Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apologies

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Especially if the apology is in any way half-arsed or not earnest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Anyone saying sorry to me for anything is a pet hate of mine, I'd prefer just move on already.

Sometimes in a discussion I'll be civil and apologise if I take someone up wrong, but offline? I rather just let something go and get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How does everyone feel about receiving an apology, particularly for an opinion held. I've seen a few cases in the media lately were people in a position of influence said some controversial stuff and were then made to publicly apologise or retract statements. What is the point in forcing someone to apologise? Nothing can take away what they have said or done.

Even in my personal life, even if you really are sorry then change your behaviour. But I don't think anyone should have to apologise just because people get offended

People who may have said something libelous apologise to avoid being sued.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

It's a sad, sad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

It's a sad, sad situation.

And its getting more absurd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Yeh apologising is unlikely to change the person's position - but I think there are times when it's only fitting to apologise either for the way they express it, or for the expression of it at all if it's particularly hurtful. Some sh1t you just do not say if you're a public figure.

Like this twat: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/councillor-refuses-to-resign-after-telling-campaigners-that-disabled-children-should-be-put-down-8513138.html

He can think it all he likes or say it in private, but what good is saying it publicly? And **** "free speech" in this instance. It's of no advantage to anyone. If he was a member of a group that openly lobbied for such a thing, then ok... that's where free speech comes in to play - so that people can challenge such a view. But not a public representative.
    Holy sh1t. That's mental. Why the hell did he go to that event to do that. I can't even find words to properly describe what he did..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whole hearted apoligies like Enda Kennys to the Magdalene women are fine

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Jester252 wrote: »
    I lose respect for people that apologies after saying something that I may/may not agreed with.

Me too. TD makes controversial statement. Media goes ape. TD backtracks and makes a groveling apology. If you said it originally, then you probably meant it. Apologising for your original comments show you up to be a pussy and afraid to stand by your beliefs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

so may "apologies" are like this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Apologies should be accompanied by a well padded brown paper bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I never have to give them , I'm always right !

Advertisement