Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divinity Original Sin Kickstarter

Options
  • 11-04-2013 12:03pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

Turn based rpg with drop in drop out co-op that looks great from a dev with a good history in crpgs. Where have we seen this before?

Just wanted to give this one a mention as it looks like a worthy project. This is a game that is well along the way to completion and the kickstarter is all about adding content. Watching their videos I can't help but like these guys at Larian for taking the indie route so that they could make their games the way they want to and now turning to crowd funding when they need it.

Considering the surge in old school rpg goodness via kickstarter with rock and roll developers at InXile and Obsidian I thought there might be folks here who would be interested in backing this one.

If I have missed a thread on this apologies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

mewso wrote: »
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin

Turn based rpg with drop in drop out co-op that looks great from a dev with a good history in crpgs. Where have we seen this before?

Just wanted to give this one a mention as it looks like a worthy project. This is a game that is well along the way to completion and the kickstarter is all about adding content. Watching their videos I can't help but like these guys at Larian for taking the indie route so that they could make their games the way they want to and now turning to crowd funding when they need it.

Considering the surge in old school rpg goodness via kickstarter with rock and roll developers at InXile and Obsidian I thought there might be folks here who would be interested in backing this one.

If I have missed a thread on this apologies.

Does this have to with Beyond Divinity and Divine Divinity games?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Does this have to with Beyond Divinity and Divine Divinity games?

Same developers, same setting, although apparently unrelated plot.

I liked Divine Divinity. I may have to throw some money at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I remember playing the demo of Divine Divinity from my copy of PcGamer. It was a good Diablo clone I liked how you control two people. Interested to see more on how this develops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

jaxdasher wrote: »
    I remember playing the demo of Divine Divinity from my copy of PcGamer. It was a good Diablo clone I liked how you control two people. Interested to see more on how this develops.

Bear in mind they are going turn based for combat with this new game. One of the selling points for me not necessarily for everyone else. I'm not a mad turn based nut or anything but as a toss up between button mashing and turn based then I prefer the latter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just 3 more weeks to wait for this, hopefully Pillars Of Eternity comes out this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm looking forward to this. I downloaded the early access version but stop playing shortly after as I didn't want to ruin anything of the story, but it's great fun and is a great looking game. Can't wait for the release.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Released today and my special edition should be in the post. Looking forward to it. This thread should probably be in the master race forum by the way. Side note: the announcement mentions they have been testing GOG Galaxy and apparently due for release at the end of August.

Got the special edition as well, but will be away till next week, probably will not get to play it till next Tuesday :mad:

Xenji wrote: »
    Got the special edition as well, but will be away till next week, probably will not get to play it till next Tuesday :mad:

Might need a patch or two before playing anyway as is the way these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any reviews of it yet? Definitely want to pick it up, but wouldn't mind seeing a review or two.

Kiith wrote: »
    Any reviews of it yet? Definitely want to pick it up, but wouldn't mind seeing a review or two.

Might take a while. This is the only one I could find per metacritic. Mind you considering it's old school leanings I would expect the more mainstream media to be more lukewarm about it. Might be a lot of "if you like x, y, z" reviews when they do come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Is it just me...or is the text size in this game ridiculously small? It's really affecting my enjoyment of the game.

It's fine for me. Could it be a resolution problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Got this the other day, really enjoying it so far. shame that you can change the size of the character models though not really liking that my rogue is a super sized steroid junky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have started this, it's a bit slow but I'm really enjoying it overall. Apparently there's a huge amount of different tactics you can employ in battle but I haven't really explored them yet. Have 2 companions and have done a lot of wandering about the town, just about ready to head out and try get some quests done now.

You may not be that ready to go outside of the town. Most enemies you'll find outside are level 5 or 7 and in big enough numbers to utterly destroy you if you're not ready. Always quicksave (F5) before combat and pretty much constantly throughout. It'll save a lot of frustration.

I love the combat and having to experiment to find the best way for your team to fight effectively. Though I've too big gripes with the combat. Firstly, if you want to cast a spell (or any other action) and you click the option on the action bar, to cancel it you've to right click. I keep forgetting that and select one spell, change my mind and click on another spell, but that just casts the original spell on the spot under the action bar. And since most actions take up a lot of AP, that means that character is left unable to do anything else that turn.

