei-ascend-g510/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Its is Vodafone on o Connell street limerick for 149.99

Just popped in there

20€ off when you move from another network.
    tesco sim got already.
    How does fat cheese work?

Rooting, one-click, dunno if it works, but the guy seems confident....

http://www.oneclickroot.com/phone/huawei-ascend-g510/

will oneclick root unlock it too from VF?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

will oneclick root unlock it too from VF?

No...rooting and unlock network are different things...

Edit..Sorry, Capn, just saw your reply in similar vein!!!

• Advertisement

probably take modaco and XDA a week or so to formulate roms and boot loader unlock!

512mb is not much but better than 180mb on htc desire!

512mb is not much but better than 180mb on htc desire!

HTC Desire also has 512mb RAM. I assume you mean internal storage, the G510 has 4Gb I think.

HTC Desire also has 512mb RAM. I assume you mean internal storage, the G510 has 4Gb I think.

yes internal storage,sucks balls bigtime!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I hate to burst everyones bubble but a dual core processor paired with 512mb ram is an exercise in pointlessness. Once you go past gingerbread, you need 768mb as a bare minimum! All the low memory killer scripts and trimmed down roms in the world won't change this inescapable truth.

Simi wrote: »
    I hate to burst everyones bubble but a dual core processor paired with 512mb ram is an exercise in pointlessness. Once you go past gingerbread, you need 768mb as a bare minimum! All the low memory killer scripts and trimmed down roms in the world won't change this inescapable truth.

well flip that then!

Simi wrote: »

You know this for a fact do you??

My missus G300 is running Stock+ ROM, which is ICS, on a single core 512MB RAM with no problem whatsoever....

Huawei are providing ICS on Stock ROM out of the box.

I'm sure Cyda and Dazzozo and other Devs on Modaco would be delighted to have your input, as they are all fools and labouring under the misapprehension that they can provide ICS and JB ROMs running without a problem on the hardware you seem to regard so little.

Go on, give them some of your very valuable insights into how just how bad the G300 is....

There are ICS ROM's available even for the ZTE Blade, which I had for a long time, and the devs did extraordinary stuff with the hardware available on that marvellous device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I'm sure Cyda and Dazzozo and other Devs on Modaco would be delighted to have your input, as they are all fools and labouring under the misapprehension that they can provide ICS and JB ROMs running without a problem on the hardware you seem to regard so little.

Actually I'm using a galaxy S with cm10.1, my Dad has a g300 running meijarom and my Brother has a zte blade which until recently was running cm10.1. I regularly flash their phones with the latest and greatest roms around and their chief complaint is always the same, it's slow/laggy. Android 4+ needs more memory plain and simple. In the end my brother insisted I downgrade his blade to gingerbread and he hasn't complained since. I had to delete apps that ran in the background on my dads phone and give him a list of apps he couldn't install again if he wanted his phone to be useable.

I greatly appreciate the efforts of all the devs on XDA and modaco, especially Pawit who maintains cyanogenmod on the SGS. He has done a fantastic job and I am very happy running cm10.1, but I like everyone else have had to learn to live within the confines of a device with 512mb ram. This means no facebook, no whatsapp, no viber or any other memory hogging apps and very little in the way of multi-tasking. Exactly the kinds of things a person buying a new android phone or even buying a smart phone for the first time might want to use.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm all for pushing the limits of old hardware, but a persons first experience with android shouldn't be learning to track down and kill memory hogging apps or flashing lmk scripts or trimmed down roms only to realise in the end, they'll simply have to give up apps that run in the background.

Thanks for getting back Simi, I think we will have to disagree.

I see like myself, you like flashing [ROM's!!!] and getting the most out of what is limited hardware, but comes at a budget price.

Myself, I got the SGS3, and even though it's quad-core, with 1GB RAM, but it is not without problems, and these can even include the dreaded SDS...

I have the bad chip!!!

but the kernel is up-to-date, little red hyphen ! and all, due to rooting, and no can OTA from Samsung any more, but who cares....

I also had to install Lagfix, cos it will lag eventually, and you need to fix that...

But this phone costs €400-€500 at least!!!

I should not have to go down the Custom ROM route with a phone which costs so much??

The point is, you can pay €100-€150 for a phone, like the Huawei's we are discussing, dual or single cores, restricted RAM [512]...

[you can get loads of China phones for less, which have almost all 512 RAM, unless you pay more!!! all running ICS or JB now]

but it can be made to be a perfectly usable everyday device, you can receive and send phone calls, sms, G+, FB, WhatsApp, Viber, YouTube, Flash, etc, etc.

The experience is reasonably good, you get what you pay for, and you can make a €100 phone into a perfectly usable device, if your budget is restricted.... and let's face it, everyone's is.

It's like when people simply had to have the latest desktop, or laptop, running the latest OS, when they had a perfectly usable, and fast enough PC/Laptop running Xp, or even Windoze 98.

It is simply never totally necessary for normal users to have the latest, leading edge device to carry out everyday tasks...

It makes no sense, except to those selling these high end devices...

Cheers, and thanks for listening...it takes one nerd to know another brother!!

fatcheese if i am ordering the phone from VF online ?

"€24.00 Cashback on Vodafone Prepaid new connection where your number is ported over"

and 20€ off if i go into bricks and mortar shop to transfer my number(tesco-VF).

Could I be getting this phone for 104€???

Jaysus this phone will be cheap enough in the end!hopefully!
    any word on a free unlock???
    thanks guys and gals!
    s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Considering getting this, Have a lumia 800 now. Windows is too tied down for me

Advertisement