Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apologies

Options
  • 10-04-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

How does everyone feel about receiving an apology, particularly for an opinion held. I've seen a few cases in the media lately were people in a position of influence said some controversial stuff and were then made to publicly apologise or retract statements. What is the point in forcing someone to apologise? Nothing can take away what they have said or done.

Even in my personal life, even if you really are sorry then change your behaviour. But I don't think anyone should have to apologise just because people get offended

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Especially if the apology is in any way half-arsed or not earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

Depends on the context and if I feel they mean it and are worth forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I think you're a big fool.

Sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I regret nothing, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Sometimes opinions are best kept to ones self there is a tíme and place for everything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I regret nothing, sorry.

Not even that Thai ladyboy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Apologies can be very weird experience's at times.

I often she up feeling sorry for the person apologizing to me at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

When you say you have seen it in the media do you mean politicians apologising or celebrities? (Ken Barlow springs to mind)

It might help if you could give instances of it occurring to you personally?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Not even that Thai ladyboy?

Nah, I'd try anything once or twice or a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Some people just want a public apology to make themselves better but if it's not genuine what is the point. I hate the word sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Thank them for their apology, telling them how much it will make the lesser humans understand, once someone big up in the glen says sorry, it is OK to do wrong, but remember to apologize,

Then off with their heads, the lot of them, we need soup and we need something to make the stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

catallus wrote: »
    When you say you have seen it in the media do you mean politicians apologising or celebrities? (Ken Barlow springs to mind)

It might help if you could give instances of it occurring to you personally?

Ken Barlow was just who I was thinking of.
    I just think, what is the point, you've said what you've said, you can't take it back. The apology is only being given because they have been forced

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

In the sun
    in the sun we feel as one
    in the sun, in the sun
    Married
    Buried

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I never apologise. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

apologies are only worth it if they are completely meant by the person apologising, and backed up with the person not making the same mistakes again imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I lose respect for people that apologies after saying something that I may/may not agreed with.

Apologising in Barlow's case ( I can't even be bothered to look up his real name!) was damage control, to quieten the media about his rather eccentric views on the afterlife. I think Glen Hoddle, an English football manager, prematurely ended his career a few years ago by spouting the same stuff.

Adults (in the public eye) don't apologise because they are sorry, it's all about damage control, and not losing face for holding an opinion or stance that others would look down on.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    apologies are only worth it if they are completely meant by the person apologising, and backed up with the person not making the same mistakes again imo

or giving a blow job, or washing the floor (with their pubic hair)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I agree OP. Forced apologies are completely meaningless.

I never apologise. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am

Ha ha, you said I'M. ( your funny).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Apologising for expressing an honest opinion is pointless and cowardly. People in the public eye probably do it on the advice of their agents.

However, if you react and say something unnecessarily cruel when upset or angry that you don't really mean, then yes you should apologise.

Would one not consider forced apologies to be the most meaningful, rather than the most meaningless? If someone is forced to contradict themselves by force (physical or psychological) then isn't that the best way to publicly modify their behaviour? I think that's the reason why the media are so happy to chase down politicians or slebs when they espouse some weird philosophy or otherwise go against the grain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

An apology can be an amazingly effective message in a work environment. Most people don't do it and look for others to blame which re-inforces the respect you get for taking it on the chin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

People in the public eye mostly make public apologies in order to keep the privileged position they hold in life and to keep the Bank manager happy.

It is impossible to read a persons mind and know what their real attitudes and prejudices are.

A lot of time the celebrities get caught out in an ill judged moment and then have to "repair the damage" afterwards to keep the earning potential alive.

An old Latin phrase "in vino veritas" comes to mind...in wine there is truth.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Ha ha, you said I'M. ( your funny).
    How is that funny? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Was told recently that my opinion of gender is sexist and misinformed.
    Now everyone is probably calling me sexist.
    Im not sexist and don't give a **** who I offended by saying what I said about gender. I find what they believe about gender to be seriously offensive.
    So **** em' I'm not ****ing apologising.

and 'in vino veritas'? Is there ****. I tend to agree with people when I'm pissed even when they're talking bollox.

I am a very angry young man, please ignore me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

If a wrong doing has occured and it's a serious breach that hurt or damaged another person, an apology from the wrong doer, acknowledges what they've done and it's a step towards correcting and rectifying the problem. Without an apology it would appear that the wrong doer simply doesn't care what he/she has done and may appear that he/she is proud of his/her actions that led to another being aggrieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Red Pepper wrote: »
    An apology can be an amazing effective message in a work environment. Most people don't do it and look for others to blame which re-inforces the respect you get for taking it on the chin.

That's it. An apology establishes huge respect in that you can put your hand up and say you've done wrong instead of cowardly hinding a mistake or wrong doing. You can take steps at rectifying a problem early on whereas if you run and hind from a fcuk up, it has the potential to get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh apologising is unlikely to change the person's position - but I think there are times when it's only fitting to apologise either for the way they express it, or for the expression of it at all if it's particularly hurtful. Some sh1t you just do not say if you're a public figure.

Like this twat: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/councillor-refuses-to-resign-after-telling-campaigners-that-disabled-children-should-be-put-down-8513138.html

He can think it all he likes or say it in private, but what good is saying it publicly? And **** "free speech" in this instance. It's of no advantage to anyone. If he was a member of a group that openly lobbied for such a thing, then ok... that's where free speech comes in to play - so that people can challenge such a view. But not a public representative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

When people apologise to me I feel a sense of relief, because they won't be bothering me anymore about whichever issue it was, or because they have just reaffirmed that my position was right.
    I only apologise to defuse a situation and avoid future confrontations. I rarely feel remorse

Advertisement