Also, there's too much of a delay from when you use up all of a characters AP's in a turn and from when it flicks on to the next character. It delays enough that I always click on the "End Turn" button and end up skipping the next characters turn.

There's probably a menu option that may stop the above two problems, or I could just try not to keep making the mistakes, but they are really annoying and reflexive from playing other similar games.

Still, I'm loving this.

Yeah I'm also finishing up in the town. Not enough combat to have really noticed your issues humanji but I would recommend posting on the Larian site as I would say they would be more responsive than most. Very addictive game so far and can't wait to get back to it this evening. I like the humour although I would imagine it wouldn't be to everyones taste. I had a quest to convince this guy to be a shill for an entertainer and failed the rock, paper, scissors game and didn't persuade him. I'm wondering if you get to try again later. Has anyone noticed? I don't mind either way just wondering. I'm happy to accept the consequences rather than waste time save/loading.

I should repeat this is in the wrong forum as it's not on consoles as far as I know.

humanji wrote: »
    You may not be that ready to go outside of the town. Most enemies you'll find outside are level 5 or 7 and in big enough numbers to utterly destroy you if you're not ready. Always quicksave (F5) before combat and pretty much constantly throughout. It'll save a lot of frustration.

So what would be the best way to get up to level 5 or higher? Is there enough quests/exploration in the town alone to get your level high enough? Seems like you need a good bit of XP to get from one level to the next.

I got out of the town about midway between level 4 and 5. To the North-west, there's some zombies that aren't too tough or numerous (but things can get out of hand at times), that'll help you level a bit. And if you have the lockpick ability, you can get into lots of rooms that you get experience for exploring, particularly while you're investigating the murder. Just remember to go into sneak mode and then wait for any NPC's to look away before trying to get in, otherwise they might attack you.

In the graveyard
    there's a shovel near the east side of it and a mound in the centre (it's not a grave). Digging this reveals a tunnel that has a few enemies in it. You may need a character with "Perception" in order to find it. You can also dig the graves and get the odd zombie and one quest within them. Just don't dig up the grave with the grieving woman standing over it.

If you have the talk to animals skill, you can get a quest from the cat in the Inn, and there's one or two other little quests that help build up your XP.

Oddly enough, once I got to level 5 and took on tougher groups, I got huge amounts of XP and leveled to 7 in about 20 minutes. If combat gets too tough, you can always change the difficultly down in the menu. I had to do this in one fight that I just couldn't complete after dying 5 or 6 times. Combat can still be tough, but it's more manageable.

• Advertisement

Gonna be able to start playing this tomorrow, anything I should know or any tips.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Xenji wrote: »
    Gonna be able to start playing this tomorrow, anything I should know or any tips.

You'll need more party members, don't try fighting everything with the core 2, it just won't end well.

And don't stand in a puddle while firing lightning spells!

Oh, and there doesn't really seem to be any instructions on crafting. I could be wrong, but I think it's mostly done by having a party member with a crafting skill and moving two items onto each other in their inventory. I haven't experimented much, but you can do things like put poison on a sword to add a poison attack to it etc.

humanji wrote: »
    Just don't dig up the grave with the grieving woman standing over it.

Yeah, too late. What have I missed out on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is the poison on weapons system a bit odd? It seems like a successfull poison triggering hit, just sprays the goop about the place, commonly hitting my own lot.

Yeah, too late. What have I missed out on?
    She attacks you and you feel bad. :)
    Spear wrote: »
    Is the poison on weapons system a bit odd? It seems like a successfull poison triggering hit, just sprays the goop about the place, commonly hitting my own lot.

I think so. Poison has never really been too much of a problem for me, as it doesn't do too much damage so I never really worry about it until after combat. I don't know if there's other ways of using poison on weapons that only effects your target. I think it's probably only best used with archers so that they can hit NPC's as they run at you, rather than using poison up close.

Well I knew she attacked me! But I was afraid I'd missed out on a quest or an item or something. I actually meant to speak to her but clicked the wrong thing.

Nah, I think it's just to add to things a little. I killed her, but reloaded after and haven't seen any mention of her again, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Don't know how this gone under my radar... stumbled across this review...

Im sold. Will buy as soon as I get paid !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Is this more like divine divinity or divinity 2 ?

Advertisement